geekhack Marketplace > HWS Archive

FAQ and Answer Page V2

(1/5) > >>

Binge:
New, more relevant, FAQ are available on https://hungerwork.studio/apps/help-center

To better mitigate any questions and keep them all in one spot I am reviving the FAQ thread.  There are a few...

RULES to help make this experience as pleasant as possible.

* Ask all questions here.  My long standing policy is that I want to keep all information as public as possible.  It's all about transparency and trust that I am providing as much information as I can that will help.
* That means don't PM me.
* Do not ask when my next sale is.  I don't know.  As soon as I do I will let everyone know.
* Please use this FAQ page responsibly and keep it related to the work we do at HWS.
* Don't ask any question you feel someone else wouldn't ask or has been told not to ask.
* If you aren't a vendor or runner of a charity/fundraising event please do not ask me to make you a keycap.  I try my hardest to make sure that keycaps are available to everyone, and if you don't think I'm doing a good job make a suggestion of how it could be done better.  Don't make your suggestion here, and do not PM me about it.
* Don't PM me.
* Do not make statements in this thread.  Ask questions.
Any questions?

Question,

--- Quote ---Hi Binge! Huge fan of your work, sir! Just had a question for ya if you have time (no worries if not). I'm curious if you have created any buckling spring caps in the past? I looked through the archive on your site, but didn't see any. If not, do you have any plans to make any in the future? I would do many unspeakable things to have some of your art on my SSK :) thanks in advance for your time!

--- End quote ---

Answer,

As of 3/17/2016, I have not made any buckling spring keys meant for mass production.  I have no details of future plans for you at this time.

Question

--- Quote from: FLFisherman on Thu, 17 March 2016, 12:48:16 ---How do you come up with ideas for your caps? As a follow up: how do you come up with the names for your caps?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

The ideas for each key is a careful process of having a clear idea of what the end result should ideally be like.  I do my best to reproduce the mental image of the finished product in illustration, and then sculpture.  The names have always been attempts at a joke/pun.  The keycap in some way should bring joy to everyone including my Wife and me.

Question,

--- Quote from: Bromono on Thu, 17 March 2016, 13:16:26 ---How about dem beer glasses =3

--- End quote ---

Answer,

How about you let me get back to you on that like I said I would?

Question,

--- Quote from: scubaste on Thu, 17 March 2016, 13:17:38 ---What is your spirit animal?

--- End quote ---

Answer,
If you asked Wifu, in the morning, my breathg is most like a komodo dragon.

Question,

--- Quote from: SpAmRaY on Thu, 17 March 2016, 13:23:40 ---For real though What's the most important thing you've learned in this process since you started?

--- End quote ---

Answer,
Since I started collecting keyboards?  Ergonomic solutions are amazingly easy on the hands.
Since I started casting? I've still yet to find the ergonomic keyboard of casting, but the more I learn the closer I feel to it.  Keep learning?  Yeah Keep learning.

Question,

--- Quote from: romevi on Thu, 17 March 2016, 15:42:29 ---Paper or plastic?

Also, is it possible to make artisan caps out of materials besides plastic and metal?

--- End quote ---

Answer,
Techno-organic nanorobots.

Considering there are other solids than plastic and metal I'm sure it is possible.

Question,

--- Quote ---flfisherman [11:06 AM]
Binge, I recall you saying at some point that this next sale would be on Techkeys, but after that you were hoping your website would be up for future sales. Is that still the case?
--- End quote ---

Answer,

As of 3/18/2016 our plans have not changed.

Question,

--- Quote from: dohbot on Fri, 18 March 2016, 10:47:27 ---Do you prefer Three Fingered Sloth (Bradypus) adults or Two Fingered Sloth (Choloepus) Babies?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

Three Fingered Sloth (Bradypus) adults.

Question,

--- Quote from: ika on Sat, 19 March 2016, 11:08:16 ---Any plans to expand into doing more than just 1u cap casting? Figures, modifiers, phallic objects, etc

--- End quote ---

Answer,

Yes.

Question,

--- Quote from: Joey Quinn on Sat, 19 March 2016, 19:03:05 ---What is Space Bear?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

6.25U sculpted DCS profile spacebar which features the earth and a flying polar bear.

Question,

--- Quote from: Minilogo on Sun, 20 March 2016, 18:49:38 ---What got you into casting caps and what keeps you motivated to keep creating awesome unique designs?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

I started casting because I was salty for failing to get clacks for so long, and rather than do some underhanded **** or pay an amount I didn't feel was right for a keycap.

The unique caps are all a product of my lack of skill at copying, but lately I just want to push some boundaries and get people to think a little.

Question,

--- Quote ---theoriginal123123 [7:46 AM]
hey @binge out of curiosity, when you do doubleshot orks troopers, are there any where you do the second shot in both eyes? instead of just the open one?
--- End quote ---

Answer,

Yes.

Question,

--- Quote from: Diokhan on Mon, 21 March 2016, 07:20:06 ---Hey Binge, I know you are located in the US and therefore the sales happen on US evenings.
Will there be other sale times in future sales that are more friendly for international enthusiasts?

(I will set alarms for your sales tho <3)

--- End quote ---

Answer,

Yes.  Please understand that an internationally friendly time does not exist.  A world wide release is impossible to put into a 'good time'.

Question,

--- Quote from: Bambino on Mon, 21 March 2016, 16:32:16 ---
--- Quote from: Binge on Mon, 21 March 2016, 16:31:05 ---For anyone who missed the colors, http://imgur.com/a/SRqDo

--- End quote ---
Why are there more options for some colors and fewer for others?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

This is easy to explain, and as a maker I hope you understand.  I have colors that never get released because they are ****.  If I am unsure of the color combination I will generally use fewer molds and less material to test.  From there I determine if it is worth it to expand on the colorway or leave it as is and inspect the parts to make sure they are A-stock quality.  In some other cases the keys produced in a specific color are a bi-product of another key being made, and I need to mix a minimum amount of material to be sure the reaction will occur.  For example I rarely want to ship completely crystal clear keys, but it just so happens the Hungrkey uses a resin which is clear for the skin.  I'll use the leftover material and whatever molds are clean and hope for the keys to come out correctly.  I have even more reasons why releases may have limited colors, but I can assure you it isn't to reduce or limit the number of keys produced.  It's simply to reduce waste and make sure that only the keys I want released make it out there.

Question,

--- Quote from: TieuNgu on Mon, 21 March 2016, 16:43:58 ---can you give a hint about supply for this sale (like how many caps for each designs/ colorways) :D

--- End quote ---

Answer,

No

Question,

--- Quote from: FLFisherman on Tue, 22 March 2016, 09:48:56 ---You've said you don't use glitter in your caps, however, there does appear to be some glitter-like material in these caps:

MoreShow Image

What is it?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

I don't want to open this thread up to material composition questions so this is the only question of this type I will answer. There are no extra bits in that key.  It is composed of a translucent GID resin and opaque mixture to create a bone-white look.

Question,

--- Quote from: rotciveel on Tue, 22 March 2016, 10:23:28 ---If we magically are able to get 2 separate orders in on your sale, is it possible to combine shipping costs afterwards?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

I assume this is about the sale for 3/23/2016 with Techkeys.us.  Please contact the any vendors with your questions regarding their shipping policy.  It stands to reason that orders will be combined.  I have done this in the past when running my own distributions.

Question,

--- Quote from: zennasyndroxx on Wed, 23 March 2016, 00:23:01 ---what would be the hardest thing or the most PITA thing to deal with when you're making your caps?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

That can easily be two questions answered, so here goes!

1) The hardest thing to deal with when making caps - Color matching.
2) The Most PITA thing to deal with when making caps - Environmental variables.  The temperature and humidity can change the outcome of a casting session.  Sooooooooooooo annoying.

Question,

--- Quote from: zennasyndroxx on Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:32:55 ---another question:

How would the temp and humidity affect the casting process? Would they affect the casting process even if it's in a vacuum or pressure chamber?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

I'm afraid this is a bit too technical for the aim of this thread.  Although many people would like to know this answer, it's not a common question, and one that I answer when I hold private lessons and speak at keyboard meetups if asked.  Another issue that makes me uncomfortable in sharing what I understand is that casting is very much a process I've learned through experience rather than technical instruction.  Some of my information may be missing important details/observations.  I'd rather not go on internet record with 1/2 truths where it can be hard to explain that it may not be entirely accurate.

Question,

--- Quote from: Vittra on Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:03:15 ---Binge,

Is there anywhere that documents the colourway names for sales held on Techkeys, such as the upcoming "Spring theme" colours, or the previous "Polar Ice"?

https://bingecap.com/ serves as a record of sorts for old colourway names for those sold directly via the site from what I have observed.

--- End quote ---

Answer,

Good question.  I don't have a suitable resolution to that with our current workload until further notice.  This is definitely something I plan to address.

Question,

--- Quote from: rotciveel on Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:22:36 ---Do you pair specific caps with specific art work on the mailing envelopes or is it random or case by case?

--- End quote ---

Answer,

I don't need a reason to draw a picture or print on a package, nor do I want to think about the reasons.

Question,

--- Quote from: GreyAmbience on Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:12:44 ---Hey dude, just wondering, are we getting shipping info of the GID keycaps when they are shipped?
Can't wait to get my first Binge cap <3

--- End quote ---

Answer,

You will receive shipping information, tracking via e-mail, for your items as soon as they are ready for shipment.  You will not receive shipping notice until every piece of your package is complete.  This includes any art that may be on your envelope.  At any time you may opt out of package art or other promotions by making us aware, by e-mail, of the need to expedite the handling process.

Question,

--- Quote from: GreyAmbience on Wed, 30 March 2016, 10:47:26 ---Are we doing requests? Navy Blue please.

--- End quote ---

Answer,

No.  You would know if we were taking requests.  There would be absolutely no reason to ask this question.  To repeat, we are not taking requests.

Question,

--- Quote ---Is the TMX snap fit?
--- End quote ---

Answer,

The TMX stem we are releasing is friction fit.

Question,

--- Quote from: dohbot on Tue, 10 May 2016, 21:34:17 ---How long is it taking you to make a Hungrkey with the synth now-a-days?

--- End quote ---

Answer,
As of 5/11/2016, 48 hours

FLFisherman:
How do you come up with ideas for your caps? As a follow up: how do you come up with the names for your caps?

Bromono:
How about dem beer glasses =3

scubaste:
What is your spirit animal?

SpAmRaY:
PM sent about having a cap made for me. :shiftyeyes: :spam: #sorrynotsorry #somebodyhadtodoit

For real though What's the most important thing you've learned in this process since you started?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version