Author Topic: [IC] DCS Alps-mount WoB keycaps (taken over, new link in OP)  (Read 64450 times)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
Re: [IC] DCS Alps-mount WoB keycaps
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 13:13:42 »
No love for classic beige? Not really a fan of how WoB or BoW look in DCS.

actually ya i meant i'd do classic beige, not BoW. i don't care for BoW either

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 13:58:06 »
A couple of folks have already requested "Raise" and "Lower" keys for the 40% kit. I'd like to second that motion!

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 17:11:19 »
Hope this is the classic 'Wyse' DCS font, the 'almost Cherry' font is too thick on the sets I've seen.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 17:39:28 »
Hope this is the classic 'Wyse' DCS font, the 'almost Cherry' font is too thick on the sets I've seen.

As cool as that would be, I'd be surprised if SP has those legends available.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 19:12:12 »

The most recent grab bag I've gotten from them has a healthy selection of keys with the OG font, but most of them are white on black or black on beige for commercial cash registers and the like.

The DCS Wyse adapter kits that are also in IC right make use of those legends as well, so (despite the new 'cherry' legends being "better") they seem to keep the old ones around (so many custom legends for different languages and systems that commercial customers don't want to pay to remake I guess?).

In fact the DCS Yuri renders used it too I think (text instead of icon + text, but the font is the OG one). So somehow the older font has text only mods now too?  :cool:

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 06:40:26 »

The most recent grab bag I've gotten from them has a healthy selection of keys with the OG font, but most of them are white on black or black on beige for commercial cash registers and the like.

The DCS Wyse adapter kits that are also in IC right make use of those legends as well, so (despite the new 'cherry' legends being "better") they seem to keep the old ones around (so many custom legends for different languages and systems that commercial customers don't want to pay to remake I guess?).

In fact the DCS Yuri renders used it too I think (text instead of icon + text, but the font is the OG one). So somehow the older font has text only mods now too?  8)

The OG DCS legends are just Gorton Modified moved to the top left corner of the keys, and AFAIK it's the default font SP will use on DCS. The Cherry replica legends were paid for by the community to make OG Cherry style sets before GMK started producing keycaps.

Text mods do exist (DCS Percent used them not too long ago, but older sets like DCS Hyperfuse used them too), as do icon only mods (DCS Icon SoWaRe, OTD Red Alert)
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 08:48:02 »

In fact the DCS Yuri renders used it too I think (text instead of icon + text, but the font is the OG one). So somehow the older font has text only mods now too?  8)

The OG DCS legends are just Gorton Modified moved to the top left corner of the keys, and AFAIK it's the default font SP will use on DCS. The Cherry replica legends were paid for by the community to make OG Cherry style sets before GMK started producing keycaps.

Text mods do exist (DCS Percent used them not too long ago, but older sets like DCS Hyperfuse used them too), as do icon only mods (DCS Icon SoWaRe, OTD Red Alert)

Yup I'm also dead wrong  ;D. DCS Percent has the original legends and it's sitting right in front of me. Also that's my Wyse IC so it's not like I didn't know this already  :confused:
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Jacob4341

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 21:04:16 »
hhkb and aek bottom row in the base kit should be a must.  I'm in for this, whatever colorway is decided on.  Personally I'd prefer BOW > WOB > Beige.

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 00:30:17 »
100% in on all the Alps sets. MX stabs are perfectly fine with me  :thumb:

Offline helborne

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 21:11:01 »
In!

Offline Hapi

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 16:31:02 »
yes pls. and R3 1.75 function keycap would be nice :)

Offline LoneRegiment

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 05:51:35 »
yes pls. and R3 1.75 function keycap would be nice :)
I second this, also very excited

Offline segami

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 05:18:57 »
Definitely in for this and 9009.

Offline Hapi

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 05:34:32 »
What about PBT as ALPS throwback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline equalunique

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 13:11:19 »
Maybe it's time SP offered R4C for small non-standard space keys. If it were done for this Alps set first, it could boost the popularity of this IC, future SP Alps ICs, and perhaps Alps as a whole.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Jacob4341

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 14:49:48 »
Any update on when this will be ran?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 15:26:25 »
Any update on when this will be ran?

havent had much of a chance to work on kits. hopefully can soon ish and get that info over to SP for some quotations!

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 05:34:08 »
Interested

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2020, 08:42:44 by Lil »

Offline keyboardcircle

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 14:29:31 »
BoW please.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 20:51:15 »

Offline mode

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 02:47:29 »
1u blanks for each row would be very much appreciated from this uk mac layout user.

R4 ‘~ and R3 \| I would love, but I’ll accept blanks for those keys.

Offline Merfolk

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 02:07:15 »
Could you include a R3 Cap Lock with a 1.50/1.75 primary/secondary width and the stem centered on 1.5 that will work with the Dell AT101?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 08:21:29 »
wtb non alps version after this runs

Offline jrs

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 09:38:13 »

Offline littleairbison

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 15:21:51 »
any update on this awesome and much-needed set for Alps lovers? xD

Offline celta

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 23:20:38 »
Down for this set and seconding the request for a BoW alps set.

Offline Vox_Reticuli

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 18:33:32 »
any updates? My wallet is ready!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 22:20:11 »
Hi update city

Legends will be the DCS Cherry style, as seen on DCS Midnight: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-midnight-keyset/

Kits redone. couple of questions, which I will leave for after:

Questions:

-Break numpad out? due to SP's lower MOQs per kit it would likely be made regardless.
-Full on international kit?
-ISO UK good enough?
-Any keys in the 40s/small kit needed?

Offline helborne

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 22:36:14 »
Would you be open to doing blanks too? I don't know if that would help drive down the per key cost though.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 22:40:25 »
I wouldn't split the numpad, because it'd be nice to use this set, maybe to replace the keysets on nice Alps vintage boards out there =)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 23:51:54 »
Would you be open to doing blanks too? I don't know if that would help drive down the per key cost though.

nahh if i'm gonna do it may as well do it full-assed

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 00:31:54 »
Liking the kits as they are, only thing I'd change would be adding a second B to spacebars, but I'm not sure how many people are really planning on doing ALPS alice layouts so understand if that's left out. I'll be buying everything except ISO regardless.

Which spacebars in the spacebar kit are convex?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 01:06:46 »
Liking the kits as they are, only thing I'd change would be adding a second B to spacebars, but I'm not sure how many people are really planning on doing ALPS alice layouts so understand if that's left out. I'll be buying everything except ISO regardless.

Which spacebars in the spacebar kit are convex?

second B is on the list!

I believe only keys 4.5u and up are convex. the rest will be concave blanks. https://www.solutionsinplastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DCSFamily.pdf

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 01:17:38 »
Can probably strip the 40s kit down somewhat, considering that all those 1u keys are "cosmetic" for ortho users, rather than functionally necessary like the > 1u keys. Then again this is SP so maybe you can just split it into a 40s kit and an ortho kit depending on pricing and MOQs. Or just leave it all in because maybe ortho people will be excited to use this on their Alps Planck or something.

Offline mode

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 01:30:05 »
I would really appreciate a blank kit, a couple for each row to fill in for unusual layouts. A small kit would let you buy multiple if you want more blanks, just as long as you get each row.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 10:14:40 »
I have some doubleshot JP NEXT keycaps that have dumb-sized mods... I'd love to be able to use mods from this to get standard usability with the awesome alphas!

EDIT:
To answer some of your questions:
I don't need a numpad, and would always appreciate a cheaper base kit.

Indifferent indifferent bla bla

Having some alps 40's keys would be super awesome to cover some of those weird boards that you aren't sure why they have alps support because no standard keysets fit them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2020, 14:30:06 by vewy_nice »

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:20:04 »
Really loving the kit and would be happy if it rolled out the way it is.  :cool:

Can't wait to see how this looks on my Alps board!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:46:35 »
I would really appreciate a blank kit, a couple for each row to fill in for unusual layouts. A small kit would let you buy multiple if you want more blanks, just as long as you get each row.

true, i'm not sure what offerings SP has for alps-mount blanks as far as their in-stock options go but I can ask Melissa.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 14:31:34 »
Can probably strip the 40s kit down somewhat, considering that all those 1u keys are "cosmetic" for ortho users, rather than functionally necessary like the > 1u keys. Then again this is SP so maybe you can just split it into a 40s kit and an ortho kit depending on pricing and MOQs. Or just leave it all in because maybe ortho people will be excited to use this on their Alps Planck or something.

I don't quite understand what your are saying, but the kit is already fairly minimal. As for the "cosmetic" keys, why would I put incorrect legends on my ortho board if I'm spending $100 plus on keycaps? Especially since this is a neutral color. If I didn't care for correct legends I might as well buy any Alps set and just use that. It likely will be a lot cheaper than $100 too.

Please don't take any keys out of the 40s kit.

Offline Vox_Reticuli

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 14:33:08 »
I'd like to see a 1.75 Backspace and a 1.5 Enter on the 40s kit for V4n4g0n support.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 19:29:55 »
R2 1.5u backspace in 40s doesn’t seem necessary seeing as to how it’s in base already

Edit: if you’re adding a second B to spacebars you should probably add a 2u spacebar there too since quite a lot of Alice layouts use that
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2020, 19:32:58 by ttom »
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:12:55 »
R2 1.5u backspace in 40s doesn’t seem necessary seeing as to how it’s in base already

Edit: if you’re adding a second B to spacebars you should probably add a 2u spacebar there too since quite a lot of Alice layouts use that

oh yea tru will adjust the backspace. reminded me that I updated the legends on the 40s kit and not the base kit to have two-line Back Space. thanks!

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 14:55:20 »
looking forward to this GB, I need those standard mods to use fancy JP keycaps :)

Offline Jacob4341

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 16:53:15 »
Hyped for this. Going to use this as an excuse to rebuild my SKCM brown alps board... (I want to change layout  ;) )

Offline equalunique

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 17:06:34 »
I'd like that there are spacebar and 40s kits, but honestly, regular R4 small space keys are kinda painful to use compared to R4C or even DSA. I know the molds don't exist at SP. It would be amazing if they did tho - I'd be way more of a DCS fan.

Speaking of special row profiles, did you consider DCS R0/R5? SP has molds for those, and NN was what they were last offered in AFAIK.

Offline Skelig

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 16:00:24 »
This GB looks amazing. I need ISO Alps in my life.

Offline BlueeQ

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 06:03:11 »
Very much excited for this, really wanting some more variation in terms of alps caps and I wish more were available :)

Offline Th3rav4ger

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 11:39:34 »
Im very down for this, the struggle with Alps isn't finding the switch it's finding good keycaps. :'(

Offline Jacob4341

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 18:33:54 »
Im very down for this, the struggle with Alps isn't finding the switch it's finding good keycaps. :'(

This is so true! I plan on using this set to fix compatibility issues with my vintage sets like IBM 5140, NEC 8801, or Cannon Hipros.