Author Topic: So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true  (Read 93476 times)

Offline Lu_e

Re: So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true *NEW UPDATE*
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 12:45:46 »
Nice review, but no mention of the changed layout as well? The box even shows the more standardized 1.25x mod keys xD

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 14:40:20 »
Nice review, but no mention of the changed layout as well? The box even shows the more standardized 1.25x mod keys xD

*facepalm*  of all of the things... thanks for the kind words, and especially for that observation.  In the future I won't miss something that ridiculously obvious >.<  Shows just how much I pay attention to the modifiers.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 21:14:03 »

*facepalm*  of all of the things... thanks for the kind words, and especially for that observation.  In the future I won't miss something that ridiculously obvious >.<  Shows just how much I pay attention to the modifiers.

lol it's ok it's still a very nice detailed review though.  Lots and lots of pictures  :D  Though I wish you took pictures of the new stabilizers they used lol  :(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline InAComaDial999

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:06:50 »
Kind of an old thread, I realize, but I happened to take some pics of the space bar stabilizers on my brand new Model S Professional with the media keys.  Pics here.

As you can see, they are Cherry stabilizers.  Long story short, my old Model S Professional that I bought in 2010 died on me, and DAS sent me a replacement.  I didn't like the feel of the space bar and decided to have a look to see if something was wrong.  Imagine my surprise when I saw what lurked under there.  From what I gather, the less crisp feel of the spacebar is normal with Cherry stabilizers.  Not really a fan of it, but other than that the keybord is OK, though I definitely preferred the original.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:10:33 by InAComaDial999 »
WASD V2 w/Browns | Ducky 9008G2 Pro PBT w/Clears | Filco Majestouch 2 w/Blues | Filco Ninja TKL w/Reds

Offline Hyde

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 09:44:42 »
Ahhhhhh this explains a lot.  I originally thought that they'd use the costar-like stabilizers found on the blackwidow.  But this makes more sense that it feels mushy because it's cherry stabilizer.

lol should ask them if they can send you a Das Ultimate instead (Costar).  Or sell it and buy a CM Storm XT when it comes out  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline InAComaDial999

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:19:51 »
I bought a Rosewill RK-9000 right after the original Das died, because I couldn't go back to the generic rubber dome spare I had in the closet.  I was going to keep the RK as a spare, but I figure if I don't get used to this in the next few days I'll switch back and keep the Das as a spare.  The space bar thing is not as jarring as I previously thought, and it isn't interfering with my typing, so I may stick with it after all.
WASD V2 w/Browns | Ducky 9008G2 Pro PBT w/Clears | Filco Majestouch 2 w/Blues | Filco Ninja TKL w/Reds

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 14:40:50 »
I like Cherry Stabilizers, like on my Poker. Maybe you could switch out the stabilizers from your old Das.
SmallFry! <3

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:45:25 »
Ugh. They're unlinked stabilizers. NOBODY likes unlinked Cherrys on the spacebar. Not even me. There's two different types of Cherry stabilizers that I've encountered. The "A" type are unlinked; you know, where you're stabilizing a small key like backspace, where the X axis anchoring keeps it from walking. The "B" type are linked or what I usually call 'plate mount' or 'hybrid' stabilizers. There's a metal rod usually mounted to the plate which links the stabilizer action so they move in sync. (Not surprisingly, Wyse PCET is a great example of the "B" type.) On lighter keys especially, the linking rod is pretty damn critical to ensuring the feel is right. Instead Das has pretty blatantly cheaped out hardcore by using no link rod.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:13:33 »
the inside of my review Das did not look like that.... seriously worried for this company.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:17:35 »
I am seriously LOLing at rootwyrm now. That is on par with TP4's claim that you have to unsolder all the switches on the board to replace 1 switch.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:24:03 »
I am seriously LOLing at rootwyrm now. That is on par with TP4's claim that you have to unsolder all the switches on the board to replace 1 switch.

Oh, because you're a complete and utter moron?
See attachment. You can shut your mouth now, monosyllabic simpleton. And kindly don't open it again.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:32:43 »
That's a PCB mounted stabilizer. It is still linked.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:33:43 »
Lovely board chow there.

I have never seen this sort before. Where does that stabilizer go, and/or come up topside again?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:26:17 »
Lovely board chow there.

I have never seen this sort before. Where does that stabilizer go, and/or come up topside again?

Innit though? Also love the yellowing. That's one of my Wyse PCET's - a 1986. The stabilizer is mounted to the PCB using through-hole, and the rod itself is anchored to the plate below the spacebar switch itself - I believe this one is front-lip anchor style.
Edit: oh yeah, probably should note part of that chow is rust, too. Give you an idea of how rough that board is. Switches are just fine though, not surprisingly. Heavy MX Blacks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:30:22 by rootwyrm »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:52:05 »
Dear rootwyrm, look closer at your supposedly "unlinked" stabilizers, and you'll find a stabilizer wire in there too.

I doubt that PCB mount stabilizer you pictured is mounted to the plate. It looks like it is just a PCB mount stabilizer mounted under a plate.

Offline cooklaw2

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 13:35:04 »
[quote author=macguy80 link=topic=35375.msg758403#msg758403 date=1357585528]
I recently got the media key version (made in china) and was able to compare it to a friends costar (made in taiwan). Both were Profession Model S with brown switches.

There is definitely significant difference between the 2 keyboards. The quality of the new version is unsatisfactory.

I'll refer to the newer media key version as "china" and previous model "costar"

The differences noticed while comparing the two were:
-china model has a resonating sound when keys are pressed. Very noticeable and annoying.
-costar larger keys (such as shift, bs, enter) are more fluid/smooth than china version.
-in general the costar keyboard just felt better to type on.
[/size][/size]

For me, anyway, that settles it. Das is off my list. What a shame.

If I am one day in the market for a used Das, is it safe to say that I would get a Costar board as long as I get one that lacks a Fn key? Or were there earlier revs that were also subpar? (that might be harder to distinguish from a 2008 Costar board?)
[/quote]

Canada Computers and Amazon.ca both still have the Co-star Professional.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:24:42 »
No body believed me

Sounded pretty legit to me when I saw the post over at OCN.

It's sad to see them go. I would have been even more sad if they were making TKL boards. I love my TKL Filco.
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:04:34 »
i've had to have my taiwanese das replaced for the 2nd time as another key died in under 3 months
i've now got one of the dreaded chinese models

the key clicks seem much hollower than the old one and i'm not a fan of the symmetrical bottom row
i keep hitting the fn key when i'm going for the windows / ctrl key but thats just something i'll get used to i suppose

what i'm really hoping for is a > 3 month usage without keys dieing on this one
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 13:23:49 »
One thing I never understand is how come people have such bad luck with keys dying on them.

I use keyboards for years (and I use them everyday as part of work and life) without any problems. In three decades, never had something die on me under two years.

Does this have anything to do with the usage pattern/ eg gamers hammer a lot on a few keys?

i've had to have my taiwanese das replaced for the 2nd time as another key died in under 3 months
i've now got one of the dreaded chinese models

the key clicks seem much hollower than the old one and i'm not a fan of the symmetrical bottom row
i keep hitting the fn key when i'm going for the windows / ctrl key but thats just something i'll get used to i suppose

what i'm really hoping for is a > 3 month usage without keys dieing on this one
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline chewyfruitloop

Re: So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:09:21 »
i noticed the dead 4 on my first one because i use it a lot in starcraft
f8 died because i use it a lot at work for stepping through code

afaik, a cherry cap has ~50 million key press life, to get to that you would have to hit it 95 times a minute, 24 hours a day for a full year
admittedly you could get less or more than 50 mill, but you wouldn't expect < 3 months life out of any keyboard

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:51:42 »
I have the das ultimate anyhow, so im set :D

Offline littlenoises

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:17:09 »
I've just signed up here after reading this thread because my Das seems to be a somewhat odd model.
I've got the media keys, but, interestingly no Windows-key on the left side, also the label clearly says "made in Taiwan"
Could it be that my keyboard was made shortly before the manufacturer switch or something like that? Maybe someone here with better knowledge can help me out?

Also, please excuse the scratches, it's been used quite a bit by now :)

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 07:06:24 »
well you seem to have a weird one there
afaik the media keys only came out in the last year
it looks like you have an old board with retro fitted keycaps...which seems to be the plausible reason for those keys

Offline littlenoises

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:56:53 »
That could probably be it, thanks for the input.
That's certainly weird, the Das was purchased in August 2010 from an authorized German reseller... but hey, having non-standard equipment always is nice :)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:29:28 »
If my memory served me right, I think they had a Costar made ones with volume control.....etc originally, then later on switch to without any secondary function, then finally when they switched OEM we get media edition (current one).

So I think you had the original batch one but good thing is that it's made by Costar I believe.

EDIT:  According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Keyboard it seems like you have the Professional edition.  Which had some minor hardware issue but then later on they fixed it and came out with Professional S edition.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:32:20 by Hyde »

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:27:22 »
Ughhhh... I threw up when I saw the new space bar and keycaps quality...

New:

Old:

Why Das Keyboard, why? I used to love you guys and now you've proved to me that your keyboards are now just as bad if now worse than a bloody Razer Blackwidow! WHY?!?!

I love my Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent soo much and I even fixed its biggest problem and even made it look badass... Why can't Metadot do things right?  :(

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:31:02 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:31:05 »
lol what the extra stem for?  Also I guess it's a bit more curved because of lens distortion from camera.

EDIT:  As for the gloss surface, I kind of like what Razer did with their 2013 edition.  The matte black finish feels quite nice actually, Das should've done that too  :P

24489-0

Source:  Custom PC Review
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:37:24 by Hyde »

Offline hrombaba

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:17:13 »
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm going to order my first mechanical keyboard and I decided to order Das Keyboard. I was decided for Profesional S. I can type without looking to my keyboard, but sometimes I'm looking for some special character and don't know where exactly is. But after reading this I'm pretty sure that I'll order Ultimate version rather than Proffesional.

I'm interested if the Ultimate version is still made in Taiwan or not? It's been a while since last post in this thread and I don't know if there is anything new?

Thanx

Offline Hyde

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 21:30:52 »
Yeah I'm not too sure if they ran out of old stock on the Ultimate yet.  Overall geekhack people aren't too big on Das Keyboard in general so we don't get much update on it.

What switch are you looking for?  Because at the current moment it sounds like QuickFire Rapid/QuickFire XT or WASD V2 would be better options.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 04:46:08 »
What switch are you looking for?  Because at the current moment it sounds like QuickFire Rapid/QuickFire XT or WASD V2 would be better options.

Yeah, but they are exactly available in Central Europe. In fact, only QFR is... with only linear switches though.

Offline hrombaba

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 10:05:14 »
DK Ultimate came today. Confirmed! It's still made in Taiwan. It feels so nice in my hands. I fell in love with it just in minute of using it!

Purchased in German shop http://www.getdigital.de/

Just now I'm waiting for my ordered red o-rings from wasd and some color key caps.

Thanx davkol for his help in czech forum :-)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 10:30:54 »
Enjoy.

Offline jangozo

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 18:42:41 »
DK Ultimate came today. Confirmed! It's still made in Taiwan. It feels so nice in my hands. I fell in love with it just in minute of using it!

Just now I'm waiting for my ordered red o-rings from wasd and some color key caps.

Sure it's made in Taiwan but until somebody opens theirs to check the circuit board, nothing's for sure I'm afraid. I've got an Ultimate directly from Das Keyboards early this month also made in Taiwan and the space bar feel is uneven. Pressing the left side of the space bar feels much sturdier than when I press the right side which makes me think I'll find the same thing wetto found underneath.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 18:44:24 by jangozo »
Poker 2 (Cherry MX Brown)
Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate (Cherry MX Brown) - SOLD

Offline Hyde

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 20:54:03 »
I think if it says it's made in Taiwan then for the most part you're safe.  As for the uneven spacebar, maybe check to see if the stabilizer wire is straight and sits properly.

I think even Costar make defects from time to time.  But yeah pop open your spacebar and check.

Follow this guide:

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 21:23:14 »

Sure it's made in Taiwan but until somebody opens theirs to check the circuit board, nothing's for sure I'm afraid. I've got an Ultimate directly from Das Keyboards early this month also made in Taiwan and the space bar feel is uneven. Pressing the left side of the space bar feels much sturdier than when I press the right side which makes me think I'll find the same thing wetto found underneath.

You should take a picture of the spacebar

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline jangozo

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 03:34:51 »
I guess the Ultimates are still fine. :)

However, I couldn't find what was wrong with the stabilizers. I inspected them and everything seemed normal but when I put the space bar back it was just like before (left side stable, right side noisy and wobbly).
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2013, 03:48:34 by jangozo »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 03:58:20 »
The stabalizers look thinner on the left side

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline jangozo

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 04:12:33 »
The stabalizers look thinner on the left side

Maybe it's the bad quality but I checked and they look equally thin to me. I even swapped them and it had no effect. I noticed something else, the metal piece isn't even. See how on the left side, the metal bar is touching the plastic and resting nicely but the right side isn't touching anything. I tried bending it to align them but it just wouldn't align.

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 04:13:40 »
Check this out. Is it robots running the Das Keyboard helpdesk?

Quality is at the forefront of everything we do at Das Keyboard. Our goal is to create the best keyboard and the only way to do that is to put quality first. In 2012, we made a significant investment in additional factories to meet expanding demand and have carefully chosen additional manufacturers who reflect the same level of quality we have always stood for. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to send us a message over at Das Keyboard and we’d be happy to address them.

Quote from: March 2014 response from Das Keyboard helpdesk
Thank you for contacting us. Quality is at the forefront of everything we do at Das Keyboard. Our goal is to create the best keyboard and the only way to do that is to put quality first. In 2012, we made a significant investment in additional factories to meet expanding demand. Although we cannot disclose our manufacturing partners, we have carefully chosen additional manufacturers who reflect the same level of quality we have always stood for. Our Ultimate models are manufactured in Taiwan and our Professional models are manufactured in China.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Either a big coincidence, or they've been using the same standard response for 2 years now.

Or robots..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 04:59:38 »
Maybe they just run a patched version of the Corporate Bull**** Generator.