Author Topic: English words you thought were pronounced differently  (Read 12158 times)

Online HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: English words you thought were pronounced differently
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:46:47 »
Skip to 1:50 for pronunciations.  ;)

Offline jacobolus

Re: Engish words you thought were pronounced differently
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:53:07 »
You guys, don't sweat it. English words are pronounced differently in different Commonwealth countries,
What is this “commonwealth” baloney? Also, the California accent is clearly the only correct one, dude. :P

That's why some names in the UK have weird pronunciations, only because the local Lord or Peer wanted to be different and assert his superiority.
What? Do you have an example? As far as I know all the weird UK pronunciations are just the local custom, and have nothing to do with some noble telling anyone what to do.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:58:07 by jacobolus »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:48:58 »
I was working at a Montessori school and heard, multiple times, teachers and admins say "pronunciate"  instead of "pronounce". That was a new one to me.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:52:58 »
I was working at a Montessori school and heard, multiple times, teachers and admins say "pronunciate"  instead of "pronounce". That was a new one to me.
That’s not a word real people use. It’s one of those “trying too hard” mixups. In this case, I’m guessing a mishmash of “enunciate” and “pronounce”.

The other fun one is when people pronounce pronunciation like “pronounce-iation”.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:00:13 »
Exactly, that's why I was so shocked to hear it used by people teaching children.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:15:02 »
I know a lot of people who still say 'irregardless'

If we're going to get needlessly pedantic irregardless and regardless are two separate words that have same meaning irrespective of which one you use.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:19:46 »
^that's flatout wrong, as the prefix is completely redundant. though it would be hilarious if this word were to go the way of 'literally' - misused to the point of being accepted by the culture at large

while we're on the topic on mixups, what are some words that are pronounced correctly in real life, but often misspelled online? i know there's a bunch, but the only one that comes to mind right now is per se - often wrongly written as per say. this isn't counting commonly committed grammar atrocities like it's/its and then/than. it's ****ing 2014 people, there's really no excuse to be that stupid

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:40:53 »
it's ****ing 2014 people, there's really no excuse to be that stupid
All sorts of people are on the internet: children, foreigners just learning the language, folks who are barely literate through no fault of their own, etc. There are plenty of reasons someone might make a grammatical mistake; being stupid is seldom the reason, and honest mistakes need no excuses. In general, humans are pretty damn clever, even the ones unfamiliar with literary culture. It’s entirely unhelpful in almost every circumstance to berate or insult someone for making a mistake.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:43:20 »
i said it mostly in jest, but you wouldn't believe the number of extremely smart people who still makes these elementary mistakes

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:47:01 »
Well, at least try gentle correction the first couple times. If they keep ****ing the language up after that, you can always resort to hitting them in the shins with a baseball bat until they get it.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:48:46 »
Niche.

I still don't know how to say it.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:53:51 »
Niche. I still don't know how to say it.
Like nich. Rhymes with itch or pitch or stitch. The original meaning is some little nook in the wall, like those spots saints fit in in Catholic churches. Comes from the French verb for birds making a nest. So lots of people pronounce it as a French word, like neesh. This is silly and unnecessary; it’s been a word in English for centuries.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:56:58 by jacobolus »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:56:11 »
Well, at least try gentle correction the first couple times. If they keep ****ing the language up after that, you can always resort to hitting them in the shins with a baseball bat until they get it.
i don't bother, some of those people are literally twice my age and extremely intelligent. it's just strangely irritating to see them write an otherwise perfect post/essay and have one or two grammar mistakes like those i described, sticking out like a sore thumb

btw i always called it 'neesh'. from what i know both are accepted pronunciations, though 'nitch' is definitely the more commonly used of the two

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:21:29 »
Coupon = koo-pon     not     kyou-pon

Just think of coup = koo  or  coupe = koop  or troupe = troop...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:27:00 »
Coupon = koo-pon     not     kyou-pon
This is just regional dialect variation.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:29:36 »
The second is incorrect regardless of whether it's regional or not.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:31:00 »
i said it mostly in jest, but you wouldn't believe the number of extremely smart people who still makes these elementary mistakes

I stick with irregardless because it's more fun to say. Most of my language choices are made by my face.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:35:58 »
Irregardless is wrong because it's a double negative.

"I don't have no money" is a double negative. "I don't have any money" is correct.

Irregardless is like saying "I don't have no regard" as opposed to "I have no regard" which is correct.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:40:35 »
I don't get why double negatives are so frowned upon in English.
They're all over the place in other languages.

Language isn't math.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:46:05 »
I ain't got no idea, but that's the way it is. ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:49:51 »
Niche.

I still don't know how to say it.

Yeah idk why Americans say it nitch... there is no T in it lol

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:51:23 »
English is a weird and hard language. And like jacobolus pointed out, there are regional variations that make it even harder sometimes. I spent my childhood saying "unthaw" instead of "thaw" because that's what my Grandmother would say.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:51:39 »
I ain't got no idea, but that's the way it is. ;)
It's just one of those things, like splitting infinitives.
We're taught not to do them, and to act as if we're confused by them, but no one actually is.

It's silly.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 02:54:51 »
Rules is rules. You if understand might, but not otherwise.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:02:02 »
Rules is rules. You if understand might, but not otherwise.
Now you're just being a butt ;)

I ain't sayin' all rules are dumb, but some just seem to exist to give Grammar Nazis something to do, and don't affect comprehension one way or the other.
I've always been a 'as long as we understand each other, go nuts' sort of English speaker.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:05:53 »
Americans (and other English speakers; there’s not much difference between most English dialects in this case) don’t say it as “nitch”, they say it as “nich”, precisely rhyming with “lich”, “rich”, or “which”. The sound here is a glottal stop, not a “t”. It’s just that words ending in -tch like hitch, pitch, witch, glitch, itch, etc. are pronounced in approximately the same way, because often the “t” sound in those words is often mostly or entirely replaced by the glottal stop.

As Wikipedia puts it: “Standard English inserts a glottal stop before a tautosyllabic voiceless stop, e.g. sto’p, tha’t, kno’ck, wa’tch, also lea’p, soa’k, hel’p, pin’ch.”

And also: “In many accents of English, voiceless stops [...] are glottalized. This may be heard either as a glottal stop preceding the oral closure ("pre-glottalization" or "glottal reinforcement") or as a substitution of the glottal stop [ʔ] for the oral stop (glottal replacement). Pre-glottalization normally occurs in British and American English when the voiceless consonant phoneme is followed by another consonant or when the consonant is in final position. Thus football and catching are often pronounced [ˈfʊʔtbɔːl] and [ˈkæʔtʃɪŋ], respectively. Glottal replacement often happens in cases such as those just given, so that football is frequently pronounced [ˈfʊʔbɔːl].”

I suppose you might sometimes get the reverse situation, where people insert an explicit “t” sound into the way they say “niche”, “lich”, “rich”, or “which”, just to make it consistent with similarly pronounced words that do have a t in them. This is non-standard though, and I don’t think it’s too common.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:25:32 by jacobolus »

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:13:46 »
I don't think it's necessary to correct someone in casual conversation, but I do think it's crucial that someone learning the language be given the best opportunity to understand the rules. If this wasn't a thread about grammar then I would gladly keep my mouth shut. 

I don't like grammar Nazis either. It's usually not necessary or appropriate to correct others, but if that person is a child or ESL it may help that person.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 04:02:35 »
Americans (and other English speakers; there�s not much difference between most English dialects in this case) don�t say it as �nitch�, they say it as �nich�, precisely rhyming with �lich�, �rich�, or �which�. The sound here is a glottal stop, not a �t�. It�s just that words ending in -tch like hitch, pitch, witch, glitch, itch, etc. are pronounced in approximately the same way, because often the �t� sound in those words is often mostly or entirely replaced by the glottal stop.

As Wikipedia puts it: �Standard English inserts a glottal stop before a tautosyllabic voiceless stop, e.g. sto�p, tha�t, kno�ck, wa�tch, also lea�p, soa�k, hel�p, pin�ch.�

And also: �In many accents of English, voiceless stops [...] are glottalized. This may be heard either as a glottal stop preceding the oral closure ("pre-glottalization" or "glottal reinforcement") or as a substitution of the glottal stop [ʔ] for the oral stop (glottal replacement). Pre-glottalization normally occurs in British and American English when the voiceless consonant phoneme is followed by another consonant or when the consonant is in final position. Thus football and catching are often pronounced [ˈfʊʔtbɔːl] and [ˈk�ʔtʃɪŋ], respectively. Glottal replacement often happens in cases such as those just given, so that football is frequently pronounced [ˈfʊʔbɔːl].�

I suppose you might sometimes get the reverse situation, where people insert an explicit �t� sound into the way they say �niche�, �lich�, �rich�, or �which�, just to make it consistent with similarly pronounced words that do have a t in them. This is non-standard though, and I don�t think it�s too common.

I'm sure your right and that all that makes sense, but when I watch UK TV shows and/or the BBC news (usually the 'go to' for pronunciation) they say 'neesh' and on American TV shows that I watch they say nitch...

Offline Coreda

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 05:49:14 »
That's why some names in the UK have weird pronunciations, only because the local Lord or Peer wanted to be different and assert his superiority.
What? Do you have an example? As far as I know all the weird UK pronunciations are just the local custom, and have nothing to do with some noble telling anyone what to do.

I've heard that English was influenced by nobility and the influential, too, although not sure about the 'telling them to' part. Certainly place and food names being changed to French versions for one, but also accent variations that became the norm due to those places being the central hub of the wealthy.

The latter was touched on in this video by a Germanic languages expert and former teacher, that was explaining a Youtuber Let's Player's English accent, going back centuries and describing the vowel shifts that occurred between American and British English.

Not about the word 'Niche' per se, but another video by the same person above was made about the proper pronunciation of 'Lich', such as found in fantasy books, which is pronounced 'Litch'. Fascinating break down, and really went into depth about the history of such words. Still, in this case 'neesh' and 'nitch' are both correct pronunciations.

He made a series of videos explaining both the history and correct ways of saying various words the Youtube LP'er 'Gopher' had asked about, including Is Swimmable A Word?, Cacti or Cactuses?, and the pronunciation of 'Shaman'.

Offline iri

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 05:57:03 »
"I don't have no money" is a double negative. "I don't have any money" is correct.
isn't "i ain't got no money" a proper version?

and the pronunciation of 'Shaman'.
i don't even want to know how you guys pronounce "sastrugi".
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 06:17:07 »

How bout German people trying to say squirrel? :))
how about the french? SKUEEWELL
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 06:24:25 »
I'm hoping that was a joke iri, but I also remember that you are Russian. So, I'm not sure if you are cereal - super cereal.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline iri

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 06:37:13 »
I'm hoping that was a joke iri
it was
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:38:23 »
@Dorkvader - I was not saying that "banal" means timid, I meant that the word itself is timid in comparison to what I had previously thought about it, both in meaning and pronunciation.

Living just outside Atlanta, I am surprised when people pronounce the "r" on the end of it.

And how about those French-speakers who pronounce the city Detroit as something like "day-twa"?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:52:21 »
ribosome. I thought it was rib-osome, not rye-bosome?!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 11:00:54 »
I'm sure your right and that all that makes sense, but when I watch UK TV shows and/or the BBC news (usually the 'go to' for pronunciation) they say 'neesh' and on American TV shows that I watch they say nitch...
I think you’re missing my point. The typical pronunciation of this word in American English is “nich”, not “nitch”. There’s no “t” sound, just a glottal stop.

English speakers have been pronouncing “niche” has “nich” for hundreds of years; the “neesh” thing is a recent change by people who want to sound fancy. I suspect that the pronunciation change has to do with English people who identify as “cultured” wishing they could be living in Paris enjoying palatable food and good art and so on, instead of dreary England. :P

More seriously, this is a kind of interesting blog post about pronunciation in England vs. America of various words borrowed from French: http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2006/08/pronouncing-french-words-and-names.html
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:33:38 by jacobolus »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:46:55 »
There’s no “t” sound, just a glottal stop.
Huh? How do you pronounce "rich" without the 't' sound?
🍉

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 14:09:19 »
Well I’m not an expert here, but in my experience I feel like in some dialects there’s a subtle difference between “ch” and “tch” sounds (so that e.g. witch and which sound slightly different), while in other dialects they’re pronounced identically.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 14:12:11 by jacobolus »

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 14:09:57 »
suite, crazy what an "e" can change ._.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Online HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 14:10:44 »
Well I’m not an expert here, but in my experience I feel like in some dialects there’s a subtle difference between “ch” and “tch” sounds, while in other dialects they’re pronounced identically.

This is what I've observed as well.  The "tch" sound would have a slightly higher-pitched sound to it as you ever-so-slightly add the 't' in.  But functionally, you could pronounce them exactly the same and no one would care.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:10:41 »
I hate when people try to write the French word voilá and write it as "wa-la" or similar.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:14:53 »
I hate when people try to write the French word voilá and write it as "wa-la" or similar.
That would be "voilà".  ;D

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:26:46 »
I hate when people try to write the French word voil� and write it as "wa-la" or similar.
That would be "voil�".  ;D
;D

I remember going to steakhouse and ordering a tournedos (Tour-nuh-d�oh) with fries once. The waitress was looking at me with an empty look on her face until I pointed it out on the menu. Then she happily exclaimed "Ah, you mean Tornados! Comin' right up!" I was flabbergasted...

I was taught British English at school but since pretty much every form of media comes from the US with subtitles I ended up with a strange mix of American/British English.
Still think that the English language needs more commas though. Makes **** a lot easier to read.

|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Online HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:37:53 »
Still think that the English language needs more commas though. Makes **** a lot easier to read.

People over-use commas so much in written word, it's a little crazy.  :P  They'll tend to put commas wherever they might pause in speech, despite that not necessarily being the rule in written word.  It's not quite wrong to do that, but it makes it confusing and clunky in a lot of cases, and ends up splitting thoughts that shouldn't be split.

* HoffmanMyster wishes there were fewer commas he had to read in his day.   :-[

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:40:58 »
Huh, apparently the Oxford English Dictionary recommended the “nich” pronunciation of niche as recently as 1988. So its re-Frenchification in England is even more recent than I thought.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:43:33 »

I totally agree. My ancestral homeplace was Oxford, and I think that multiple commas in most sentences would clear up the meanings of a great deal of written work, as well as making it flow more like spoken English, as it should.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:56:14 »
I totally agree. My ancestral homeplace was Oxford, and I think that multiple commas in most sentences would clear up the meanings of a great deal of written work, as well as making it flow more like spoken English, as it should.
This man gets it.

People over-use commas so much in written word, it's a little crazy.  :P  They'll tend to put commas wherever they might pause in speech, despite that not necessarily being the rule in written word. It's not quite wrong to do that, but it makes it confusing and clunky in a lot of cases, and ends up splitting thoughts that shouldn't be split.
* HoffmanMyster wishes there were fewer commas he had to read in his day.   :-[
(this one would be wrong though, 'And' already serves the role of splitting up the sentence. :P )
Dutch is my native language and ,similarly to German, there are a lot more commas used in the written language than in English.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:36:01 »
(this one would be wrong though, 'And' already serves the role of splitting up the sentence. :P )
Dutch is my native language and ,similarly to German, there are a lot more commas used in the written language than in English.
Actually all four of the commas in his comment were wrong (according to modern conventions of formal written English). It was a joke; the whole point was to demonstrate ways that people use commas where they shouldn’t when writing according to modern standards.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:37:35 by jacobolus »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:36:39 »
Actually all four of the commas in his comment were wrong (according to modern conventions of formal written English). That was the whole point of them.
:'(
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 03:54:46 »
Relevant:
|||My other keyboards :
More
x