Author Topic: New Space Bar for XArmor U9-Plus  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Blackhawk19

New Space Bar for XArmor U9-Plus
« on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 21:11:48 »
New here, just getting into this expensive keyboard hobby...lol.

I recently bought a XArmor U9-Plus and am looking to change some of the keycaps.  I realize that there are a lot of negative reviews for the keyboard, but I got it for several features that were present on the same board rather than having to give up 1-2 features on other boards.  Done again, I would get a different board, but I'm already committed to this board.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to enable the backlights, and at this point, I'm kind of thinking I won't (although that was the initial plan and I have the technical knowledge to do so).  Instead of enabling the BL, I'd like to go with blank keycaps all over.  The problem with this is that the space bar is slightly smaller than most keycap manufacturers make (same layout as the blackwidow with the 1x1 windows keys and menu key and 1.5 ctrl and alt keys).

I've seen several people asking about the space bar for blackwidow, but haven't seen any responses for whether it is available from any manufacturer specifically.  The space bar is the only key that it appears I cannot order the correct size.

TL;DR - Does anyone know where I can find a blank space bar for the XArmor U9-Plus?  The physical dimensions of top of the space bar are 4.25" x 0.5625"

Apologies if this is answered somewhere, I've tried the search function as well as looking through several pages of recent posts.

Offline Triscuithead

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 21:51:20 »
Sooo, I'm checking out that wiki and I'm still not seeing where to buy a new space bar for the keyboard.  Also, I've been browsing google for 20 minutes and can't find anything there either.  Any luck op?  I have the u9BL and I broke one of the tiny little white plastic things under the space bar that holds the space bar to the little metal rod.  This little white plastic piece is also removable, I'm wondering if I were to buy a new space bar would it even come with these little white harness pieces?  I would LOVE some help.  :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:17:17 »
Stabilizer insert is easy, and all you really need. Still nowhere stock that size of space bar I know of...

Offline Human

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:31:35 »
@TS

The spacebar should be exact 6x modifiers long, which is a little rare compared the most often used standard out there in market, 6.25x modifiers.

You can try to get them from junk Cherry G80-11900 or other similar board.

If not, order a new Razer BW and steal the spacebar from it and sell the remaining board or make it into spare parts.

BTW, can you confirm with me if there is some sort of sticker paper inserted in the stem like Razer BWU do?
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:33:43 by Human »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:41:53 »
Im looking for a whole set for my U9W http://tinyurl.com/18r I think older cherry sets should work but im not 100% sure and would be interested in other ideas.

Offline Triscuithead

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 00:56:27 »
@lysol:  yes!!!! That's exactly what I need, thanks a ton. So glad someone understood wtf I was talking about.

@Human: Thanks for the info, I figured it must be rare because this thread was literally the only thing I could come up with on google.  As far as any for of sticker paper...my space bar has no form of sticker paper in or around it, and I did buy this new.  Is that what you mean by stem?  I'm somewhat of a mechanical keyboard noob, but hopeful enthusiast.  If your more specific I'd love to tear this thing apart and let you know, space bar is what you were referring to then the only components related to the space bar in this board are the key, little metal bar, stabilizer inserts, and the little plastic pieces holding the metal bar to the keyboard.  And of course the switch.

Thanks a ton for the quick replies, so stoked this was actually a very easy fix.

Offline Human

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 07:41:54 »
Quote from: Triscuithead;539883
@lysol:  yes!!!! That's exactly what I need, thanks a ton. So glad someone understood wtf I was talking about.

@Human: Thanks for the info, I figured it must be rare because this thread was literally the only thing I could come up with on google.  As far as any for of sticker paper...my space bar has no form of sticker paper in or around it, and I did buy this new.  Is that what you mean by stem?  I'm somewhat of a mechanical keyboard noob, but hopeful enthusiast.  If your more specific I'd love to tear this thing apart and let you know, space bar is what you were referring to then the only components related to the space bar in this board are the key, little metal bar, stabilizer inserts, and the little plastic pieces holding the metal bar to the keyboard.  And of course the switch.

Thanks a ton for the quick replies, so stoked this was actually a very easy fix.

The "stems" are the thing under the keycaps that are plugged into the "X" of switches.

Just FYI, I met such assumption as Xarmor and Razer BWU are both from iOne, and I found the stickers in the stems of the spacebar(where the plastic pieces being put in). It is probably due to the default platic pieces are too short and thus they adding the sticker to give it a firmer grip onto the stems.

Offline Blackhawk19

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 12:40:40 »
I actually RMA'd my XArmor about 2 weeks after this post for several defects including the space bar on my XArmor sticking on the upswing at least once every 4 keypresses--something which I probably could have lived with, but with the amount of problems I've read about the XArmor I just decided to get rid of it and go with a Filco.

I never took the inserts out of the XArmor for fear of the stems breaking--the center stem was already cracked (in addition to several other key stems on the same board).  The only solutions I found for getting a new spacebar were buying an old Razor as suggested or attempting to find an obscure, parted out old cherry board.

No offense to Ripster as he does have a lot of useful information, but his response really didn't solve my problem.  Posting a wiki that tells me that my XArmor spacebar is in-fact an XArmor spacebar doesn't really help solve the original problem.  I suspect post count boosting (not that he needs more posts), but I know better than to start anything with Ripster :P