Author Topic: Topre lovers, brace yourselves...  (Read 92516 times)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Topre lovers, brace yourselves...
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:51:51 »
I prefer the feel of the 660 to my 45g Realforce.

Offline Macsmasher

Re: Re: Topre lovers, brace yourselves...
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:57:44 »
You're not exactly clear here.  How does it compare to the RF?

A bit louder and a snappier feel.  Seems to be a blend in between RF and HHKB.

I would give it a good two or three weeks of daily use before drawing any comparison conclusions. I've got a five month old 87U variable silent, a one month old HHKB Pro 2 and my 1.5 week old 55g 87U. They've all 'mellowed' over time. When I first got the 55g, I thought I had made a big mistake. It was WAY too stiff. But it's loosened up and settling into the perfect weight. Even the sound changes over time.

I'd say the 55g has changed the most out of the three boards. After three days on the 55g 87U, I was ready to sell it on the GH classifieds. But I stuck it out, and I'm so glad I did. These guys that preach the 55g gospel are right on the money.

Topre are industrial switches built for longevity. They need to break in just like a pair of good quality leather boots.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #252 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:04:09 »
will you be bringing yours to the meetup? i'd love to try it out.

and if hashbaz lets me try a topre board i invariably end up buying one about a week later... this bodes poorly for my savings account :(

Topre are industrial switches built for longevity. They need to break in just like a pair of good quality leather boots.

:)) there's nothing wrong or anything with that statement... i just think it's funny to compare a keyboard to boots
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #253 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:16:45 »
These guys that preach the 55g gospel are right on the money.

Amen, brother.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #254 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:19:04 »
If this is as good as people are saying, I may get one and sell my 55g RF

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #255 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:19:09 »

:)) there's nothing wrong or anything with that statement... i just think it's funny to compare a keyboard to boots

Tread carefully, this boot comment could lead to stupid shoe/keyboard pictures like reddit.......

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #256 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:20:10 »
If this is as good as people are saying, I may get one and sell my 55g RF

If you like 55g, you probably will not want to move back to 45g. Just sayin'....

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 20:03:22 »
will you be bringing yours to the meetup? i'd love to try it out.

and if hashbaz lets me try a topre board i invariably end up buying one about a week later... this bodes poorly for my savings account :(

lol. Well, I like to use analogies to which most ppl can relate when trying to convey a point regarding something with which they have no experience. Just call me Mr. Helpful.   ^-^

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 20:53:56 »
Teribad keycaps, and EK price would prob be ~$200+

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #259 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:14:43 »
These guys that preach the 55g gospel are right on the money.

Amen, brother.
I too took Bro Caps and others advice on the 55g Realforce. I knew right away I made a right decision for me. Seems like the new F660c is between a 45g and 55g Realforce in feel.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:58:32 »
i feel like all topre switches are extremely light..are there any heavy topres?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #261 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 22:04:41 »

55g is the heaviest topre switch.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 22:35:11 »

55g is the heaviest topre switch.

I guess i will have to wait until the nyc meetup to try topres..hopefully someone will bring a topre board

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #263 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 23:12:59 »
I guess i will have to wait until the nyc meetup to try topres..hopefully someone will bring a topre board

boost is around that area I think, he might bring one if he decides to show up.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 02:01:08 »
I thought you liked the HHKB with 45g (maybe I'm thinking of someone else). Wouldn't this be similar to that?

Type-S, yeah. But this board is plate mounted like RF's. And to me, plate mounted 45g feels mushy.

That's interesting. I've got a 1.5 month old HHKB Pro2, and I do love it. But I'd take a plate mounted RF any day over it. The RF feels and sounds more solid to me. I'd even take the RF variable over the HHKB if I had to choose only one board. I would say that the RF variable would be considered more 'mushy', if by mushy you mean less tactility. But even so, it still feels better. I must have girly fingers.

With that said, I'd take the HHKB over any Cherry board.

Caps, I can't remember if you have a 55g RF. But if mushy isn't your thing, you owe it to yourself try one. And don't be surprised if you hear angels singing from heaven while typing on one. Happens every day for me.

Offline blakespot

• My (modest) keyboard gallery
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 07:35:02 »
I hear there is a group buy being setup to bring some of these into the states. If that is accurate, can someone point me in the right direction?

bp
:: Leopold FC660C (x2), FC660M (browns), Realforce 87U, Das Keyboard (blues), Matias Tactile Pro (v1), HHKBL2, Matias Quiet Pro, Unicomp Classic 101, Focus FK-2001, Corsair Vengeance K65 (reds), Steelseries Apex 7 TKL ("browns")
:: Modest photo gallery of my keyboards

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Topre lovers, brace yourselves...
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 07:46:06 »

Offline geminimech

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 07:46:41 »
It's in the interest check sub.  It's not a group buy just yet, boost was fielding levels of interest and checking on prices.
Topre Realforce 87U Variable | Choc Mini MX Brown | Cherry G84-4100 ML

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:49:27 »
Makes for a great coffee shop keyboard! I've never really had a ~60% keyboard before except a RACE (which I got rid of quick).  I see the appeal. :)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #269 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:51:14 »
I hear there is a group buy being setup to bring some of these into the states. If that is accurate, can someone point me in the right direction?

bp

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42728.0

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #270 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 12:06:33 »
Makes for a great coffee shop keyboard! I've never really had a ~60% keyboard before except a RACE (which I got rid of quick).  I see the appeal. :)

(Attachment Link)

Slick

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 12:38:20 »

That giant glass of coffee flavored sugar looks UBER dangerous next to those electronics.  :p

I set my HHKB on top my rMBP 15" keyboard, perfect fit.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 12:50:49 »

This one fits perfectly over the 15" (and other I guess, since the keyboard is the same size for 13-17").  The feet go just outside of the keyboard.  I leave it on top if my table isn't too high.  Else, I usually have the keyboard in my lap or something. :)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #273 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:01:40 »

(Attachment Link)

Lol...my desk here at works looks exactly like that except my MBP is running Linux.  :p
Russ

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:40:52 »

This one fits perfectly over the 15" (and other I guess, since the keyboard is the same size for 13-17").  The feet go just outside of the keyboard.  I leave it on top if my table isn't too high.  Else, I usually have the keyboard in my lap or something. :)
To me the HHKB is the best 60% for laptop use, its small form factor and light weight is easy to pack in a typical 15" laptop bag or backpack. Its weight is hardly noticeable to me in my bag. Others with plate mount switches would weigh me down for on the go use it all adds up IMHO.   

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 21:23:17 »

(Attachment Link)

Macbook AND Topre in coffee shop? Hipster alert!

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 21:29:30 »
With a flood of topre boards hitting the market does this mean we can expect some topre GB's in the near future?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 21:36:36 »

Haha, I don't think anyone would mistake this ole country boy for a hipster. :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #278 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 22:18:46 »

Haha, I don't think anyone would mistake this ole country boy for a hipster. :)
or anybody bringing an external keyboard for a laptop, for that matter :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 22:20:19 »
Just picked mine up from boost (hella nice guy, btw). And I have to admit, I love it (typing on it right now). Definitely feels better to me than the HHKB did, and there's something magical about the sound. The "thock" is a bit higher pitched than on the RF boards. It's definitely lighter than the 55g, that's for sure, but it's still a pleasure to type on. Plus... arrow keys!!!!! This board is phenomenal. I might swoon...

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #280 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 22:42:09 »
Just picked mine up from boost (hella nice guy, btw). And I have to admit, I love it (typing on it right now). Definitely feels better to me than the HHKB did, and there's something magical about the sound. The "thock" is a bit higher pitched than on the RF boards. It's definitely lighter than the 55g, that's for sure, but it's still a pleasure to type on. Plus... arrow keys!!!!! This board is phenomenal. I might swoon...

I think you're opinion of the RF is well documented.  So, knowing that, if you had to pick only one.  Which would it be?  RF or the Leo?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2013, 22:49:45 by KuhnTang »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #281 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 22:45:41 »

:D

Glad you like it and I'm trying to learn the hhkb layout now. Well say that the 660c has a much more crisp feel to it compared to the hhkb...hhkb bs seems weird but feels like it belongs in that position.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #282 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 23:31:05 »
Don't fight it boost, you know you love it

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 23:47:35 »

I think you're opinion of the RF is well documented.  So, knowing that, if you had to pick only one.  Which would it be?  RF or the Leo?

Oh man... I don't know. That is a tough call. It really depends. I think if I had only one choice, I'd still opt for the 55g RF, by a hair.

:D

Glad you like it and I'm trying to learn the hhkb layout now. Well say that the 660c has a much more crisp feel to it compared to the hhkb...hhkb bs seems weird but feels like it belongs in that position.

Yeah man, this thing's great. I'm still hitting alt+\ whenever I want to delete a word, because my hands still want to think that delete is right there above the enter key. Gonna take a bit to un-train the HHKB layout.

As much as I like the feel of the HHKB's lack of a plate, I have to admit that it makes the board much more solid. I tend to pound on the keys and the HHKB would wobble ever so slightly. This board has none of that. For the way I type, personally, the FC660C is absolutely the board for me.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 00:17:24 »
On a side note (since I don't read Korean), is there English translated version of the manual anywhere? Or at the very least can somebody explain the following:

1. What does FN+Q do? I know it turns the LED under the insert key on, but what does it actually do?
2. Dip Switch 4 : No clue on this one.

Thanks!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #285 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 02:14:41 »
1) It's back-tick-lock (or anti-Esc lock).  The way they did Esc is pretty awesome for a UNIX user.  It's Esc by default, but Shift+Esc gives you tilde no matter what.  Fn+Esc gives you back-tick.  Setting anti-Esc lock inverts everything so that Fn+Esc is now Esc but Shift+Esc and Shift+Fn+Esc are all still tilde.  I will definitely be setting up my GH60 this way.

2) Don't know either.
Russ

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 06:25:58 »

2. Dip Switch 4 : No clue on this one.

According to Acetrak's review it looks like switch 4 enables/disables Winkey ;)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42825.0
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 07:01:12 »
1) It's back-tick-lock (or anti-Esc lock).  The way they did Esc is pretty awesome for a UNIX user.  It's Esc by default, but Shift+Esc gives you tilde no matter what.  Fn+Esc gives you back-tick.  Setting anti-Esc lock inverts everything so that Fn+Esc is now Esc but Shift+Esc and Shift+Fn+Esc are all still tilde.  I will definitely be setting up my GH60 this way.

2) Don't know either.

That's really awesome to know.  I tend to use tilde regularly to change case in Vi but I essentially never use back tick.  ESC default while preserving stock tilde functionality is genius!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 07:48:44 »
Omg these reviews are creating some serious keyboard envy.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 08:45:33 »
Ok that explains things, thanks.

Yeah, the only time I use backtick honestly is when writing code in Markdown. I tend to use $() instead of `` in bash anyways, so the way they handled the ~/` situation is fantastic. Wish the HHKB had done that.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 08:45:56 »
`

2) Don't know either.

Yeah, I realized that I use Cmd-` a lot on the Mac (switches between windows/instances of the same application)... this is a great feature.

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #291 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 10:15:30 »

That's it. I'm buying one as soon as I have the money / PC Case Gear launches it in Australia.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 17:15:09 »
PCCG sometimes seems a bit hit and miss with what they stock - only some Ducky keyboards for example.  RealForce 87U only in white but 104U in black and white.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 19:15:55 »
PCCG sometimes seems a bit hit and miss with what they stock - only some Ducky keyboards for example.  RealForce 87U only in white but 104U in black and white.

Well on their Facebook page, they did say they were looking into the FC660C - so there could be a possibility for local availability.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline calavera

« Reply #294 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 21:30:42 »
I've had it for a few days now and I love it but two cons for me personally:

1. Need to use both hands to use function row F1 and F2. I can only reach as far as F3. Small hands FTL. :(
2. Print on key caps are somewhat inconsistent or they're already show signs of wear. A, S, D in particular. (gonna replace them with topre RF dye subs though)

I'm still debating if I should sell mine, because typing on them is fking awesome.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 21:33:49 »
I've had it for a few days now and I love it but two cons for me personally:

1. Need to use both hands to use function row F1 and F2. I can only reach as far as F3. Small hands FTL. :(
2. Print on key caps are somewhat inconsistent or they're already show signs of wear. A, S, D in particular. (gonna replace them with topre RF dye subs though)

I'm still debating if I should sell mine, because typing on them is fking awesome.

Hey cal, would you say the print looks the same as my JIS topre caps I showed you?

Offline calavera

« Reply #296 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 21:38:34 »
Can you link the pics? I usually delete old PM's.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #297 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 21:49:59 »
Can you link the pics? I usually delete old PM's.

Ah pics were in my previous sale thread. Just wondering if the legends were gold-ish colour.

Offline calavera

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 22:27:24 »
Hard to describe color.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 22:41:01 »
Hard to describe color.

Show Image

Hmmm the legends look lighter.
Would you say they feel smooth, or kind of scratchy like general pad print?