Author Topic: North Carolina - NC Meetup [Meetup #2 Success!][Local Meetups Being Organized]  (Read 102195 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Count me in too! I'm in downtown Cary. I dont have much of a collection yet; A corsair k95 RGB and a cherry switch tester :rolleyes:.. but i'm looking to either build or buy a 104 key MX-brown setup for the wife and a 60% MX-green or MX-clear for me. It would be super helpful to try others boards first.
Seriously? I go to Taipei 101 all the time there. Just went to the pharmacy bottle shop for the first time as well. Pm me your number if you want. I. Meet often with a few other locals and can keep you in the loop when we meet!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
I'm moving to Knoxville so when the time comes, COUNT ME IN TOO!!!! I have been looking forward to the idea of visiting all the cool cities in the area.

In fact, after hearing how amazing Asheville is, I am starting to think I picked the wrong city! I can't believe Retrochick is going to be close by as well. I see many fun keyboard times in the future....
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
I'm moving to Knoxville so when the time comes, COUNT ME IN TOO!!!! I have been looking forward to the idea of visiting all the cool cities in the area.

In fact, after hearing how amazing Asheville is, I am starting to think I picked the wrong city! I can't believe Retrochick is going to be close by as well. I see many fun keyboard times in the future....

HOORAY BOOPER!!! I can't believe how close you'll be :). You're definitely welcome to come visit Chapel Hill/Raleigh anytime and let me know if you need a place to crash. I imagine lots of shop talking and legit geeking out about keyboard/keycaps. So excited to hear this. When are you planning on moving?

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com

HOORAY BOOPER!!! I can't believe how close you'll be :). You're definitely welcome to come visit Chapel Hill/Raleigh anytime and let me know if you need a place to crash. I imagine lots of shop talking and legit geeking out about keyboard/keycaps. So excited to hear this. When are you planning on moving?

OMG! This is so excitttiiiiiiinnnnggggg!!!!! I'm actually in the process of moving now! I already rented a house and have to make just one more trip or two to get all my crap up there from Mississippi.

When will you be in NC!? CASTING MEETUPS FTW!!!!! We can totally geek out and share trade secrets and all kinds of good stuff! Same here too, if you ever want to come visit Knox I'd be thrilled to have you. :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Get a room, you two.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet

OMG! This is so excitttiiiiiiinnnnggggg!!!!! I'm actually in the process of moving now! I already rented a house and have to make just one more trip or two to get all my crap up there from Mississippi.

When will you be in NC!? CASTING MEETUPS FTW!!!!! We can totally geek out and share trade secrets and all kinds of good stuff! Same here too, if you ever want to come visit Knox I'd be thrilled to have you. :D

WHAAAAATTTT!!!!!!! I land in Chapel Hill sometime around Jan 25th. Doing a long road trip from California to NC.

I'm SOOOO stoked to get together! CASTING MEETUPS for suuuuuuureeeeeeee! We can totally talk secrets and share knowledge and help each other in any way possible! I will definitely hit you up once I get into town.  :thumb:

Get a room, you two.

Don't be jealous Hoff. Together Booper and I are going to take over the world.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
I am jealous.  :(  I wanna be included!  :'(

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
Get a room, you two.

MAYBE WE WILL

WHAAAAATTTT!!!!!!! I land in Chapel Hill sometime around Jan 25th. Doing a long road trip from California to NC.

I'm SOOOO stoked to get together! CASTING MEETUPS for suuuuuuureeeeeeee! We can totally talk secrets and share knowledge and help each other in any way possible! I will definitely hit you up once I get into town.  :thumb:

Get a room, you two.

Hell yea we are!

Weeee! I can't wait! That is a hell of a drive but you'll be there soon too then! 2016 is going to be awesome. I can already tell :D

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild

Get a room, you two.

Not to interrupt the happy explosions but I would totally $ign up for a casting "workshop" if you guys hosted one. Something where we could watch and learn and then go try it out with expert guidance. I'd be happy to host it, but would travel wherever. I really want to try casting but its a bit daunting at first.
-Dana

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet

Get a room, you two.

Not to interrupt the happy explosions but I would totally $ign up for a casting "workshop" if you guys hosted one. Something where we could watch and learn and then go try it out with expert guidance. I'd be happy to host it, but would travel wherever. I really want to try casting but its a bit daunting at first.

There are lots of informative videos on YT that cover the basics of casting and even some advance techniques. A lot of it is trial and error and figuring out a system that works best for you. With that in mind, I would think a casting workshop would impart limited educational benefit, simply because a lot of it is dependent on individual setups. You may go home and try it again and because of the slight temperature difference of your environment that the resin isn't behaving as you'd expect.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

Get a room, you two.

There are lots of informative videos on YT that cover the basics of casting and even some advance techniques. A lot of it is trial and error and figuring out a system that works best for you. With that in mind, I would think a casting workshop would impart limited educational benefit, simply because a lot of it is dependent on individual setups. You may go home and try it again and because of the slight temperature difference of your environment that the resin isn't behaving as you'd expect.

I know another guy here that I meet with who is starting to cast as well. We could always just snag coffee/beer together and talk about these things :D

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Hey All!

Updated the OP to include information for bi-weekly meetups in the Raleigh area, for anyone interested. If you are interested please just PM me with either an email/phone # and I will add you to the appropriate threads  :thumb:

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com

Yea! I think it could be fun and a cool thing to do to interact with folks. I like the idea of people making stuff and being into the hobby, but I also wouldn't want to contribute to an influx of folks just trying to make a buck on selling artisans.

Getting started with the guidance of someone who's done it would definitely make the process less intimidating for people who want to try it out! And I think it would be productive just for people to see and understand what all goes into artisan making.

There are a lot of components to master though - sculpting, mold making, casting - and ultimately you'd have a lot of equipment to buy and stuff to get to do it on your own! It would be fun to do like 3 meetups for casting though. First one could be making your own design, second for mold making, and third as actual casting. Seems like a lot to organize, but could be fun. I enjoy teaching though and it would probably be a nice outlet for me even. I'd be open to doing something like that in the future.

I know another guy here that I meet with who is starting to cast as well. We could always just snag coffee/beer together and talk about these things :D

Sounds good to me! I like beer and coffee and cool people!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet

Yea! I think it could be fun and a cool thing to do to interact with folks. I like the idea of people making stuff and being into the hobby, but I also wouldn't want to contribute to an influx of folks just trying to make a buck on selling artisans.

This is my strongest sentiment about having a casting meetup, however I do think it might be beneficial to do a simple multipart meetup like you suggested. There's still a lot to be learned from gravity casting and I think a course on safety is especially important. Wearing proper protection and being in a well-ventilated area is key when you are casting.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Hey All!

Updated the OP to include information for bi-weekly meetups in the Raleigh area, for anyone interested. If you are interested please just PM me with either an email/phone # and I will add you to the appropriate threads  :thumb:

Count me in. I'll shoot you a PM with my info. I'm a big fan of beer and sometimes coffee as well.

Getting started with the guidance of someone who's done it would definitely make the process less intimidating for people who want to try it out! And I think it would be productive just for people to see and understand what all goes into artisan making.

There are a lot of components to master though - sculpting, mold making, casting - and ultimately you'd have a lot of equipment to buy and stuff to get to do it on your own! It would be fun to do like 3 meetups for casting though. First one could be making your own design, second for mold making, and third as actual casting. Seems like a lot to organize, but could be fun. I enjoy teaching though and it would probably be a nice outlet for me even. I'd be open to doing something like that in the future.

Yeah you make a good point. I didn't consider it as a business, I just want to make stuff for myself or to trade if i ever get good enough.

I suppose you could simplify the whole 'class' and do something like "make a raised letter keycap weekend/GH meet up". Minimal sculpey use, simple mold, single shot cast. I dunno, you've gotten so good at the whole process i'd love to just sit and watch your work flow and ask questions.  :thumb:

Yeah thats one of many pitfalls and questions i've read from people starting out. It would be pretty cool to have someone there to ask and have them show you how to skip all that "reinventing the wheel" right from the start though, right?

My favorite aspect of "beginners workshop" type classes is that you get to try out something with the supervision of an expert before you make the financial commitment to it. Pottery classes come to mind.
-Dana

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
I'm a big fan of beer

We will get along.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
-Dana

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
I will come to one of these eventually :)
I love Elzy

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO

Drive me

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

The big one in Asheville Mid next year would be perfect  :thumb: Visit the SO and come to the glorious mountains where beer is more than abundant, views are obscenely good, and everyone will be weirder than us and our little keyboard clan in the city. I'll have to get a poll up sooner than later for what dates work for people. Quite a few have expressed interest in traveling to that one.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com

Yeah you make a good point. I didn't consider it as a business, I just want to make stuff for myself or to trade if i ever get good enough.

I suppose you could simplify the whole 'class' and do something like "make a raised letter keycap weekend/GH meet up". Minimal sculpey use, simple mold, single shot cast. I dunno, you've gotten so good at the whole process i'd love to just sit and watch your work flow and ask questions.  :thumb:

Yeah thats one of many pitfalls and questions i've read from people starting out. It would be pretty cool to have someone there to ask and have them show you how to skip all that "reinventing the wheel" right from the start though, right?

My favorite aspect of "beginners workshop" type classes is that you get to try out something with the supervision of an expert before you make the financial commitment to it. Pottery classes come to mind.

Pottery classes are a good example and that's what I was thinking of as well! It's a hobby that requires a lot of skill and resources and many people want to try it before they get too sucked in.

A lot of makers, I used to be one of them, like to hide their process though... kind of like "i had to figure it all out, so should they!" and I agree with the sentiment to an extent, but I also think communities grow from helping one another and exploring new ideas together! If I had had the opportunity for someone to teach me to cast, or if I had the opportunity to learn it in college or something in a more hands on way, I would have jumped on the chance.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about people trying to make money off the community... If someone can figure it all out and do a good job, with or without my help, then I think that's cool. I also think it's more the responsibility of community members to identify quality work over crappy gold diggers anyway. There will always be people trying to make a buck. In fact, being more transparent about the process, cost, and risk may educate people in a way that provides a better understanding of what quality work is.

Also, you can make a mold of like anything as a demonstration, not necessarily keycaps. The process of making a mold and resin casting is really cool and can be used for all sorts of things!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

Pottery classes are a good example and that's what I was thinking of as well! It's a hobby that requires a lot of skill and resources and many people want to try it before they get too sucked in.

A lot of makers, I used to be one of them, like to hide their process though... kind of like "i had to figure it all out, so should they!" and I agree with the sentiment to an extent, but I also think communities grow from helping one another and exploring new ideas together! If I had had the opportunity for someone to teach me to cast, or if I had the opportunity to learn it in college or something in a more hands on way, I would have jumped on the chance.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about people trying to make money off the community... If someone can figure it all out and do a good job, with or without my help, then I think that's cool. I also think it's more the responsibility of community members to identify quality work over crappy gold diggers anyway. There will always be people trying to make a buck. In fact, being more transparent about the process, cost, and risk may educate people in a way that provides a better understanding of what quality work is.

Also, you can make a mold of like anything as a demonstration, not necessarily keycaps. The process of making a mold and resin casting is really cool and can be used for all sorts of things!

I obviously don't make caps, but I definitely see why an established maker (like the both of you) would be cautious as well. I don't see that as someone looking in as snuffing the community. What I do see is a LOT of these days are "makers" just rushing to start an "artisan" brand, and selling sub par stuff, be it the design or quality. Not publicly sharing the tiny little details of what goes on seems smart to me, honestly.

In person meetups are always so much different though. I'd love to see part of the process, even though I've got no intentions of ever making caps. I just like learning what happens so I can appreciate the artistic skill and work even more.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
So what sorta plans are there for another meetup? Really hoping to make this one
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
So what sorta plans are there for another meetup? Really hoping to make this one

Hey! So I actually started the "official" planning of this last night! Emailed a few people that I knew were interested and going to be traveling to see if they had any hiccups with the dates. Right now SATURDAY JUNE 4 is the tentative date in Asheville NC.

From Raleigh, I may be able to give people a ride up as well from other places depending on my car situation now. Stuck with a car that just died for good today, so we will see what I have then. But I know driving to Raleigh, then riding up with me would probably save people traveling from up north a good bit of gas since you have to essentially go through raleigh anyways before shooting west.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

Hey! So I actually started the "official" planning of this last night! Emailed a few people that I knew were interested and going to be traveling to see if they had any hiccups with the dates. Right now SATURDAY JUNE 4 is the tentative date in Asheville NC.

From Raleigh, I may be able to give people a ride up as well from other places depending on my car situation now. Stuck with a car that just died for good today, so we will see what I have then. But I know driving to Raleigh, then riding up with me would probably save people traveling from up north a good bit of gas since you have to essentially go through raleigh anyways before shooting west.

alright awesome!

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline billnye

• ability man
That's right before my exams, but senior year so who cares.

See y'all there!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild

alright awesome!

Thats a haul from DC. I drove it once, took about 8 or 9 hours i think out 66 through the corner of TN and back into NC. Its actually a bit longer if you come to Raleigh first but if you do i'm sure between LSB and me we will have a bed for ya.

That sucks man, let me know if you need any help. I worked on cars before computers. I have a few dealership hook ups around town if needed as well.

Adding 6/4/2016 to the calendar
-Dana

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

alright awesome!

Thats a haul from DC. I drove it once, took about 8 or 9 hours i think out 66 through the corner of TN and back into NC. Its actually a bit longer if you come to Raleigh first but if you do i'm sure between LSB and me we will have a bed for ya.

Yeah, I actually drive with the family every year to Hendersonville. Absolutely hate the drive, but I'm sure this would be worth it ;)

Offline engicoder

My car is relatively new, so you can ride with me. Plus I have tons of room for keyboards and . Also have room for two more GHers. I would ride with you, but I don't want to have to plan for 1 hour rest stops ;-)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

My car is relatively new, so you can ride with me. Plus I have tons of room for keyboards and . Also have room for two more GHers. I would ride with you, but I don't want to have to plan for 1 hour rest stops ;-)

I already know a GHer by the name of MrsSpeedBump will be tagging along with me  ;D And thanks for the offer! Very kind of you sir  :thumb:

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
This is 11 years too late. :P
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

that is why aeroplanes exist.  ^-^

Offline engicoder

You know you want to move back.  ;)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Yeah. We should do something this weekend. Maybe i can drag the misses out. Let me know what you guys think - stick with some Chinese dinner options... some FiveStar?
-Dana

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Pretty sure im pretty free this weekend actually. Can get a mini-nc+chinese meetup again.

Offline engicoder

I think I should be able to make it.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Pretty sure im pretty free this weekend actually. Can get a mini-nc+chinese+beer meetup again.

...fixed that for you  :thumb:
I'm free after 6p saturday, all day sunday i think.
-Dana

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Bumping this as it's getting to be that time where I'd like to allocate a few vacation days for the summer months. 

Does June 4th still work for most people?  Can we finalize a weekend to get things rolling and make some reservations, etc?  :cool:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Date works for me, might be able to make it down

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Bumping this as it's getting to be that time where I'd like to allocate a few vacation days for the summer months. 

Does June 4th still work for most people?  Can we finalize a weekend to get things rolling and make some reservations, etc?  :cool:

Yeah I think this is the prime weekend. I say we go ahead and say June 4th it is  :thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Re: North Carolina - NC Meetup Thread [Final Date: June 4th, Asheville]
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 18:41:56 »
Travelers and friends, if you need a place to stay for the weekend please PM me first. The Wife and I will more than likely be renting a cabin, and we can probably get a nice 10 person cabin for a weekend for a decent price, no more than a hotel for sure.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 18:58:21 »
Ew I have to drive and stay in a cabin with you all? I guess...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 19:12:33 »
Travelers and friends, if you need a place to stay for the weekend please PM me first. The Wife and I will more than likely be renting a cabin, and we can probably get a nice 10 person cabin for a weekend for a decent price, no more than a hotel for sure.

Oh that's ****ing sick...

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #294 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 19:41:24 »
Ew I have to drive and stay in a cabin with you all? I guess...

:-*

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 20:16:21 »
Just so everyone knows in case you want to coordinate:

My current plan is to leave WI on Weds June 1st at 11am CST which will put me in Asheville around 1am EST Thurs morning.  Then hang out and meetup throughout the weekend, and depart Asheville Mon June 6th at 8am EST which will get me back to WI around 8pm CST. 

I may shift that schedule by a day, leaving for NC on Thurs and returning to WI on Tues.  Still up in the air.

@CPTBadAss it will probably make sense for us to attempt to carpool since you're basically on my way.  If you have any input on the above tentative schedule, let me know.  :thumb:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #296 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 20:17:46 »
@CPTBadAss it will probably make sense for us to attempt to carpool since you're basically on my way.  If you have any input on the above tentative schedule, let me know.  :thumb:

I'm jealous of that road trip crew.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:26:51 »
I am planning on spending Fri/Sat night in Asheville. Those are also the nights we can rent cabins, etc. Meetup will obviously be Saturday, with Fri/Sat nights being perfect for sigh seeing, beer tours, record shopping, book stores, Moog Factory Tours, live shows, etc, etc.

If you are traveling and staying longer PM me and we will can discuss places to stay wherever we end up.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:36:01 »
Just so everyone knows in case you want to coordinate:

My current plan is to leave WI on Weds June 1st at 11am CST which will put me in Asheville around 1am EST Thurs morning.  Then hang out and meetup throughout the weekend, and depart Asheville Mon June 6th at 8am EST which will get me back to WI around 8pm CST. 

I may shift that schedule by a day, leaving for NC on Thurs and returning to WI on Tues.  Still up in the air.

Yeah I'm with that schedule. That exact schedule will be good for work as well.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #299 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 08:33:25 »
This guy is going to try to make it out. Just need to talk my mom into letting me use her car (I dont know if my car can make the 5hours or not [leaky headgasket]).