Author Topic: What Is Your Internet Speed?  (Read 67833 times)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: What Is Your Internet Speed?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 15:31:34 »
I guess this is ok
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 15:31:44 »
Here is my wifi home speed, currently not paying anything O:
Show Image

is it state owned?
Yes, Stockholms Stadsnät basically means the net of the city. They installed fiber in a bunch of locations :)
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 15:57:38 »
I guess this is ok
Show Image

Forkælede svenskere!
If only there was fiber in my part of the city :S
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 16:04:19 by Frenir »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 16:10:10 »
Sometimes I really, really, really wish I worked out of our office in NY tho :(

Show Image

:eek: wtf is that speed and ping !

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 08:53:40 »

Show Image

LOL, gg all.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 08:55:53 »

Show Image

bought the engagement ring already
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 12:55:03 »
lol... No way am I moving to Manhattan (or around there) with a kid. Waaaaaay too expensive.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 13:11:54 »

Show Image

LOL, gg all.

Internet pipe works the same way as water pipes..     it's only super fast if everyone has the same pipe..

Offline badboybry9000

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 13:34:10 »
I'm really jealous of some of you. Here is Comcast "Business Class" where I work:

Comcast residential is even slower.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 00:34:43 »
Why can't the people with fast internet leave their networks open?  :(

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 01:33:01 »

Show Image

People who care enough to have fast internet know how to put a password on their wifi?

Alternately, people who leave their wifi open get so much traffic there isn't much to go around.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:53:06 »

Show Image

People who care enough to have fast internet know how to put a password on their wifi?

Alternately, people who leave their wifi open get so much traffic there isn't much to go around.

they have GBe now for $50/month in some areas...

It's VERY VERY hard to max out one of those...

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 17:14:23 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 17:16:09 by tigersharkdude »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 01:15:03 »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline UnlikeAny

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:26:44 »
Don't want to embarrass myself with current one, but before I moved I had a good one. 100 Mb/s download speed, but I don't remember upload. No one seemed to mention how much they pay for it. I payed 11.8$ or 7.02 GBP per month. I wonder if it's cheap or not.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:37:28 »
Don't want to embarrass myself with current one, but before I moved I had a good one. 100 Mb/s download speed, but I don't remember upload. No one seemed to mention how much they pay for it. I payed 11.8$ or 7.02 GBP per month. I wonder if it's cheap or not.

most of the US is monopolized by Comcast and they charge exorbitant rates, I pay like $60/month

Offline UnlikeAny

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:47:53 »

most of the US is monopolized by Comcast and they charge exorbitant rates, I pay like $60/month

0_0 .... Dear god. We can easily get 500 Mb/s for 27.66$ from the biggest ISP. Some other providers even offer it for cheaper. I've heard before that Lithuania has very cheap and good internet, but never though that it was that much better.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:08:31 »

haha that isnt even bad compare to how much im paying to cox and I get about same download/upload speed as you. MURICA NUMBER 1

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:21:06 »
I pay $70/mo for 75mbps down and 5mbps up  :rolleyes:

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline iri

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 10:36:03 »
i pay $12 a month and don't give a ****.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 10:46:41 »
i pay $12 a month and don't give a ****.

gg

Offline iri

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 11:02:41 »
Eh?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 11:57:42 »
Have you ever been so mad with your internet you build your own one?

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 14:41:21 »
Have you ever been so mad with your internet you build your own one?

Show Image

A few friends of mine live in a village on the outside of the town I live in - I've just shown this to them because they all hate how slow their internet connection is because the exchange for where they live is really old - It *is* unlikely that they will build their own one, but none the less - it would improve their speeds and be really awesome at the same time.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 14:44:08 »

AMERICA
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 15:06:42 »

Offline iri

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 19:09:23 »
sorry, 'murica.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:09:05 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:24:52 »
sorry, 'murica.

'MURICA

Show Image

MY internet SUXxxxxxxxx

I'l never be able to steal movies as fast as -tigersharkdude-

Offline iri

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:28:07 »
oh, that's so sad.

i downloaded the whole "true detective" (tv series), second season of "dexter" and "fargo" (also tv series) yesterday :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:30:52 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:30:16 »
sorry, 'murica.

'MURICA

Show Image

faster than 99% of the us
nice try tiger

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:33:16 »
sorry, 'murica.

'MURICA

Show Image

faster than 99% of the us
nice try tiger

not mine, that's just a google fiber reply the euro guys saying 'nice try, America"
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:24:44 by tigersharkdude »

Offline iri

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:53:25 »
yeah, for sure 'MURICA #1

-Ray Bradbury

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:11:24 »
hahaha. Yes in America where most user still have connection over 50+ years old copper ran by greedy companies who are also mostly now owned by major movie/television. As far as internet goes many others are so far ahead. But then most other countries don't have such massive distances to cover, plus having the telco and mostly in effect ISP ran by the state or at least seriously regulated as a utility helps in a huge way also. I hope we can get the FCC proposal to turn ISPs into utility here in USA... it might help reign them in some and maybe even force them to start putting some work into infrastructure upgrade.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:27:06 »
hahaha. Yes in America where most user still have connection over 50+ years old copper ran by greedy companies who are also mostly now owned by major movie/television. As far as internet goes many others are so far ahead. But then most other countries don't have such massive distances to cover, plus having the telco and mostly in effect ISP ran by the state or at least seriously regulated as a utility helps in a huge way also. I hope we can get the FCC proposal to turn ISPs into utility here in USA... it might help reign them in some and maybe even force them to start putting some work into infrastructure upgrade.

reign them in??

you mean like how energy companies don't own the government??

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 12:26:37 »
Do you have any clue how high energy prices would be if it wasn't for regulation?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 12:29:22 »
Do you have any clue how high energy prices would be if it wasn't for regulation?

Well, if we had competing energy companies the prices would be lower.  Sure, if you're going to settle for a monopoly, a government-owned monopoly is probably better, but why aren't we fighting for competition instead?  That's the best way for consumers to win.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 12:39:17 »
This thread is just sad. The US is just waaaay behind in that regard.

Edit: 1000/1000 here :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:04:26 by damorgue »

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:09:40 »

As a fellow European, I agree.
Hey, it can't be too long until Midsommer, right? You excited?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:27:42 »

20th :)

Since everyone has posted images:

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #140 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:28:18 »

20th :)

Since everyone has posted images:
Show Image

Andddd, I'm moving to Sweden
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:56:04 »

Well, if we had competing energy companies the prices would be lower.  Sure, if you're going to settle for a monopoly, a government-owned monopoly is probably better, but why aren't we fighting for competition instead?  That's the best way for consumers to win.

who is WE... we, our government, we the people, we as in YOU -IvanIvanovich- ?

Do you see the problem now?

Offline iri

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:57:17 »
i already packed

are swedish laws okay with blatant downloading of tv series on a daily basis?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:42:56 »
At this point I don't really believe consumers can win, just loose less. Sure competition is good... but you have issues like who owns the lines, and how do you allow competitors to use them? Surely running 7 different sets of utility lines down the street isn't really a good way to go. Now assuming we get past that, we still need heavy regulation and oversight to make sure those different companies are not in collusion and doing things like price fixing schemes.
Now lets say, we have a grid that is owned and maintained by your city/county/state who then leases that to X companies to serve the public... that could work maybe. But also, at that point why not just let the entity that controls the grid take care of the service? The only question then, is a state run monopoly better or worse than a sanctioned private monopoly?
If we apply the same scenario to ISP, where instead of power grid, we have some government entity in charge of installing and maintaining fibre... we might have a snowballs chance in catching up to other developed nations. We already see that most ISP can't be bothered to do it. I am sure they are quite content collecting $50/mo for 7-15mbps on minimally maintained copper their great grandfathers laid while throttling that access for various activity/content types. Actually investing in their infrastructure might dip into the ceo's multimillion dollar salary after all!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:51:55 »
At this point I don't really believe consumers can win, just loose less. Sure competition is good... but you have issues like who owns the lines, and how do you allow competitors to use them? Surely running 7 different sets of utility lines down the street isn't really a good way to go. Now assuming we get past that, we still need heavy regulation and oversight to make sure those different companies are not in collusion and doing things like price fixing schemes.
Now lets say, we have a grid that is owned and maintained by your city/county/state who then leases that to X companies to serve the public... that could work maybe. But also, at that point why not just let the entity that controls the grid take care of the service? The only question then, is a state run monopoly better or worse than a sanctioned private monopoly?
If we apply the same scenario to ISP, where instead of power grid, we have some government entity in charge of installing and maintaining fibre... we might have a snowballs chance in catching up to other developed nations. We already see that most ISP can't be bothered to do it. I am sure they are quite content collecting $50/mo for 7-15mbps on minimally maintained copper their great grandfathers laid while throttling that access for various activity/content types. Actually investing in their infrastructure might dip into the ceo's multimillion dollar salary after all!

2 things will happen

Either we unite and live under one happy corporation..

OR

War...

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:24:00 »

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 21:53:22 »
Been getting these speeds for the past week or so.  I didn't upgrade my service? 

No complaints here.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 22:00:35 »
Been getting these speeds for the past week or so.  I didn't upgrade my service? 

No complaints here.

Show Image

Seems like the opposite happens to me!  :))