Author Topic: IBM buckling spring - heavy space bar spring mod  (Read 2343 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
IBM buckling spring - heavy space bar spring mod
« on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 17:20:25 »
The other day I was cleaning up my work bench and came across a spring. I do not know where I got it or what it came from, but it looked like just the right size for an IBM buckling spring barrel and not very stiff.

I installed it on the space bar and it felt wonderful! Using the crude "stack of nickels" for measure, it increased the actuation force from ~70 grams to ~90 grams. But it also reduced rattle/clatter and made the entire length of the space bar seem firmer and more stable.

The jury is still out on whether the improvement is worth the extra effort required to use the key hour after hour, and I would certainly not want it on every key, but the space bar feels great so far.

This spring has a diameter of about 14.5 mm (<9/16") and a height of just under 7 mm (<1/4") with very thin wire and just barely over half of a single full turn around the circumference - this is an unusual and "weak" spring.

On DT someone suggested that it looked like the spring from a foam and foil key. If anyone has some of those I would love to know if they work. I could use a few more and I am guessing that other people could, too. Personally, I haven't seen a foam & foil keyboard in a long while, but if I can find one at salvage price, then selling them at $1 per spring + postage would probably be a way to make a few bucks.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM buckling spring - heavy space bar spring mod
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 07:23:40 »
42 views already and no responses. I was hoping that somebody knew where to find springs like this.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM buckling spring - heavy space bar spring mod
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 20:28:12 »
Saw this today :

https://www.facebook.com/ABKOHACKER/photos/a.1459369891041694.1073741828.1459367291041954/1647016218943726/?type=3&theater

From here - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84951.0

Not sure if they are a wide enough diameter though.

Yes, I had several other springs lying around but none were big enough to go around the barrel. The 14.45mm spring only had a tiny bit of extra, 14mm or so is probably about as small as you could reasonably go. The outside diameter of the barrel is 1/2" and it will need a little bit of play.