Author Topic: Any fountain pen users ?  (Read 3517 times)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Any fountain pen users ?
« on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 22:13:57 »
broke my Pilot metropolitan by dropping it on the floor. owned it for 2 years.
And feeling bad typing for so long, i want to write again. attempting to find the Jinhao fude nib pen online and buy it soon

Are any of you guys into fountain pens or writing ?
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Any fountain pen users ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 23:04:51 »
I used to be far more into fountain pens than I am now.

Twisbi 580, Platinum 3776, and Conklin duragraph were/are in my daily rotation.

So much of what I do now is on the computer, though; it doesn't make much sense to write things on paper anymore. Shame tbh
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline HairyBob

• but my name isn't Robert
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 00:07:51 »
I have a TWSBI Eco for whenever I want to write with something that isn't a Pilot v7

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 13:20:48 »
Using steel Lamy 2000 occasionally. But its broad version so its a little impractical. And since I use it so rarely Its always dried out when I need it. Not the biggest fan of FPs because of that.

Mostly use typewriters tho. Olympia SG1 and Report Deluxe. Splendid 99 for portable.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 13:35:49 »
Off-topic sidebar - do any of you also enjoy glass pens for occasional "special" use?
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 14:58:50 »
Off-topic sidebar - do any of you also enjoy glass pens for occasional "special" use?

An ex bought me one when she traveled to Italy. It rolled off the table before I could ever use it. Too fragile to be worth it IMO (even if you're careful with them)
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 15:17:25 »

It rolled off the table before I could ever use it.

You can't blame the device for that. And yes, don't put a valuable work of art in a vulnerable position.

It is a very old-fashioned thing when you have to dip once a minute or more, but the glass glide is really exquisite.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:00:14 »

It rolled off the table before I could ever use it.

You can't blame the device for that. And yes, don't put a valuable work of art in a vulnerable position.

It is a very old-fashioned thing when you have to dip once a minute or more, but the glass glide is really exquisite.

yeah, nothing to blame there but user error. I just prefer fancy gold nibs over fancy glass nibs because (at least from my experience) I don't have to worry as much.

Granted, any nib + floor = sadness

Offline HairyBob

• but my name isn't Robert
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 20:01:10 »

I had one for doodling and line art. It was very fun and pleasing to use, as long as you had the right paper. Mine also took a tumble off a table and shattered, haven't used one since.

Offline SpinningHook

• "I can't know how to hear anymore about tables!."
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 08:39:19 »
I have a small collection of Franklin Cristophs, Lamys, Pilots, and a few one offs (Parker, Platinum, and Pelikan). I mostly use Diamine Earl Grey and Franklin Christoph Black for ink.
"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 09:22:09 »
It's been hard,  there just isn't much done on pen/paper these days.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 23:16:37 »
It's been hard,  there just isn't much done on pen/paper these days.

That's also why I asked if anyone is into writing as well. It helps to have a use for a pen  :-*.
I've continued my search for a fude hooded nib.
 I hold near the pencil point at high angle with  adaptive tripod grip , (reason for hooded)

And fude = i can write big when i want! ;)
here is a sample of my HB wood pencil and some calc 1 . I write larger than most

276253-0

Edit: it is Wide ruled

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 20:17:04 »
276330-0

On second thought, I should have bought one fude and one fine. I can't believe that I spent 6 hours looking at inks. haha

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 02:35:21 »
6 hours looking at inks is nothing.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 18:21:03 »
In the 90's I'd use a Mont Blanc with Parker blue black ink but I'm not really in a situation where anybody is going to see my writing anymore so I lost interest. I can type way faster so not much need for it really.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 05:46:31 »
Ive given up on ever having neat looking writing I just cant do it. If I ever need to write on paper the typewriter is far more convenient and faster, and everyone can read it. A machine in good working order and when typing correctly they can type faster then any of you can type, electric machines are even faster.

People nowadays scan the document, convert it to a different format, fill in the lines, and print it back out. Is that convenient? I dont carry fountain pens because they are messy and can leak and they dry out when not used. I carry rollerball or ballpoint refill in tactile turn side click short, and that fits into every shirt pocket.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 September 2021, 05:49:32 by Olumin »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 19:32:46 »
It's 2021,  anyone manage to do calligraphy FASTER ?

Keeping everything even is just too slow to be practical.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 10:24:29 »
Going to resurrect this.

I cycle in and out with fountain pens. More recently, I restored an old Schaeffer Balance vac-fill pen, and am quite liking how it writes. It was one of those things that sat on my "to do" project list for years, and while I wish I'd had it to write with sooner, I'm glad I waited. 21 year old me would've definitely screwed up that repair.

Before that, I had a Parker Sonnet, which I liked for its writing characteristics but developed some leaking issues the second its warranty period expired.  I replaced that with a cheap Lamy Safari, which I also liked, but was a little too plasticky to feel exciting and special to write with.

Since I'm left handed, I've pretty much exclusively used Parker Blue-black quink, since it dries almost instantly. I also like the color of it enough to not really have any desire to seek out others. I did go through a phase where I really wanted a dark and vibrant green ink, but have given up on that, since every one I wound up trying gummed up my pens.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000