Author Topic: Macbook  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
Macbook
« on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 01:13:44 »
Well I just got a macbook pro 13" for college. It will be nice for stuff on the go, especially with the underlying unix system (I have a few projects running on make+gcc). I tried arch on a laptop before but the battery life what **** and I had all kinds of wifi issues. This seems like the best of both worlds - pretty gui on top, powerful command line below (item2+zsh).

Anyways, I would love to hear any helpful suggestions for someone new to the world of apple. Anything I should really know about? I did notice that the readline shortcuts (C-a, C-e) work everywhere, which is pretty cool - however, getting used to command-a for selecting everything will take a little getting used to.

Ohh and does anyone know how to implement dual role keys? I already opened the keyboard settings and made capslock control. But I want to make it also act as an escape key when tapped (SUPER useful in vim). In linux I would use xcape, but googling "xcape mac" didn't bring up anything helpful.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 01:16:26 by Smasher816 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Macbook
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 01:20:27 »
If you need to run Linux, or even Windows, but want to keep OS X, have you considered running the other OSs in a virtual machine?  I use VirtualBox.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 06:28:20 »
I suggest BootCamp and Windows 7 or your favourite Linux flavour. Nice hardware, shame about the OS. And the price.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:44:46 »
I've used Parallels, which runs a virtual machine in a new "space".

It's nice because a four-finger swipe goes between spaces, so you can go between operating systems very fluidly.

Bootcamp is fine if you have no intention of using more than one operating system at a time. I used to do this, but found myself wanting to be able to use both systems at the same time.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)