Author Topic: Does anyone have an Ikea Dave?  (Read 9146 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Does anyone have an Ikea Dave?
« on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 19:09:43 »
I am thinking of buying one, but I've never seen one and I am wondering about the qualty. The Ikea store nearest me is three and a half hours away.

Thanks.

Offline ozar

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 19:19:58 »
Just looked it up and the price certainly looks good enough, but I wasn't all that impressed with their stuff when I drove the 160 mile round trip to my closest Ikea.

In fact, I said at the time that I'd never go back.  Hope someone is more familiar with this particular piece and can give you some info on it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 19:54:34 »
Quote from: ripster;89083
Tip: Three hours is a long way to go for meatball gravy:yuck:.

- Ripster

Not when it's my brand, baby.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 23:05:14 »
I have an IKea right down the street from me. From my perspective I would not buy anything from them site unseen especially furniture of any type. Most of their small items are pretty good quality. But their furniture is really hit or miss with the majority of it being a miss.

My wife loves the place but I will not let her buy any furniture from them unless I take a look at it first. Some of it is fairly decent but the majority is junk. Because of this we do not have any of there furniture in the house right now but we have had some in the past. We do have quite a bit of there other stuff though.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline Manyak

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 23:29:47 »
If you want a nice laptop stand, get this instead. It's perfect for sitting on the couch :)

There's only one good thing from ikea, and that's the Helmer:

Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 00:02:19 »
My brother has a Dave. He personally likes it, but uses a slide-around desk with wheels on the bottom for his laptop.

I have a bit of Ikea furniture, but it's pretty much the best kind of furniture when living in an apartment. I don't expect it to hold together much when we move though lol

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 00:18:52 »
Thanks guys for your feedback. The Dave is cheap enough and I don't plan to use it that long. My wife and kid will use it for art and I'm gonna use it for my typewriter (the EP43 only weighs about 4.5 pounds).

Offline wheel83

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 01:33:19 »
i personally dont think the dave is sturdy enough.  i have mounted it to other things and it worked well.

my favorite ikea item of all time is the jerker.  i am sitting in front of 2 of them with many options with them.  its an amazing desk they dont make anymore.
I <3 BS

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 04:47:50 »
Quote from: Manyak;89098
If you want a nice laptop stand, get this instead. It's perfect for sitting on the couch :)

Show Image

There's only one good thing from ikea, and that's the Helmer:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So just what it is that you got going on there in the file cabinet?

Looks awesome.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 09:07:00 »
Quote from: webwit;89129
Show Image

I had one of these, but it had to be ceremonially destroyed. The evil!

got pics?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 09:24:04 »
I was very impressed with their cafeteria when I visited their store in Round Rock (Austin).  I agree with the others that their furniture is pretty hit or miss.  I did buy a "LACK" bookshelf and laid it sideways.  I attached 4 of their 8" stainless steel "all purpose" legs and turned the bookshelf into the TV stand in my theater.  Since I have a DLP RP, I needed something low so I could be lined up with the center of the TV.

Offline Manyak

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 10:46:37 »
Quote from: bigpook;89128
So just what it is that you got going on there in the file cabinet?

Looks awesome.

not me :(

Its a render farm, check it out: http://helmer.sfe.se/
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline ozar

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 12:21:32 »
Quote from: itlnstln;89156
I was very impressed with their cafeteria when I visited their store in Round Rock (Austin).  I agree with the others that their furniture is pretty hit or miss.  I did buy a "LACK" bookshelf and laid it sideways.  I attached 4 of their 8" stainless steel "all purpose" legs and turned the bookshelf into the TV stand in my theater.  Since I have a DLP RP, I needed something low so I could be lined up with the center of the TV.
Yeah, that's the store that I went to, and don't plan to ever go back to.  There was nothing about their store, their service, or their products that appealed to me at all.  Everything they had felt and looked cheap, like it was made of very thin particle board, plastic, etc.  Still, I'm glad that I went that one time so that I now know to stay clear of their products and stores.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 12:46:48 »
Ikea is definitely a love or hate place. I find it an amazingly affordable way to decorate my home while it's neutral enough it blends in with existing furniture.

And the Jerker owns...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 12:52:27 »
I wouldn't mind replacing my cabinets with some from IKEA.

Offline ozar

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 13:07:03 »
Quote from: o2dazone;89194
Ikea is definitely a love or hate place.

Yes, it's easy to see that it's a big hit with lots of folks because they have huge stores, and usually have very large crowds roaming around in them.  My own wife is a big fan of Ikea, so we have to fuss about it every time we drive by there.  :lol:

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 13:17:44 »
what I'm sorry I can't hea..IKEA

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 13:30:55 »
That's a pretty famous mod. Those drawers are nice, I've considered ordering one but I need the drawers to latch so the Helmer wouldn't do it for me. I bought a traditional Hon metal 22' filing cabinet instead.

I'm gonna buy a Dave. It's cheap enough that I won't care if my kid destroys it in a couple months.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 15:01:25 »
I happen to love a lot of their office furniture.  MUCH better than the crap you'll find at your local OfficeMax/Depot/etc.

HERE is an older picture of my home office with lots of Ikea furniture.

Offline ozar

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 15:04:26 »
Quote from: iMav;89221
MUCH better than the crap you'll find at your local OfficeMax/Depot/etc.

Please... don't even get me started on that crap.  Most of it wobbles back and forth after you assemble it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 17:25:05 »
That's true, and also the reason I use a metal furnature motif with my office stuff.

Offline huha

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 19:36:46 »
I think your expectations are too high. Ikea is cheap; you won't get much service there, but you also don't have to pay for it. Good furniture can get extremely expensive quite quickly, so if you're not planning on spending a fortune, Ikea is the place to go. It certainly is not as well-built as more expensive alternatives (and at least one screw is always left or missing! ;)), but it does the job. It won't last for decades, but you just can't expect that at the price point. You get what you pay for and Ikea is at least decent most of the time.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 20:23:22 »
Quote from: o2dazone;89194
Ikea is definitely a love or hate place. I find it an amazingly affordable way to decorate my home while it's neutral enough it blends in with existing furniture.

And the Jerker owns...

I was on the Ikea web site and it looks like the Jerker is no longer sold. Too bad, it looks like a decent desk.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 20:24:44 »
It was replaced by something a while ago, forgot the (stupid) name they gave it.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 20:32:43 »
maybe I didn't look hard enough but I didn't see anything that resembled it.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 20:45:52 »
yeah, that is a strange name for a desk. The thought crossed my mine at first that it may have come with a tissue box holder. Then I thought, nahh. They wouldn't really do that, right?

But I am not from Sweden, so I may have missed the joke. Ikea is Swedish, right?

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 20:48:43 »
It was replaced with the Fredrick, and yeah, I wonder why they call it the jerker :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 21:03:00 »
Searching for Fredrick on the Ikea website turns up nothing.

I want to see this desk now : )

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 22:31:56 »
er sorry, Fredrik and it doesn't even compare to the Jerker :( in fact it wouldn't even be related if they didn't pull the Jerker off the market and immediately put up the Fredrik in it's place

googled a few images

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 00:33:26 »
I like it actually. I would like to have those shelves, but then again I don't like my desk facing a wall, like it is now. Crap.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 01:18:05 »
Quote from: ripster;89351
Figures that you'd like "Jerker" better.

I had to do a search to make sure that desk was for real.

I bought one after watching the precarious sway-belly development a $150 self-assembly cart took when I decided a 19" CRT was a desirable posession.  

I wanted something which could accomodate any CRT I was apt to own.

It's held up okay, except for the laminate speckling in the mousing area; however, there's much less expected of it now.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 15:25:16 »
I have bought Ikea stuff.  There wasn't one near me when I lived in the midwest, and so it seemed "exotic."  When I moved to NJ five years ago, I soon learned what many people here are saying.  A few things are good but most of it is not.  Sure, it's not horrible if you need to buy something cheap, but it's not quality.  It's like buying a $10 keyboard.  It will suit you fine for a short time, but it isn't even that cool while you do have it. :)
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline wheel83

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 22:17:26 »
i owned 2 fredericks and now use dual jerkers ... jerkers are far superior.  i will probably own them for a long time.
I <3 BS

Offline bigpook

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 06:29:38 »
cool, I want a Fartful couch. That would be awesome. On second thought.... maybe not.