Author Topic: Can everyone share your results with the various 1.5mm materials on Ponoko.com?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

It seems like some people on here have used Ponoko.com to have their plates cut.  I've seen a few people using their Acrylic, and a few using plywood, etc

I've done some searching on GH, and I've read a bunch of discussions, but it's hard to decypher what was based on real results, and what was just brainstorming.

I don't think its worth discussing metals, as there is no question as to how well metals work.  I'm mostly interested in results with 1.5mm materials (to keep the click-in benefit of the MX switches), because it's pretty obvious that you can use any thickness of most materials if you are willing to glue/friction-mount.

Acrylic - most people say 1.5mm is too fragile, some people suggest a 2nd lower plate with larger holes to support the upper 1.5mm plate, has anyone really done this?  perhaps by gluing them together?  or perhaps no support-plate, and just used lots of standoffs/legs to support it?

Delrin - is 1.5mm too flexible?  do you need lots of standoffs/legs to keep it from sagging over time?

Silicone - same concerns as delrin?

Plywood - is 1.5mm too fragile?  perhaps the same solutions as 1.5mm acrylic (support-plate, or lots of legs)?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Probably the only material strong enough for a bare plate at 1.5mm would be stainless steel.  Aluminum would be OK if going in a case.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
I've seen an Atreus made of 1.5mm plywood plates.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
I think Atreus works because the bottom of the MX center mounting pin is sitting on the bottom plate.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
I have a plate made from their 1.5mm Delrin.  It's a bit thicker than 1.5, so my switches don't clip in mostly.

It's more flexible than acrylic.  Wouldn't use it as a standalone case but works fine for a plate. 
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
I think Atreus works because the bottom of the MX center mounting pin is sitting on the bottom plate.

Most Atreus use a PCB along with the wooden plate which gives that extra rigidity. I had enough clearance to route the excess cable of my micro-b extension between the bottom plate and PCB.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Spopepro

1.5mm thick metal of just about any variety will provide enough structure for a keyboard. Any non metallic material will need significant additional support.

1.5mm acrylic is pretty damn fragile. I didn't put the calipers on it, but I think the keyboard I have with a "1.5mm" acrylic plate is actually closer to 2mm. And then there's a 3mm layer below it. No need to glue because of the PCB; there's 5mm of space between the bottom of an MX switch and the lip that sits on the plate. If you are hand wiring, that's a different story. Acrylic is a pain to "glue", especially two sheets together.

Offline TD22057

Here's my build using a 1.5mm acrylic plate from ponoko: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82528.msg2186141

Works fine.  I used a technique that I found on another post here - use 2 3mm spacers and the switches will rest on the bottom plate so it's supported all around quite nicely.  I didn't glue them in so they're not that solid in the plate (they can be pulled out with your fingers) but that didn't cause any problems in using them.  So I think doing a 1.5mm plate + 3mm spacer + 3mm spacer + base works just fine.  It's reasonably cheap, easy to have made, and looks very good (I added a more expensive wood top cover for style but that's not strictly necessary).