Author Topic: Red stem Cherry MX  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Red stem Cherry MX
« on: Thu, 27 November 2008, 22:56:29 »
http://www.wuji.org.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=41256

I wonder how these feel. From the Google translation it sounds like a lighter black MX, although mentions blue so maybe it is also clicky. I'm not sure what "linear confirmation" means.

Quote from:
First, under the simple touch, no sense of the paragraph, similar to black light axis, triggering a high sensitivity can be said to be light and enhanced version of the axis, after the trial completely replaced by a black shaft in my mind, and has reached the Green-axis Grade level, which is really like the feel. 打字轻快,节奏感强,而且毫不费力。 Light typing, strong sense of rhythm, and easily.

Offline djones

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 November 2008, 23:29:20 »
under the simple touch, no sense of the paragraph.

That's strange, brown cherry filco feels like pure paragraph, with a dash of run-on sentences and a sprinkle of section header.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 November 2008, 23:33:57 »
:lol:

A pic of one taken apart:
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/ncrf020.htm

I think they're 30g linear.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 November 2008, 00:04:13 »
Quote from: djones;12704
That's strange, brown cherry filco feels like pure paragraph, with a dash of run-on sentences and a sprinkle of section header.

lol :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 November 2008, 00:06:39 »
"completely replaced by a black shaft in my mind"

Jesus, I love these translations. Good find!

Offline Eclairz

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 November 2008, 01:20:25 »
looking at the angle of the red vs black stems, it would seem the red has more force tension than the black since the angle is steeper

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/ncrf020_071.jpg

But maybe they have a lighter spring as the prings are different. I remember trying to adapt a blue cherry spring into a black cherry and it became too heavy. But interesting find non-theless, maybe cherry are looking into dividing the linear line of switches retain reliability (50 mil) while less force as some gamers have complained that the blacks are too heavy.

Especially since gaming keyboards are where more of the mechanical keyboards are sold nowadays.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 07:22:30 »
I found a force graph and more pics:
http://skyian.mine.nu/discuz/viewthread.php?tid=895

It looks like the model number will have Y for red stem. I wonder when they will go into mass production. I want to see how these feel compared to the broken in brown MX I have in my other Compaq since they are super light with no tactile feeling.

Offline wellington1869

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 08:38:05 »
Quote from: Chloe;13409
I found a force graph and more pics:
http://skyian.mine.nu/discuz/viewthread.php?tid=895

It looks like the model number will have Y for red stem. I wonder when they will go into mass production. I want to see how these feel compared to the broken in brown MX I have in my other Compaq since they are super light with no tactile feeling.

do you suppose the force graph is somewhere in between blacks and browns? (he asked full of hope).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 08:40:55 »

Offline wellington1869

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 09:10:25 »
Quote from: Chloe;13415
It looks like a lighter black MX:
http://park16.wakwak.com/~ex4/kb/tech_cherry_mx.htm

if I read the graphs right, it looks to me like a "linear brown" (both with peak resistance around 60). If so, that would be a pretty light touch switch.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 09:15:19 »
Is this a real product that is scheduled to come out? And if it does, will it be available in the US (and why not!?)?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 09:22:33 »
Quote from: wellington1869;13417
if I read the graphs right, it looks to me like a "linear brown" (both with peak resistance around 60). If so, that would be a pretty light touch switch.

I think it's lighter than a brown, because it starts at 30 cN, which is closer to a blue. They all actuate at around 45 cN.

Offline fkeidjn

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 09:32:42 »
Quote from: xsphat;13419
Is this a real product that is scheduled to come out? And if it does, will it be available in the US (and why not!?)?

Because of the stereotype that us Americans like everything ginormous, flashy-like-iPods, and SUV-like repulses them from even making an attempt to sell to the US.

I don't feel like but would anybody like to ask DataCal to see if they might have some for sale?  The model number in the link Eclairz gave might help.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 09:48:46 »
I expect this will only be available in Asia as with the G80-1865. I don't know who commissioned the G80-3494, or whether the red stem MX will be included in the Cherry switch range.

skyian's post covers feel of the switches in various games so I imagine this new switch will be aimed at that market.

Offline namelessguy

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 20:07:07 »
Hi, everyone, I've just found this forum but probably I won't be staying here too long. Just to provide what I know.

The "red stem" keyboard is already out in Japan, but not much information or any real review available, even in Japanese, since it's a brand-new product from an unexpected manufacturer.

A couple Japanese websites about the news here;
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20081115/etc_cherry.html
http://akiba.kakaku.com/pc/0812/02/210000.php

From what I read, they say that it's hard to tell the difference with just a short testing, but in comparison it's lighter and more smooth then the black stem, and the keystroke feels more like Realforce (which I guess is a very positive evaluation).

And, I'm sorry to inform you Chloe, that the photos here http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/ncrf020.htm probably are of ones with the "orange stem" and not the brand-new red stem.

Offline wellington1869

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 20:16:17 »

I've just found this forum but probably I won't be staying here too long.

aw, kick off your shoes, stay a while.

they say that it's hard to tell the difference with just a short testing, but in comparison it's lighter and more smooth then the black stem

that sounds pretty good. So are the red one's linear then? (The blacks are linear, I cant imagine the reds being any smoother than that).  

If the reds are a "lighter" (less resistance) black, then I would *love* to try one, since I really liked the blacks and the *only* thing about them I didnt like was that they eventually tired out my arms. A lighter black sounds like a nice entry into the mix.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 20:20:02 »
Thanks for the info, namelessguy. Do you know if the G80-3600LYC will have NKRO? I think the G80-3494 has. It looks like a price has been set for the G80-3494, 1099 yuan: http://www.pcwaishe.cn/thread-17353-1-1.html

Offline namelessguy

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 20:40:27 »
Well then, if you insist...
that sounds pretty good. So are the red one's linear then? (The blacks are linear, I cant imagine the reds being any smoother than that).  
According to those news websites, the red stem feels "more linear" - smoother keystrokes with lower pressure when the key is pressed down.

(Well now, how do I translate this?
黒軸は「押し下げ圧が徐々に重くなっていく」という打鍵感だったが、赤軸ではこの押し下げ圧の重くなり方が緩やかになっている。)
"On the black stem ones the keystroke feels eventually heavier when pressing keys down, but on the red stem ones the pressure curve is more gentle" ... or something like that.

Do you know if the G80-3600LYC will have NKRO?
You mean N-key rollover?  On the Scythe corp. website (the distributer in Japan) here http://www.scythe.co.jp/input-device/mx-board-r.html,
they say that it's got N-key rollover, up to 6 keys via USB.

EDIT: and I wonder if guys here understand this graph without translation...
http://www.scythe.co.jp/images/cherry/mx-board/grph-red.jpg
EDIT2: Well, at 2mm, around 40g pressure to reach the input point (red line) and reduce the pressure to back to the reset point (blue line), perhaps?

Offline wellington1869

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 20:51:32 »
ooh, that graph shows linear keypress... :D excellent.

also the max pressure is at 60 (IIRC, the black maxes out at 80). So basically the red sounds kinda like a linear brown. For people who like linear switches, that sounds pretty good actually.

("60 what?" you may ask. I dont know. I only know the graph goes to 60, and my amp goes to 11).

Offline alpslover

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 21:05:49 »
Quote from: namelessguy;13811

And, I'm sorry to inform you Chloe, that the photos here http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/ncrf020.htm probably are of ones with the "orange stem" and not the brand-new red stem.

agreed.  also, notice that standard mx keycaps won't even fit on these orange cherrys, because the + on the orange is smaller.

Offline lowpoly

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 03:33:15 »
Quote from: namelessguy;13817
EDIT2: Well, at 2mm, around 40g pressure to reach the input point (red line) and reduce the pressure to back to the reset point (blue line), perhaps?

The lower force curve is usually the release curve. Also, please stay. :)

Quote from: alpslover;13827
agreed.  also, notice that standard mx keycaps won't even fit on these orange cherrys, because the + on the orange is smaller.

Any idea why?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Therac-25

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 09:51:15 »
Asked Cherry's NA website a question re: if we would be seeing these from Cherry in NA anytime soon, and got this back:

Ian,

I did not even know we offered an MX switch with a red keystem. I can
tell you that more than likely it will be a special order here in North
America.

I will check with our product managers in Germany, where the MX switches
are manufactured, to get some information on the switch. They are
currently closed for the holidays but I will let you know as soon as I
hear back from them.

Best regards,

Senior CID Technical Services
Cherry Electrical Products
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline sandy55

Red stem Cherry MX
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 11:17:32 »
Red stem mx is linear type which feels lighter than black as namelessguy explained.
Orange stem in mousefan site is different from usual MX stem. as alpslover pointed, the stem doesn't accept usual MX key caps.  

One of my friend wrote me " brand new red stem mx is described as Brown MX in Linear Action".  It means red mx = black stem +  spring from brown

As for N-key roll over function, you can confirm a diode lying inside MX.