Author Topic: Cherry SPOS G86-63401 custom mapping with Easy AVR - Intercepting keystrokes?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline jacob.stadtfeld

So I'm trying to build a custom mapping for GrandMA2 by translating keystrokes from a Cherry SPOS G86-63401 into MIDI messages; basically I want to use it as a midi controller, while also being able to use my laptops keyboard normally. The main hurdle I'm running into is that Bomes interprets keystrokes from either keyboard as the same signal; there's no way to swallow/isolate keystrokes from the SPOS from those of the built in keyboard. The configuration software from Cherry is pretty limited, and while it supports multi-key macros, they introduce significant input lag for any such commands, so I'd prefer to avoid putting everything as "Shift+1, Shift+2, etc.."

So ideally I'd like to bypass the need to configure the keyboard with standard keystrokes, identify whatever signals the individual keys are sending, if any, and convert those signals to midi messages, if not through bomes then through something else first. I'm basically looking for a way to differentiate keystrokes from individual keyboard inputs.

Is Easy AVR the way to go on this? I'm aware it can't output midi, but can it at least swallow keystrokes from specific keyboard controllers so that those keystrokes are not passed on to Windows? If I can get it to at least put out unique keystrokes, I can make that work with Bomes. And if Easy AVR isn't the right tool for the job, where can I go instead? Are there any ways I can perhaps cut into the firmware or driver to intercept or convert signals before hitting windows?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Offline manwolf

any luck with this? currently doing the same project

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Short answer - no, EasyAVR is not the tool for the job.

The TMK USB-USB converter comes closer (assuming the Cherry board is USB) but it still outputs keyboard keys not midi so you would have some work to do.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 04:08:09 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod