Author Topic: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS [Closed]  (Read 144834 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:18:37 »
Got my delivery today, it's excellent!  Only question is, how do i edit the firmware?

metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper is probably the easiest. Just be sure to select JD45 (Carpe Keyboards) as the base.

It says here "Put your keyboard into bootloader mode", how do I do that with the JD45?
It's the little button switch on the bottom of the PCB. There is a hole in the case to access it. Just press once while connected to USB.

You may need to install WinAVR first, before jumping into bootloader mode for the first time, if using Windows.

Also, you'll need Atmel Flip to flash the firmware to the chip. Controller type is ATmega32U4.

I'm having some trouble it seems.  I installed WinAVR and when i press the button I assume it enters bootloader mode because the keyboard stops registering key presses.  But Atmel Flip tells me "Could not open USB device."  Any suggestions?
It's the driver. With the keyboard connected in bootloader mode, go to Device Manger and uninstall it. Then disconnect the keyboard. When you connect it again, and jump to bootloader, it should install the driver.
It isn't finding a driver when i plug it back in, do you know where I can get download the driver so I can install it manually?
It should install the correct driver if you've already installed WinAVR and Flip. I don't know what else to tell you. There are several threads here on GH related to flashing firmware.
anyone know where i can acquire the default firmware files? just in case i change my layout and I hate it
I can upload a default .hex file if you like.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:43:05 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rempire

« Reply #301 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:36:23 »
Got my delivery today, it's excellent!  Only question is, how do i edit the firmware?

metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper is probably the easiest. Just be sure to select JD45 (Carpe Keyboards) as the base.

It says here "Put your keyboard into bootloader mode", how do I do that with the JD45?
It's the little button switch on the bottom of the PCB. There is a hole in the case to access it. Just press once while connected to USB.

You may need to install WinAVR first, before jumping into bootloader mode for the first time, if using Windows.

Also, you'll need Atmel Flip to flash the firmware to the chip. Controller type is ATmega32U4.

I'm having some trouble it seems.  I installed WinAVR and when i press the button I assume it enters bootloader mode because the keyboard stops registering key presses.  But Atmel Flip tells me "Could not open USB device."  Any suggestions?
It's the driver. With the keyboard connected in bootloader mode, go to Device Manger and uninstall it. Then disconnect the keyboard. When you connect it again, and jump to bootloader, it should install the driver.
It isn't finding a driver when i plug it back in, do you know where I can get download the driver so I can install it manually?
It should install the correct driver if you've already installed WinAVR and Flip. I don't know what else to tell you. There are several threads here on GH related to flashing firmware.
anyone know where i can acquire the default firmware files? just in case i change my layout and I hate it
I can upload a default .hex file if you like.

I would appreciate that very much so. Thank you!

Offline tuco

« Reply #302 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:40:59 »
I got mine in the mail today, can't wait to get a chance to put it together, although I don't have any keycaps for it right now.

Thanks again jdcarpe for everything!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #303 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:43:43 »
I would appreciate that very much so. Thank you!

It's now attached both to the OP, and to the previous post you quoted. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 18:43:07 »
Got mine today! Love the weight of the board and can't wait to get out built!

Now to figure out what type of switches and spring weighting.

Thanks again JD!

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:37:15 »

Just put it together and reprogrammed it too.  I had to install the driver manually.  The driver is in the FLIP folder.  "usb" subfolder.

Offline fox112

« Reply #306 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 02:41:56 »
edit: fixed, life is great!
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2016, 12:47:32 by fox112 »

Offline Gnrl Kitty

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 10:20:57 »

Just put it together and reprogrammed it too.  I had to install the driver manually.  The driver is in the FLIP folder.  "usb" subfolder.

(Attachment Link)
THANK YOU.  I kept looking for the driver in the subfolders of "USB" and didn't think to let it search the actual "USB" folder for the driver.  That fixed the driver problem I was having and Atmel Flip not finding the device.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #308 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 13:58:32 »
I put together a little programming guide and firmware reference here.

Please let me know if that helps, or if I need to revise anything.

in memoriam

Offline MMKB

« Reply #309 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 14:08:59 »
Hi JD, thank you for creating this beautiful board!

There's only one issue with mine: I can't make the 6u spacebar work. I used Easy AVR/dfu-programmer on the Mac to flash the firmware and chose JD45 (Carpe keyboards) with the layout "6x Space". Other custom key mappings work but I found the spacebar unable to create any space with either the default JD45 firmware or with my own layout. I even tried defining the spacebar to produce a letter "T" in my own layout but it still seems to register nothing. Desoldering and soldering the switch under the spacebar also didn't help.

Please let me know what info you need to troubleshoot this issue. Really appreciate your help.

Update: Aqual's KeyTest indicates that the spacebar didn't produce any keystroke.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2016, 14:41:07 by Khylnn »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 14:58:41 »

There's only one issue with mine: I can't make the 6u spacebar work. I used Easy AVR/dfu-programmer on the Mac to flash the firmware and chose JD45 (Carpe keyboards) with the layout "6x Space". Other custom key mappings work but I found the spacebar unable to create any space with either the default JD45 firmware or with my own layout. I even tried defining the spacebar to produce a letter "T" in my own layout but it still seems to register nothing. Desoldering and soldering the switch under the spacebar also didn't help.

Please let me know what info you need to troubleshoot this issue. Really appreciate your help.

Update: Aqual's KeyTest indicates that the spacebar didn't produce any keystroke.

Try it with the default firmware .hex file I uploaded here. That should work, even with the 6u spacebar.

in memoriam

Offline MMKB

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 15:59:01 »

Try it with the default firmware .hex file I uploaded here. That should work, even with the 6u spacebar.

It worked! Seems like the default one rather than the 6u layout works for me, even if I'm using 6u spacebar. Thank you! This made my day.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 16:14:32 »

It worked! Seems like the default one rather than the 6u layout works for me, even if I'm using 6u spacebar. Thank you! This made my day.

Glad that worked for you! You can now modify it to your liking, using the <ALL KEYS> version. I guess I need to help fix the 6x version, and submit a pull request for Easy AVR.

in memoriam

Offline Liocer

« Reply #313 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 17:08:18 »
So sad I didn't have the cash for this at the time, will have to wait for the next time I guess. There's always the JD40 but it's not "quite" as nice :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #314 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 17:09:25 »
So sad I didn't have the cash for this at the time, will have to wait for the next time I guess. There's always the JD40 but it's not "quite" as nice :(

You can get one now: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=345

in memoriam

Offline Liocer

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 01:33:06 »

You can get one now: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=345
Woo payday Friday incoming. Will be my birthday treat to myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MMKB

« Reply #316 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 00:14:46 »
First day I used it at work, one colleague wanted to use my computer. He sat down, stared at the board for 3 seconds, smiled, and grabbed an Apple keyboard from the next desk.

Anyway I have a few issues that I couldn't figure out

- How do you get F1~F12 to work?
- How to trigger the macro defined in EasyAVR?
- Has anyone tried to superglue aluminum feet? How did it go?

Thanks.

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 00:25:07 »

My coworkers know not to use my keyboards.
The function keys use the second FN button and are in the same place as the number keys
The macros have to be assigned to a key... something like M1  M2 etc...
I wouldnt do something that permanent. I dont like elevating my keyboards anyway

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #318 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 00:25:41 »
First day I used it at work, one colleague wanted to use my computer. He sat down, stared at the board for 3 seconds, smiled, and grabbed an Apple keyboard from the next desk.

Anyway I have a few issues that I couldn't figure out

Thanks.

-Pressing and holding FN2 should trigger F1~F12 See attachment
-Which macro are you speaking of?
-I would recommend using Double-sided tape to secure the feet as it is a less permanent option and will make the feet easy to remove if you choose to.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 07:42:02 »

I did using backing tape, and it definitely helps with the angle, but is not permanent. I believe the conversation is in this thread.

Offline odd

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:14:00 »
Have windows search for updated driver and point it at the flip install did.  The working driver is there.

Fake edit: for win7 and 10. Also qmk firmware has a new guy based firmware flasher for Windows you c old try that

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #321 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:51:43 »
Have windows search for updated driver and point it at the flip install did.  The working driver is there.

Fake edit: for win7 and 10. Also qmk firmware has a new guy based firmware flasher for Windows you c old try that

Thanks, I posted a programming guide for Windows here and at http://jd45.info, but some people might not have seen it.

in memoriam

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #322 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 14:56:38 »
Someone linked a pic from a s3 amazon instance and now this thread give security warnings... just FYI!!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #323 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 15:30:00 »
Someone linked a pic from a s3 amazon instance and now this thread give security warnings... just FYI!!

Have you found the image?  I was looking for it (getting the same thing), but none of the images present on the page are linked from offsite.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 16:46:39 »
I don't suppose any of these are still available, are they?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #325 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 16:47:33 »
I don't suppose any of these are still available, are they?

You can get one from MechanicalKeyboards.com :)

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=345

in memoriam

Offline DaveB

« Reply #326 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 09:43:26 »
Thank you for that link.  I like this keyboard, and I'm not discounting it yet, but I came here looking to find the components for a JD40, and I think that's still what I want.  Some of them seem to have a more consumer ready box-like surround for the PCB, others have two plates held apart by short lengths of tube with screws, 6 of them I think.  I wish my vocabulary were better, but I'd be very happy to find the later parts rather than the former.  What did you call the style I prefer?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #327 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 09:50:52 »
Thank you for that link.  I like this keyboard, and I'm not discounting it yet, but I came here looking to find the components for a JD40, and I think that's still what I want.  Some of them seem to have a more consumer ready box-like surround for the PCB, others have two plates held apart by short lengths of tube with screws, 6 of them I think.  I wish my vocabulary were better, but I'd be very happy to find the later parts rather than the former.  What did you call the style I prefer?

Skeleton case is what your interested in.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 10:16:33 »
Thanks!  A skeleton case it is.

Offline remwang

« Reply #329 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 09:25:00 »
Silly question, but how do you type, say, the "at" sign? tried right fn + b but didn't work.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #330 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 09:27:22 »
Silly question, but how do you type, say, the "at" sign? tried right fn + b but didn't work.

Shift + left Fn + B

in memoriam

Offline remwang

« Reply #331 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 09:30:33 »

Shift + left Fn + B

Oo I didn't realize Shift + left Fn + B is different from left Fn + Shift + B thanks!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #332 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 10:08:56 »

Shift + left Fn + B

Oo I didn't realize Shift + left Fn + B is different from left Fn + Shift + B thanks!

They work the same on my JD45, not sure about yours. I just meant that Shift + 2 is @.

in memoriam

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #333 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 21:12:42 »
Help! I'm not sure it I bricked my JD45 (blocked version) :( After following the instructions and flashing, the FLIP app said the verification was ok. However, upon reconnecting, it no longer registers any keypress. I reflashed to the default you provided but still nothing. Is the a way to troubleshoot/fix this? I've attached the files below.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #334 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 21:16:20 »
Help! I'm not sure it I bricked my JD45 (blocked version) :( After following the instructions and flashing, the FLIP app said the verification was ok. However, upon reconnecting, it no longer registers any keypress. I reflashed to the default you provided but still nothing. Is the a way to troubleshoot/fix this? I've attached the files below.

Hmmm, I wonder if it didn't pick up the hex file when you were flashing. If it didn't, Flip would simply erase the programming, blank the firmware, and verify it to be blank. I bet that's what happened. Try it again, but do the step where you select the firmware hex file later in the process, just before flashing.

Edit: Just realized something -- there is a space in the name of your hex file. Rename it without the space, and Flip won't blank your firmware.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2016, 21:18:01 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 21:57:59 »

Hmmm, I wonder if it didn't pick up the hex file when you were flashing. If it didn't, Flip would simply erase the programming, blank the firmware, and verify it to be blank. I bet that's what happened. Try it again, but do the step where you select the firmware hex file later in the process, just before flashing.

Edit: Just realized something -- there is a space in the name of your hex file. Rename it without the space, and Flip won't blank your firmware.

Omg, that's it! Thanks for the super fast response. Totally enjoying typing on the JD45 :)

Also, I'm figuring out how to program individual key backlighting. For instance, I'd like the WASD keys to light up when I toggle Function layer 2 for my arrow cluster. Is there a way to do that?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #336 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 08:58:32 »
Also, I'm figuring out how to program individual key backlighting. For instance, I'd like the WASD keys to light up when I toggle Function layer 2 for my arrow cluster. Is there a way to do that?

No, the backlighting LEDs aren't individually addressable. They are all on the same circuit, except for the Caps Lock LED.

in memoriam

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:27:22 »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the JD45 support a 8x 1.25 + 2x 1.5 bottom row?
Thanks!

Offline longcat

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:33:22 »
Would like to see some of the custom key sets people are using on their builds. Got mine built but still struggling with which caps.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 11:04:03 »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the JD45 support a 8x 1.25 + 2x 1.5 bottom row?
Thanks!

No, all the layout options are here.

Would like to see some of the custom key sets people are using on their builds. Got mine built but still struggling with which caps.

Any set that included options for JD40 compatibility should work. You can see Hack'd by Geeks, Green Tea, and R5 (Honey) in the OP. Also, Deep Space had a JD40 kit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 11:07:02 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline mteinum

« Reply #340 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 13:04:15 »
Help needed!

I have soldered all switches and diodes. Uploaded the firmware using the step-by-step guide here: http://jd40.info/

All diodes are light, but there are problem with keys not working. I have tried to resolder the switch, shorten it with a screwdriver, but no luck.

JD40mkII by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

The keys not working are: D11, D23, D34, D44

Here is the rest of the board:

JD40mkII by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

So, how and where do I debug this problem. Aqua's Key Test register no action on the keys not working.

----
Tested with jd40_default.hex, still not working. Can the board be defect?
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 13:09:04 by mteinum »

Offline longcat

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 13:10:50 »
If you have access to a multimeter that you can test continuity with, I'd test those switches by touching the probes of the continuity tester to the pins on the switch and then pressing the switch to see if you have a connection. Short of that, I'd desolder the switch completely, clean up the connections, and drop a new switch in and see if that solves your problem. In my limited experience, 9 times out of 10 its a solder problem even if it looks good to the naked eye.

Offline mteinum

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 13:22:42 »
If you have access to a multimeter that you can test continuity with, I'd test those switches by touching the probes of the continuity tester to the pins on the switch and then pressing the switch to see if you have a connection.

Tested this, and all the switches are working as they should.

Short of that, I'd desolder the switch completely, clean up the connections, and drop a new switch in and see if that solves your problem. In my limited experience, 9 times out of 10 its a solder problem even if it looks good to the naked eye.

This is next out.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #343 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 14:50:06 »
If all 4 of those switches in column 11 aren't working, the problem is most likely a diode. Try reflowing solder on the top switch diode, labeled D11.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 14:51:38 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline mteinum

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 16:23:59 »
If all 4 of those switches in column 11 aren't working, the problem is most likely a diode. Try reflowing solder on the top switch diode, labeled D11.

I removed the K11 switch, resoldered the D11 diode, but still the same result.

Can it be one of the other diodes in that column? Or... I'll order another pcb from techkeys.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #345 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 16:59:23 »

Can it be one of the other diodes in that column? Or... I'll order another pcb from techkeys.

Hmm, yeah you might try the other diodes in that column as a last resort. If that doesn't work, either TechKeys or I will replace it for you under warranty.

in memoriam

Offline justin.wu

• * Commercial Vendor
  • Less is more
    • TEX
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 02:26:34 »

Hello !!

Please check this photo attachment , might be this issue ( trace might broken !! , please re-solder that trace )
you might be use knife scratch that trace cooper , that you can solder that !!
make different

Offline shem

« Reply #347 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 05:30:37 »
jdcarpe, are you still considering to produce another run of the Hack'd by geeks keysets?

HHKB2 pro, IBM Ultranav(travel & normal), AT102W, VT220, IBM model M Space Saver, IBM model F AT, Matias Mini Tactile Pro, JD45

Offline mteinum

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 10:16:10 »

Hello !!

Please check this photo attachment , might be this issue ( trace might broken !! , please re-solder that trace )
you might be use knife scratch that trace cooper , that you can solder that !!

That was just some dust. Wiped it off with some isopropanol. Still no luck. I have sent techkeys an email.

JD40 KR16 by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 12:01:08 »

No, the backlighting LEDs aren't individually addressable. They are all on the same circuit, except for the Caps Lock LED.

Thanks! Is the PF6&7 holes for the Capslock LED indicator light? If so, which is positive and which is negative?