Author Topic: Dying Topre PBT keycaps specific colors  (Read 3946 times)

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
Dying Topre PBT keycaps specific colors
« on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:39:41 »
Hi all, I have a Leo FC660C with the white alphas and gray mods. I've seen the dying guides, but I haven't really seen anything on how to make specific colors such as cyan with two colors. I know (roughly) that it's just a mix of green and blue, but I was hoping that someone who'd done this color before or something similar can share their "recipe" I suppose. I think I'll be using iDye poly, unless there are better ones out there.

Also - has anyone ever dyed the grey modifiers into something other than black? I know you can only really dye it darker colors, but I haven't seen any pictures with darker keycaps. Thanks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Dying Topre PBT keycaps specific colors
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 09:04:10 »
Not a direct answer, but post #14 here is pretty useful:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35444.msg664178#msg664178
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:45:14 »
Checkout /u/crj3012 on Reddit as he does custom dye topre caps.
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline menuhin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 16:07:43 »
Hi all, I have a Leo FC660C with the white alphas and gray mods. I've seen the dying guides, but I haven't really seen anything on how to make specific colors such as cyan with two colors. I know (roughly) that it's just a mix of green and blue, but I was hoping that someone who'd done this color before or something similar can share their "recipe" I suppose. I think I'll be using iDye poly, unless there are better ones out there.

Also - has anyone ever dyed the grey modifiers into something other than black? I know you can only really dye it darker colors, but I haven't seen any pictures with darker keycaps. Thanks.

That will be lots of experimentation.
I've seen usually only dyed light keycap set of HHKB, not the dark grey keycap set (if that is what you're talking about).
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 16:41:18 »
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I actually dyed it purple and it turned out great!

Offline turnip_broker

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 14:12:54 »
Old post I know, but OP, do you have any photos of the result? I have some HiPros in the mail and was thinking about doing the same...