Author Topic: chair shop?  (Read 4774 times)

Offline jonathanyu

chair shop?
« on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 02:45:30 »
anyone know any chair shop around LA?
I really want to get a new chair for computer..but I must try it before buying one.
I have tried those in office depot but those are horrible.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: chair shop?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 02:52:00 »
Standing desk.. It's the only way.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 11:14:57 »

eww

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 17:35:35 »
What kind of chair are you looking for; just a basic computer chair? or do you want to get something custom/super highend?

I highly recommend looking for a used office supply company (we have one in NC called Storr that is awesome). There are some big ones out there that have thousands of chairs for sale where you can try them in the warehouse. Take away the storefront and you can save a ton of money.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 17:44:09 »
Sitting,  is the problem..

No amount of high end will solve it.

It's like eating fatty foods and lots of meat,  THAT causes heart disease and cancer,   No amount of Statins or Chemo therapy will rectify all the damage..

The entirety of the ergonomics chairs market is a sham to fix a problem we shouldn't even have, had we spent a little more time just Standing..

There is a small adjustment period, but very quickly, you get your work done , and your whole body feels at ease because it can fully circulate..

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 17:55:32 »
-Dana

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 17:57:42 »
+1 to office surplus.

Search for Herman Miller or Steelcase on craigslist and you can usually find them.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 18:09:34 »
tp4 what if your chair... makes you exercise?!  :))

-Dana

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 18:56:03 »

I must agree. I sat for my whole typing life till we moved to a new place last year and, for reasons of furniture logistics, had to type at my wife's sideboard. You'd think it'd be tiring, but I've never felt better.

As this Mayo Clinic article explains, sitting for long periods of time has serious health risks, including:

• A nearly 50% increased risk of death from any cause

• About a 125% increased risk of events associated with cardiovascular disease (e.g. chest pain, heart attack)

Most of us have at least an inkling about that, but I imagine relatively few of us are assiduous about standing up and taking regular breaks.

By contrast, typing standing up:

• Tones your muscles, sense of balance and overall coordination

• Allows full circulation (as tp4t mentioned)

• Makes it easier to move around, and to maintain your most natural arm/hand positions

• Makes you look more fit and dynamic, possibly enhancing your job status  ;?)

So, OP, while this may not have been the kind of info you were looking for, you may want to consider it.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 19:46:55 »
Drink lots of water. Keeps you hydrated, and enforces regular breaks ;)
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 20:17:52 »
As I understand it several opt for desks that are both regular desks and standing desks, where you can adjust the height.

Yup: my doctor know I sit in front of my computer all day long and told to me to put a freakin' water (not bubbling) bottle next to my monitor and drink a lot of water... I know I should. I really really should. But I keep forgetting.

(gone to exercise a bit!)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 20:45:28 »

LOL, great reminder system.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 21:37:26 »
I gave tp4's chair a make-over http://abeautifulmess.com/2016/04/project-restyle-office-chair-makeover.html

I actually have some real life pimping experience...

I was told by the females i managed at the time, that I was exceptionally suited because my face is amicable and non-threatening,  such that the would-be clients (johns) more readily broached the subject with me...

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 23:46:20 »

I must agree. I sat for my whole typing life till we moved to a new place last year and, for reasons of furniture logistics, had to type at my wife's sideboard. You'd think it'd be tiring, but I've never felt better.

As this Mayo Clinic article explains, sitting for long periods of time has serious health risks, including:

• A nearly 50% increased risk of death from any cause

• About a 125% increased risk of events associated with cardiovascular disease (e.g. chest pain, heart attack)

Most of us have at least an inkling about that, but I imagine relatively few of us are assiduous about standing up and taking regular breaks.

By contrast, typing standing up:

• Tones your muscles, sense of balance and overall coordination

• Allows full circulation (as tp4t mentioned)

• Makes it easier to move around, and to maintain your most natural arm/hand positions

• Makes you look more fit and dynamic, possibly enhancing your job status  ;?)

So, OP, while this may not have been the kind of info you were looking for, you may want to consider it.

I am of the belief that being sedentary is a symptom of being obese and unhealthy, not the other way around. When i was a chain smoker I got up from my desk a lot - now i have to set a reminder beep every hour to get up and walk around a bit or a whole shift will go by and I havent moved. I should try and get one of those monitor stands that lifts up.
-Dana

Offline typo

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 23:57:35 »
50% dying any cause? I 100% trust Mayo but that seems a little extreme. You fall off the chair, smash head into table, continue fall hitting head on side of chairs armrest, continuing to the floor where you hit the chairs base with you noggin?

To the op if you are reasonably small The embody by Herman miller is outstanding. I am just to big for it. If you want to spend that but good luck finding one used. Never know though. I really think you should test drive it if you are in fact going to spend that. There has to be somewhere in LA. Just search office furniture in LA. Unfortunately some of those warehouses are in compton Etc. I never had a problem but I am huge. I have not been there in 50 years anyways.

I enjoy my Eames. So, now a question. Other than Herman miller, currently what is the difference between a task chair and an office chair? It seems the line has become obscured. For computer use you certainly want a fully adjustable chair with sliding seat and lumbar support if not the Embody or AEron.

On that note, absolutely do not buy a chair from Office depot! They are probably exactly what Mayo was speaking of!

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 03:46:08 »

standing is not an option

What kind of chair are you looking for; just a basic computer chair? or do you want to get something custom/super highend?

I highly recommend looking for a used office supply company (we have one in NC called Storr that is awesome). There are some big ones out there that have thousands of chairs for sale where you can try them in the warehouse. Take away the storefront and you can save a ton of money.

I don't really care is it basic or super highend, as long as it is durable and comfortable its fine
I have tried some herman miller and don't really think they are comfortable
however I do like how "gaming chair" is hugging me while sitting. but I am not sure how long they will last for their relatively low price.

+1 to office surplus.

Search for Herman Miller or Steelcase on craigslist and you can usually find them.

I have thought about get a used one on craigslist... but just buy imagine sitting on someone's chair which has been farted on countless time..

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 22:09:23 »
If you like a gaming chair look at Recaro. It is also big bucks and will last forever. It is a tossup with HM. Different approach to good posture but both work. I honestly love the Eames I have used 4 years now. It is not ergonomic at all but like sitting in a cloud. Plus at my size it is good. I can confirm it will hold way above it's rating. So built good. I think I paid like 5 grand or something though. If you can find an old Hon Resolution 6213 those were great chairs that could fit almost any size person. Hon today might as well be sold at Office Depot too. Plastic base is simply unacceptable. The 6213 would last several lifetimes. With the Eames I worry if the leather will crack but probably doubtful. If you buy a used chair just steam it and you are good. Unless it is leather there is a different process.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 23:22:09 »
I've been using just a generic office high-back leatherish chair for years. I honestly think most chairs are just different priced garbage until you get into the high end custom type stuff.

That being said, I've been curious if anyone has used one of these racing seat chairs? assdrop has them for sale pretty often too. I think my favorite aspect is the "sleeping" position. I mean really, who sleeps in their office chair! Plus you would fall over instantly if you tried this position lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2017, 23:23:46 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:33:23 »
IKEA Markus is so good value... Feels like a 400$ chair for around 150$
If you are looking for even higher end I would prob skip the mid-tier (dont even bother with the gaming chairs...) and go for a Herman Miller aeron  :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline davidwiese

• Gaming Chair Insider
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 10:46:52 »
Looks so nice. Much reliable and comfortable PC gaming chair. Anyone who is looking for gaming chairs this would be a nice choice I think. Anyways, I know a reliable source where different kind of chairs available in different shape https://www.gamingchairpro.com/kinsal-gaming-chair-review-unboxing/ Hope you could like it guys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 20:25:56 by davidwiese »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 19:40:13 »
What makes a chair better for gaming than a nice office task chair?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 19:49:52 »
What makes a chair better for gaming than a nice office task chair?

Nothing.. but it has too look cool on stream. !!

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 21:42:41 »
Not a fan of gaming chairs. Get a nice office from Herman Miller or something of the like. My daily sitter (?) is an older eames padded leather office chair that is a delight to sit in.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 23:22:56 »

standing is not an option

I don't really care is it basic or super highend, as long as it is durable and comfortable its fine
I have tried some herman miller and don't really think they are comfortable
however I do like how "gaming chair" is hugging me while sitting. but I am not sure how long they will last for their relatively low price.

+1 to office surplus.

I have thought about get a used one on craigslist... but just buy imagine sitting on someone's chair which has been farted on countless time..

If you're worried about sitting on old farts, just imagine how many farts you breathe.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 00:07:15 »

If you're worried about sitting on old farts, just imagine how many farts you breathe.

There is a specific contamination number I read somewhere.. it's in the micrograms.. 

However, it's still much less than contamination in meat products..