Author Topic: Plastic Yellowing Still a Problem  (Read 5445 times)

Offline itlnstln

Plastic Yellowing Still a Problem
« on: Thu, 14 January 2010, 08:58:12 »
It seems like even after all the understanding of causes, research and development used to make plastic that no longer yellows over time, it seems that it's still occurring.  Ironically (or appropriately), it's happening to one of the original gross offenders, Apple.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 January 2010, 10:14:56 »
For all the problems these machines seem to have, according to the comments the "yellowing" is not plastic but screen backlight related.

Anyway, there is absolutely no reason why yellowing shouldn't be occurring. Maybe not the purely oxygen-related variety, but you can still expect some when UV radiation is in play.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 January 2010, 10:18:29 »
Yeah, I just thought I would take a jab at them.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 January 2010, 12:23:53 »
Quote from: itlnstln;150830
Yeah, I just thought I would take a jab at them.

Why, because it's the "cool" thing to do?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 07:46:45 »
Why not? You take jabs at Internet Explorer, because it's the cool thing to do.

That said, I'm an equal opportunity jabber.

Rule no. 1 of ItlnStln's posts:  don't take them seriously.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 09:52:03 »
Quote from: itlnstln;151979
Why not? You take jabs at Internet Explorer, because it's the cool thing to do.

I think maybe it was more the fact that the jab seemed disconnected. Linking together two incidents that share the word "yellow" was confusing at best.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 09:55:22 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 11:12:07 »
I don't take sides, either.  It was just a little funny that offended some folks.  Oops.

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 22:08:36 »
Actually, the original Mac was pretty yellow to begin with. They didn't change to Platinum until a few years later. Beige was in when the Mac first camp out, and Apple beige was browner/yellower than the rest of the PC world. It's the space bar that looks really bad on Ripster's board.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 22:40:25 »
And to make things balanced even Topre has issues with yellowing keyboards:

I'm going to have to go read up on how to remove the yellowing so I can fix this board or either swap the case on it maybe stick it in my black HE0100 case.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline msiegel

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 23:12:37 »
Quote from: rdjack21;152238
I'm going to have to go read up on how to remove the yellowing

yellow or not, that is a neat keyboard :D

if you do retrobright i'd love to hear about it :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 January 2010, 13:00:23 »

Apple's old keyboards that came on their eMac's are very prone to yellowing. Leave one of those things out in the sun for just a few days and it'll look like a thousand dogs pissed on it.

Many people didn't like that aspect of their keyboards, so Crapple went and changed it and made their new crappy "Sleek" model. However, some people liked that "sunny" yellow color, so that was taken into consideration as well.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 January 2010, 13:08:04 »
Quote from: ripster;152350
Unfortunate the Matias TP3 kept with that old design.

I think they're trying to market it to those that prefer the old design, anyway.  It's a nice-looking keyboard, though.  I like it better than the TP 2.

Offline elservo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 January 2010, 14:19:03 »
Any reason why the new Matias TP keyboards are so damned expensive?  They're using Alps, right?
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 January 2010, 14:37:02 »
Quote from: elservo;152371
Any reason why the new Matias TP keyboards are so damned expensive? They're using Alps, right?

They're just a boutique keyboard marketed to Mac users.  They do use ALPS (compatible) switches.  They are trying to capture the old-school Mac users that used the AEKII back in the day.  I think the nostalgia factor and some of the bells and whistles contribute to the price.  I also think it's programmable to a certain extent, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 January 2010, 16:04:00 »
If the TP3 is any good, it's not necessarily any more expensive than other high end keyboards. It's also not even the most expensive keyboard they make... not by far.

Wanna try $595 for a rubber dome board?
http://matias.ca/halfkeyboard/index.php

They seem to have two niches... Apple tie-in products and special needs products.

So far as rubber domes go, I'm rather fond of the Matias Optimizer board:
http://www.matias.ca/optimizer/index.php

I was considering the TP3 until they took out the Optimizer macros from it... but then again the Optimizer macros may have been part of the problem with the TP2. The hardware based shortcuts led to really serious ghosting problems.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 January 2010, 16:08:00 »
Quote from: itlnstln;152351
I think they're trying to market it to those that prefer the old design, anyway.  It's a nice-looking keyboard, though.  I like it better than the TP 2.

It might also just be less risky to fix a product they screwed up the last time around. If they redesign it from the ground up, it also poses the possibility of introducing new bugs. The TP2 had a lot of issues.
-

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 03:21:16 »
Quote from: ripster;152350
Unfortunate the Matias TP3 kept with that old design.

Show Image

I doubt it will ever be a classic like the IBM Model M.

Actually it echoes the rounded clear/white design just previous to the minimalist blocky clear/white one MS Windows showed.

The latter one was really, really poorly conceived (if you ever see one in person you'll know what I mean), whereas the one previous that shipped with the G4 iMacs and Power Macs of the time was merely flawed, being rubber domed and that silly clear plastic that shows everything that drifts down in there (was a bit better when it was clear/black/silver as originally shipped).

And let's not even talk about the yellowing on those particular boards!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2010, 03:31:08 by ak_nala »
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline elservo

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 January 2010, 13:41:01 »
I mean I'm glad that there is still a community of Mac users out there that knows what a real keyboard is, but the price point makes it a bit hard to make any kind of dent in the user base.  Pretty soon Mac keyboards will just be holograms, and Tom Cruise will be arresting us for crimes we haven't committed yet, and then what do we do?
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 07:33:34 »
Quote from: elservo;153256
Pretty soon Mac keyboards will just be holograms, and Tom Cruise will be arresting us for crimes we haven't committed yet, and then what do we do?

Beat their asses with Model Ms.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 08:25:28 »
See Shift key on the small board... Shift Shift Shift!!!

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline sethstorm

...and it's not just Apple ones.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 17:18:57 »

Unless the thing was stored badly, this Sun Type 6 has developed a very unnatural shade of yellow on its keys. My Type 5's arent that bad, which makes it a bit surprising.

No, I don't believe Sun ever sold these in "faded yellow".
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 18:01:50 »
That one is exceptional. I went through a pallet of old keyboards Tuesday that had 5-10 Sun keyboards of that appearance, save the keys/mice were still whitish, with no yellowing.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 19:05:23 »
Quote from: ricercar;154449
That one is exceptional. I went through a pallet of old keyboards Tuesday that had 5-10 Sun keyboards of that appearance, save the keys/mice were still whitish, with no yellowing.

Bought it a year or two ago from Hamvention as a cheapish rubber dome keyboard.  It's worse than what the flash hides.

Question is, I'd wonder if you could fit one of those in a Type 5 case (as I already have a good Fujitsu[Sun Type 5, not Peerless] donor).
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.