geekhack Community > Keyboards

"Weighted" vs. "Unweighted" Topres: Opinions?

(1/2) > >>

megarat:
I'm curious to hear from people who have tried both the keyboards with Topre switches that are "weighted" (switches with differing resistance depending on their layout, ala the Realforce) and the "unweighted" (switches with homogeneous resistance, a la the HHKB).

What do you think of the two?  Do you have a preference?

Also, why is the layout of "light" switches on the Realforce asymmetrical?  (There is one more column of "light" keys on the left side than on the right.)

wellington1869:
The only issue I have so far with weighted keys on the 87u is that when I rest my fingers on the board I still pretty regularly wind up with "aaaaaa" and ";;;;;;;" on the screen.  If 45g across home row reduces the incidence of that, then i'd prefer all 45s.

But in terms of how the 35s feel, they feel fine while typing and I dont really notice the difference while typing.

itlnstln:
I would start transplanting the domes from the F keys and the page nav cluster to make an all-45g 'board.

wellington1869:

--- Quote from: itlnstln;99333 ---I would start transplanting the domes from the F keys and the page nav cluster to make an all-45g 'board.
--- End quote ---

ya, i've resigned myself to doing that, tho i'll do it on the white 87u that i hope to eventually swap to.  But i do think thats the solution. And fairly easy one too actually.

majestouch:
FYI, the white Special Edition 87U with English-only keycaps is being discontinued. I can count on one hand the number that are still available for sale outside of Korea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version