Author Topic: [IC] GMK Olivia++  (Read 145640 times)

Offline KingOfMemes

Re: [IC] GMK Olivia++
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 09:01:46 »
You are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Risk can and should be split - so that vendors each would have to bear just a few kits. But considering firstly how huge this run is and secondly how Oblivion v2 turned out, its weird to talk about "courage", "risk" and "buy ups" in this matter. And the NorDeUK kit should have the usual light alphas of course, since this is the original kit (why are there dark alphas/2 different versions anyway? just run a new design if you want a new look).

NK and Mykeyboard aren't Massdrop.

PS: Colevrak and norde suck.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 12:03:20 »
Good day everyone,

Regarding: Feedback

Most of the changes between Olivia and Olivia++ were based on feedback from the first round. Olivia came with a list of changes for ++ including kit changes, layout coverage, and an alternate color-scheme, and currently this thread is a circlejerk about NorDEUK and Colemak & Dvorak.

Some of you have suggested some additions on this IC, most of them were already addressed by Olivia on October 19:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102914.150

Q: Base kits:
A: "The kits will be very different from the original GB to support the 2 different color modes."

If this is not clear enough, this means that Olivia ++ will have two base kits and both kits will have the exact same layout support:
40%, UK ISO, Space Bars, Novelties, and More Novelties.

Q: tweaked icon mods?:
A: No, the set will use the standard text + icon mods.

Just like the first round, the set will use the same modifiers.

Q: R5 bottom row?
No, the set will be using a R4.

Q: Colemak & Dvorak kit:
A: No, it won't be available.

Q: NorDEUK kit?
A: There will not be a NorDEUK kit, only UK ISO.

Getting suggestions is one thing, complaining for 4 pages about 2 kits is another.

Group buy runners deal differently when someone repeatedly complains on their IC about the lack of X or Y kit or layout support.
Some confront those messages with short line answers and get the reputation of being massive ****s.
For some others it makes them less confident about their sets, and creates stress.

Regarding: this set will sell so much that we have to make X kit.

You are assuming too much. There's a lot of interest for this set,  but that doesn't guarantee a damn thing.
Interest is not a direct translation to "this set will sell 1200 Dark base kits".
We have many examples of a designer trying to please everyone and then having issues during the group buy, ending up with the vendor purchasing kits to MOQ.
Assuming that a set will sell like hot cakes can lead to bad group buys.

Regarding: not having posted the kits yet.

I take the blame for that one.

For ++, I strongly suggested Olivia to make a site (https://oliviaplus.plus) so she could to provide all the information you need about the set including kits, kit descriptions, keyboard gallery, links to all of the vendors, pricing...

Olivia will be posting instead an OP update later today.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 13:25:25 »
Group buy runners deal differently when someone repeatedly complains on their IC about the lack of X or Y kit or layout support.
Some confront those messages with short line answers and get the reputation of being massive ****s.
For some others it makes them less confident about their sets, and creates stress.
None of that would happen if there were clear cut, transparent answers that can convince all the people *****ing that they are being morons. It's always shady, beating around the bush ****. Imagine if runners just said, "Our budgeting estimates 1200 base kits sold around $X per kit, 600 of <insert kit here> sold for $Y a kit. NordeUK estimates 50 at $Z, and with our 5% safety  padding for all kits, presents way to much risk to run, so we aren't going to do it." OR "We don't feel like doing any risk assessment, and we also don't really give a **** about nordeuk anyway, so we just aren't going to do it."

No runner owes anybody any of this, but when they just brush people off with arrogance, they are going to look like a massive **** (your words), and they could have done something about it.

We have many examples of a designer trying to please everyone and then having issues during the group buy, ending up with the vendor purchasing kits to MOQ.
Wouldn't it be good to share those examples, for the sake of everyone in this thread? Designers, people *****ing about alt kits, and people *****ing about people *****ing about alt kits would all benefit with an example of where hype and hubris screwed over a vendor.

Again, none of this is owed to anyone, but if people actually cared about all these nordeuk fanboys complaining, there would be a post truly showing how stupid their complaints are. Everyone, INCLUDING NordDeUK fanboys, want a reason for Nordeuk fanboys to shutup, but nobody will give a clearcut reason. NorDeUk is obviously a relevant enough of a layout that it can soak up 4 pages in a month old thread, as well as be a whole meme for drama, but it's also apparently obvious (to runners, vendors, designers) to not run it. Why not just share what is so painfully obvious to runners with the low tier, plebeian drones, so it can be painfully obvious for them too?

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #353 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 13:25:45 »
Website's morse code message:

More
HIDDEN INSIDE

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 13:43:41 »

Q: Base kits:
A: "The kits will be very different from the original GB to support the 2 different color modes."

If this is not clear enough, this means that Olivia ++ will have two base kits and both kits will have the exact same layout support:
40%, UK ISO, Space Bars, Novelties, and More Novelties.

How was that clear cut at all? Why's it gotta be so secretive

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #355 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 13:53:11 »
How I interpreted the message is, there will be 2 base kits. One base kit is the rose gold on black set. The other is the original white, black, rose gold

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline msting

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:09:27 »
I want an Ergodox Colevrak kit with icon mods and scooped homing.
There!
 >:D

Offline megaforce

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:33:42 »
None of that would happen if there were clear cut, transparent answers that can convince all the people *****ing that they are being morons. It's always shady, beating around the bush ****. Imagine if runners just said, "Our budgeting estimates 1200 base kits sold around $X per kit, 600 of <insert kit here> sold for $Y a kit. NordeUK estimates 50 at $Z, and with our 5% safety  padding for all kits, presents way to much risk to run, so we aren't going to do it." OR "We don't feel like doing any risk assessment, and we also don't really give a **** about nordeuk anyway, so we just aren't going to do it."

No runner owes anybody any of this, but when they just brush people off with arrogance, they are going to look like a massive **** (your words), and they could have done something about it.

Wouldn't it be good to share those examples, for the sake of everyone in this thread? Designers, people *****ing about alt kits, and people *****ing about people *****ing about alt kits would all benefit with an example of where hype and hubris screwed over a vendor.

Again, none of this is owed to anyone, but if people actually cared about all these nordeuk fanboys complaining, there would be a post truly showing how stupid their complaints are. Everyone, INCLUDING NordDeUK fanboys, want a reason for Nordeuk fanboys to shutup, but nobody will give a clearcut reason. NorDeUk is obviously a relevant enough of a layout that it can soak up 4 pages in a month old thread, as well as be a whole meme for drama, but it's also apparently obvious (to runners, vendors, designers) to not run it. Why not just share what is so painfully obvious to runners with the low tier, plebeian drones, so it can be painfully obvious for them too?

Are you done wasting your parents internet bandwidth?

**** off m8
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:40:56 »

**** off m8
LUL I'm sorry did I upset you? Pardon me, let me just fall in line with everyone else

Offline honoka

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:13:46 »

More
HIDDEN INSIDE

I officially don't want this anymore.
Not that it matters to anyone but I've never seen this level of arrogance on this platform.

Offline gMit

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:17:06 »
You all needa relax and enjoy a lovely set

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:20:49 »

More
HIDDEN INSIDE

I officially don't want this anymore.
Not that it matters to anyone but I've never seen this level of arrogance on this platform.

I’m not sure how that comes across as arrogance, but I can tell you that it definitely is not from Olivia. She wanted to do something fun with solving a puzzle. A lot of effort was actually made for this scavenger hunt/ riddle.

The kits will be coming very soon, and they are priced better than I have ever been able to price things.

I’m sorry you feel that way, but that’s not how it was meant to come across.

Offline honoka

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:28:12 »
I think that the timing is the issue. Having a scavenger hunt this close to start of a groupbuy is what makes this appear as arrogance.
Usually people plan for what they want to reserve funds for and since these sets are expensive, however cheap they might be comparatively, it's still a lot of money. Not knowing what's even on the table 2 weeks from the start is putting me off.
Also, that's the reason for this discussion. We are a bunch of people that don't know and the speculation is killing the intent of this IC.

Edit: Quote editing on mobile is weird.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:31:54 by honoka »

Offline Imperilous

« Reply #363 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:39:54 »
With that in mind: Please consider that there is also a dark number of people buying the base kit only because there is a NorDeUK (or whatever kit). So the sole sale of a particular kit does probably not do the overall success in terms of income justice.
Exactly the position that I and probably every NorDeUK user is in. There are so many sets I didn't buy even though I loved their colours: GMK 8008, GMK Nines and now probably GMK Olivia++.
Yeah, same here. No NorDeUK = No purchase. There has probably been like 6-8 sets that i would've wanted to buy the last year but i haven't due to the fact that NorDeUK is not an option. The only one I've jumped on is Oblivion V2 (which hopefully will start shipping soon), and now it looks like Modern Dolch Light may be the next set dropping with Norde included so i'll deffo join that with a full set or two.

I think Olivia looks amazing so i'm really sad to see NorDeUK won't be an option. Fingers crossed for round 3 (+++) then i suppose :/

Offline tonydatigeryo

« Reply #364 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 15:49:11 »
I’m just trying to figure out if I should save money for this or not.  Personally, all I want to know is if ortho boards be supported, though I know others are curious about other compatibility. Kit information is mostly what people want and one of the biggest parts of an IC, so why is this information only going to come out last minute?

A random picture here and there, with no kit information since the IC... it’s a bit frustrating especially with so many group buys running right now, and I’m not sure if I should save money for this or buy something else, and time runs out quickly.

Time is of the essence, but there has only been small teasers that don’t give people information they need to make good purchasing decisions with these limited time frame buys.

Offline dragon564738

« Reply #365 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:11:57 »
Even if the timing of the scavenger hunt was a bit off, it's still a good set. Personally, I thought it was a fun touch.

Literally, no sets sell an adequate amount of Nordeuk/Colevrak sets, especially since there are two colors of alphas now, you could conceivably cut numbers for Dracula, etc in half to get a reasonable amount; probably going to be less than MOQ.

Not enough people use either layout to make it economical. The set runners have no obligation to cater to your personal needs and honestly if you care enough about the set to write like 3 pages of rants about how ne nordeuk avail, you should honestly just change to ANSI because it seems that you really care about the set.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #366 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:29:27 »
I applaud the designers for wanting to do something different with this IC, but I do agree that it's starting to get tiresome when the release is so close and none of the clues give us any incremental information about the set.

They just bounce people from one dead-end point to another.

It seems like the reward for solving one puzzle is another puzzle.

I think it was cool for the first puzzle to tell us when the GB date was, but a puzzle that leads to a website that leads to morse code that leads to...etc. doesn't add much.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:31:20 by DukeEsquire »

Offline superuser41

« Reply #367 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:31:06 »
Open Sesame!

Offline dexie

« Reply #368 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:32:57 »
Open Sesame!
Probably a related question: did you use Octave or MATLAB?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ISO Life

Offline superuser41

« Reply #369 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:33:36 »
Octave

Offline dexie

« Reply #370 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:36:45 »
Octave
Bravo! I decoded "Open Sdqaf", and I am not sure why :(

ISO Life

Offline olivia

« Reply #371 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 17:02:28 »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #372 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 18:24:31 »
I’m not sure how that comes across as arrogance, but I can tell you that it definitely is not from Olivia. She wanted to do something fun with solving a puzzle. A lot of effort was actually made for this scavenger hunt/ riddle.

The kits will be coming very soon, and they are priced better than I have ever been able to price things.

I love scavenger hunts/riddles personally, so I'm a huge fan of what has been done here - as other have stated, I think gating stuff behind it to this extent is a little excessive though. My main qualm with how the IC has been handled is mostly relating to what Zambu addressed above; nothing posted on the date the thread was created, one render thrown out after Hoff called out the lack of information, no real community outreach from any of the people responsible for the project, no kit mockups so that people can know what to expect/how much they should be looking at saving in order to purchase the set, etc.

I just think the advertisement vs actual IC tension here is just too high for a lot of people, comes across as kinda smug being this cryptic and truth be told rightfully so in my opinion, even though I'm entirely sure that's not the intent.

There was huge tumult when Mito used to post his ICs on here if anyone remembers that, because they were basically an ad for his Massdrop collabs rather than an actual interest check - despite him typing out a 1000 line OP with ultra detailed info and responding to basically every single person with concerns. What we've seen here is basically the same except pretty much without the detail, renders and communication from OP's side.

Offline superuser41

« Reply #373 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 19:12:41 »
Octave
Bravo! I decoded "Open Sdqaf", and I am not sure why :(

This happens when your message length is wrong.

Offline jakereps

« Reply #374 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 19:36:44 »

I love scavenger hunts/riddles personally, so I'm a huge fan of what has been done here - as other have stated, I think gating stuff behind it to this extent is a little excessive though. My main qualm with how the IC has been handled is mostly relating to what Zambu addressed above; nothing posted on the date the thread was created, one render thrown out after Hoff called out the lack of information, no real community outreach from any of the people responsible for the project, no kit mockups so that people can know what to expect/how much they should be looking at saving in order to purchase the set, etc.

I just think the advertisement vs actual IC tension here is just too high for a lot of people, comes across as kinda smug being this cryptic and truth be told rightfully so in my opinion, even though I'm entirely sure that's not the intent.

There was huge tumult when Mito used to post his ICs on here if anyone remembers that, because they were basically an ad for his Massdrop collabs rather than an actual interest check - despite him typing out a 1000 line OP with ultra detailed info and responding to basically every single person with concerns. What we've seen here is basically the same except pretty much without the detail, renders and communication from OP's side.

Very much agree with this statement. I mentioned earlier, but the puzzle on day one was cool - me and my buddy were messaging each other trying to figure it out, and it was fun to see/read the reveal and write up of the puzzle. A month later and only weeks before GB, having no more information than the picture that was already leaked before the IC is just too much of a "dgaf" vibe, intentional or not.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #375 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 20:14:32 »

Very much agree with this statement. I mentioned earlier, but the puzzle on day one was cool - me and my buddy were messaging each other trying to figure it out, and it was fun to see/read the reveal and write up of the puzzle. A month later and only weeks before GB, having no more information than the picture that was already leaked before the IC is just too much of a "dgaf" vibe, intentional or not.

Yup. Agreed.

Teasers are fun. Teasers this close to the drop without any new info is less fun.

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #376 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 22:57:45 »
Yawn. How is this even an "interest check" when all the kits are decided and everything is pretty much ready to go? An IC thread implies you want some opinions from the community which you obviously do not. No kits are changing here. In fact, we have no idea what the kits even are.

So kudos to this amazing interest check. /s

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #377 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:09:30 »
let me decode everything for you.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #378 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:10:20 »
Being part of GH for a few months now.
Definitely, there is a pattern established on how the IC is constructed (some info, renders, etc, ...), but I believe the purpose of IC is to give feedback to designers, but only if they need it.

IC - is to help designers to make the right decisions, not to help us. So if they don't need our feedback, let believe in them and give them room to breathe. They already have ideas for any creation they do, IC should be place where they can ask "us" about certain decisions if they need it, not to answer or deal with "we want things" comments (interest check form is for that). If they ask - we can answer, with respect and some empathy. We don't have to deal with the design process, vendors, risk, etc. This is not place to expose the final product, if Olivia++ is less open, then it means they already established some decisions and design going well. Let's respect that :)

GB - this is the place to ask questions before the final buy. The design process is done, and before we put our money for creation they prepared, GB owner should be obligated to answer any question (and here IMHO is the place to judge anyone if there is lack of answer). GB runs for a month usually, so this is enough time for anyone to make the right decision before buy, save money or ask questions on GB threat.

PS: There is always drama when dealing with people and opinions what is right/wrong, on forums, at work, school ;) but at least people are able to forgive. Let's be happy about the new set coming out and respect each other.

Have a good day!
Peace and love :)
xoxo
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:14:56 by dom »

Offline olivia

« Reply #379 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:31:43 »
Updated the IC with the full details. Thank you very much friends for your patience!

Offline suparnemo

« Reply #380 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:42:08 »
Updated the IC with the full details. Thank you very much friends for your patience!

Looks great. Pricing is really good, too. Super hype!

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #381 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:43:14 »
Pricing looks great for the size of the kits. Super excited for this.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #382 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:46:18 »
If my math is correct, I'm in for 1 base kit and 3 hi kits to fill out an alt layout hhkb

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #383 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:50:37 »
Oh wow I was expeciting $120 for base but this is even better!  Thanks Olivia and vendors!   :thumb:

Offline xine007

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:57:55 »
Thanks for all the hard work, Olivia and team!  I’m in for probably everything but ISO. Love the simple novelties  ;D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:02:24 »
Oh wow I was expeciting $120 for base but this is even better!  Thanks Olivia and vendors!   :thumb:

presumably this is because it is v high MOQ

which it will meet because, olivia
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #386 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:06:34 »
Argh. I was actually hoping we'd be allowed to just purchase dark alphas separately instead of being forced to purchase a whole base kit. I feel like if you ran a legit IC, quite a few people would've voiced that opinion.

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:11:15 by Aevyn »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #387 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:11:13 »
Argh. I was actually hoping we'd be allowed to just purchase dark alphas separately instead of being forced to purchase a whole base kit..

full base kit is more effective for more people, so that's probably why it was run

shouldn't be hard to sell the mods, should you choose to go that route
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #388 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:22:45 »
Are the split white space bars missing from the space bars kit or is that just a render error?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #389 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:24:46 »
If you're taking feedback...

I'd like to see split bars and the extra 'B' in the spacebar kit please. Preferably the white bars.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:32:01 »
Are the split white space bars missing from the space bars kit or is that just a render error?

I'd like to see split bars and the extra 'B' in the spacebar kit please. Preferably the white bars.

they're in "Extra Mods" kit

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #391 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:36:53 »
those are the accent space bars in the extension kit

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #392 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 00:46:49 »
why the price in Europe is so different than US? (it is information not a controversy)

Offline nappis

« Reply #393 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 01:21:20 »

Offline martink

« Reply #394 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 01:55:06 »
why the price in Europe is so different than US? (it is information not a controversy)

mykeyboard.eu price includes 21% VAT.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #395 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 02:04:35 »

**** off m8
LUL I'm sorry did I upset you? Pardon me, let me just fall in line with everyone else

It's obviously a troll.

Offline Tennstrong

« Reply #396 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 02:06:55 »
R3 Backspace for hhkb layout reads "Delete"  in the renders

I'm gonna be in for [light] [dark] [novs] [hihihi] [spaces] and possibly [iso]  :D (as well as deskmats)

Offline dmxtrix

« Reply #397 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 02:40:56 »

they're in "Extra Mods" kit

I think they're talking about white split spacebars and not the accent colored ones.

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #398 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 03:11:53 »
finally some good ****ing food

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #399 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 04:01:28 »
@Olivia

Great kits! Love that there are two separate base kits so you won't be forced to buy an additional alpha kit!

One of the main things I hear a lot about the OG Olivia set is that there only are accents spacebars. With that in mind, have you considered adding alpha colored split spacebar support to perhaps the add-on kit or the spacebar kit? I honestly don't have an exact idea how to split this up, since it would either make the add-on kit very big (and most likely expensive) or would mean that for 40's support you'd have to buy both spacebar kit AND 40's kit. My first gut feeling would be to keep the add-on as-is but alpha colored split spacebar support to the spacebar kit making that slightly larger.