Author Topic: Hello from Canada!  (Read 1957 times)

Offline flyinggbuddha

Hello from Canada!
« on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:23:49 »
Hi all,

Been lurking on the IC and Group buy subforums forever...and reddit;

Finally joined this marvellous site that collects others just as obsessive and broke as I am about keyboards!

I guess having an account on here now won't help me save my money huh?  :rolleyes:

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from Canada!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 16:37:37 »
Hi flyinggbuddha. Welcome to Geekhack.

Having an account on here might save you money, because we can try to help talk you out of purchases.  :thumb:

Otherwise, nope, probably not. Prepare for massive credit card debt and repossessions.

Jokes aside, what switches have you tried? Which do you like?

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 18:41:12 »
Having an account on here might save you money, because we can try to help talk you out of purchases.  :thumb:

LOL

Offline flyinggbuddha

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 01:16:05 »

Otherwise, nope, probably not. Prepare for massive credit card debt and repossessions.

I've tried lubed tealios v2s and gathered browns.

I'm definitely part of the linear gang.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:30:02 »

Well, you did some research before you started. Most people meander through Cherry MX purgatory a few years before trying anything exceptional. You meant to say Gateron browns, I imagine? I haven't tried tealios (I'm a clicky guy), but I was pleasantly surprised by how unlike MX brown Gateron browns were.

Offline flyinggbuddha

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 11:34:04 »

Well, you did some research before you started. Most people meander through Cherry MX purgatory a few years before trying anything exceptional. You meant to say Gateron browns, I imagine? I haven't tried tealios (I'm a clicky guy), but I was pleasantly surprised by how unlike MX brown Gateron browns were.

My bad, I meant Gateron browns. And yes the cherry browns differ quite a bit. For some reason I lean toward no bump and no click.

I did have a corsair keyboard with cherry reds for the longest time. Built up a keyboard with the tealios v2 in the beginning of the year. Now I can't stop looking at group buys lol.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 11:55:24 »
My bad, I meant Gateron browns. And yes the cherry browns differ quite a bit. For some reason I lean toward no bump and no click.

I did have a corsair keyboard with cherry reds for the longest time. Built up a keyboard with the tealios v2 in the beginning of the year. Now I can't stop looking at group buys lol.

Have you tried any good clickies, to be able to say that for sure, like Kailh box jades? I don't really like most tactiles at all myself, so I could see if somebody tried only linears and tactiles that they might zero in entirely on linears.

How would you compare the MX reds to the tealios? Night and day, I imagine, even if MX linears are really their best category.

Offline flyinggbuddha

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:24:54 »

Have you tried any good clickies, to be able to say that for sure, like Kailh box jades? I don't really like most tactiles at all myself, so I could see if somebody tried only linears and tactiles that they might zero in entirely on linears.

How would you compare the MX reds to the tealios? Night and day, I imagine, even if MX linears are really their best category.

No I haven't had the opportunity any Kailhs or any good clickies for that matter. Definitely planning to get a sample pack in the future to test out options.

Big difference in stock MX reds and tealios. The telios has minimal wobble on downstroke and upstroke, so sound is almost nonexistent compared to the loud MX reds. When lubed the tealios feel like I'm typing on butter.

Tealios are much heavier than the MX reds, so if you prefer lighter switches you may want to switch out the stock springs the tealios come with to something lighter than 67g.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:30:29 »

No I haven't had the opportunity any Kailhs or any good clickies for that matter. Definitely planning to get a sample pack in the future to test out options.

Big difference in stock MX reds and tealios. The telios has minimal wobble on downstroke and upstroke, so sound is almost nonexistent compared to the loud MX reds. When lubed the tealios feel like I'm typing on butter.

Tealios are much heavier than the MX reds, so if you prefer lighter switches you may want to switch out the stock springs the tealios come with to something lighter than 67g.

I actually quite enjoy box navies, and those are pretty stiff. I think MX reds are too light. I don't like MX blacks though. For whatever reason heavy linears seem more tiring for most people than heavy clickies or tactiles. is the 67g the actuation force, or the bottom out? If it is bottom out, that should be a nice mid weight switch.

Offline flyinggbuddha

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:43:44 »

I actually quite enjoy box navies, and those are pretty stiff. I think MX reds are too light. I don't like MX blacks though. For whatever reason heavy linears seem more tiring for most people than heavy clickies or tactiles. is the 67g the actuation force, or the bottom out? If it is bottom out, that should be a nice mid weight switch.

Thats the bottom out.

Yes, its perfect - not too light so that I feel like I'm actually typing, and not too heavy so that I'm not tired out lol.