Author Topic: Retro's Hand-crafted Keycaps Adventure!  (Read 62857 times)

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
Re: Retro's Hand-crafted Keycaps Adventure!
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:47:01 »
I love the red and purple ones.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:03:11 »
The caps are looking good! Nice progress :)

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 13:43:57 »
more color testing. i dig rainbows :)

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 18:32:56 »
Loving the goblin + rainbows! So cute.. and almost delicious?! :P

One day I'll find the time and resources to do this...

Do you think one has to have some relative artistic ability to be able to sculpt something? I don't have drawing or sketching or any artistic (though I have dabbled in graphic design but that is kinda different) skills that I can draw upon (pun not intended haha).

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 21:41:44 »
Good news: got a decent cast of goblin Goyle.
Bad news: ruined my bottom mold, again. Because the pesky stem part stuck to the resin when trying to extract it. Okay, who has tips for this? Should I do some sort of modification? It's so annoying having to recast that stem part of the mold...  :mad:

Here's some pics:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I see a lot of bubbles - but not too bad for something done sans pressure. I'll probably start focusing on getting the proper set up before doing more casts. Also, stay tuned for goblin v2!  :eek:

I'm envious.

The top part looks pretty solid. There may be some air bubbles at the bottom but you pretty much got the base worked out. Have you tried using heat with your resins to lift the bubbles?

Sorry for the noob question since i really am one in this area  :(

Thanks! No I haven't tried using heat - what method would you suggest to get rid of the bubbles? Something like an oven?

For the stem, it would help a lot I think if you use a releasing agent on the stems so it won't stick to the resin since that part is small and tricky. Might want to give it a try. (you can apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly just on the stem)

For the heat, when I watched the tutorials in youtube of resin charms, using a lighter near the resin actually raises the bubbles upward and pops them (or you can pop it using a toothpick). As far as I know resin isn't really flammable so holding it close should be okay. Just make sure not to burn your mold though.

I hope it helps!
Please do not take this advice.  Resin is not combustible but it gasses at relatively low temperature.  The fumes will do irreparable damage to lung tissue...
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 10:39:25 »
Good news: got a decent cast of goblin Goyle.
Bad news: ruined my bottom mold, again. Because the pesky stem part stuck to the resin when trying to extract it. Okay, who has tips for this? Should I do some sort of modification? It's so annoying having to recast that stem part of the mold...  :mad:

Here's some pics:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I see a lot of bubbles - but not too bad for something done sans pressure. I'll probably start focusing on getting the proper set up before doing more casts. Also, stay tuned for goblin v2!  :eek:

I'm envious.

The top part looks pretty solid. There may be some air bubbles at the bottom but you pretty much got the base worked out. Have you tried using heat with your resins to lift the bubbles?

Sorry for the noob question since i really am one in this area  :(

Thanks! No I haven't tried using heat - what method would you suggest to get rid of the bubbles? Something like an oven?

For the stem, it would help a lot I think if you use a releasing agent on the stems so it won't stick to the resin since that part is small and tricky. Might want to give it a try. (you can apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly just on the stem)

For the heat, when I watched the tutorials in youtube of resin charms, using a lighter near the resin actually raises the bubbles upward and pops them (or you can pop it using a toothpick). As far as I know resin isn't really flammable so holding it close should be okay. Just make sure not to burn your mold though.

I hope it helps!
Please do not take this advice.  Resin is not combustible but it gasses at relatively low temperature.  The fumes will do irreparable damage to lung tissue...

QFT
Respirator is never a bad idea

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 23:40:37 »
Thank you to everyone who's commented on this thread, wow, I went away for a bit and yay for all the good juju and advice being shared for everyone's benefit!

Thanks Anson and RP for your support. And thanks tinymakesthings for your kind words. To answer your question, I think artistic ability certainly helps, however it's not a prerequisite for making keycaps. I just say if you want to give it a shot to go for it! There's a lot of other techniques to master besides keycap sculpting, and that's half the battle. Just know that it's pretty fun and you can always hone/develop your artistic abilities as you go along.

And big thanks to Binge and Doom for the advice on respirators and not heating resin haphazardly! I was so excited to see you commenting in my thread Binge - your keycaps and designs are a HUGE inspriation.

I got some apoxie sculpt and am really excited with how well it retains tiny details. I'm going to updating my goblin design as well as working on another bonus design.

I've also been building my pressure pot system. So far I have a used Binks pain pressure pot that I'll be cleaning up and converting. I replaced the safety valve and gasket, now I'm just waiting on the lid gasket replacement part to come in before I can start hooking things up.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 20:27:39 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 04:45:20 »
Nice F row rainbow, you're added to the list!

Looking forward to seeing some bubble free Goblin Goyle's soon :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 08:46:11 »
Really liking the look of these caps, especially the little goblin one. The roughness of the sculpting as opposed to like the exactness of HKPs actually is quite appealing to the eye.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 16:20:40 »
Edit: thanks suicidal orange and trenza for your kind words! I'm glad you like them. Definitely going for the hand-sculpted feel as opposed to the clear cut 'robot' look.

I jammed on a keycap idea I had, didn't turn out quite as I expected, however I turned my lemons into lemonade and am really excited to present to you...

SHARPEI BÉRET!
110902-0

Having a lot of fun with apoxie sculpt. Its now curing and then I can test fitment. *crosses fingers*. I'll go ahead and update the OP as well.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2015, 16:27:57 by retrochick »

Offline joey

Re: [Update 9-13-15 New Kecayp Design!]Retro's Hand-crafted Keycaps Adventure!
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 16:25:29 »
Binge's Lion Keyng has a french brother :O

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 16:29:13 »
Ha! The noble lion will probably tower over my sharpei doggie with a beret cap.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 11:45:04 »
Edit: thanks suicidal orange and trenza for your kind words! I'm glad you like them. Definitely going for the hand-sculpted feel as opposed to the clear cut 'robot' look.

I jammed on a keycap idea I had, didn't turn out quite as I expected, however I turned my lemons into lemonade and am really excited to present to you...

SHARPEI BÉRET!
(Attachment Link)

Having a lot of fun with apoxie sculpt. Its now curing and then I can test fitment. *crosses fingers*. I'll go ahead and update the OP as well.  :cool:

Wow, that's really taking it to another level!

Would you care to share the inspiration behind such a random design? :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 23:32:38 »

SHARPEI BÉRET!
(Attachment Link)

Wow, that's really taking it to another level!

Would you care to share the inspiration behind such a random design? :)

I started out with the intention of sculpting a rat (part of my zodiac keycap series). Alas I couldn't quite get the perspective right (but I will soon revisit this) so I decided to go with what I already had (the apoxie was drying fast) and to me it looked like a sharpei/chow mix of some sort. I thought it would be cute if he had a beret, so I put a hat on him. I think I really like incorporating anthropomorphism in my keycaps and will continue to do so in my future work and designs  :thumb:.

Also, the right gasket for my binks pot *finally* arrived. Time to start incorporating pressure into my casts!  :cool:

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 12:19:16 »
More updates y'all. Went crazy sculpting. A few caps made so far. Not sure if I'll cast them, but it's fun to experiment!

1. Cold Yeti
He has a scarf because he gets cold all the time.

111995-0111997-1111999-2

2. Frankencap
Work in progress. In celebration of Haloween, I decided to do a fun sculpt of the classic.

112001-3112003-4112005-5

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: [Update 9-26-15 New Kecayps!]Retro's Hand-crafted Keycaps Adventure!
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 03:12:47 »
You've definitely got the sculpting part sorted, I just hope your casting is as good.  My board needs more oversize teeth :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 10:31:52 »
Really enjoy seeing your progress here, retro. The Frankencap is sick  :p What color are you thinking for the cast? I want a toxic green!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 12:30:03 »
You've definitely got the sculpting part sorted, I just hope your casting is as good.  My board needs more oversize teeth :)

Really enjoy seeing your progress here, retro. The Frankencap is sick  :p What color are you thinking for the cast? I want a toxic green!

Thanks guys! I'm slowly working on casting. There were some major hiccups with my homemade solution so I'm going to have to spend the big $$$ and get a proper and safe setup.

Not sure which colors I'll use for Frank N. Cap, but it'll be Halloween inspired for sure!

Speaking of Frank, here's a few potato pics of the final design.

112308-0112310-1

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 00:15:03 »

Thanks guys! I'm slowly working on casting. There were some major hiccups with my homemade solution so I'm going to have to spend the big $$$ and get a proper and safe setup.

Not sure which colors I'll use for Frank N. Cap, but it'll be Halloween inspired for sure!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Lovely. They eyes and hair look more detailed. Though, it could just be the better quality pic.

What about Frank N's electrode/bolt things? He's still badass without them, but they seem like staple identifiers  :p

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 21:29:48 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Lovely. They eyes and hair look more detailed. Though, it could just be the better quality pic.

What about Frank N's electrode/bolt things? He's still badass without them, but they seem like staple identifiers  :p

You have a good point! BRB going to see if I can add them in. Thanks for your input, it really means a lot and I love hearing from folks!  :thumb:

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:40:01 »
Huehuehue

112477-0

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 12:12:57 »
Huehuehue

(Attachment Link)

Looking good! Really love that you put the screws in there; gave a really great touch to the overall design! :)

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 20:08:48 »
Huehuehue

(Attachment Link)

Oh ma gawd  :-*

The screws are are perfect. This cap looks incredible.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 20:16:43 »
I really am in awe of your sculpting ability.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 20:23:27 »
Huehuehue

(Attachment Link)

:-* :-* :-*

Frank's in the pressure chamber now along with his friends for a mold treatment.

I really am in awe of your sculpting ability.

Thanks! I'm in awe of your resin casting ability and that homemade doubleshot mold....wow. so good.  :thumb:

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 12:44:48 »
Huehuehue

(Attachment Link)

Frank's in the pressure chamber now along with his friends for a mold treatment.

Do your thing, Frank. And count me in if Frank will be publicly available  :cool:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 17:44:23 »

Ooh you have pressure!  Can't wait to see what comes out :D
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 21:59:16 »

Ooh you have pressure!  Can't wait to see what comes out :D

Thank you for your patience. You've waited long enough. Here are the products of my very first casts with a pressure pot. Detailed notes below:

Casting silicone under pressure is one of the best ways to prevent air bubbles in your mold that will come out as 'pimples' in your cast. I'm slowly learning that if your mold isn't perfect, your casts won't be either. So, as it goes, the going is slow. There are some major adjustments to be made, but I feel like I've made some good progress.

Sharpei Béret
113593-0
Major air bubbles underneath the keycap (thankfully the stem turned out fine, just where the sprues are located). I have an idea about how to modify my mold to allow for the air bubbles to release. It involves recasting the bottom portion of the mold. Ah well.

Cold Yeti
113595-1
Major air bubbles got trapped where his brows, eyes, and fangs are. Not sure what happened here so I'll have to try again and hope it was a fluke.

Frank N Cap
113597-2
Same as Sharpei, I got major air bubbles on the underside of the cap. I will apply the same modifications to Frank's mold and report my findings.

The resin is dyed purple and looks bubble-free, so that's encouraging.

Overall I'm hopeful that if I can make the appropriate modifications to my molds to produce bubble-free casts, I can start experimenting more with pigments and fillers.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2015, 22:01:31 by retrochick »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: [Update 10-12-15 Resin casted!]Retro's Hand-crafted Keycaps Adventure!
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 00:19:54 »
Dang retro, the caps are looking great!  So much progress.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:20:13 »
Been following for a while. Amazing work/progress!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 01:06:21 »
I am loving what I see! Thank you for the shout out.  Great progress and nice log of your work.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:35:49 »
I am loving what I see! Thank you for the shout out.  Great progress and nice log of your work.

Thank you Binge for your kind words! They really do keep me going :).

I recasted the bottom portion of my mold and am finally happy to report my first successful bubble-free casts~~! Pics below. Notes later.

113820-0
113822-1
113824-2
113826-3

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:43:47 »

Thank you Binge for your kind words! They really do keep me going :).

I recasted the bottom portion of my mold and am finally happy to report my first successful bubble-free casts~~! Pics below. Notes later.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Atta girl! Nice work! These could totally be characters from a childens book or animated film. <3 <3 Maybe you should be a character designer for Dreamworks

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 18:51:10 »
Looking good, perfect colour for a Cold Yeti!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DrCr4nK

• Yeah, man. I dig that.
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:12:21 »
Those look so good!  I'd love to know if and when you'd like to sale some! :D

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:29:32 »
Great work, retro!!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 00:03:47 »
Thanks everyone for your kind words! I'm just going to leave these here...
115220-0115222-1115224-2115226-3115228-4115230-5

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 00:42:41 »

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 00:56:25 »
Thanks Thaddeus! Without your suggestion Frank wouldn't be as awesome as he turned out. I really appreciate your input! PM me your address - I may be able to send something out to you  :cool:.

I'll probably have a tiny sale in the near future. There are some slight imperfections to the keys that are unacceptable in my eyes, so I'll be making some adjustments to my masters and recasting the mold before I begin the sale. :thumb:

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 07:20:00 »
Some of the best new Artisans I've seen in a while. Great Job :thumb:

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:44:48 »
Thanks everyone for your kind words! I'm just going to leave these here...
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I just love them all so much! Welcome back from Hawaii!!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:14:34 »
Looking good.  I'm only really a fan of the frankencap, but looking better than 90% of the new "artisans" out there right now.

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 12:52:33 »
Thanks Thaddeus! Without your suggestion Frank wouldn't be as awesome as he turned out. I really appreciate your input! PM me your address - I may be able to send something out to you  :cool:.

I'll probably have a tiny sale in the near future. There are some slight imperfections to the keys that are unacceptable in my eyes, so I'll be making some adjustments to my masters and recasting the mold before I begin the sale. :thumb:

^-^ you're the best! just PM'd you. <3

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:55:53 »
Looking good.  I'm only really a fan of the frankencap, but looking better than 90% of the new "artisans" out there right now.

This. I really like that Frank N Cap.

Also, whatever happened to the beecaps? These caps reminded me of those.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:07:00 »

Shots fired!

Offline DrCr4nK

• Yeah, man. I dig that.
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:42:45 »
These look really nice.  I just started sculpting myself, and am scared of getting to the casting stage.  I have no idea how to do the underside of the cap.  The stem n whatnot.  Good luck, man!  Keep us updated.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:48:29 »
< Newbie here. Just read up on the thread and it's so inspiring to see how you've progressed in the short amount of time! I looove Sharpei Beret and the Frankencap, but all of them are awesome and unique. I had no clue about the sheer amount of time it takes to create individual caps, makes me appreciate the few I have that much more.
Thank you for helping me learn a few things! Can't wait to see what you come up with next  :D

Offline Butter

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 06:52:56 »
Damn I need that blue one in my keyboard ;D

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 11:24:33 »
Frank looks great. Great work

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:27:15 »
Just read through the entire thread, awesome stuff! I really like the idea of fantasy creatures, I don't think anyone is really doing that currently.

I'd love to play around with making some molds, what has the most helpful guide to get you started? Also, do you have a preferred silicon for the mold and resin for the keys?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:12:43 by MajorMajor »
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards