Author Topic: Hello! :)  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Nek

Hello! :)
« on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 08:30:22 »
Hello guys and gals,

I'm not a really new member as I have registered years ago but I feel that I am new again and should post a hello topic. I am just an occasionally lurker just reading various topics from time to time. So this is essentially my first time that I post in a long time.

Some few words about myself: I am very fond of mechanical keyboards and I love how they feel, I like them very much. My profession (software developer) demands that I use a keyboard almost all day long, so I consider them as one of the most, if not the most, important tools of my job. Therefore I own and use a couple of them, a Filco Majestouch 2 with Blue MX switches and in the office I use a CM Storm with Brown switches (basically it is a cheap Filco clone). I love my Filco, it is great, it just oozes with quality and the blue switches are my favorite, I really like typing on them. You see I always put quality above quantity in almost all my purchases. I take very seriously my buying decisions, as I think buying stuff that make you more productive and/or are more useful and helpful is much preferred to just buying cheap clones that are not as good and keep replacing them often. I think in the end those will end up costing you more and will, on top of that, never give you a satisfying result as they will always be inferior and will also frustrate you or die on you when you actually need them.

So, for the last few weeks I have been "obsessing" again about mechs and I am reading (and watching) more and more about them. Special kudos go to Chyros for his great YT channel, which has opened my eyes on the vintage "scene" and the formidable ALPS switches. It has whet my appetite to try them and seek out to find some.

My recent obsession began the time I decided to clean up my Filco Majestouch 2 w/ blue switches. The accumulated dirt was unbelievable, but I know that this would take a lot of my time to do and I was just postponing and postponing it. Anyway, long story short, I ended up trying to "fix" some sticky keys and some that lost their 'click' over those years. The result was that I spent a whole lot more time to experiment with the switches, lube them, clean them, test them, bent their leafs to make them harder/softer etc. I also tryed the Jailhouse technique (which I didn't like) and breaking a bunch of them. So I ordered new ones, I put the keyboard back together and I started seeking for the One Truly God switch that will satisfy me the most.

Therefore I have bought one MATIAS and one Cherry MX switch tester recently to try all the more common first and get a first hand experience, in order to understand their differences in feel and quality as best as I can. I also just ordered 3 vintage keyboards (I'll make separate posts about them) and I want to learn as much as possible about this topic as it has grow on me and keeps on growing, which it is a very good thing for me, as I feel that lately I don't have some hobby that gives me any kind of pleasure anymore.

So I am going all in on this, and I want to let you know that I love what you are doing here and I like this community, because it is made up mostly with people that are serious, mature and above all friendly and helpful. Well done!  :thumb:

Thanks for letting me in and I'll continue on to create topics about my new keyboards. Cheers!
Filco Majestouch 2 Blue MX | CM Storm Brown MX