Author Topic: Did Some Cooking This Weekend  (Read 14286 times)

Offline itlnstln

Did Some Cooking This Weekend
« on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:26:30 »
So I normally do the cooking around the house; I'm a kick-ass cook.  Since I come from a Sicilian family, I generally cook recipes my mom gives me, but for some reason, I never made Lasagne.  That said, I undertook the task Friday (it was "cold" here, and Texans can't drive when there's rain, ice, etc. on the roads, so the GF and I stayed home).  All I have to say is that it was by far the best Lasagne I have ever had including my mom's (I gave her some, too).  If you want the recipe, PM me.  If enough people ask, I'll just post it here.  Check it (pics courtesy of Mr. Blurrycam; don't expand the pics):

Assembled, ready to go in the oven:

My soux chef:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:29:54 »
About an hour later:

My GF taking a pic for her mom:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:30:31 »
If y'all do some cooking and want to share, please post pics/recipes.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:41:39 »
All of that is in my recipe, too. Ground lamb as well.

Lots of red wine helps too.

That's later.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:47:08 »
The dog (a Malitpoo) is my GF's.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:50:28 »
The only other thing I knew how to cook while dating was Eggplant parmesan.

Chicken Piccatta with Ricotta Arugula Tortelloni Carbonara is good, too.  Bonus points for using prociutto instead of bacon; it's crazy expensive in Texas, though.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:55:41 »
At least the lettuce and the cheese are real.  The verdict is still out on the meat.  If at all else, you have some real meat to share.

Not that I would know personally, or anything.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:04:52 »
yep
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2011, 02:00:17 by bitflipper »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:10:08 »
It doesn't matter what it's called as long as it's good.  There's a dish here in Texas (it might be found other places, too) served at greasy-spoons called SOS, or **** on a Shingle.  Simple, but good despite the unfortunate name.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:13:35 »
Isn't SOS some kind of beef gravy served on toast? If so, then I have had it. Pretty tasty. Especially with some hot sauce.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:15:54 »
Today is a good day to stay home and cook.

So much for sunny AZ.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:17:35 »
Quote from: bigpook;139733
Isn't SOS some kind of beef gravy served on toast? If so, then I have had it. Pretty tasty. Especially with some hot sauce.

That and some ground beef.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:18:59 »
Quote from: ripster;139732
That's standard military fare. Any kid who grew up on a AFB knows that one well.

We were too poor for such extravagant food.  I remember lots of soup, spaghetti, and pancakes.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:27:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;139739
We were too poor for such extravagant food.  I remember lots of soup, spaghetti, and pancakes.

for me it was chicken cutlet parmigan, pasta, pasta, and some more pasta. the meatballs were good though.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:31:02 »
Quote from: bigpook;139740
for me it was chicken cutlet parmigan, pasta, pasta, and some more pasta. the meatballs were good though.

It's amazing how many different, fairly cheap ways you can make good pasta.  That's all I ate for a long time.  I'm glad things are better these days.  Looking at the amount of pasta I eat these days, it doesn't really seem like much changes.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:34:44 »
Quote from: itlnstln;139715
All of that is in my recipe, too. Ground lamb as well.

Gonna share the recipe with us?

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:38:27 »
Quote from: itlnstln;139741
It's amazing how many different, fairly cheap ways you can make good pasta.  That's all I ate for a long time.  I'm glad things are better these days.  Looking at the amount of pasta I eat these days, it doesn't really seem like much changes.

It's because pasta is amazing. If it weren't for pasta, what would the cheapest food be?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:41:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;139741

I think pasta is to Italians like beans are to Mexicans, rice is to Chinese....

We still have pasta at least twice a week.  Last night it was with sauce and meatballs : )
Other times its garbanzo beans, basil, garlic and olive oil. Lots of parmesan cheese. I like diced jalapenos on top too.  Or pasta and rapini, broccoli..lots of red pepper and cheese.  Hmmm. Pasta.

this thread is getting me hungry.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:45:28 »
Quote from: bigpook;139749
I think pasta is to Italians like beans are to Mexicans, rice is to Chinese....

...beef is to Americans...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 10:50:42 »
Quote from: bitflipper;139743
Gonna share the recipe with us?

Sauce (From my mom, I use this for a bunch of recipes or just straight):

4-5 hot Italian sausages
1.5 lbs ground meat (you can make this part lamb or veal or whatever combination you want; I use only ground meat that’s 90% lean since there’s already a fair amount of fat in the sausage)
4/15 ounce cans plain tomato  sauce (be careful not to buy these new cans that say they already have oregano or basil, etc., already in them-they don’t taste good and I’d rather season the sauce myself)
5/6 ounce cans plain tomato paste (or get an equal amount in the bigger cans of tomato paste – I can’t stand opening all those cans)
2 Bay leaves

All of the following amounts are approximate – I don’t really measure, I just kind of put it in the palm of my hand until it looks right and then add it to the sauce.  Add herbs to suit your own taste, if you like it more garlicky – then by all means, add more garlic.  The finer you mince garlic the stronger the flavor.  I do like to use fresh herbs when I can, but dried herbs tend to hold up better for the long cooking time and I’ve never noticed any degradation in the flavor using dried vs. fresh herbs.

1-2 TBL chopped (or whole – doesn’t matter) rosemary
3-4 TBL minced fresh garlic
1-2 TBL dried oregano
1-2 TBL Italian seasoning (this is a bit redundant since it’s just a combination of all of the other herbs, but I’ve always used it - you can find this in the spice aisle)
1-2 TBL dried basil
1-2 TBL dried thyme
1-2 cups dry white or red wine – both work equally well in my opinion
1-2 cups water (try to get a fairly equal amount of water:wine)
Salt  to taste
Pepper to taste (or red pepper flakes – but use sparingly if you’re using hot sausages – I use regular pepper)

I start this process at about 5pm the day before I want to serve it.  Put the sauce and paste in the crock pot and whisk or stir them together and turn the crock pot on low; add herbs and garlic.  You might want to give it a little taste before you add salt/pepper just to see if it really needs it.  In a frying pan, fry up the ground meat, breaking it up as you go – add to the crock pot with the sauces.  In the same frying pan (don’t wash it, just carry on cooking), put in the Italian sausages and add tap water to come up to about 1/3 of the way up the side of the sausages; let them boil until all the water is gone.  Continue cooking the sausages so that they get a bit of browning on the outside.  You don’t need to cook them all the way done, you’re just looking for a little color on the outside; when you get to that point, cut each link into 4-5 pieces and let them fry a bit in the pan just a bit longer for color (you might want to prick the sausages at the beginning so that they don’t spit all over the place when you slice them); toss them in the crock pot with everything else.  You should have some fat and stuck on meat and sausage bits to the bottom frying pan – get rid of some of the grease (but certainly not all – Nana and Aunt Rose were sticklers that some of that sausage fat make it into the final sauce) – I tended to err on the side of getting rid of most of the fat, but here again – decide for yourself.  Put about ½ cup wine into the frying pan and cook scraping up the little brown bits the ground meat and sausage left behind as much as possible (but don’t drive yourself crazy getting every little bit).  Believe it or not, Nana/Aunt Rose were doing this step (scraping up the bits with wine) long before it got to be a popular instruction on modern cooking show.  Pour it all into the crock pot.  Give everything in the crock pot a good stir and assess how much water/wine it needs– you will be cooking this all night, so be a bit generous with your liquid at this point (mine literally comes up to the very top of the crock pot).  Keep the crock pot on low and keep it cooking;  put the lid on the crock pot, but set it slightly ajar (I just leave the spoon I stir it with tucked under the lid).  Give it a stir every 1-2 hours, then before Dad goes to bed (about 11:30-midnight) he stirs it one last time, takes the spoon out and clamps the lid on tight.  If it looks like it’s cooking too fast and needs liquid, try to keep wine:water somewhat equal (better to add a bit more water than wine).  For some reason, when I bought my current crock pot, it seems to cook a bit hotter than my old one, so when I get up in the morning (time doesn’t matter unless you plan on sleeping until noon) I look to see if it’s still liquid enough and add water if it seems a bit thick. My crock pot cooks at such a rapid boil (even on low) that it’s usually done at this point, so I take it out of the heating part and let it cool on the counter for about 1 hour and then put it into the fridge.  Heat it back up on high about 2-3  hours before you’re ready to eat just to make sure it gets good and hot (always assessing for whether it needs more liquid).  

And that’s the recipe. The only other thing that Grandpa, Nana, and Aunt Rose said is that onions are FORBIDDEN in this recipe – Sicilians from their part of the island don’t put onions in their sauce; it was a BIG faux pas to add onions to this recipe.  Before I was ordered to go to Nana and Aunt Rose to learn how to make proper spaghetti, Grandpa said my spaghetti was “Irish” spaghetti (we put in onion, bell pepper, no sausage, cooked it until the ground meat was done ate it right away…you get the idea).  But, you can play with the ingredients to tailor it to your taste - add more sausage if you like, or make meatballs instead of frying the ground meat – whatever you want, there’s no set way to do this (except for the onion thing).

Ricotta layer:

-32 Oz. Ricotta
-2 T. Basil, Chopped
-2 eggs

Combine all ingredients, and beat until smooth

Other ingredients:

-3 c. Mozzarella
-About 8 slices Provolone

Construction:

The sauce should be made the night before.  Preheat the oven to 350. Soak 12 lasagne noodles in hot tap water for 15-20 min (you don't want them quite cooked). During this time, I make the Ricotta layer.  In a lasgne pan/dish, put a layer of sauce, then 4-6 noodles.  Add a layer of ricotta and sprinkle about a cup of mozzarella on top.  Add another layer of sauce.  Add the another 4-6 noodles, ricotta, mozzarella and sauce.  Lastly, add a layer of Provolone on top, and use any remaining mozzarella
to "fill in the gaps."  Cover loosely with foil, and bake for 25 min.  Remove the foil, and bake for another 25 min.  Let it cool for about 15-20 min. (this would be a good time to make garlic bread), and enjoy.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 11:50:08 »
Wow, this sounds quite awesome! I always knew Mom was making it wrong. :smile:  

I like how onions are forbidden. My sauce is usually based on what I have on hand at the time. I love tomatoes, so I can omit just about everything else.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 11:52:52 »
Quote from: timw4mail;139745
It's because pasta is amazing. If it weren't for pasta, what would the cheapest food be?

True. I can, and often do, live off Pasta with pesto and grated in parmesan.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 19:58:57 »
I usually make a meatless sauce. I start by browning some garlic and onions :shocked: in some olive oil. I mince the garlic and cut dice the onion, once they are brown I throw in two cans of crushed tomato.

If I have it , I will throw in a bunch of fresh basil. Otherwise the dried basil will have to do. Let it simmer for a few hours. I think a sauce needs to cook for at least 4 hours before its ready, longer is better.

I don't normally use tomato paste, as I like the consistency that I get but sometimes I do want to thicken it up and either a half or full can of tomato paste will do the trick.

I don't normally like a marinara but sometimes will add water to make it more liquid. This is ok sometimes when I make a fish sauce. Most of the time I like my sauce a little thick.

If I have the time, I will cook the sauce the night before, giving it a chance to set in the fridge overnight. I think letting it set up overnight adds to the flavor.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 20:05:56 »
The lasagne looks delicious.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 21:14:53 »
Hey really cool thread. I mostly cook plain old southern food (Chicken and dumplings, fried pork chops ect..) always wanted to learn how to cook Italian food. I will have to try this out when I get the chance no change that I will try it this week :)
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline roaduck

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 23:00:50 »
I cooked for a  couple who came round unexpectedly on Saturday.

I've not really cooked for months because I've lived off tv dinners  as I was so busy working and I had to make something edible because the guy is an ex-chef from some of the big London hotels.

I don't do recipes, I don't weigh anything or measure and I don't time things - I just know when something is cooked and seasoned satisfactorily.

I had no time to go shopping for provisions so I just used whatever was in the cupboard.

What follows is my chilli con carne with knobs on.This is for 8 good adult portions done in a large (6 litres - 211 fluid ounces - 10.5 pints) pan/pressure cooker.

First I boiled 2lbs of lean steak mince with about 1/2 pint (10 fluid oz) of water in a covered pan on low gas for about 2 hours while I peeled my veg which was mostly fresh and some tinned stuff.

Next I drained the mince (ground beef) and put to one side while I fried (in extra virgin olive oil) 4 large onions that were medium chopped together with half a bulb of French garlic (about 6-8 cloves) until they were softened and just starting to go brown and caramalise ; about 25 minutes on a medium heat.

Then I put the mince and onions in the big pan together with 4 cans of chopped tomatoes and put in a bunch of chopped celery - about 6-8 sticks and 2 sliced leeks.

After the mixture came to the boil I reduced the heat to medium and cooked the celery, mince and leeks for a further 45 minutes then I added 3 diced deseeded sweet peppers (2 green and a red) and a pound (454 grams) of quartered mushrooms and cooked for another half an hour then I bunged in 6 cans of drained, rinsed kidney beans and seasoned with a good sprinkling of sea salt and loads of freshly ground black pepper and finished with a good sprinkling of celery salt and about 2 teaspoons of hot dried chillies.This got cooked for another 40 or so minutes then I added a big tube of tomato puree and put the lid on with the gas on low.I don't like reducing too much and try to get the liquid quantities right because then the water soluble vitamin C especially is more concentrated but if it is sloppy which I hate personally you can thicken with cornflour,buckwheat flour, Indian gram flour, arrowroot powder or a roux sauce.

I had to entertain my guests so I put my basmati rice on with twice the volume of boiling water and a dash of saffron in a big pan (till rice was al dente - about ten minutes) and put 3 big  peshwari (coconut) naan breads in the oven because they are so moist and tasty.

I like to combine cooking styles like this Italian/Mexican/Indian/English creation so my cooking style is unconventional and not found in any cookery books.

I hoped for the best and it was all eaten with accompanying mmmm noises - Thank God - haha!
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2009, 23:17:00 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 December 2009, 19:37:05 »
Anyone in the mood to fry their computer?

It'll work better than most other fried PC's!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 December 2009, 20:17:51 »
I have heard of a restaurant serving fried shoes but this is ridiculous.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 08:46:44 »
It's a pretty old computer anyways. Notice the big PCI (I forgot their name) slots on the motherboard.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 08:48:34 »
Those are ISA slots.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 08:54:39 »
I have an ISA TV-tuner card in one of my old computers. It still works too!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 08:55:22 »
I have always wanted to know what those were, now I can look on eBay for some ISA cards to soup up my old Pentium desktop.
tp thread is tp thread

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 08:56:49 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;140425
I have an ISA TV-tuner card in one of my old computers. It still works too!

That TV tuner you speak of was given to you by me.  I never was able to find drivers for it, that's why I just gave it to you.  Use it well.
tp thread is tp thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 08:57:14 »
I just have to get a monitor on that machine. But I found Windows 3.x drivers for it.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 08:57:58 »
Do you guys roommate in the same basement?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 09:00:44 »
No. We live in the same town though.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 09:20:50 »
He lives on the east side I live on the west side.  About 10min drive.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 09:27:55 »
Must be a small town.  Do you guys belong to rival gangs?

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 22:24:31 »
Quote from: roaduck;140008
I cooked for a  couple who came round unexpectedly on Saturday.

Where do you live? I'll be over unexpectedly...

I don't do recipes, I don't weigh anything or measure and I don't time things - I just know when something is cooked and seasoned satisfactorily.

I'll use a recipe the first 2 or 3 times I prepare something I haven't made before - especially if I have guest(s). And if I conjure up something new, I'll jot it down so I don't forget. Aside from that, I rely mostly on judgement & experience.

I had to entertain my guests so I put my basmati rice on with twice the volume of boiling water and a dash of saffron

Wow, I forgot how much I love saffron. You have excellent taste my good man.

Offline roaduck

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 00:23:38 »
Quote from: bitflipper;140796
Where do you live? I'll be over unexpectedly...

I live over the pond in Manchester in North West England.

I'll use a recipe the first 2 or 3 times I prepare something I haven't made before - especially if I have guest(s). And if I conjure up something new, I'll jot it down so I don't forget. Aside from that, I rely mostly on judgement & experience.

I don't do recipes because I hate deja-vu's and I just rustle somat up with whatever's in the cupboard at the time.

Wow, I forgot how much I love saffron. You have excellent taste my good man.

Thanks I adore saffron, all types of curry and all Indian food ; we have the Curry Mile near me - like Brick Lane in London only bigger, cheaper and better.Hundreds of restaurants on the main drag (Wilmslow Road).

http://www.rusholmecurry.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_Mile

http://www.restaurantsofmanchester.com/rusholme.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/manchester/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8081000/8081211.stm
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 08:19:29 »
OK, so my GF is second generation Ukrainian (the more observant folks may have gotten that from her tattoo). Last night, I thought I would do something special for her, and make a couple of Ukrainian dishes (this and this). Before I get into the details, a little aside...

Do you know why there aren't a whole lot of Eastern European and Russian restaurants? I'll tell you why: the food sucks. OK, that was a bit harsh. Let's just say it's very bland.

I was going through recipe after recipe trying find a couple of magical dishes that light up my GF's face. Everything was some kind of potato-base recipe, 500 different variations of borscht, or pierogies (now, I do like pierogies, but I was a little strapped for time). So I slave in the kitchen for about 2 hours cooking. When I was finished, I had two beautiful pork loins and a creamy barley soup. I set the table, carved the pork, plated the meal, and served my GF. She was absolutely delighted - mission accomplished... sort of. I sat down and took a bite of the pork; it was sarright. The soup - meh. I could have gotten about as much flavor by eating the paper the recipes were printed on. OK, it wasn't that bad, but it was very plain.

Now I don't want to dissuade anyone from expanding their pallettes and exploring other cultures, but I might suggest you just stick to the vodka, and enjoy some Greek food instead... I have a great flank steak, feta and kalamata olive pinwheel recipe I can share.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 13:59:31 »
If I want potatoes, I'll open a can of Chunky soup. Regardless of what type of soup, it's mostly potatoes. Bread is more exciting than potatoes. Potatoes are really just a filler for a meal. The potatoe also ruined the political career of one brilliant U.S. vice president.

Yes, please post flank steak recipe and whatever feta & kalamata olive pinwheel is. It sounds delicious. I'm tired of discussing keyboards.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 14:12:24 »
Quote from: itlnstln;141312

Now I don't want to dissuade anyone from expanding their pallettes and exploring other cultures, but I might suggest you just stick to the vodka, and enjoy some Greek food instead... I have a great flank steak, feta and kalamata olive pinwheel recipe I can share.

hey, break out the feta/kalamata olive recipe...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 14:14:17 »
Quote from: bitflipper;141415
The potatoe also ruined the political career of one brilliant U.S. vice president.

Dan Quayle? surely you jest. actually, wait. I just had an epiphany.

Palin/Quayle in 2012.

Now thats a ticket.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 14:35:33 »
I made this off the top of my head, so the portions are approximate. You may need to adjust as necessary for what you can get and the flavor you prefer. Feel free to experiment with fillings. This is more about the technique, per se, than the recipe itself.

-1 large flank steak pounded as flat as possible (size is more important than weight here, you'll see why later; my steak was about 1' square)

-16 oz. of crumbled feta

-A jar of kalamata olives

-1 Tbsp. Olive oil

-Spinach leaves (I just buy the stuff in a bag from the produce dept.; it's just as fresh, and I am too lazy to pull apart the leaves)

-Several skewers

In a food processor, put in the feta, olives, olive oil and spinach. Use proportions you like, but keep the olive oil to about 1 Tbsp. Pulse until combined. You want everything well-chopped and mixed, but you do not want to make a paste out of it; save that for the hummus (another recipe). It should be crumbly like a slightly finer version of the feta you started with. Set aside.

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Pound your flank steak with mallet, and try to get it to an even thickness. I would also suggest a long flank steak as you will need to roll it up later, and you want it to roll over on itself several times. If you want, trim your steak so that you have a rectangle; you are going to have to deal with uneven edges at some point, and this would be a good time, IMO. Spread the filling onto the meat, leaving about 1.5-2" on either edge for some "squeeze-factor." Keep the filling layer thin to promote easy rolling. That, and the filling has a strong flavor that could over-power the meat if it's too thick. It should look something like this (with meat, though, but you get the idea):

Once the filling has been spread, roll the steak along the longer dimension and set the "log" on the seam so it doesn't unroll. With one of the skewers, impale the log about 1/2" to 3/4" from one of the edges. This will be the midpoint of one of the pinwheels. Try to angle skewer so that after you cut, the skewer will go through the other side near the edge of the meat. Now, cut the log to create the pinwheel (a sharp knife is a must here so you don't squeeze out the filling), and finish pushing the skewer through to compete the meat "lollipop" (no jokes, please):

Rinse and repeat. When you have finished making your meat-pops, put them in the oven. This is the tricky part. Depending on how thick the meat was, how thick you cut the pinwheels, etc., cooking time will vary. I would start with about 10 min. After 10 min. check them every 2-3 min. as they cook quickly. When they finish, let cool and enjoy.

It took me a couple of times to perfect this, because it's a little difficult to get the layers the correct thickness, a tight enough roll, cooking time, etc. I would make a two batches. Cut the meat in half length-wise, and make one set of pinwheels as a trial run. Once you get the idea, do it again with the other half of the meat, and serve that to your boy/girlfriend. He/She will be very impressed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2009, 14:37:48 by itlnstln »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 15:05:26 »
You need to have a long talk with your son. I have a meatloaf recipe that kills (I don't remember it off the top of my head, though). I also have a Mexican-style Tilapia that I created that's pretty good, too, if he'll eat that.

My GF and I are going out tonight, though (here or here). We are celebrating Xmas (and my birthday) early. I got here a pearl necklace (not this one, you sick ****s) and a matching bracelet and earrings. We're going to Chicago for Xmas with her parents, so we're doing our own stuff early.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 15:13:09 »
Quote from: bigpook;141424
Dan Quayle? surely you jest. actually, wait. I just had an epiphany.

Palin/Quayle in 2012.

Now thats a ticket.

I expected at least a ROFL. Notice how I spelled potato with an e? He's comparatively brilliant.  I would vote for Ahmadinijad/Putin before I would vote for Palin/Quayle. ;-)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 15:18:21 »
Quote from: ripster;141460
Well, Preliminary Happy Birthday!

Thanks.  Fortunately, her parents are pretty cool.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 15:28:56 »
There is still a little more time before that happens.  Notice I didn't get the matching ring.  I wouldn't get a pearl ring for a proposal, anyway, but you have to be careful with mixed messages.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 15:45:05 »
Can I barf now?

I kinda feel like Steve Martin, just not quite his age.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:17:16 »
Quote from: ripster;141434
You troll you.   Buy that HHKB2 yet?

sorry, didn't mean to troll. honest. I'll stop.

I am still on the fence with the HHKB; the HHKB is a keeper. I should have kept what I had. Especially since I only had one of them.
You and webwit had me smiling last night though.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:20:59 »
Quote from: bitflipper;141458
I expected at least a ROFL. Notice how I spelled potato with an e? He's comparatively brilliant.  I would vote for Ahmadinijad/Putin before I would vote for Palin/Quayle. ;-)

: ) this is a no troll zone.......

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:21:20 »
Quote from: bigpook;141518
I am still on the fence with the HHKB; the HHKB is a keeper.

My brain imploded.  Talk about mixed massages, I mean, messages.

Massages are later...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 19:53:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;141522
My brain imploded.  Talk about mixed massages, I mean, messages.

Massages are later...

sorry, wasn't being clear. I had an HHKB but sold it, now regretting it as the HHKB is a keeper. Am playing with the idea of getting another one. That oneness with rubber cup goodness thing strikes a chord for me.

Even though I can for the most part emulate the layout, the small size and quality build along with the 'thock,thock' of the keys make it a special keyboard. for me anyways. I still think it is stupid expensive though.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 00:03:14 »
When I clicked this, I was hoping it was a key dying thread :(

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 02:03:41 »
I have keys that are dying and some that are dyeing.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 10:55:17 »
I think this is still the cooking thread. Just thought I would share. Every year I make this on christmas eve. Its pretty simple to make too.

This year will be a little less since its just me and the wife.

I use two cans of crushed tomatoes, garlic, basil and scungilli.

brown the garlic(I use quite a bit, but I really like garlic) in olive oil. once it browns, dump in the crushed tomatoes. I use a tall pot, and a very low heat as I want it to cook for hours( all day actually). throw in the basil. stir every now and then.

I started the sauce this morning at 8 and will let it cook slow for the rest of the day.
I have to add water as it will start to thicken up. I need to time it right, as I want it thick just before serving. About 10 minutes before serving I add the scungilli and a small can of diced clams. I drain off most of the liquid but not all as there is a lot of flavor there. This liquid will lighten up the sauce. Some years I keep it thick, you can eat it with a fork. Some years I like it more marinara like. This year I am leaning towards thick.

I like mine with lots of parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper. A nice light red wine and small salad and some crusty bread.

forgot to mention the actual pasta. mostly I go with angel hair as thats how my mother-in-law made it. but I like to use fettucini pasta or the cork screw kind also. tonight I am using the cork screw kind as the thick sauce tends to stick to it.

happy holidays and good eats to all : )
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2009, 10:58:49 by bigpook »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 07:41:15 »
Damn, that sounds good, pook. I might make it this weekend for the College Football championship game.  I need to see if I can get scungilli around here.

Go, UT!!!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 12:07:10 »
What is that?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 13:33:09 »
Yep.  They're OK (ostrich burgers).  It's kinda like ground turkey made from the dark meat.  I wouldn't get too excited about them, though.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 16:46:08 »
Quote from: ripster;145911
I had to look up scungilli.

Gross.
Show Image

not sure if the pic is gross or any worse then the way they look in the can.
thankfully, they are covered in sauce by the time you get to eating them and while it may be hard to believe, they are quite delicious.

they are expensive though, a large can is around 18 dollars here in Florida.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 19 February 2010, 12:05:41 »
It's been awhile since I, the Galloping Gourmet (get it? ItlnStln, Galloping Gourmet? Nevermind...), have given YOU a tasty treat. Today's episode: Texas Hummus.

You will need:

• 1 19oz. can Chick Peas, drained (Garbanzo Beans) - reserve 1/4 c. of liquid
  • 2 Tbl. Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbl. Tahini (you can eliminate this, but it's much better with it. You can also substitute natural peanut butter - not Jif or Peter Pan, but it's not quite the same)
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 4oz. can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic
  • Fresh ground pepper and Kosher salt to taste
In your mom's food processor (or blender, but the processor is better), dump in all of the above ingredients, except the chipotle peppers, including the chick pea liquid you reserved. Add chipotle peppers to taste. I use three or four depending on size, but I like it hot, so if you can't take the heat, get the Hell out of my kitchen. Remove any remaining peppers from the can (store in the refrigerator appropriately), and add all of the residual adobo sauce. This is important as this is where a lot of flavor comes from. Once all ingredients are in the food processor, turn that ***** on high and grind smooth. When it's at a consistency to your liking, dump the hummus into a serving bowl and serve to your mom... err... party guest with tortilla chips. The important thing here is all of the quantities for the ingredients are negotiable. If you like tahini, add a little more. If you want more heat, add another pepper. You get the idea. The one thing you do want to watch is the amount of liquid to solid. Too much lime juice, for example, will make it too runny/"watery." Also, the texture is negotiable. Some people like it a little chunkier while others prefer a smooter consisitency; it's up to you. That said, you probably aren't going to get it "perfect" the first time, you might need to make it a few times to get the flavor the way you want it. Hummus is very good for you, and it's high in protien. You know, just in case you're watching your weight or working out or something.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 February 2010, 18:33:11 »
that sounds tasty, I need to try that.

Offline itlnstln

New Food!
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 08:06:10 »
Here is something I came up with off the top of the dome while I was in the store yesterday.  I call it "Tilapia with a Rosemary Basil White Wine Cream Sauce" or "The ****" for short.

What you will need:

4 Tilapia filets
1/2 c. each fresh rosemary and finely chopped basil
1 c. chopped tomatoes and onion (for garnish)
1/4 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 c. dry, white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
6 Rashers (slices) of thick cut, peppered bacon
2 c. heavy cream
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 box of your favorite profilactics ('cause you're getting laid tonight!)

How we put it all together:

First get your "mes en plas" (prep everything before you start); things happen quickly, so you don't want to be behind the 8-ball.  Preheat the oven to 350 deg., Chop the tomatoes and onion, chop the basil, strip the rosemary, chop the bacon into 1/2" pieces, and squeeze your lemon juice; set all that aside.  Place the tilapia filets in a lubed, 9" x 13" baking dish/pan. Heat a pan over medium heat (cast iron is preferred, but you can use whatever you like; I would not use a Teflon-coated pan for reasons you see in a little bit).  When the oven has preheated and the pan is hot, put the tilapia in the oven for 20 min. and put the bacon pieces in the pan with the garlic.  Cook bacon until crisp, remove bacon from the pan and drain the grease.  Return the empty pan to the burner to reheat and turn set it to high heat.  When the pan heats back up, put in the wine to deglaze the pan scraping all the crunchy bits off the bottom.  When the pan is "clean," put the bacon back in with the rosemary, basil, and lemon juice, and let cook for a couple of minutes.  When the liquid has reduced somewhat, add the heavy cream and heat to a boil stirring constantly; you may also add a little fresh ground pepper here.  When the cream starts boilng reduce the heat to medium and let simmer until thick; about 7-10 minutes during which time, the tilapia should be finishing up.  Plate the tilapia, cover with sauce, and garnish with the tomatoes and onion.  Enjoy!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 09:47:17 »
Rasher is the technical term for a slice of bacon.  So, yes, I'm just going all Frenchie on you.  It's not really the bacon, per se, that adds the flavor to the sauce, it's deglazing the pan.  That's why I don't recommend a Teflon pan for this recipe since there won't be anything to deglaze.  A regular pan should work fine; I just really like cast iron.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 10:44:13 »
Quote from: ripster;161963
I like the All Clad stainless.   It's likely that if ate at 5 star Michelin restaurant your food was cooked on cheap aluminum - thereby giving you early Alzheimer's or at least you'll start talking like Julia Child.

I'm pretty cheap so while I likely won't end up with much All Clad, I did recently splurge on an All Clad 12 inch frying pan w/ lid.  The lid is from China but the pan is USA.  Cooked some beef stroganoff in it recently and turned out nicely.  All of a sudden I'm feeling hungry, :wink:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 10:46:51 »
My mom has all Le Creuset.  I might do the same if I ever hit the Lotto.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 10:53:28 »
Quote from: itlnstln;161968
My mom has all Le Creuset.  I might do the same if I ever hit the Lotto.

That's exactly what I was thinking, that I'd have to win a lottery to get any significant quantity of branks like Le Creuset or All Clad.  I looked at a Le Creuset dutch oven but ended up with the Tramontina.  Maybe not as good but pretty damn close and SOOO much cheaper.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 11:08:25 »
I have a small LC dutch oven and I also have a large Lodge one as well.  I want to make some Boston baked beans with it.  The only real difference between the Lodge and the LC stuff is the coating, thus cleaning the LC is easier.  For now, I am just going to stock up on the Lodge, and one day, when you see me on the Food Network, I'll have my LC and All Clad.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 08 March 2010, 17:58:47 »
Quote from: ripster;161963
I like the All Clad stainless.   It's likely that if ate at 5 star Michelin restaurant your food was cooked on cheap aluminum - thereby giving you early Alzheimer's or at least you'll start talking like Julia Child.

Teflon and aluminum are both bad (cancer and brain deterioration galore). Especially hydrogenated stuff (skippy peanut butter anyone?) That's why it's better to buy adam's peanut butter.

Yep, I'm one of those "ingredients" people (I read every single ingredient, and know each one by heart from azo dyes to hexametaphosphate). Although, if there's some bad things once in awhile, it doesn't matter. Although, natural things always taste so much better.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT