Author Topic: Organic hardwood plates for 60% Boards  (Read 37928 times)

Offline kwhilden

Organic hardwood plates for 60% Boards
« on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 01:08:51 »
Mod Edit: This post was split off from the original IC thread (please click through for background info - IC text copied in <more> tag below) - OP, when you see this please feel free to update this post as needed and remove my edit notes :thumb:

More

Introduction

Greetings all...  I joined this hobby in 2019, and have been tweaking and customizing my own boards for a while. I've had great feedback from my friends in the hobby, and now I would like to find out if there is interest in the wider community.

A bit about me... i'm a geologist and "dig" the parallel explosion of the mechanical keyboard hobby to the famed Cambrian Explosion 540 million years ago.  All kinds of new animals evolved in a very short time, which is similar to the diversity of keyboard types, switches, and more that have evolved in the past few years. 

So here's my first contribution... a hand-made hardwood plate for 60% keyboards.  Under the auspices of the most famed animal from Cambrian epoch, the Trilobite. 

Organic Hard Wood Plate for 60% Keyboards

I'm also an audiophile and very keen on sound quality. I created this plate to have an excellent and unique sound signature.

The thick hardwood plates have outstanding resonance and tone. There's nothing like it in the market, although if pressed I would call it a cross between carbon fiber and polycarbonate, but with a more organic and less plastic sound.

Plate Specs:
  • 60% tray mount plate
  • 3.0mm thick 3-layer hardwood veneer
  • fixed layout for improved sound + aesthetics
  • laser cut "ledges" for better fitment of switches and stabs
  • Handmade in California, USA
  • Price: $50 ea.

As I'm just starting in manufacturing products for our hobby, your feedback will EXTREMELY appreciated, both in this post and in an interest check form. 

INTEREST CHECK FORM -->> https://forms.gle/R9oFpDJk8rKH1nu28

These plates are manufactured with three layers of hardwood veneer, vacuum bagged with epoxy resin.  They are strong and durable, even for use in hotswap boards. Although some care is needed in comparison to metal or plastic plates. 

I have been testing various types of hardwood veneers. Each has different sound and visual characteristics:
  • Maple hardwood:  most resonant tone, loudest "thock"
  • Cherry hardwood: deepest tone
  • Zebra wood: medium tone, outstanding visual appearance

A key innovation is creating "ledges" for switch fitment, as switches are designed to be clip into 1.5mm plates. Similarly, stabilizers also need some extra space to fit under a 3.0mm plate.  So some very careful tuning of the laser cutter was required.  See below image for clarity. 

Sound Tests and Reviews

I am beyond stoked that Quakemz helped me review earlier iterations of the plates.  Here's a build stream with a near-final version:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jpgaVi-Slkw?start=7680

I have also recorded sound tests with various woods, such as maple, cherry, and zebrawood. Check them out here:
Trilobite Boards Youtube page

Other Woods

I'm currently experimenting with other types of woods, to create a specific look and improved sound.  Many different veneers combinations are possible. But always keeps two layers of maple hardwood underneath for improved sound and strength.

Zebra wood:

Maple wood:

Walnut wood:

Cherry wood:

Additional Photos

Full gallery: https://imgur.com/a/7csJfPN

I developed this plate on a Mekanisk Fjell, and have tested it in many other 60% tray mount boards.

Broken-in lubed creams sound especially good in this plate.

View of the bottom, showing all "ledges" for switches and stabs.

The plate has a fixed tsangan layout, with option for stepped capslock and split backspace. Other layouts can be made if there is sufficient interest.

Conclusion

As this is my first IC, all constructive feedback and questions are welcome!  I have more keyboard projects in the works, if this first project is successful.  Thank you for your consideration.

I have the first production inventory available at https://trilobiteboards.com/.

The plates have been subjected to a grueling stress test by Rudy the Ragamuffin. 

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2022, 09:14:16 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
Re: Organic hardwood plates for 60% Boards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 15:27:30 »
Very very very cool project :cool:

Is it pure illusion to think that there could also be an offer for ISO layouts? :p
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline TheIcyKoala

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 09:14:50 »
Very cool plates, I'm defiantly interested! Do you know how the flex of these compares the the mainstream plate materials and are you considering half plates. Glwic  :thumb:

Offline marici22

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 22:40:24 »
I don't have a keyboard to fit this plate but it looks so cool

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 12:57:54 »
I don't have a keyboard to fit this plate but it looks so cool

Hey there!  The flex is comparable to FR4 plates.  There is flex. 

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 12:59:08 »
Very very very cool project :cool:

Is it pure illusion to think that there could also be an offer for ISO layouts? :p

I would definitely do an ISO layout if I can sell about 20 boards on the ISO layout.  Maybe soon...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 13:15:43 »
Lovely project.  I picked up a couple of plates.  I was excited to see that you made a M0110 plate, and I'm looking forward to other offerings.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 09:14:49 »
Thread split and approval bump :thumb: