Author Topic: Did Some Cooking This Weekend  (Read 14321 times)

Offline bigpook

Did Some Cooking This Weekend
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:17:16 »
Quote from: ripster;141434
You troll you.   Buy that HHKB2 yet?

sorry, didn't mean to troll. honest. I'll stop.

I am still on the fence with the HHKB; the HHKB is a keeper. I should have kept what I had. Especially since I only had one of them.
You and webwit had me smiling last night though.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:20:59 »
Quote from: bitflipper;141458
I expected at least a ROFL. Notice how I spelled potato with an e? He's comparatively brilliant.  I would vote for Ahmadinijad/Putin before I would vote for Palin/Quayle. ;-)

: ) this is a no troll zone.......

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 16:21:20 »
Quote from: bigpook;141518
I am still on the fence with the HHKB; the HHKB is a keeper.

My brain imploded.  Talk about mixed massages, I mean, messages.

Massages are later...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 19:53:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;141522
My brain imploded.  Talk about mixed massages, I mean, messages.

Massages are later...

sorry, wasn't being clear. I had an HHKB but sold it, now regretting it as the HHKB is a keeper. Am playing with the idea of getting another one. That oneness with rubber cup goodness thing strikes a chord for me.

Even though I can for the most part emulate the layout, the small size and quality build along with the 'thock,thock' of the keys make it a special keyboard. for me anyways. I still think it is stupid expensive though.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 00:03:14 »
When I clicked this, I was hoping it was a key dying thread :(

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 02:03:41 »
I have keys that are dying and some that are dyeing.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 24 December 2009, 10:55:17 »
I think this is still the cooking thread. Just thought I would share. Every year I make this on christmas eve. Its pretty simple to make too.

This year will be a little less since its just me and the wife.

I use two cans of crushed tomatoes, garlic, basil and scungilli.

brown the garlic(I use quite a bit, but I really like garlic) in olive oil. once it browns, dump in the crushed tomatoes. I use a tall pot, and a very low heat as I want it to cook for hours( all day actually). throw in the basil. stir every now and then.

I started the sauce this morning at 8 and will let it cook slow for the rest of the day.
I have to add water as it will start to thicken up. I need to time it right, as I want it thick just before serving. About 10 minutes before serving I add the scungilli and a small can of diced clams. I drain off most of the liquid but not all as there is a lot of flavor there. This liquid will lighten up the sauce. Some years I keep it thick, you can eat it with a fork. Some years I like it more marinara like. This year I am leaning towards thick.

I like mine with lots of parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper. A nice light red wine and small salad and some crusty bread.

forgot to mention the actual pasta. mostly I go with angel hair as thats how my mother-in-law made it. but I like to use fettucini pasta or the cork screw kind also. tonight I am using the cork screw kind as the thick sauce tends to stick to it.

happy holidays and good eats to all : )
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2009, 10:58:49 by bigpook »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 07:41:15 »
Damn, that sounds good, pook. I might make it this weekend for the College Football championship game.  I need to see if I can get scungilli around here.

Go, UT!!!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 12:07:10 »
What is that?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 13:33:09 »
Yep.  They're OK (ostrich burgers).  It's kinda like ground turkey made from the dark meat.  I wouldn't get too excited about them, though.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 28 December 2009, 16:46:08 »
Quote from: ripster;145911
I had to look up scungilli.

Gross.
Show Image

not sure if the pic is gross or any worse then the way they look in the can.
thankfully, they are covered in sauce by the time you get to eating them and while it may be hard to believe, they are quite delicious.

they are expensive though, a large can is around 18 dollars here in Florida.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 19 February 2010, 12:05:41 »
It's been awhile since I, the Galloping Gourmet (get it? ItlnStln, Galloping Gourmet? Nevermind...), have given YOU a tasty treat. Today's episode: Texas Hummus.

You will need:

• 1 19oz. can Chick Peas, drained (Garbanzo Beans) - reserve 1/4 c. of liquid
  • 2 Tbl. Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbl. Tahini (you can eliminate this, but it's much better with it. You can also substitute natural peanut butter - not Jif or Peter Pan, but it's not quite the same)
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 4oz. can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic
  • Fresh ground pepper and Kosher salt to taste
In your mom's food processor (or blender, but the processor is better), dump in all of the above ingredients, except the chipotle peppers, including the chick pea liquid you reserved. Add chipotle peppers to taste. I use three or four depending on size, but I like it hot, so if you can't take the heat, get the Hell out of my kitchen. Remove any remaining peppers from the can (store in the refrigerator appropriately), and add all of the residual adobo sauce. This is important as this is where a lot of flavor comes from. Once all ingredients are in the food processor, turn that ***** on high and grind smooth. When it's at a consistency to your liking, dump the hummus into a serving bowl and serve to your mom... err... party guest with tortilla chips. The important thing here is all of the quantities for the ingredients are negotiable. If you like tahini, add a little more. If you want more heat, add another pepper. You get the idea. The one thing you do want to watch is the amount of liquid to solid. Too much lime juice, for example, will make it too runny/"watery." Also, the texture is negotiable. Some people like it a little chunkier while others prefer a smooter consisitency; it's up to you. That said, you probably aren't going to get it "perfect" the first time, you might need to make it a few times to get the flavor the way you want it. Hummus is very good for you, and it's high in protien. You know, just in case you're watching your weight or working out or something.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 February 2010, 18:33:11 »
that sounds tasty, I need to try that.

Offline itlnstln

New Food!
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 08:06:10 »
Here is something I came up with off the top of the dome while I was in the store yesterday.  I call it "Tilapia with a Rosemary Basil White Wine Cream Sauce" or "The ****" for short.

What you will need:

4 Tilapia filets
1/2 c. each fresh rosemary and finely chopped basil
1 c. chopped tomatoes and onion (for garnish)
1/4 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 c. dry, white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
6 Rashers (slices) of thick cut, peppered bacon
2 c. heavy cream
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 box of your favorite profilactics ('cause you're getting laid tonight!)

How we put it all together:

First get your "mes en plas" (prep everything before you start); things happen quickly, so you don't want to be behind the 8-ball.  Preheat the oven to 350 deg., Chop the tomatoes and onion, chop the basil, strip the rosemary, chop the bacon into 1/2" pieces, and squeeze your lemon juice; set all that aside.  Place the tilapia filets in a lubed, 9" x 13" baking dish/pan. Heat a pan over medium heat (cast iron is preferred, but you can use whatever you like; I would not use a Teflon-coated pan for reasons you see in a little bit).  When the oven has preheated and the pan is hot, put the tilapia in the oven for 20 min. and put the bacon pieces in the pan with the garlic.  Cook bacon until crisp, remove bacon from the pan and drain the grease.  Return the empty pan to the burner to reheat and turn set it to high heat.  When the pan heats back up, put in the wine to deglaze the pan scraping all the crunchy bits off the bottom.  When the pan is "clean," put the bacon back in with the rosemary, basil, and lemon juice, and let cook for a couple of minutes.  When the liquid has reduced somewhat, add the heavy cream and heat to a boil stirring constantly; you may also add a little fresh ground pepper here.  When the cream starts boilng reduce the heat to medium and let simmer until thick; about 7-10 minutes during which time, the tilapia should be finishing up.  Plate the tilapia, cover with sauce, and garnish with the tomatoes and onion.  Enjoy!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 09:47:17 »
Rasher is the technical term for a slice of bacon.  So, yes, I'm just going all Frenchie on you.  It's not really the bacon, per se, that adds the flavor to the sauce, it's deglazing the pan.  That's why I don't recommend a Teflon pan for this recipe since there won't be anything to deglaze.  A regular pan should work fine; I just really like cast iron.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 10:44:13 »
Quote from: ripster;161963
I like the All Clad stainless.   It's likely that if ate at 5 star Michelin restaurant your food was cooked on cheap aluminum - thereby giving you early Alzheimer's or at least you'll start talking like Julia Child.

I'm pretty cheap so while I likely won't end up with much All Clad, I did recently splurge on an All Clad 12 inch frying pan w/ lid.  The lid is from China but the pan is USA.  Cooked some beef stroganoff in it recently and turned out nicely.  All of a sudden I'm feeling hungry, :wink:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 10:46:51 »
My mom has all Le Creuset.  I might do the same if I ever hit the Lotto.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 10:53:28 »
Quote from: itlnstln;161968
My mom has all Le Creuset.  I might do the same if I ever hit the Lotto.

That's exactly what I was thinking, that I'd have to win a lottery to get any significant quantity of branks like Le Creuset or All Clad.  I looked at a Le Creuset dutch oven but ended up with the Tramontina.  Maybe not as good but pretty damn close and SOOO much cheaper.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 05 March 2010, 11:08:25 »
I have a small LC dutch oven and I also have a large Lodge one as well.  I want to make some Boston baked beans with it.  The only real difference between the Lodge and the LC stuff is the coating, thus cleaning the LC is easier.  For now, I am just going to stock up on the Lodge, and one day, when you see me on the Food Network, I'll have my LC and All Clad.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 08 March 2010, 17:58:47 »
Quote from: ripster;161963
I like the All Clad stainless.   It's likely that if ate at 5 star Michelin restaurant your food was cooked on cheap aluminum - thereby giving you early Alzheimer's or at least you'll start talking like Julia Child.

Teflon and aluminum are both bad (cancer and brain deterioration galore). Especially hydrogenated stuff (skippy peanut butter anyone?) That's why it's better to buy adam's peanut butter.

Yep, I'm one of those "ingredients" people (I read every single ingredient, and know each one by heart from azo dyes to hexametaphosphate). Although, if there's some bad things once in awhile, it doesn't matter. Although, natural things always taste so much better.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT