Author Topic: Got blue cherry Filco tenkeyless today  (Read 10071 times)

Offline lodc

Got blue cherry Filco tenkeyless today
« on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:28:32 »
thanks to the advice on this board I have a new keyboard that I really like so far. (Filco FKBN87MC/EB).  Its very well made like all the Filcos seem to be, and looks just like the other black US tenkeyless models I've seen, although leds for caps and scroll are green instead of blue as pictured on some sites.   Personally I like the green, not so bright as blues tend to be.  Bought it using J-Goods, they were very prompt to respond and it got here very quickly, about 5 biz days if you don't count delays due to new years holiday.

I'm not a seasoned keyboard aficionado so don't really know what more to say.  Only KB I can compare to is the model M, and its been over a year since I typed on that.  Filco is clicky (obviously) but not as "serious" and mechanical as the Model M.  Also the keys are *much* lighter than the M and there isn't as much dead space at the top of the stroke before you've typed a letter, if that makes any sense.  Clicking sound occurs exactly at the point the letter is sent to the PC, I was worried it might not.  My fingers used to get a little tired when typing for 10-12 hours on the M, I think this will not be a problem on the Filco.

Its so much better than the keyboard I was typing on before.  I lent out my M long ago and don't think I'm getting it back :(, so I've been using a freebie Dell crapmaster 3000.   Actually looking forward to some coding later tonight.  Just in the hour I've spent with it I am more accurate and seems faster than my old kb.  Actually I am having to adjust because strokes that on my old kb would have been typos (edge of key, multikey hits, off timing, all the "not quite right" stuff) are now turning out to be not typos, and I find myself stopping with finger poised on backspace when actually the correct text is typed.  Apparently the filco is more tolerant of this type of thing, or maybe its all in my head.. I'll need some time on this kb before I am settled in, thats for sure.

All the clicking really makes you feel like you're typing fast at least :)  I can see how it might annoy others in your household/office.  Might have to get a quieter board at some point, just got engaged so I guess that means I'll be living with the GF soon.  

thanks again for the info here, it helped me find something that I think is going to work out very well.  hope everyone is having a great new year.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:40:02 »
Congratulations on the new 'board and your engagement!  I would like to try a Cherry blue 'board at some point.  I should be receiving a brown board in the next several days.  If I like it better than my black Alps 'boards (Dell), I might try to score a Filco.  Otherwise, I think I am going to get the ABS 'board on Newegg with the fake black Alps.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 15:49:10 »
Type loud and proud and hold your ground. It's the most important thing when the woman invades your space. If you give an inch, your house will be pink and flowery and you'll be on the phone to suicide hotline.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:41:35 »
Quote from: xsphat;17890
Type loud and proud and hold your ground. It's the most important thing when the woman invades your space. If you give an inch, your house will be pink and flowery and you'll be on the phone to suicide hotline.

lol, xs is right, its important to set the parameters early. Particularly where your keyboard habit is concerned.

Dell crapmaster 3000

I think I've used that one.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:44:19 »
XsPhat's right.  There is more than one room in your house, apartment, flat, etc.  She doesn't have to be in the same room with you while you type.  If she does want to be in the same room with you, just tell her she needs to deal with it and not to complain.  If she loves you, everything will be fine.  My (now ex) fiancee and I have a similar setup.  I have the theater and the office, and she can do whatever she likes in the rest of the house (which is fine by me since she's the better decorator), but I better not hear sh*t about my typing, theater decor, theater equipment, etc.  (These days it doesn't really matter anymore, though.  It had nothing to do with typing; it was more around kids, religion, and other important things we disagree about.)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:58:33 »
Thankfully, I don't have to worry about noise. My wife has the das III and sits right behind me. She can make quite a racket at times but then again so do I. At work its not an issue either, and even if it was I don't think I  would really give a sh*t. Unless of course, my coworkers decide to gang up on me but thats not likely.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:59:03 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17896
(These days it doesn't really matter anymore, though.  It had nothing to do with typing; it was more around kids, religion, and other important things we disagree about.)

dude, its gotta be tough if you disagree about religion. (i speak from experience ;) )

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 16:59:59 »
Quote from: bigpook;17899
My wife has the das III and sits right behind me. .

thats clever - thats like inviting the neighbors to your all night party so they wont call the cops about the noise, lol ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 17:09:45 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17902
thats clever - thats like inviting the neighbors to your all night party so they wont call the cops about the noise, lol ;)

My partner never really complained about the noise though. I ran with the model m mini for awhile and the unicomp spacesaver, now its the filco with white xm switches. I think the filco is a bit louder over all too. So that and my wife on the das makes for a fair amount of noise but neither one of us mind.

When I am on the phone people will comment about it though, they can tell when I am multi-tasking and not really listening... : )

Offline lodc

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 18:19:22 »
Quote from: bigpook;17904

When I am on the phone people will comment about it though, they can tell when I am multi-tasking and not really listening... : )

yep, already got busted typing on the filco while on the phone with the GF.  Might have to keep the crapmaster around for those long calls.. it's only redeeming quality is it's stealth.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 18:24:32 »
Quote from: lodc;17911
yep, already got busted typing on the filco while on the phone with the GF.

No no, listen: Type loud and proud.

Offline billm

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 18:24:33 »
I'm very interested in this board, where did you buy it?
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 18:29:27 »
I just hooked up my MK96 for you. This is the loudest keyboard I've used and I've used a lot.

It's good you found a use for your Dell craptastic 3000, but still, it's a pity you have to look at it in the meantime.

Offline lodc

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:04:26 »
Quote from: billm;17913
I'm very interested in this board, where did you buy it?

details in this thread: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=1262

Offline lodc

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:08:15 »
Quote from: xsphat;17912
No no, listen: Type loud and proud.

If I wasn't supposedly listening to her talk about whatever it was, I would. but I can see that it's a bit rude to make it so obvious that I'm not paying attention.  Gotta pick your battles.  If it makes her happy to say a bunch of stuff, and if I can be there to hear it without too much effort.. maybe I'm just a fool in love but for now I'm alright with it :)  I suppose once we live in the same house things will change, be much harder to feign interest.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:24:26 »
I don't know, I think it is more rude to let her talk knowing you couldn't care less about she's saying. My wife isn't a phone sorta girl so I lucked out there. She's a texter though, which is better.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:26:38 »
Quote from: lodc;17911
yep, already got busted typing on the filco while on the phone with the GF.  Might have to keep the crapmaster around for those long calls.. it's only redeeming quality is it's stealth.

thats too funny. The "crapmaster". The GF needs to get used to it : )
You have  a Filco mini with blue cherry switches. Thats one nice keyboard, it wants to be used, often.

Offline lodc

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:37:18 »
Quote from: xsphat;17923
I don't know, I think it is more rude to let her talk knowing you couldn't care less about she's saying. My wife isn't a phone sorta girl so I lucked out there. She's a texter though, which is better.

interesting point..  

there are two constants: first is that I'm just not ever going to care much about some of what she wants to talk about.. her friends I don't even know, little meaningless things that happen during the day, etc.   second: I do care about her and want to make her happy when possible.  I honestly want to "do the right thing".

so.. is it better to pretend to be interested or to make it clear that i'm not?  it's not like its a huge deal anyway, but interesting to think about.  I'm sure some guys have it much worse than I do, she's really pretty cool and I don't *always* zone out :)

Offline lodc

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:38:27 »
Quote from: bigpook;17924
thats too funny. The "crapmaster". The GF needs to get used to it : )
You have  a Filco mini with blue cherry switches. Thats one nice keyboard, it wants to be used, often.

I'm actually looking forward to catching up on some maintenance to code that I've been putting off forever.  Typing on the filco for about 4 hours now and it's only getting better.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:39:10 »
Oh I see your point, I'm half giving advice, half razzing you. It's fun, and marriage can be a good thing, but only if you keep your balls.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:39:55 »
I don't have too much experience in this field, but there is option #3...

Be interested.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:41:11 »
My balls are in a glass jar up on the shelf. Once a year my wife takes them down and lets me play with them. 22 years of marriage will do that to you. Its ok though, they are overly sized and just got in the way...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:43:20 »
Quote from: bigpook;17930
they are overly sized and just got in the way...

Especially after 30 when you start to sit on them :eek:

Offline lodc

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:44:37 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;17929
I don't have too much experience in this field, but there is option #3...

Be interested.

violates constant #1, I'm not :)  

If I could be, I would, but (in my experience, and in extremely general terms) women just find different things interesting and worthy of discussion than men do.  They also seem to need to verbalize things, like that validates them or something.  Which is all fine and I'm very happy to help. I just like to get some work done at the same time when possible, because the discussion doesn't have value to me outside of what it does for her.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:52:21 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;17929
Be interested.

Good luck. My wife can't be interested in everything I talk about just like I can't be interested in everything she says. The little stuff is unimportant. You should care about what she's feeling more than every little thing she says. How many ten-minute rants about bobby pins or flat irons or makeup can a man take before he starts craving c*ck?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:55:47 »
Quote from: lodc;17932
violates constant #1, I'm not :)  

If I could be, I would, but (in my experience, and in extremely general terms) women just find different things interesting and worthy of discussion than men do.

This is so true.

They also seem to need to verbalize things, like that validates them or something.

No,   they just like to talk, alot.

Which is all fine and I'm very happy to help. I just like to get some work done at the same time when possible, because the discussion doesn't have value to me outside of what it does for her.

Thats not always true. I would elbaborate, but my wife is trying to start a conversation with me, about something....

Offline bigpook

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 19:56:26 »
Quote from: xsphat;17933
Good luck. My wife can't be interested in everything I talk about just like I can't be interested in everything she says. The little stuff is unimportant. You should care about what she's feeling more than every little thing she says. How many ten-minute rants about bobby pins or flat irons or makeup can a man take before he starts craving c*ck?

I don't know man, I will put up with ALOT before I start craving that...

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 20:24:47 »
Congrats on the 'board.  I have the same keyboard waiting for me at the post office (wasn't home when the tried to deliver today).  I'll make sure and post some pics tomorrow.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 21:54:59 »
Quote from: iMav;17941
(wasn't home when the tried to deliver today)

I can't stand that.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 12 January 2009, 22:43:28 »
Quote from: xsphat;17933

You know, I had a female friend that never went into rants about that.

(Of course, the rants about her fiance, and the fact that she never took my advice on how to deal with the situation (which may or may not have been completely altruistic...) did kinda get frustrating, but I do care about her, and was interested in how she was being treated.)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 06:51:42 »
I did date a girl once who wasn't into all that girl stuff, and she was pretty great.  We are at two different points in our lives, though, so it didn't work out in for the long-haul.  I think at this point, I am just going to bide my time, and find someone I can truly live with (which is difficult, because I like a lot of "me" time).

Offline lal

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 07:37:30 »
Quote from: lodc;17926
I honestly want to "do the right thing".

Then just do it, whatever "the right thing" is for you. That would be my advice. After many years of trying to analyze, understand and take control of the relation between men and women I had to realize that I failed miserably in every aspect. I recommend to just listen to your heart, instincts, genitals or whatever it is that drives you. It's just non-deterministic.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline lal

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 07:38:56 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17982
find someone I can truly live with (which is difficult, because I like a lot of "me" time).

So true... :)
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline alpslover

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:49:12 »
I think at this point, I am just going to bide my time, and find someone I can truly live with

the only person you truly need to live with is yourself.  once you accept this, you will realize that everyone else is just fluff.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:50:04 »
Quote from: alpslover;17996
the only person you truly need to live with is yourself.  once you accept this, you will realize that everyone else is just fluff.

QFT.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 10:29:01 »
Quote from: alpslover;17996

There is some truth to this, but you still may want to have a partner in life.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 10:43:20 »
Quote from: bigpook;18001
There is some truth to this, but you still may want to have a partner in life.

You're right.  I need someone to do the dishes. :)

I kid, I kid.  Actually, I do the dishes for the most part.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 12:41:01 »
alpslover is right though. If you can't be alone, how can you you be with someone else?

And another thing to look at is this: With only 15 male and 17 female human personality types, if you find the perfect girl but not quite perfect (or if she doesn't like you) go to the other end of the bar and you'll find another one just like her.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 12:47:07 »
Quote from: xsphat;18013
alpslover is right though. If you can't be alone, how can you you be with someone else?

And another thing to look at is this: With only 15 male and 17 female human personality types, if you find the perfect girl but not quite perfect (or if she doesn't like you) go to the other end of the bar and you'll find another one just like her.

Just curious, where are you getting the 15 male and the 17 female human personality types?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 12:52:59 »
Just things college kids talk about.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 12:58:11 »
I have always known about and used the Keirsey/Jung temperament sorter(s).  Mine is INTJ.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 13:27:22 »
I can see it now:

itln walks up to a girl in a bar with a laptop in hand. "Excuse me miss, but I couldn't help but notice that I have been staring at you all night. Would care to take this personality test online so I know if you are worth my time?"

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 13:31:28 »
find someone I can truly live with (which is difficult, because I like a lot of "me" time).

i'm like that too

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 14:07:27 »
The thing is, I wouldn't look for anything "long term" from a woman at a bar (short term stuff, definitely ;) ).  I already know they are not my type.  Concerts and other activities, maybe.  I just don't live in the right city for my type of women.  San Antonio is a very trendy, superficial town.  Austin is more my type of city, where a large portion of the population are well-education and more culturally diverse.  Not that you would know it by looking at me (very metro-sexual), but I have a "Hippie" mindset (a lot like many people in Austin).

Offline iMav

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 14:08:14 »
Just unboxed my blue-Cherry equipped Filco mini and am typing on it right now.  Gotta love blue Cherry keyswtiches...they are my favorites for a reason.

This is the first time I've had hands on a blue-Cherry keyboard with a "normal" us layout.  With the SMK-88, the arrow keys encroach on the right shift key, giving me problems.  No mistypes with this 'board.  Sure, it's no HHKB layout (a HHKB with blue Cherries would be a DREAM!)...but it is a great keyboard.  

I just may put the HHKB on the shelf for a while.  :)

BTW, I was very UNimpressed with J-goods are far as repackaging go.  With the brown-Cherry equipped Filco mini I ordered through beNippon, they repacked it real good.  This box was simply thrown in a flimsy envelope.  For that reason alone I will try beNippon first for future orders.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 14:10:44 »
Thanks, iMav, for getting us back on track with Filco blue Cherry talk.  ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 14:11:27 »
Hey thats great iMav. Wasn't sure there was a keyboard out there that would take you away from the HHKB. : )

How about a review of that filco with blue cherries?

Offline iMav

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 14:14:52 »
Quote from: bigpook;18035
Hey thats great iMav. Wasn't sure there was a keyboard out there that would take you away from the HHKB. : )

Well, let's not get carried away just yet.  I'm going to spend some quality time with my favorite keyswitch and see how much I miss my favorite key layout.  

Quote from: bigpook
How about a review of that filco with blue cherries?

Perhaps if I get some time later this week.  I took some pics, but they were rushed.  I'll get some decent pics up on the picture thread soon.  (weird to see a Filco mini with green LED's...otherwise, same great quality as the brown Cherry 'board I had previously)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 14:17:53 »
I hope my Cherry brown 'board comes in today (mx-11800).  This would be my first Cherry MX-based 'board.  If I like it, I might just team Filco with a new 'board.  I wish the Das didn't have the rollover issues.  I would love to get one, but I would always have it in the back of my mind even if my average typing speed would not trigger the issue.

Offline lodc

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 18:52:41 »
Quote from: iMav;18032

BTW, I was very UNimpressed with J-goods are far as repackaging go.  With the brown-Cherry equipped Filco mini I ordered through beNippon, they repacked it real good.  This box was simply thrown in a flimsy envelope.  For that reason alone I will try beNippon first for future orders.

Agree with you on the lazy packing by j-goods, mine showed up in what seemed to be the retail box wrapped in the same flimsy envelope.   Certainly made me worry before I unpacked and checked everything.

I think benippon was only $10-$20 higher.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 19:25:47 »
I have bought from Crescent-Shopping and on both occasions the filcos came in some heavy duty packaging. Well taped and with the filco safe and sound inside.
I received it 2 days after it landed in the states. Both packages arrived with no physical damage. It didn't seem like they were tossed around or abused either.

Offline lodc

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 19:34:31 »
Quote from: bigpook;18104
I have bought from Crescent-Shopping and on both occasions the filcos came in some heavy duty packaging. Well taped and with the filco safe and sound inside.
I received it 2 days after it landed in the states. Both packages arrived with no physical damage. It didn't seem like they were tossed around or abused either.

strangely, cresent shopping claimed they could not acquire the blue cherry filco when I asked for a quote.  I believe another user here got the same response.

BTW, god I love this keyboard

Offline bigpook

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 19:50:22 »
Quote from: lodc;18105
strangely, cresent shopping claimed they could not acquire the blue cherry filco when I asked for a quote.  I believe another user here got the same response.

BTW, god I love this keyboard

I got the filco with brown mx and the filco with white xm through crescent.
I am getting the filco with blue mx from j-goods as crescent didn't get back to me with the quote in time.