Author Topic: Tron  (Read 2902 times)

Offline o2dazone

Tron
« on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 17:45:45 »

Offline Mercen_505

Tron
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 20:48:50 »
I have no idea how I feel about this. The desaturated minimalist looks just doesn't jive with me. I feel like I'm watching the entire scene through a blue filter :( Also, although I love Daft Punk, I was a bit more excited when it was rumored that Ladytron was scoring the film. I will likely watch this, and will also likely be drinking white russians throughout the experience.

As much as I hate Monolith and everything they've ever done, I have to say I feel that Tron 2.0 did a much better job of capturing the feel of the first movie.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Tron
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 22:39:46 »
Hey Ripster, I think The Dude abides.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Tron
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 23:00:49 »
What losers! lol

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Tron
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 23:44:54 »
Ripster, you need a damn hobby.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Tron
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 23:47:47 »
Quote from: ripster;104372
I hated the video game more.

Assuming you're talking about "Tron" and not "Discs of Tron":

It was certainly a video game that felt designed by committee.  Admittedly, I really enjoyed it as a kid, which means it still triggers pleasure centers in my brain as an adult, while simultaneously, I have come to regard it as flawed and boring.

("Discs of Tron", on the other hand, still holds up pretty well to this day.)

And besides, I'm on the Twin Galaxies scoreboard for "Tron".  I used to be Number Eight, although I've since been kicked way down.

Re: the trailer.  I might well be the only person on the forum who finds this exciting.  Or at least the only one who admits to it.

EDIT:  after sleeping on this, some aspects of the trailer have come to bother me.  The most obvious thing is that the motorcycle helmets look pretty dopey -- I prefer the Devo helmets of the original -- but other than that I can't quite nail it down.   I think I'm bothered by the fact that this appears destined to end up as merely a 21st-century reimagining of the original (with the same "games"), but with better CGI and more intense action.

In the original, the "culture" inside the computer was supposed to reflect what computers were being used for in the real world (e.g., the "games" (with lightcycles, recognizers, thanks, and disc battles) were the exact same games that Flynn had developed himself).  Enough has changed in the world of computers (and computer gaming) since then, that you'd hope/expect the internal culture to have changed at least as dramatically.  There's a lot of creative potential for this, so if they just stick with the lightcycles and tanks it will feel like a lazy cop-out.

But the trailer does imply that the movie will be heavy and dark, which is a mood that I like, so maybe that will win out.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2009, 09:36:15 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Tron
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 23:55:43 »
Quote from: megarat;104423
It was certainly a video game that felt designed by committee.

lol

Offline wellington1869

Tron
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 July 2009, 00:22:02 »
I thought I heard Daft Punk in a car commercial recently.  (I think it was "robot rock" playing in the background).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline o2dazone

Tron
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 July 2009, 02:27:08 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;104396
I have no idea how I feel about this. The desaturated minimalist looks just doesn't jive with me. I feel like I'm watching the entire scene through a blue filter :( Also, although I love Daft Punk, I was a bit more excited when it was rumored that Ladytron was scoring the film. I will likely watch this, and will also likely be drinking white russians throughout the experience.

As much as I hate Monolith and everything they've ever done, I have to say I feel that Tron 2.0 did a much better job of capturing the feel of the first movie.

I had no idea Ladytron was originally going to do the score. I think Daft Punk "fits" more, but I would have loved to see Ladytron instead (plus they're hotter).

Offline Mr.6502

Tron
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 17:19:02 »
Quote from: webwit;111284
So, what about Avatar? I have been waiting for this movie.. but now, I see a combined vision of Waterworld and Jar Jar Binks. God, what a plot. And the blue guys still look fake. Wow, all that anticipation, I hope it can live up to it, but it seems a giant dud so far. I like the Tron trailer much better. I should have known better. I completely hated Titanic.

I have to give Avatar a chance.  Cameron's made too many movies I have really enjoyed for me to shoot it down without seeing it.  I did hate Titanic, but I did like Rambo 2, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 1 and 2, and True Lies.  I will say that I am less excited since I've seen the trailer.

The trailer for Tron did a much better job of getting me interested. However it didn't show much and I think it will take some real artistry to create an environment for the movie that reflects the enormous amount of advancement that should have taken place since the original.  If the whole thing is an update to how the original looked, I'll feel let down.  I would want something that appears as unique and stunning now as the original did when it was released.
"Engineers are really good at labeling and branding things ...  If we had named Kentucky Fried Chicken, it would have been Hot Dead Birds."

-Vint Cerf