Author Topic: Paperboard Container for Bluetooth Keyboard and Smartphone  (Read 2082 times)

Offline ibu

Paperboard Container for Bluetooth Keyboard and Smartphone
« on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 12:56:45 »
I do not (want to) own (and carry) a notebook. While on the way sometimes I like to write longer texts (e.g. in a train).

So I picked up my BT keyboard (of my desktop PC) and modified its original paperboard container.

After that I can use the keyboard on my knees, with the smartphone sticked to the swang out top cover.

On the back of my smartphone I sewed a piece of velcro onto the nylon protection cover of the phone.

The joints are made of clips, which are typically used to close envelopes of consignments.

May be someone out there likes the idea? My own needs for mobile typing are fullfilled.

12173-0

12175-1

12177-2

12179-3

Offline Dgsbllx

Re: Paperboard Container for Bluetooth Keyboard and Smartphone
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 13:17:36 »
Well its certainly a good idea for what is essentially a cardboard box bodge  :p. How long have you been using this? Does it stand the test of time? I'd be worried about the white cardboard beginning to look dirty as well, would drive me crazy if it did!

Nice job though, thought of everything.

Offline ibu

Re: Paperboard Container for Bluetooth Keyboard and Smartphone
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 13:32:19 »
The box without the joint I'm using since about half a year, some days a week. It stands. The joint has to stand the test. It's just 10 days old. But even if it breaks by accident. A replacement needs only a couple of minutes. But I think it will last a long time. There's not a lot of force (weight) on the joints.

About looking dirty: I love it, when it looks used.

Because I hate all advertisement in the way of logos etc. I will laminate the box with some ordinary coloured paper. And that will get dirty much more easily than the smooth white outside of the original box.

A technical improvement of the box, of course, could be done with grommets. But I do not own such a tool.

An ergonomic improvement could be to low the front edge of the keyboard rest. But on the other hand the hollow inside (under the keyboard) is a nice place to put a cable, replacement battery etc.