Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1263308 times)

Offline Findecanor

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 19:40:38 »
RetroBlight is bonkers...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #351 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 01:50:21 »
cherry sucks
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 07:11:44 »
Cherry ML > Topre ;D Or is that just controversial instead of unpopular... let's see from the number of responses.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 07:39:03 »
Cherry ML > Topre ;D Or is that just controversial instead of unpopular... let's see from the number of responses.

:eek:

wat

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 07:39:57 »
People seem to hate ML, the biggest problem being you pretty much have to hit right in the center of the cap to actuate. So yeah, unpopular
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 07:40:59 »
A contradiction is not an argument.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 08:25:01 »
Ooh... I realised I left out an important word. Sorry.

Lubed Cherry ML > Topre...
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #357 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 09:12:07 »
I think what is throwing me off is the topic of the thread itself.  Are these personal opinions that are unpopular?  Are these things we see other users saying on threads on this and other forums?  And what makes it unpopular or popular?  I guess my logic went out the window here.

Fohat, you are right on point.  I'm just confused about this thread in general and how to respond.

You are not expected to respond, just turn your back to the confusion, and be happy.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #358 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:21:47 »

dems is fighting words

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:25:14 »
typing with long fingernails is the best
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline howthegodschill

« Reply #360 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:30:50 »
I agree 100% with you on this. Although, I have this odd anxiety when my fingernails are too long.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #361 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:32:19 »
fingernails can't stick out past the finger.  CANNOT!!!!

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:41:38 »
Apparently this is unpopular on r/mk.  I wouldn't touch a Corsair keyboard with a ten foot pole.
friend was looking to buy a new mech. Knew I was into keyboards. Asked for advice. Gave plenty of advice on a wide variety of brands and switch he could try. Still bought a k70 w/ browns. Why do I even try

Friend asked for advice about getting a mechanical keyboard. I gave him lots of fair and balanced advice about switch types and keyboards. Gets Blackwidow with Razer Greens. Ah well, at least I'll get to try Razer switches.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 12:34:53 »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:08:31 »
1) I like Cherry Browns for a do it all option.

2) I liked scissor switched laptops and hate chiclet laptops (but they don't make scissor switches anymore so they must be unpopular)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #365 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:39:15 »
2) I liked scissor switched laptops and hate chiclet laptops (but they don't make scissor switches anymore so they must be unpopular)
Who doesn't make scissor switches anymore and what does it have to do with popularity?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:42:04 »
Apparently this is unpopular on r/mk.  I wouldn't touch a Corsair keyboard with a ten foot pole.
friend was looking to buy a new mech. Knew I was into keyboards. Asked for advice. Gave plenty of advice on a wide variety of brands and switch he could try. Still bought a k70 w/ browns. Why do I even try

Friend asked for advice about getting a mechanical keyboard. I gave him lots of fair and balanced advice about switch types and keyboards. Gets Blackwidow with Razer Greens. Ah well, at least I'll get to try Razer switches.

a friend asked me for advice also.

lol jk i dont have friends :(

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:48:16 »

a friend asked me for advice also.

lol jk i dont have friends :(
awww is ok

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #368 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 19:57:39 »
Who doesn't make scissor switches anymore and what does it have to do with popularity?

They are no longer popular on laptops, obviously, because they no longer exist on any laptop I can find.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 20:00:27 »
They are no longer popular on laptops, obviously, because they no longer exist on any laptop I can find.
Wait what? Most laptops now use scissor switches. The most obvious trendsetting example is all the Apple laptops of the past 15+ years, but most PC laptops now have also used them for some time.

I liked scissor switched laptops and hate chiclet laptops
I think you must have some idiosyncratic definition of “scissor switches” because all the “chiclet” boards I’ve ever seen use scissor switches.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Scissor_switch
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 January 2015, 20:04:01 by jacobolus »

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #370 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:36:23 »
Wait what? Most laptops now use scissor switches. The most obvious trendsetting example is all the Apple laptops of the past 15+ years, but most PC laptops now have also used them for some time.

I think you must have some idiosyncratic definition of “scissor switches” because all the “chiclet” boards I’ve ever seen use scissor switches.

All of them?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/ZXSpectrum48k.jpg
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #371 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:52:32 »

99% of chiclet keyboards are still ****.  I'd rather type on a ****ty RD keyboard than an Apple aluminum keyboard.

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
« Reply #372 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:07:12 »
key noise is an unnecessary form of tactile response that too many people look for in keyboards

the wire out from keyboards is often put on the wrong side and should be on the left, so it is less likely to interfere with the mouse for users who use the mouse with the right hand

I like the feel of keys on chiclet keyboards (minus actually pressing them in)

I kind of like when the enter or right shift keys on my crappy spare keyboard get stuck when I'm typing slowly

I prefer prying off caps with a sort of lever over pulling them out properly and wish it was more common for caps to be made to come off this way
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #373 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:35:59 »
key noise is an unnecessary form of tactile response that too many people look for in keyboards
tactile (adj): of or connected with the sense of touch

Noise is not tactile. I think the opinion you were looking to express is something like: “Keyswitches should be completely silent.”
I prefer prying off caps with a sort of lever over pulling them out properly and wish it was more common for caps to be made to come off this way
What does it mean to pull them out properly? I pretty much always remove keycaps with a pair of butter knives. Works way better than any fancy keypuller.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #374 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:38:31 »

Noise is not tactile. I think the opinion you were looking to express is something like: “Keyswitches should be completely silent.”
What does it mean to pull them out properly? I pretty much always remove keycaps with a pair of butter knives. Works way better than any fancy keypuller.

Likely what properly means is with a keycap puller.  Pulling straight up with some side to side wiggle if necessary.

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
« Reply #375 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 00:17:05 »

oh thanks, not great at english
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline dodzylla

« Reply #376 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 04:46:06 »
I ****** hate ABS vs PBT , both of them are good....

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #377 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 10:28:55 »
I ****** hate ABS vs PBT , both of them are good....

Would you not concede that there is a definite difference between the feel though?

Offline yiajiipamu

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 11:51:30 »
Granite sets look bad IMO.
Rubber domes can actually be pretty nice, and I feel that people will immediately hate a keyboard for it being a rubber dome without giving it a chance which I find to be ridiculous.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #379 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 12:07:24 »
Rubber domes can actually be pretty nice, and I feel that people will immediately hate a keyboard for it being a rubber dome without giving it a chance which I find to be ridiculous.

Totally agree. I think as a community we should promote the view of appreciating the benefits of having a better quality keyboard instead of the 'mechanical or gtfo' view. I know someone who has a fairly mundane dell rubber dome keyboard. It is actually very nice to type on. What is important is not having an expensive keyboard, but appreciating that not all keyboards are the same and that it is important to not just put up with a board that you do not enjoy using. I often see (particularly on /r/MK) posts to the effect of 'is this mechanical?', to which the reply is invariably 'no' and the reply of the OP to that post is 'damn it. I guess I'll have to keep on looking' or something else to that effect. They are not giving a thought to the merits of that keyboard, only worrying about weather it fits one criteria. It is totally not as black and white as 'rubber = worthless, mechanical = holy'. I'm sure many people find out about these communities and are scared off by the prices of seemingly 'entry level' boards.

TLDR: good rubber needs more love.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 18:10:59 »

Totally agree. I think as a community we should promote the view of appreciating the benefits of having a better quality keyboard instead of the 'mechanical or gtfo' view. I know someone who has a fairly mundane dell rubber dome keyboard. It is actually very nice to type on. What is important is not having an expensive keyboard, but appreciating that not all keyboards are the same and that it is important to not just put up with a board that you do not enjoy using. I often see (particularly on /r/MK) posts to the effect of 'is this mechanical?', to which the reply is invariably 'no' and the reply of the OP to that post is 'damn it. I guess I'll have to keep on looking' or something else to that effect. They are not giving a thought to the merits of that keyboard, only worrying about weather it fits one criteria. It is totally not as black and white as 'rubber = worthless, mechanical = holy'. I'm sure many people find out about these communities and are scared off by the prices of seemingly 'entry level' boards.

TLDR: good rubber needs more love.

QFA. There are some rubber-dome keyboards I've typed on and made me stop and think, "Hey, this is quite nice!" If they came in form-factors that I preferred (such as TKL or 75%), I'd totally get one, but mainstream keyboards are largely full-size, which just doesn't fit my ergonomic requirement.

Just the other day, I was trying the Razer Tartarus at a store, and I actually really liked the tactile feel of its rubber-dome keys. Felt like a stiffer and slightly less refined version of Topre to me, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #381 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 18:34:31 »
First-generation Dell Quietkeys are very nice, so are IBM 8923s.

Compaq made some excellent keyboards in the late-1990s-early-2000s.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:08:34 »
The one thing that drove me crazy was the trackpoint knob.  I always used the mouse and found that thing to be very annoying to me when I typed on a laptop.  Even using it was really annoying.  I remember using it and the pointer would just fly across the desktop for no reason at all.  It drove me nuts! I never got used to it.  Arrrrgh!

Offline howthegodschill

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:55:42 »
The one thing that drove me crazy was the trackpoint knob.  I always used the mouse and found that thing to be very annoying to me when I typed on a laptop.  Even using it was really annoying.  I remember using it and the pointer would just fly across the desktop for no reason at all.  It drove me nuts! I never got used to it.  Arrrrgh!
I recall using my sister's laptop on middle school field trips in order to play Half-Life, and only having the nub to use. Quite an infuriating experience as a youngster.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:58:43 »
I recall using my sister's laptop on middle school field trips in order to play Half-Life, and only having the nub to use. Quite an infuriating experience as a youngster.

Great practice for when you're an adult though.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #385 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 03:22:40 »
Going to breathe some life back into this thread...

buying used keycaps? No thanks....

Offline MessyCaps

• Stressed out cap maker taking a break :S
« Reply #386 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 07:01:38 »

I would agree thats not a popular opinion.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #387 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 07:47:35 »

I would agree thats not a popular opinion.

Yeah... I see a lot of used keycaps / keysets selling. I can understand it for novelty caps (clacks et. al.) but for keysets I just don't get the appeal in spending so much on keycaps that have already been worn, used, and smothered in someone else's finger grease. There are always tons of keysets on sale, after all. Then again, I also hold the opinion that most PMK sets are also less attractive than a nice set of Vortex PBTs at a third of the price.

Offline dante

« Reply #388 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:41:18 »
QFA. There are some rubber-dome keyboards I've typed on and made me stop and think, "Hey, this is quite nice!" If they came in form-factors that I preferred (such as TKL or 75%), I'd totally get one, but mainstream keyboards are largely full-size, which just doesn't fit my ergonomic requirement.

Just the other day, I was trying the Razer Tartarus at a store, and I actually really liked the tactile feel of its rubber-dome keys. Felt like a stiffer and slightly less refined version of Topre to me, and that's not a bad thing at all.

I own one of these.  And for a rubberdome it's quite nice.  Short throw, relatively quiet - perfect for the Office and only $20!  It is also spec for 20M presses.

After a year of ownership I compared the most commonly used keys to the unused function keys and they are still equally tactile.

Compared that to "oh noes - my month old $125+ mechanical has chattering switches..."  :p

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #389 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 13:35:03 »
Yeah the used keycap thing is like... Nope. Especially if it's ABS.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #390 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 14:26:30 »
I just don't get the appeal in spending so much on keycaps that have already been worn, used, and smothered in someone else's finger grease.
A half hour in detergent removes pretty much all finger grease.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #391 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 08:29:37 »
I can see pbt sets selling (ibm. Unicomp). Outside of that the price  or condition would need to be right.

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #392 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 14:39:11 »
After receiving my "Bigfoot" Terminal XT Model F, I think I have a very unpopular opinion to share.

I kinda like the XT layout.

Never thought I'd ever be saying that. It might even become my secondary daily driver along with the 4704.
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 14:47:14 »
After receiving my "Bigfoot" Terminal XT Model F, I think I have a very unpopular opinion to share.

Never thought I'd ever be saying that. It might even become my secondary daily driver along with the 4704.

Hmm. Now I want to try it, even though it looks pretty bad.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #394 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 16:19:47 »

Trust me, there's a reason it's an unpopular opinion :p

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #395 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 16:27:20 »

Stop tempting me.  I keep wanting one more and more, despite having just finished my 4704.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #396 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 16:36:37 »
Stop tempting me.  I keep wanting one more and more, despite having just finished my 4704.
If you have a 4704 board, there’s very little reason to want an XT (unless it’s to harvest parts for some custom layout or an XTant or something).

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 17:43:39 »

Trust me, there's a reason it's an unpopular opinion :p

I can't argue with that. :P It's certainly not for everyone. Still not entirely sure how in the world it turned out that I don't mind the XT layout. lol

The seller I bought my Bigfoot from has more available, but I doubt they'll last long. At the price he's selling them at, and given that they're NIB and will only need an xwhatsit to be in perfect running order, I'd say you should go for it.  :thumb:

The XT is a different experience from the 4704. Enough to make me want both on my desk, however I do not yet have a desk large enough to accommodate both. lol The thing that really makes me like it is the wrist rest. It makes it a bit more comfortable to type on than the 4704, which doesn't even have raisers. It also has some of the nicest caps IBM has ever put on a keyboard. People like to source XT alphanumerics to put on other BS boards for a good reason. Regardless, I love both of them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 17:50:18 by Xonar »
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #398 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 17:46:03 »
will only need an xwhatsit to be in perfect running order
Aren't those incompatible with his converter? I just remember thinking I would do the same and he said that it wouldn't work

Offline blazarcher

« Reply #399 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:27:00 »
1. I hate full sized keyboards! (Even though I have a Filco 100% xD)

2. I love Cherry MX Browns (:P) especially for gaming!

3. I hate Model M's, actually I hate all old keyboards!

4. I hate LED's on keyboards unless they are white or very subtle.

5. I hate corsairs, razors, thermaltake, and any other company that overdoes branding.

6. I hate dolch keycaps (Nahhhh, I'm kidding, I love them!)

7. I LOVE purple FMJ Poker cases!

Forgot to mention:

8. I hate Topres! (feel like rubber domes to me)
Filco Majestouch Ninja - Poker I