Author Topic: [IC] Noxary 280 & 220  (Read 90504 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] Noxary 280 & 220
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:39:52 »
Sorry I'm still pretty new here.  So in a case like this, would there be a lottery when demand outstrips supply?  Or just FCFS?

Everything will be FCFS for this since I think there are plenty to go around over the two versions :p

I'll be doing a limited version of 30 because 1) keeps the custom stuff smaller, and easier; 2) I like limited stuff; 3) makes them even more special ;D

Do i need to buy the numpad as well for the special edition?

What kind of monster buys a limited edition custom color keyboard without both parts O_o.

An optimistic, yet poor one.

me irl
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Shados

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:50:45 »
I'd definitely be interested in the cerakoted option.

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 20:37:31 »
In

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 10:41:22 »
I know you don't like diffusers, but is there any chance we can get one?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:01:51 »
I know you don't like diffusers, but is there any chance we can get one?

might be awkward to have a diffuser if it's USB-C, but I don't know what type of cutout xondat's gonna use
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:10:18 »
I place the port cutout on the bottom piece, so any extension would mean the port wouldn't fit.

My greatest intention is to make the typing plane as low as possible, so adding anything unnecessary undermines the months of work I put into getting as low as possible.

A diffuser would be an afterthought and not fit with my vision, so I won't be having one. :)

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:14:07 »
I place the port cutout on the bottom piece, so any extension would mean the port wouldn't fit.

My greatest intention is to make the typing plane as low as possible, so adding anything unnecessary undermines the months of work I put into getting as low as possible.

A diffuser would be an afterthought and not fit with my vision, so I won't be having one. :)

Oh well,  I didn't really expect one. Keeping it classy :cool:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:14:40 »

also it seems like most people think they look ****, so probably for the better

Offline wetnwylde

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:03:48 »
Put me down for both in Cerakote white.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:05:20 by wetnwylde »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:10:23 »
Is this bundle only or can you purchase the TKL without the numpad?

Do I need to buy the numpad as well for the special edition?

Sorry I missed these, it'll probably go as follows:

30 limited 280s and 30 limited 220s.

Anyone getting a 280 has first priority to get the matching 220 number.

Any left over limited 220s will then go to any non-limited 280 buyers.

If there are still limited 220s left, will be available as just the pad.

If all 30 220s sell out, I'll do non-limited, but doubt it :))

Offline Peppermint216

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:31:40 »

Oh, I though it was 30 limited 280s in custom colours and some more 280s in standard colours?

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:34:08 »
Put me down for the 280 & 220 in cerakote purple.  No way this purchase is making it through wife approval if she doesn't like the colour  :p

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:39:19 »

OOOOH YES I DON'T HAVE TO RUIN MY BUDGET
And the last questions: can we anodize the top and bottom of the case different colors, and will the brass be pvd coated?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:42:30 »
Oh, I though it was 30 limited 280s in custom colours and some more 280s in standard colours?

Yeah, just was referring to solely numbered cases :)

And the last questions: can we anodize the top and bottom of the case different colors, and will the brass be pvd coated?

Of course, and nope, brass will be media blasted. I don't like the aesthetic of PVD.

Offline Peppermint216

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:44:51 »
Ah good, think I'll get one limited or not :)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:48:35 »
Of course, and nope, brass will be media blasted. I don't like the aesthetic of PVD.

What does "media blasted" brass look like ( shiny or matte finish )?  Does it tarnish?  Is it easy/hard to clean?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:50:38 »

tarnishing feelsbadman
would a lacquer be a good idea?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:15:12 »

tarnishing feelsbadman

it's what i do

i have no problems, but i know some people have had problems with it before

Offline stxfreak

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:46:41 »
will both versions have the number engraved (limited vs normal colors) and will the limited one be more expensive? Still debating if I want a 60% or a really nice TKL for my money... it looks really nice!

if the price for the limited ones isnt much higher, put me down for one of those, not sure about the color yet. (only 280, not the budget for both)
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:05:53 by stxfreak »
TGR Jane V2

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:32:56 »

:-*

What does "media blasted" brass look like ( shiny or matte finish )?  Does it tarnish?  Is it easy/hard to clean?

Matte finish, so identical to the weights basically. It does tarnish, and I haven't tried cleaning because I like it :p

tarnishing feelsbadman

Would probably work, just don't add too much because I use quite tight tolerances :eek:

will both versions have the number engraved (limited vs normal colors) and will the limited one be more expensive? Still debating if I want a 60% or a really nice TKL for my money... it looks really nice!

if the price for the limited ones isnt much higher, put me down for one of those, not sure about the color yet. (only 280, not the budget for both)

No, just limited. And no, price will be the same (unless cerakoting). Thanks :D

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:35:18 »

:-*

Matte finish, so identical to the weights basically. It does tarnish, and I haven't tried cleaning because I like it :p

Show Image

tarnishing feelsbadman

Would probably work, just don't add too much because I use quite tight tolerances :eek:

No, just limited. And no, price will be the same (unless cerakoting). Thanks :D

Holy **** that is a sexy looking weight. Will we need to pick exact anodization/cerakote colors when we fill out the FCFS form or will we have time to choose?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:41:11 »
Holy **** that is a sexy looking weight. Will we need to pick exact anodization/cerakote colors when we fill out the FCFS form or will we have time to choose?

See ;)

I let everyone confirm their anodizing choice later, and cerakoting can be changed until I get the parts in.

Offline stxfreak

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:45:15 »

See ;)

I let everyone confirm their anodizing choice later, and cerakoting can be changed until I get the parts in.

okay, nice! put me down for a limited one then, i'll decide on the color later. :)
TGR Jane V2

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 18:27:58 »

See ;)

Yessssss I gotta start researching the best red cerakotes now

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:58:28 »

See ;)

there are only four options

stoplight red

S&W red

crimson

USMC red

you can order up to 5 swatches, free in US, not sure about globally

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 22:11:48 »

See ;)

stoplight red

S&W red

crimson

USMC red

Really? How do I order swatches?
Are there swatches for anodization too, or do I just provide a pantone code?

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 22:48:23 »
Damn hopefully this gb opens when I'm not working that way I can make sure to get in on this cerakote action.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 23:39:46 »

See ;)

stoplight red

S&W red

crimson

USMC red

Really? How do I order swatches?
Are there swatches for anodization too, or do I just provide a pantone code?

and then just put in the color codes you want

ano, depends on factory, up to xondat to get samples

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 00:18:53 »
Going to put up a form later and see where the interest lies. I’ve only seen people comment for the limited 280, so it’s kind of worrying that all the demand lies in 30 boards as I was planning to produce a lot more.

I am still very thankful that so many are interested :D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 06:25:40 »
Going to put up a form later and see where the interest lies. I’ve only seen people comment for the limited 280, so it’s kind of worrying that all the demand lies in 30 boards as I was planning to produce a lot more.

It'd perhaps be wise to open up the cerakoting / custom color option to some more folks, as therein lies quite a lot of the interest.

I might join this, but I might require time to decide. Things are moving too quickly for me, both in expenses and in timing relative to real-life circumstances.

Best of luck and thanks for your diligence, xondat.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 06:26:45 »
Can someone please explain the difference in finish between cerakoting and anodising, is it like rough matt vs shiny metallic or more subtle than that?

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 11:00:15 »
I definitely want a brown 280 and matching 220 will try my best to make it in but if not will still go in on normal edition. Love the xondat treatment and style :)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 11:29:19 »

I ordered some swatches and it was still free to Canada. Will probably take a good while to arrive though since the sender has “gun” in their name.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 11:33:31 »

I ordered some swatches and it was still free to Canada. Will probably take a good while to arrive though since the sender has “gun” in their name.

You are now on a list
A canadian list

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:03:36 »
Can someone please explain the difference in finish between cerakoting and anodising, is it like rough matt vs shiny metallic or more subtle than that?

anodizing: oxidizing aluminum in a way to make the surface harder and more durable, better explained by this video

pros: pretty durable, a few nice finish options, there's an anodizers guild with tons of info about it, can be done in your backyard if you're really curious

cons: limited color options, no two batches are exactly the same color, prone to defects

cerakote: a super durable coating often used to "paint" guns. it is NOT the same as powdercoating. here's a random video i found of the application process (that i didn't watch all of) 

pros: many color options (can mix it to get ones that aren't canned), can be cheaper than anodizing in some cases, often easier to get done local

cons: bad cerakoting is (in terms of looks) worse than bad anodizing, excessively durable in terms of keyboards unless you're weird and keep knives on your desk, hard to find cerakote shops in some places

from my experience with cerakoting and anodizing and discussions with makers, the hierarchy is a bit like this: good anodizing > good cerakote > bad anodizing > bad cerakote

my personal preference is powdercoat, since there are lot more color/finish options than cerakote, and i think it looks better

poco is less durable and often more expensive to do than cerakote, however

hope this helps

It'd perhaps be wise to open up the cerakoting / custom color option to some more folks, as therein lies quite a lot of the interest.

I might join this, but I might require time to decide. Things are moving too quickly for me, both in expenses and in timing relative to real-life circumstances.

i agree, but imagine the work involved in QCing 70 boards where you have to color match all of them
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:14:35 by Puddsy »

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:51:09 »
has puddsy gotten an award for person most involved with things hes not involved in at all, yet?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:37:47 »
has puddsy gotten an award for person most involved with things hes not involved in at all, yet?

He is the foreman afterall...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:42:40 »

into the signature you go

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:43:30 »

into the signature you go

najs  :cool:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:45:57 »

i just hate waiting for updates

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 15:02:29 »

i just hate waiting for updates

Aren't we all

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 15:53:52 »

pros: pretty durable, a few nice finish options, there's an anodizers guild with tons of info about it, can be done in your backyard if you're really curious

cons: limited color options, no two batches are exactly the same color, prone to defects

pros: many color options (can mix it to get ones that aren't canned), can be cheaper than anodizing in some cases, often easier to get done local

cons: bad cerakoting is (in terms of looks) worse than bad anodizing, excessively durable in terms of keyboards unless you're weird and keep knives on your desk, hard to find cerakote shops in some places

from my experience with cerakoting and anodizing and discussions with makers, the hierarchy is a bit like this: good anodizing > good cerakote > bad anodizing > bad cerakote

my personal preference is powdercoat, since there are lot more color/finish options than cerakote, and i think it looks better

poco is less durable and often more expensive to do than cerakote, however

hope this helps

i agree, but imagine the work involved in QCing 70 boards where you have to color match all of them

Thank you Puddsy, I had a feeling you would come through with the goods here :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2018, 16:16:08 by mudcakehoney »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 16:28:37 »
Thank you Puddsy, I had a feeling you would come through with the goods here :thumb:

no problem

Offline megaforce

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 17:25:00 »
love me some puddsy

one of those good geekhack members
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline MMKB

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:25:22 »
Saw your Noxary's Project Page and was curious about the naming convention. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I'm wondering why some names have the 'X' prefix and some don't.

On the other hand, I'd really appreciate a non-brass insert as an option. I'm really struggling when carrying the X60. The inertia is so great that bouncing around might damage the keys/switches. Therefore I have to wrap it excessively each time. The super smooth finish doesn't help either. Most people here probably don't mind but I think the point needs to be made.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:38:42 by MMKB »

Offline prelude46

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:52:05 »
What case colors will be available outside the possible limited edition stuff? I love me some dark gray like the mockups are.

Not decided yet. Definitely Black, Silver, and Dark Gray. Down to do Red, and maybe a Navy.

wheres the xrf

are u gonna include screws for the screw in stabs tho

Wrong thread m8

$%#@ me! I like it so much I think I'll try to get into this GB too. Take it easy on my wallet mate!

Hopefully little effort needs to be made, judging by the comments, I think there will be a quite high quantity. Should be easier on your wallet too :cool:

Interesting, will the limited editions have different weight cut outs/serial numbers like the 268?

If I can think of something new ;D

What configuration of materials does the stated 2.4kg weight refer to?  All aluminum?  With brass options?

Aluminum plate for both :)

For the sample PCBs, I'll order red and make my choice after that. Might as well mix it up a bit!

P.S. Added a hole that'll be on all plates for the reset button (for when programming). It's the worst thing when you're done assembling a case and need to undo 10 screws to press it :'(

Show Image

Navy would be sooo hot. How many more standard colors were you thinking of doing? I'd be most interested in the standard dark gray or some kind of blue if you include that as an option.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 19:01:50 »
Saw your Noxary's Project Page and was curious about the naming convention. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I'm wondering why some names have the 'X' prefix and some don't.

On the other hand, I'd really appreciate a non-brass insert as an option. I'm really struggling when carrying the X60. The inertia is so great that bouncing around might damage the keys/switches. Therefore I have to wrap it excessively each time. The super smooth finish doesn't help either. Most people here probably don't mind but I think the point needs to be made.

I think a non brass insert would be neat

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 19:17:53 »
Saw your Noxary's Project Page and was curious about the naming convention. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Some names have the 'X' prefix and some don't.

280/220 can be broken down to Series 2 (2XX), and 80/20%.

Series 2 is essentially the architecture of the cases which took almost a year of research/modelling etc. Thinking about it, I'm not sure there will be a Series 3.

Of course the only three boards to make it to GB are exceptions to this naming scheme (xondat 60; Series 2 68 key; xondat 60 revised) :rolleyes:

Maaaaaybe. It isn't in my vision but I can completely understand it. It would save 993 grams :))

Navy would be sooo hot. How many more standard colors were you thinking of doing? I'd be most interested in the standard dark gray or some kind of blue if you include that as an option.

My 268 AG is Navy, so if I fall in love with it (I hope I will), then it'll make its return.

I don't want to make standard too complicated, as that's saved for the limited builds, but I don't want to make the customization gap too large as it'll just flop. Unsure on everything at the minute.

Offline prelude46

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 20:01:43 »
Saw your Noxary's Project Page and was curious about the naming convention. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Some names have the 'X' prefix and some don't.

280/220 can be broken down to Series 2 (2XX), and 80/20%.

Series 2 is essentially the architecture of the cases which took almost a year of research/modelling etc. Thinking about it, I'm not sure there will be a Series 3.

Of course the only three boards to make it to GB are exceptions to this naming scheme (xondat 60; Series 2 68 key; xondat 60 revised) :rolleyes:

Maaaaaybe. It isn't in my vision but I can completely understand it. It would save 993 grams :))

My 268 AG is Navy, so if I fall in love with it (I hope I will), then it'll make its return.

I don't want to make standard too complicated, as that's saved for the limited builds, but I don't want to make the customization gap too large as it'll just flop. Unsure on everything at the minute.

Understandable. If no navy, I'd totally be in for the winkey dark gray.

Offline HardcoreDesk

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 21:51:42 »
Neon Tie Dye Mix better be a standard color.