Author Topic: Do you LIKE when your GMK set starts to shine?  (Read 47374 times)

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
Re: Do you LIKE when your GMK set starts to shine?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 01:57:52 »
Haven't had any GMK set shine up as bad as I've seen here, but definitely not a big fan of oily slick keys XD

Offline northpark

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:52:38 »
Sometimes the 3d renderings people release for keycap sets have an entire glossy look.  Imagine my disappointment when I got my first DSA caps in the mail...

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 21:23:45 »
Though it's incredibly faint as of now, my Skeletor home row is starting to shine after about a week of using it at work and home. I think I actually kinda dig it. Adds even more character to the set. Got my PBT set for my no-shine days.

Offline gerdo

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 22:50:02 »
I prefer it didn't although to be fair I don't use keysets for long enough for shine to start showing! :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 07:23:51 »
Sometimes the 3d renderings people release for keycap sets have an entire glossy look.  Imagine my disappointment when I got my first DSA caps in the mail...

I suppose that you are aware that DSA key caps are not made by GMK. Just asking because the thread is all about the last.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 23:54:52 »
Was thinking about this thread because my GMK Skeletor set is starting to change in feel as it smooths out and starts to shine. I really like it. The smoothness that they're starting to develop feels very good, and it makes them even nicer to type on.

Offline Acclaim

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 21:02:58 »
Why is GMK so far beyond any other keycap I've tried? For touch typing, it's the bee's knees. And I was die-hard obsessed with PBT at one point :X

Probably has more to do with Cherry profile than the keycap material.

But as far as the keycap feel goes the profile, material, surface texture, and thickness all matter.

New here, but... Doesn't PBT also come in the Cherry profile a la EnjoyPBT?

Honestly, I am having a lot of trouble deciding on profile and material... This is even before layout, switch, and board choices! It's going to kill me, haha.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 21:04:48 »
Why is GMK so far beyond any other keycap I've tried? For touch typing, it's the bee's knees. And I was die-hard obsessed with PBT at one point :X

But as far as the keycap feel goes the profile, material, surface texture, and thickness all matter.

Honestly, I am having a lot of trouble deciding on profile and material... This is even before layout, switch, and board choices! It's going to kill me, haha.
Yeah, you can get pbt caps in Cherry profile.

Cherry profile is all I use on my MX boards because imo it's the best profile.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 21:07:30 »

Do your own testing. For me, I began and end with OG Cherry, and for the sake of similarity GMK. Best balance of height, profile, thickness, legends consistency and boldness (I hate the irregularities in die subbed PBT). I'd say that if a legend is not just perfect you just do not need it in front of you all the time.

Offline frostylove

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 22:37:47 »
For me, shiny keys look awesome but feels bad
I love the texture of new GMKs, but they won't last more than a month if you use a lot
So the best solution to me is PBT dye-subs

P.S. Leopold made some excellent PBT dye-subs one year before but now discontinued :(
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 23:52:54 »
For as long as they've existed, keyboards have been tools. A peculiar thing has happened in recent years, however. Keyboards are now our art projects, and they are as beautiful as they are utilitarian.

That said, there is something about a pristine, fresh-out-the-box, fully tuned, just assembled, never-before-used keyboard that makes us want to put it behind glass and just look at it for all eternity. It's like opening a new book for the first time; buying a new car or bike; or like a new pair of jeans. They have all yet to fulfill their purpose.

Conversely, there is something wistful about a keyboard that has shiny caps, a beaten up case, and super smooth switches because of the day-in and day-out use it's endured. It's like a book whose pages are falling out because you've read it so may times; the bike with bald tires and the car with seats that fit your exact shape; and the pair of jeans that are tearing to shreds because you wore them every single day. These things have served their purpose day-in and day-out just like our keyboards. They have not only been used, but loved.

This happens every time we get something new. We know that their newness will slowly be replaced by a lovingly used and wistful version of that object. All that remains of that once perfect object is the memory of it.

So, I do love the shiny abs keycaps on the board I've enjoyed typing on every single day, but I also covet the once new & perfect version of it too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 23:56:31 by gnmar2723 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 08:55:59 »
It is not related with brand newness, it is more related with having those features you want to be included in your keyboard. There is nothing interesting in a brand new never used stock keyboard that came with the ThinkStation I just got for the office.

Offline jcc04

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 16:36:33 »
GMK's shine just makes me depressed and pretty much I solely focus on EnjoyPBT unless it's carbon.

Offline esylvester

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 11:13:23 »
For as long as they've existed, keyboards have been tools. A peculiar thing has happened in recent years, however. Keyboards are now our art projects, and they are as beautiful as they are utilitarian.

That said, there is something about a pristine, fresh-out-the-box, fully tuned, just assembled, never-before-used keyboard that makes us want to put it behind glass and just look at it for all eternity. It's like opening a new book for the first time; buying a new car or bike; or like a new pair of jeans. They have all yet to fulfill their purpose.

Conversely, there is something wistful about a keyboard that has shiny caps, a beaten up case, and super smooth switches because of the day-in and day-out use it's endured. It's like a book whose pages are falling out because you've read it so may times; the bike with bald tires and the car with seats that fit your exact shape; and the pair of jeans that are tearing to shreds because you wore them every single day. These things have served their purpose day-in and day-out just like our keyboards. They have not only been used, but loved.

This happens every time we get something new. We know that their newness will slowly be replaced by a lovingly used and wistful version of that object. All that remains of that once perfect object is the memory of it.

So, I do love the shiny abs keycaps on the board I've enjoyed typing on every single day, but I also covet the once new & perfect version of it too.

That was beautiful

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 11:52:42 »

Wow. You are a huge dork.

More
JK That was beautiful and speaks exactly how I feel about whether I really want to use something I got new.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 19:59:01 »
lol I actually forgot that I had written that. Glad some people understand the feeling I was trying to convey :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 22:15:05 »

Do you find yourself buying two of everything - one to keep, pristine, behind glass and one to use?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 09:55:05 »
lol I actually forgot that I had written that. Glad some people understand the feeling I was trying to convey :p
Yes very well written man and says everything I could've come up with, just better. :D

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 00:05:57 »
Do you find yourself buying two of everything - one to keep, pristine, behind glass and one to use?

Yes and no.

I do have duplicates of some stuff like 1800HAU and 1800HAD. I have perfect versions of the HAU and HAD to pair with the revorj when it comes. I also have scratched and used versions of both HAU and HAD to use on my daily driver boards.

It isn't that I want to keep those keysets behind glass forever, I just want to be able to build a perfect board with all new parts that were collected over a long span of time.

I want the super nice stuff to all be brand new when I build it for the first time; I don't want it to be a collection of parts that were once new, but no longer are. The not so perfect parts are placeholders I guess.

Offline Uleoja

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 15:56:44 »
I really do like the shine on my GMK sets.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 03:46:04 »
Love the shine! Feels good man

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 21:51:18 »
Dumb question here - why doesn't GMK make sets in PBT?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:03:57 »

It has been said that PBT is hard to process in double shot molds; however, Taihao has manufactured extremely thin double shot key caps, then, I suppose that the technical constraint has to do with key cap thickness?

Offline badchad

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:05:32 »
Im not entirely sure but i think very few manufacturers have the technology to double shot PBT. Dye sublimation is much more common on PBT, but thats limited since you cant dye sub a lighter legend onto a darker plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD

Offline Auk

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 06:57:25 »

If I got this all correct: when Cherry stopped manufactuing keysets themselves the ABS tooling was purchased from Cherry by GMK, but the PBT tooling was purchased by BSP Europe. So there may be some contractual and licensing issue we don't know about.

GMK's expertise is certainly with ABS, and PBT shrinks and warps on cooling, which is why it's rarely doubleshot. So it could just be that GMK have little or no incentive to try and solve the limitation of PBT manufacture.