Author Topic: neat-o new ergo board: smartfish pro  (Read 2980 times)

Offline wellington1869

neat-o new ergo board: smartfish pro
« on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 12:36:04 »
"outfitted with motors that subtly shift the keyboard's angle throughout the day -- ostensibly eliminating the cause of repetitive stress injuries. If this weren't enough, the device can track your typing speed and self-adjusts its angle and separation according to your needs"

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/14/smartfish-pro-motion-keyboard-prevents-carpal-tunnel-syndrome-w/

Doesnt look too bad. Sadly tho, no mechanical switches.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 12:58:25 »
That's a pretty sweet looking 'board.  Not that I doubt you, but where did you see that it did not have mechnical switches?  I am just asking, because I went looking for those kind of specs for this thing, and I couldn't find anything.  They do look like scissor-switch keys, though.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 12:59:16 »
Quote from: itlnstln;18185
That's a pretty sweet looking 'board.  Not that I doubt you, but where did you see that it did not have mechnical switches?  .

well, I didnt see it specifically say it didnt, but if it did, they generally point that out or advertise it. So ya, I'm assuming ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 13:05:41 »
I wonder if the 'motorized self adjusting spacing' would freak me out though.

Btw I tried the "cordless logitech wave pro" at a store (J&R) and I have to say it felt really really comfortable - I liked the way the middle of the keyboard gently arcs upwards. You really feel like your index fingers dont have to travel very far. It was different from most ergo layouts I've tried. Better.
This smartfish pro looks like it has a similar gentle arc in the middle.

I dont have RSI badly enough to warrant leaving my buckling springs though, but if I did, I'd definitely have bought a wave by now, lol.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 13:09:52 »
I found that the Wave feels a lot like the black Alps in the Dell but not quite as crisp since it has rubber domes.

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 13:51:09 »
"worlds first patented healthy technology"? i'm sorry, but this sounds like psuedo-scientific bull**** to me.  there are some nice marketing buzzwords like 'innovative' and repeated use of the phrase 'true ergonomics', but i can't discern what is actually so special about this board.  if there was something really special, i think they would be more forthcoming about what exactly it is.  What exactly is their three-letter-acronymend 'innovative proprietery technology'.  i mean, what have they done, patented the shape of it?

...or does it actually have some really epic new keyswitches that are also really good for your hands?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 13:54:21 »
I hope it's some epic new key switches.  Unfortunately, I think it's just hype.  It is pretty, though.  I am sure that it will be pretty expensive.

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 13:58:42 »
okay i just read some comments on engadget, and it sounds as if this thing moves around every once in a while to make sure that your wrists aren't always in the exact same position.  i just can't help be cynical about this thing though. i mean, if i wanted to change my position i could just move myself, or adjust the feet of my keyboard.  are we, as humans, that lazy that we can't do that?  anyway, i think it would be rather strange if my keyboard just started moving around.  i'd end up hitting the wrong keys all the time.  and i'd be forever wondering "is it about to start moving!?", which would be quite the distraction.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 14:22:21 »
It is an interesting idea. Ergonomic keyboards such as the Maltron and Datahand seem to encourage even less movement. I'd like to see some clinical trials. Here is another article about the Smartfish:
http://www.northjersey.com/business/Keyboard_attracts_investor_interest.html

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 15:32:48 »
Both links don't say how exactly the keyboard is adjusted. It looks like the motors can apply some roof angle to the 'board halves, maybe more. Basically a good idea.

Reasons for RSI are individiual and manifold however. I see some problems for this design to be a cure-all kind of thing:

The prototype looks like it has scissor keys with no curvature. I cannot imagine these being more ergonomic than a long-travel keyboard with curvature.

It has a numpad. The latest ISO on keyboard ergonomics clearly suggests compact keyboards to reduce keyboard/mouse travel.

I like to move my keyboards around a lot. This and seating changes will lead to wrist changes as well. A big and possibly heavy keyboard is hard to move around.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 15:52:55 »
In the link Chloe provided, the Smartfish as shown in the photos is just a tech demo (as far as I can tell).  The idea seems to be that the technology developed for the 'board was intended to be sold to other vendors to put in their designs.  It also mentions, too, that that the person who started the company would not mind if the entire company was sold, so whatever.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 16:08:13 »
In the link Chloe provided, the Smartfish as shown in the photos is just a tech demo (as far as I can tell).

It's a prototype designed by a design firm. Which they need for their clinical trials. They have a MSRP of $130 and a name for their board. Licensing the technology seems to be another idea for revenue.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today