Author Topic: Configurations for different languages for Drop ALT  (Read 69470 times)

Offline mac.n.keys

Configurations for different languages for Drop ALT
« on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 09:58:29 »
Hi guys,

I'm planning to get a Drop ALT (67 keys) during the current pre-order phase.
I played around with the keyboard configurator that's linked on the website to check if I manage to set up everything they way I want.

Question:
How can I configure special letters from a different language (specifically ä, ö, ü - German).
I won't need it that much because I mainly write in English but it would be nice to have.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Configurations for different languages for Drop ALT
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 10:04:20 »
How do you do it with your current keyboard?

If you have it set as German and just write English you would want to set your new board up with the stock layout (mainly US key labels, UK for the ISO keys) then your operating system will deal with converting keycodes to letters.

If you want the board set to English in your operating system you would need to make macros using the alt+numberpad keycodes to get the special characters.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mac.n.keys

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 10:47:47 »
How do you do it with your current keyboard?

If you have it set as German and just write English you would want to set your new board up with the stock layout (mainly US key labels, UK for the ISO keys) then your operating system will deal with converting keycodes to letters.

If you want the board set to English in your operating system you would need to make macros using the alt+numberpad keycodes to get the special characters.

I don't have a mechanical keyboard so far. I'm working on a MacBook Pro with German keyboard layout.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 11:19:49 »
Clearly keyboards don't know what's written on the top of the keycaps - the important bit is what input language you have selected in your operating system :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mac.n.keys

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 00:28:24 »
Clearly keyboards don't know what's written on the top of the keycaps - the important bit is what input language you have selected in your operating system :)

Of course.  ;) So, basically I don't need that configurator on Drop at all.
Only for the RGB lighting and in case I want to add any special commands on some keys?