Author Topic: Ducky ,KBP or KUL?Need advise for second mechanical keyboard.  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
Ducky ,KBP or KUL?Need advise for second mechanical keyboard.
« on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 20:20:22 »
My first one was a BW with cherry mx blue,and now i want a red cherry mx board. There is this great site for Europe http://mechanicalkeyboards.nl/en/home/ and except the mini model,if you can take a look over the tenkeyless and full size models and give me your opinions ,I would totally appreciate it.Why this site?Other sites want huge amounts of money 50-70 for shipping internationally and not,so I will go with this shop.I really liked the yellow ducky but heard from demik that one ducky keyboard used wasnt a top quality and even a dude named zeal that does custom keyboards and stuff,amazing person like demik helped me a lot both,suggested KUL and filcos.Your opinions guys?Really appreciated

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
Re: Ducky ,KBP or KUL?Need advise for second mechanical keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 21:56:30 »
I haven't had many mechanical kbds in my day (Model M, Das 4, and a KUL), but the KUL is the most solid keyboard I've owned or used.  No flex, it doesn't move, feels great.  It feels like I'm typing on a brick while the Das feels cheap by comparison.  I doubt you'll regret purchasing one!  :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 22:51:29 »
People rave about the build quality of KUL. I haven't tried them, but this is something I trust the GH hivemind on.

Go for Ducky if you want backlighting. They have a lot of different modes, and 99% of the time they are very reliable.

KBP... I only have the V60 Mini, and I am very happy with the build quality and the form factor.

I am curious as to why you don't want to go down the Ducky Mini path though.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 22:59:44 »
KUL: buy if you want the best build quality and don't care about backlighting
Ducky: buy if you still want really good build quality and backlighting
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 23:35:39 »
Another vote for KUL. I honestly could picture it clunking away for 20 years, it's so solid.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 02:56:02 »
KUL: buy if you want the best build quality and don't care about backlighting
Ducky: buy if you still want really good build quality and backlighting

^^This. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 08:28:41 »
I have a KUL and love it.  No experience with Ducky as I can't ever get past their silly name.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 08:33:22 »
I vote for a Ducky. I've been eyeing a Ducky Mini or Mini Year of the Horse for a while. Surprisingly great build quality. The cases are nice, the plate is beefy, and the PCB is SO thick. It was a joy to mod a Ducky OMG board.

The KUL 87 I tried was nice as well but I didn't take it apart or type on it for a significant period of time so my opinion on it is limited.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 10:16:21 »
KUL was better/ on par quality when compared with Filco, just by my own opinion. It's a combination of a low, grounded body and a great backplate - just gives a dead solid feeling.

Aside from the stock keycaps it's great :thumb:.

Offline drewba

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 10:17:36 »
My KUL is the absolutely best thing I've typed on so far. My only regret is not waiting for clears and getting browns instead :/

Full disclosure: I have less than 10 minutes typed on KBP, and haven't typed on a Ducky.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 10:38:56 »
If you decide backlighting is useless (which it is, it's only for aesthetics), KUL is maximally superior.

QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Tactile

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 11:07:19 »
I had a Ducky Premier like the yellow/black fullsized one (mine was different colors). It's a very nice keyboard & the PBT keycaps are an added bonus. I gave it away as a gift & have regretted doing that many times...
REΛLFORCE

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 12:50:20 »
I really dont like the design of the minis and i really want the arrows and the insert/etc,so kul >everything xD nice.no kbp either.I ll take the red switches,as i want something light and fast,or should i go for browns?I am using blues atm as I already said

Offline werear

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 19:56:22 »
I heard Ducky has firmware issue that causes input problem in keys at left hand area while gaming. For example when Shift and W to walk.

Offline MPZ

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 21:27:58 »
Owner of a KUL with red switches here and presuming you're ok with cherry stabilizers (the only thing I don't like about my KUL- I really wish the left shift was less stiff), I can definitely, heartily recommend it. All the good things you hear about their build quality are true in my experience.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 22:10:10 »
I really dont like the design of the minis and i really want the arrows and the insert/etc,so kul >everything xD nice.no kbp either.I ll take the red switches,as i want something light and fast,or should i go for browns?I am using blues atm as I already said

get reds then

i swear by them for everything
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90