Author Topic: SmogKeys Keycap Crafting!  (Read 2061 times)

Offline SmogKeys

SmogKeys Keycap Crafting!
« on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:00:59 »
Hello everybody, I'm SmogKeys and I'm beginning my journey into keycap crafting right here. You can follow my progress here as I work on sculpting, molding and casting all sorts of keycaps!

If anyone is able to help me with molding the actual stem I would be indebted to them. Right now the silicon isnt forming a mold of the stem insert :(

Sculpting
More
Coming Soon!

Molding
More
Currently struggling through the molding phase. I am on my second attempt to create a blank DCS mold. The problem with my molds is that I cannot get the stem to form. I think the solution to this might be to use slightly more of my molding Silicon Part A as adding more Part B makes the silicon thicker and could be preventing it from flowing into the stem. If you've got any advice on this I could use it!

Offline KeLorean

Re: SmogKeys Keycap Crafting!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:04:09 »
what kind of silicone are you using?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:07:14 »
Don't mess with the ratio, it'll prevent it from curing properly and your mold will have other problems. For the stems, try dabbing some silicone down in there with a toothpick before pouring it all in.

Offline SmogKeys

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:23:20 »
what kind of silicone are you using?

Its Smooth On OOMOO 30

Don't mess with the ratio, it'll prevent it from curing properly and your mold will have other problems. For the stems, try dabbing some silicone down in there with a toothpick before pouring it all in.

Ah thats a great idea! I'll give that a go tomorrow morning when I try to mold again. Thanks!

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:30:44 »
is the stem ripping out or is it just not there at all? when you demold?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline SmogKeys

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:32:54 »

The stems just not there at all, its beginning to form but its just a tiny little stump :(

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 06:00:52 »

The stems just not there at all, its beginning to form but its just a tiny little stump :(
yeah, in that case rpeterclick is right. an air pocket is happening as you pour your silicone. make sure that you pour slowly and from the lowest point in that same spot the whole time so that the silicone fills in all cavities. i also slightly tilt my sculpts as i pour too. i've poured some pretty crazy sculptures wiith lips and crevices and have had few problems. rpetetclicks idea to dab in the silicone in there may be a good idea too. i've never tried that though. if u follow his and my advice u should get it. cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!