Author Topic: [IC] Cosplay Queen  (Read 4701 times)

Offline JucyFrut

[IC] Cosplay Queen
« on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:26:49 »

Very early stages of development and looking for feedback!

Inspiration
I watched "My dress up darling" when it came out episode by episode, then got into keycaps shortly after and thought "hey this would be a great set that I think a lot of people might be interested in because its really cute and comfy". Also the character Marin Kitagawa is just perfect for this kind of thing in my opinion. This is my first attempt are designing a keycap set after getting blender and learning how to use it I am very proud of what I have so far.

IC FORM

KITTING

BASE KIT

ALPHAS

NOVELTIES

SPACEBARS

RENDERS

Cypher compact 1800

Fuji 65

SP 111

SIGNATURE
If you would like to support this project, please consider adding this signature to your profile
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117465.0][img width=213 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/OdAsviW.jpg?2[/img][/url]

Update History:
6/9/22 - IC First Posted
6/11/22 - Hiragana Alphas removed and replaced with English alphas, and updated images to have keycap sizes

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 June 2022, 22:35:17 by JucyFrut »

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
Re: [IC] Cosplay Queen
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:35:49 »
 n/e colors avail?, Anyway the set it self looks fine bit to mellow colors for me i would maybe make de legends a bit darker, GLWIC :thumb:

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:39:46 »
Kitting could use some work. Base kit is missing an F13 (you could throw out the 1u BS for it) and you're missing split numpad options i.e. 1u 0 and split plus. Label the spacebar sizes in the spacebar kit because they're pretty hard to eyeball. Usually it's good to include Alice bars (2u, 2.25u and 2.75u) along with a 1u, 1.25u and 2x3u.

You should know which manufacturer you're going to run this with at this point.

Renders are also kinda sus. The Cypher render shows a completely different keyset. It's has center aligned latin only alphas and text mods. Neither of which actually exist in your keyset.

The IC is a good start but still pretty underdeveloped which you're probably aware off judging by the big text on top of the thread. Would be nice to see more updated renders and a manufacturer/material.

Offline Lysol_

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:41:04 »
Honestly this is nice for those that want more pastel type sets. 2 things though, what are the color codes and will renders be updated to use the legends from the kitting?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline JucyFrut

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:48:06 »

Renders are also kinda sus. The Cypher render shows a completely different keyset. It's has center aligned latin only alphas and text mods. Neither of which actually exist in your keyset.

Lol these were very early renditions (I didn't even notice. I did them myself a while ago) ill update them with the actual base kit. thanks for letting me know!  :thumb:

Offline JucyFrut

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:50:27 »
Honestly this is nice for those that want more pastel type sets. 2 things though, what are the color codes and will renders be updated to use the legends from the kitting?

I don't have the color codes yet still early very rough draft. and yes I will update the renders to use the correct kit. thanks :)

Offline shima

• keeb weeb
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:53:22 »
should've went into pre-ic first before coming here imho
boards: anura

Offline P103

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 04:06:59 »
287062-0

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 04:13:31 »
should've went into pre-ic first before coming here imho

They have a theme, some kitting, novelties, renders… people need to chill with this policing of ICs.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 07:01:51 »
Using Marin as a theme is okay, but I don't personally think the set colors go hand in hand with the theme, at least for now.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 09:53:48 »
You asked for feedback, so here we go.

The colors are pretty meh to me. They aren't particularly appealing on their own, and the colors, especially on the mods, don't connect with the image you posted as your inspiration for me. The fact that you haven't colormatched at all is a major red flag.

The kitting is fairly weak, but without a clear manu or set of manus you're choosing from it's kinda pointless to harp on it.

The novelties are where you really lose me with this design. Not only do I not know what key is supposed to go where (due to a lack of row/key size indication AND 0 renders with the novelties in them) but they're all just so...meh. Nothing really stands out as particularly inventive or special, the line widths between each illustration are inconsistent, and some look like they're copy+pasted from Microsoft Word clipart.

Personally I'd say this needed another couple of months in pre-IC development before being presented, and if this had been shown to me prior to this post I would have advised you not to post it. By the time you've picked a manu, colormatched, and fixed the novelties it will likely be a completely different keyset. Posting early on in the design process may seem like a way to garner good early feedback, but in reality it just gives a bad first impression. Feel free to reach out to me on discord if you'd like to chat more. Good luck.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 10:22:45 »
Marin is ****in ADORABLE, I loved the show. I don't know that this keycap set is for me, but good luck nonetheless. Great idea!
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 10:25:50 »

The colors are pretty meh to me. They aren't particularly appealing on their own, and the colors, especially on the mods, don't connect with the image you posted as your inspiration for me. The fact that you haven't colormatched at all is a major red flag.

The kitting is fairly weak, but without a clear manu or set of manus you're choosing from it's kinda pointless to harp on it.

The novelties are where you really lose me with this design. Not only do I not know what key is supposed to go where (due to a lack of row/key size indication AND 0 renders with the novelties in them) but they're all just so...meh. Nothing really stands out as particularly inventive or special, the line widths between each illustration are inconsistent, and some look like they're copy+pasted from Microsoft Word clipart.

Personally I'd say this needed another couple of months in pre-IC development before being presented, and if this had been shown to me prior to this post I would have advised you not to post it. By the time you've picked a manu, colormatched, and fixed the novelties it will likely be a completely different keyset. Posting early on in the design process may seem like a way to garner good early feedback, but in reality it just gives a bad first impression. Feel free to reach out to me on discord if you'd like to chat more. Good luck.

Fully agreed. The novelties are hardly connected to the character at all, even after having watched the show. I also don't think that the colors are really that appealing to me. As Lighting said, also, they don't really match the inspiration picture all that well. It has potential, but it should go back to the drawing board. With that being said, I love the inspiration, so all the best to OP.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline JucyFrut

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 13:20:07 »

I updated the inspiration image to something more in line with the set I did color drop all of the colors in the set from this image so as far as I know this should get the message across better. I had the previous one because I just liked the image of her more than the rest, although it didn't really convey the "inspiration" I guess.

Also the novelties are taken from each of the cosplays that she does within the anime/manga and other concepts that I think fit with her personality (cute and quirky ie. the Japanese emoticons).

on a whole other note thank you for your feedback, and I will reach out if anything comes up!

Offline soundstage

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 13:54:42 »
After seeing your post with the updated inspiration image, i think you need to rethink your colour choices. This kit starts and ends with the colours from her hair. Alphas just take the top of her hair and the modifiers take her dyed tip of her hair. Colour choices are disconnected from her character.

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 14:05:52 »
Would also like to see a 40s kit too. The colour choices are okay, and just so you know, I can't see the inspiration image at all because my computer blocks weeb websites :p

Offline JucyFrut

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 15:54:31 »
After seeing your post with the updated inspiration image, i think you need to rethink your colour choices. This kit starts and ends with the colours from her hair. Alphas just take the top of her hair and the modifiers take her dyed tip of her hair. Colour choices are disconnected from her character.

the blue legends on the modifiers are from her tie and the darker pink on the alpha legends, enter, escape etc. are from her eyes
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2022, 15:56:12 by JucyFrut »

Offline Pyurii

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 16:23:26 »
Reminds me of Axolotl. Colors don't really scream Marin to me, the pinks used are not even within her color palette. The novelties are a little messy. She is a vastly liked character by a lot of people like me, but I would not be interested in purchasing this.

Offline JucyFrut

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 21:17:58 »
Reminds me of Axolotl. Colors don't really scream Marin to me, the pinks used are not even within her color palette. The novelties are a little messy. She is a vastly liked character by a lot of people like me, but I would not be interested in purchasing this.

the pinks are in her color palette (may not be in the reference image), but none the less I color dropped them myself from a screencap of the anime. but ill try and tweak some things.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 23:29:30 »
This looks very similar to ePBT Axolotls. I actually enjoyed that set a lot and it was fun because it had axolotls in many different colors. That said, I do have some suggestions.

I would remove the anime association if you have any hopes of a Japan vendor. I don't think the novelties and kits by themselves are enough. Novelties seem pretty haphazardly thought out. I'd would be interesting to see more play on the cosplay approach. Costumes and such. I suppose it also depends on what keycap manufacturer you decide to go with.