Author Topic: Lefty Mouse?  (Read 55372 times)

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
Lefty Mouse?
« on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 06:03:28 »
I still dream of my old Logitech MX610, the only 'normal' left-handed mouse I could ever find. Alas, I left the battery in it for a couple years, and the acid destroyed its pcb. Holy moly, why can't somebody make something like this again? Do I really have to create a 3d printed redesign? These ambidextrous mice suck, and I'm getting so, so sick of the rolled eyes from the righty-tighties. Does anybody know of a left-handed mouse that isn't some weird, old, expensive vertical thing?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2020, 03:06:03 by DrivenKeys »
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, EP84/KC84 (Box Navies with gpl107) Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One (MX Whites), Das X50q

Offline yui

Re: Lefty Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 07:25:56 »
i have found that the Logitech M500 is quite ambidextrous if you put your hand in a way that does not press the thumb buttons, but logitech stopped making left or even ambidextrous mouse a while back so it is the only one i have found with their free running wheel that can be used left handed, if you are not all about that free mouse wheel then there is the razer deathadder that exist left handed, there may be plenty more options out there but those are the 2 i know of
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 20:19:48 »
The Logitech G900/903 are completely ambidextrous, the side buttons are swappable and there's at least one or two good Asus as well that are ambidextrous or close enough.

G900 sells for $70 new on Amazon, not cheap but not bad, the 903 was more or less a revision of the 900 so it's not old.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Bruek

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 21:03:38 »
logitech g300s is a good ambidextrous mouse, although it is a little bit small. I know razer used to make a lefty deathadder, not sure if they still make it.
cronch

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 21:20:45 »
I have been using an EVGA TORQ X10 since they first came out. I'm not a lefty, but the mouse is perfectly symmetrical, like a lot of old Logitechs were. I just did some quick research, and the software does allow for switching between left and right-handed modes as well. These were never particularly expensive mice, and they seem to be less than $50 just about everywhere to this day.

I have a random old Dell laser mouse in front of me right now too that I found at a Goodwill for 99 cents recently as well. This is also perfectly symmetrical. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to reverse the mouse buttons with software on any symmetrical mouse, many of which you literally will find in stacks at Goodwills for $1-3 each.

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 02:32:00 »
Thanks for the replies, y'all. That Deathadder has gone the same way as that old Logitech: collectible pricing on ebay. Thanks for the suggestions, but the symmetrical just sucks for me, and the vertical 'ergonomic' mice are cumbersome. I'm just looking for that same shape 80% of right-focused mice have, for that more natural hand position. That MX610 or Deathadder is fine. I'll likely crack open a symmetrical mouse and design 3D printed parts to tilt it, or build it 100% from scratch.

I never needed the lefty button layout, I actually like primary click with my middle finger. It's just the shape that drives me nuts, my wrist wants to twist a little.

Could anybody recommend a good donor mouse? I know some are easier to pull apart than others. I can solder, etc, so relocating switches isn't out of the picture. Ideally, just tilting the top and relocating the sensor would be great, but I gather they often integrate the sensor into the pcb. That EVGA Torq looks promising, as the adjustable height top buttons are already seperate from the main sensor. Any thoughts before I start opening random mice?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2020, 04:19:55 by DrivenKeys »
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, EP84/KC84 (Box Navies with gpl107) Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One (MX Whites), Das X50q

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 21:33:25 »
Could anybody recommend a good donor mouse? I know some are easier to pull apart than others. I can solder, etc, so relocating switches isn't out of the picture. Ideally, just tilting the top and relocating the sensor would be great, but I gather they often integrate the sensor into the pcb. That EVGA Torq looks promising, as the adjustable height top buttons are already seperate from the main sensor. Any thoughts before I start opening random mice?

Sounds like the Torq is similar to the G900/903.
While not adjustable, they have has separate pcbs connected by wires for the switch buttons.

One mouse I would HIGHLY avoid is the G700, not that you would probably want to use it but it has two hard mounted doublestacked pcbs that the switches mount to. I couldn't get them separated without destroying it and you have to do that to reach the switches or you risk other damage. It was not designed to be easy to work in.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 03:01:10 »

Sounds like the Torq is similar to the G900/903.
While not adjustable, they have has separate pcbs connected by wires for the switch buttons.

One mouse I would HIGHLY avoid is the G700, not that you would probably want to use it but it has two hard mounted doublestacked pcbs that the switches mount to. I couldn't get them separated without destroying it and you have to do that to reach the switches or you risk other damage. It was not designed to be easy to work in.

Thanks! Both the G900 and Torq look promising. This teardown vid shows the Torq could be a good donor, lots of seperate pcb's with ribbon cable:

Good to know about the G900 wired switches, but when I look at this teardown video:
it looks like having the scroll wheel on the same pcb as the sensor might prevent an easy mod.

For 10 bux, I'll try one of these first: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264599335386
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2020, 04:53:21 by DrivenKeys »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 05:33:22 »
True the wheel is mounted to the sensor board, but the sensor is well positioned (centered) well so I'm not sure you would really need to move it.

There was also those MadCatz  R.A.T. series (look at the 7 and 9)  that were totally adjustable, from a quick glance it looks like the buttons and sensor are one part and everything else just bolts to that (including side switches). Not as adjustable for your wants, but probably an easier mod.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 01:35:27 »
The wheel would need to tilt with the buttons, so the board holding the wheel would have to tilt, so the sensor would no longer be parallel to the desk. There's no way around it, I need buttons and wheel to be independent of the sensor board.

Those Madcatz look interesting. I also looked at teardowns of the Razer deathadder, which looked very easy: the buttons and wheel are a whole unit completely independent of the sensor board, connected only by a ribbon cable. Even with a righty deathadder, the mod would be easy.

For now, I ordered a lefty Goldtouch from ebay, plus that 10 dollar Anker knockoff I listed. Somehow, I'll cobble something good...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 08:58:21 »

from ebay, plus that 10 dollar Anker knockoff I listed.

Thank you!

I have used an Anker (right hand, of course) for many years and love it. Truly "vertical" mice are atrocious since pushing a button to click must be resisted by the thumb on the other side or else the mouse will move laterally (making Evoluent the most horrible mouse on the planet), but a 45 degree mouse is ideal. My first foray with that was the Wow Joy Pen which is pretty good but mine died after a couple of years. At that point Spam Ray was touting the Anker and so I bought one and it was considerably better.

My desk is large so I keep mice on both sides for convenience, but the left one has been the original Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical (a remarkable and classic piece of engineering) since it is symmetrical and ambidextrous.

I did not realize that a left-hand Anker variant was in production, I wish there was a wired version but that is not a terrible problem.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 14:34:26 »

from ebay, plus that 10 dollar Anker knockoff I listed.

Thank you!

I have used an Anker (right hand, of course) for many years and love it. Truly "vertical" mice are atrocious since pushing a button to click must be resisted by the thumb on the other side or else the mouse will move laterally (making Evoluent the most horrible mouse on the planet), but a 45 degree mouse is ideal. My first foray with that was the Wow Joy Pen which is pretty good but mine died after a couple of years. At that point Spam Ray was touting the Anker and so I bought one and it was considerably better.

My desk is large so I keep mice on both sides for convenience, but the left one has been the original Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical (a remarkable and classic piece of engineering) since it is symmetrical and ambidextrous.

I did not realize that a left-hand Anker variant was in production, I wish there was a wired version but that is not a terrible problem.

I guess that with my yeti hands, I'm just accustomed to my mice always feeling out of place in my hand, so I don't really care whether it is ambidextrous or right-handed. I did honestly get the Torq because it is adjustable, kind of hoping I could max it out and it wouldn't feel like a small toy, but it still does.

Offline qa10

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 07:48:18 »

Offline Kyle_Kun

• u/DraynedOG on reddit
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 15:55:41 »
if you're looking for something to play games with, the original gpro wireless is ambidextrous and has removable buttons on either side.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 21:05:12 »
I haven't tried it yet, but the 3dConexion Cad Mouse might be a decent left handed input device, a bit pricy though:
https://3dconnexion.com/us/cadmouse/
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 09:56:50 »
I still dream of my old Logitech MX610, the only 'normal' left-handed mouse I could ever find. Alas, I left the battery in it for a couple years, and the acid destroyed its pcb. Holy moly, why can't somebody make something like this again? Do I really have to create a 3d printed redesign? These ambidextrous mice suck, and I'm getting so, so sick of the rolled eyes from the righty-tighties. Does anybody know of a left-handed mouse that isn't some weird, old, expensive vertical thing?

Razer naga trinity left hand edition

Offline YayItsKate

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 10:46:34 »

Yeah stick to your guns and find a good one. I learned with my left hand as a kid and it was great until we got a desk setup that didn't allow space for it and I had to swap to right. I never got the dexterity back :(

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 12:31:13 »
you might be able to find a lefty deathadder and my friend has a lefty ergo mouse that you can get off amazon for pretty cheap

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 19:43:44 »
I can vouch for 23 months with a Steelseries Sensei 310.  12-16 hours per day.  Haven't worn through the slides/skates.  I tried to game with it a few times--nothing wrong with the mouse as far as I know, I'm just more accurate with a trackball (Elecom Huge).  When I did game with it there were no tilt slam malfunctions (PMW 3360).  And if Linux then there's an open source project for configuring the lighting: https://github.com/flozz/rivalcfg