Author Topic: 3 keys dead after switch swap  (Read 2803 times)

Offline didjamatic

3 keys dead after switch swap
« on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 09:26:19 »
I just did a full switch swap of Dampened ALPS from an AEKII into a Geek Hack Space Saver (SIIG Minitouch) so I could use it at work where you can hear a pin drop and they are tiring of my very loud clicks and shenanigans.  

Did the full swap and all but 3 keys work.  E, D, C are dead.  Replaced all 3 switches, still dead.  

2 share 1 common land, the other does not.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, I know I have some flux to cleanup and some soldering could be prettier.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 09:57:27 »
I suspect there is a bridge on the other side of the PCB where I've drawn a dotted red line here:

That would put all 3 switches in the same line, and there might be a break where I've drawn the circle.

I don't think there is static damage to the IC, or more than 3 keys would be affected.

Do you have a multimeter? Using one to check that there is an electrical connection where there should be would help isolate the problem quickly. Buy a cheap one if you have to, you don't need anything fancy, just one that measures resistance.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 11:31:53 »
I had done a full switch swap, I didn't swap any of the ALPS internals.

Raj, you were dead on, there is a bridge where you thougth there was and there was a break exactly where you thought there was.  The break was just below the circled terminal and must have happened when i was removing a switch that still had some solder on a terminal that pulled part of the trace from the edge of the hole.  At first I was going to do a very short repair so I scraped some of the trace to do that but decided to add a wire going to another terminal and it's working perfectly.  In fact, I'm typing on it now.

Thanks a ton!  Now my neighbors in silent rubber dome land can work in peace and quiet... for now. :)

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 14:59:02 »
Total about 2.5 hours.  I'll post photos later.

Offline Harry_Y

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 16:40:18 »
How I fix a trace:

1. Scrape the coating off the trace to get to bare copper

2. Use a short piece of wire to bridge the gap and solder in place.

3. Coat the area with Nail polish (I usually use clear)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 18:41:05 »
Yeah that can happen with minitouches cause the pcb's aren't very robust, so careful with that. Glad you got it solved.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx