Author Topic: Wyse WY60 terminal keyboard, black Cherrys  (Read 4622 times)

Offline lal

Wyse WY60 terminal keyboard, black Cherrys
« on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 09:12:10 »
Just for reference a few pics.  This is from a Wyse WY-160ES, a dumb terminal that connects to a serial port and basically transmits only characters to and from the host machine, e.g. it has no graphics capabilities.  You type commands and the results (text only) are displayed on the screen. Looks like this:

When I got this terminal a few years ago it was my first encounter with a quality keyboard and I was immediately hooked. It's very heavy and sturdy and the keypress felt wonderful (had only used rubber domes before). I examined it closer to see whats inside and discovered the Cherry switches and soon I got a G80-3000 with blue Cherrys for the PC, which was even better of course (besides build quality). Anyway, here a few pics:

I had some weird malfunctioning keys. For example 'c' would sometimes not register the keypress and other times it would produce two 'c' characters with a single press.  I had these problems already in the past and back then, clueless as I was, I dropped some contact oil inside the switch. But it worked.

Now it was doing it again and after removing some keycaps it was clear that it definitely needs a good cleaning (see second pic below, barrgh). I wanted to open the 'c' switch in order to see if there was some dirt inside or something. Since the switches are mounted on a metal plate this turned out to be not easy.  I'm not good at soldering so I tried to remove the upper switch housing and broke it in the process :(

All four clips that hold the lower and upper housing together went broke. But wait, there is hope! I just glued it together (see last two pics) and so far this seems to work. Key doesn't fall out of keyboard and even 'c' is working fine :)

Below is a larger view of the layout. I don't include it inline because of its size.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline lam47

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 09:30:00 »
I love the look of it! A bit like my SGI
how do you like the blacks?
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 09:38:11 »
Thanks for the pics. Around '97 or so I was working in a warehouse and we had four or five Wyse terminals we'd use to check stock and log shipments. I remember the keyboards being particularly nice to type on. The amber monitors were also really easy on the eyes :)

Offline sandy55

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 10:27:01 »
Thanks for your explanation about dumb terminals and pictures. and still I'm wondering "For What is a dumb terminal Worth?"... silly joke. I like CSN&Y.

In case you are ready to launch for magical soldering tour to replace several keys, then let me know.

Attached img is my favorite 840358.

Offline lal

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 16:06:49 »
I'm in love with the rectangular look and the colors of these Wyse boards, too. Just straight lines, no frills. Kind of like Thinkpad laptops. And it really feels and *is* as solid as it looks. My kitchen scale tells me it weighs exactly 1,5 kg (should be 3.3 lbs., no?). My Model M mini weighs 1,6 kg (3.5 lbs.), my *full size* G80-3000 is 1,0 kg (2.2 lbs.).

My opinion about the black Cherrys in this board is as follows: Today I'm a bit irritated by the lack of any tactile feedback when the switch activates, but only when I'm pressing the keys gently to get in touch with it. Then it feels like my fingers are searching for the sweet spot and don't make a find. But when I'm about to get real work done I'm bottoming out all the time anyway, and the bottoming out feeling as well as the sound is *very* pleasing on this board, probably due to its heavy construction. All in all I have to say that linear switches aren't for me any more, I definitely prefer clicky keyboards. On the other hand if I only had the choice between black Cherrys and any rubber dome keyboard, the decision would be easy.

Just did a side by side comparison with my G80-3000 with blue Cherrys and I have to add that the black ones (in my Wyse board at least) require *much* more force to press them down. I'm not sure if this is the case with current Cherry blacks too, since mine are from quite different decades. For me stiff springs are no issue because I push keys quite hard.

Sadly this Wyse terminal does not have an amber screen.  I have another DEC terminal with amber screen, but the keyboard sucks a*s. I think it's a VT420.

Sandy, I know this song but from a different context ("He got game" by Public Enemy) and the singing is really nice.  These days I'm more into electronic music though.

I'm no longer using the dumb terminals. They are a relict from a time when there were no graphical user interfaces and no personal computers. Companies had only a few or even one expensive mainframe computer running a timesharing operating system and tenths to hundreds of people had these cheap dumb terminals on their desk and would all login to the same computer and get their work done. When I learned about Unix and programming (must have been circa 2000) I absolutely fell in love with the design and the principles of the system. Many of Unix' design decisions are a direct result of the "limitations" imposed by the terminals, for example the shells job control mechanisms or that programs are silent by default and only display messages in case of errors (because terminals are slow). And since these terminals could be had for free in Usenet I wanted to know how it felt working on a "real" Unix system. That's how I came to possess these things.

I would be interested in a "magical soldering tour" indeed, but only if you have a link to an existing website or something.  You don't need to write something exclusive up because I'm not going to replace the keys any time soon, since I don't have the needed parts. Additionally, the terminal will be back in storage soon anyway. I had fun with it, but the blurry CRT screen alone is reason enough to not spend any more time with it. Your 840358 is *awesome* though! The colored F*-keys seem somewhat misplaced but very appealing at the same time. I really need to get a PC-compatible Wyse board someday.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline sandy55

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 21:59:04 »
Hmm... I scarcely listen to hip hop or rap music.  I've been living with music form late '60 to mid '80.  I myself might be a relic who loves old keybords and music from the past.      and old PCs like PS/2s...

*Magical soldering tour* i mentioned above is not such a complicated moddifcation like you imagine.  Just desoldering few defective key modules and soldering new *working* modules to keep your board in proper condition whether or not you use it with associated terminal system.  
Real *magical soldering tour* should be conducted by the lord of mod., LOWPOLY....I believe so.    

Anyway  I have to try rewiring 840358 according to the instruction in usenet link. I've been wondering about *PCE* written in bottom label since I got it. If *E* stands for *Enhanced*, then why it doesn't coop with usual PC.
Will give a try again.

Offline lal

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 January 2009, 08:12:43 »
Well, sometimes I like psychedelic rock music from the 60/70s like The Doors or Jefferson Airplane. I'd appreciate recommendations for other bands like that. "Fat Angel" by Jefferson Airplane from the album "Its pointed little head" is my favorite. Gives me the creeps...

PCE definitely stands for "PC Enhanced", see Wyse Knowledge Base. Although I suspect in Wyse terminology "PC" might have originally meant the layout only, to differentiate it from the "non-standard" layouts like mine. But I could be completely wrong on this. Looking forward to the results of your experiments :)