Author Topic: Apple IIgs / Apple IIc Stepped PBT's!!!  (Read 4042 times)

Offline rhubarbpi

• ALPS ORANGIQUE / SALMONIQUE
Apple IIgs / Apple IIc Stepped PBT's!!!
« on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 15:49:06 »

(generic pic of them from internet - do not have geekhack attached to mobile yet! lol)

I gotta say - after getting the Apple IIgs / Alps Orange board last week, I cannot get over how badass these stepped PBT dye subs are.
Absolutely massive 2mm + thickness, the feeling as you jam on them are pretty magnificent.

Why did no other maker after ever attempt this keycap style?
I can tell you If I get another Alps board I would try to get replacements via an Apple IIc donor board to outfit them.
That being said I know the oblique Apple font is kind of divisive, myself I don't have issues with it at all.

:thumb:

*daily drivers*

Apple AEK - #{Alps Orange}
Apple M0116 - #{Alps Salmon}
Apple M0110A - #{Alps Tall Cream}
Apple AEKII - #{Alps Dampened Cream}
Apple IIgs - #{Alps Orange}

- all powered by tinkerBoy Converters :D

Offline Riverman

Re: Apple IIgs / Apple IIc Stepped PBT's!!!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 14:47:33 »
Those are pretty great keycaps.  They remind me of modern chiclet keys, but sculpted.  My middle school had several IIGS computers with those keyboards, and I bought one years later to use an old Mac.  Unfortunately it's pretty yellowed and has a school district's name melted into the top case.

Offline shallot

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 05:07:50 »
Yeah, I absolutely love these caps - they feel wonderful, nice and solid and thocky. Unfortunately, bit of an arse to use them with almost anything else due to Apple rotating all the switches 90° in the top row. Apple IIc caps are your only option really, but they are totally flat profile, which equally sucks

Offline rhubarbpi

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 15:12:39 »
They have me spoiled for real!
I TRIED going back to my other boards today and within minutes I was reconnecting the Apple IIgs lol.

That being said I have an AEK coming in Monday and of course will have to give it a look over.
They have equally thick non stepped PBTs and I'm sure they will please.

Still, the charms of this IIgs are many.  Such a unique board, plus I can't get over the full size yet compact form factor (Basically a 75).
I wish 65-75% keyboard makers would look for inspiration in this design!
*daily drivers*

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 16:15:42 »
I wasn't the biggest fan of the Apple II, as I wasn't exposed to them much in daily life, but the keyboards were excellent.

Someone should bring those keycaps back, but the profile may be copyrighted or something.

Offline rhubarbpi

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 08:08:50 »
I wasn't the biggest fan of the Apple II, as I wasn't exposed to them much in daily life, but the keyboards were excellent.

Someone should bring those keycaps back, but the profile may be copyrighted or something.

Before I got the IIgs, I was skeptical how the caps would feel even though I thought they looked super awesome.
They ended up *feeling* just as awesome.  Your fingers tend to naturally situate themselves in the small spherical concave of each cap & the PBT texture itself is grippy yet smooth.

Perhaps they are an Apple copyright & with many other manufacturers moving away from stepped caps in general, they just didn't follow it up.  I could also see the argument on how well they would really translate on an AEK size board. Maybe the smaller form factor here suits them extremely well!

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 July 2020, 08:11:17 by rhubarbpi »
*daily drivers*