Author Topic: Gateron Teardown  (Read 88595 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Gateron Teardown
« on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:06:04 »
Check out the Gateron IC

I purchased 15 Gateron Blues and 10 Gateron Blacks from Taobao recently to do some Cherry comparisons. If you want any other pictures or info, just ask!

First off, everything about the smoothness was absolutely true. The blacks felt great, and the blues were soft. One thing to note though, as Zeal mentioned in his Gateron build thread, these are somewhat difficult to fit into the PCB, the problem seems to arise from the PCB mounting stabs being either too thick or too far apart, which can be solved by sanding them slightly. The plastic used in the housing seems to be more flexible than that used for Cherry switches; the clips on the tops were much easier to pry apart. Keycaps also fit very tightly to the Gateron stems, comparable to Alps switches.
Can you put gateron stem in MX housing?
Yep

So would you say they're a good alternative?
Depends on your preferences, but they certainly could be, and I'd say pretty much across the board yes for linears.

I'm curious how these stand against heavy use.  Is the leaf the same durability as cherry MX?  Does it feature that cherry crosspoint tech?
since these are relatively new, no one really has any information on the long term durability of them, though most people seem to be wondering about the softer stem plastic. Gateron claims there switches are rated for 50m presses, like Cherry

Are these easy to buy or do you have to snag em when you see these things?
It seems that each seller (on Taobao) seems to keep a max of 200 switches in stock at any time, so you have to get them when you can find them.

The Blues:

The top is branded Gateron in place of Cherry, inscribed into the housing, the opposite of Cherry. Instead of an "A" next to the LED hole, there seems to be arbitrary (I'm not sure of the significance at the moment) letters on the left including "B,C,K,F,I, and A" and an "O" on the right.

Use: The first thing one notices is the higher actuation point. The Gateron actuates almost a mm higher than the MX blue. The hysteresis is also worse, the stem needs to almost fully return to register again. The click is also more pronounced in the Gaterons.

There are a few slight differences in the leaf, mostly in the shape.

(Gateron left, MX right)

(Gateron left, MX right)

Again, there are a few differences in the shape of the stem, but for the most part they are the same. The clicking mechanism is shaped slightly differently. The Gateron stem also has a nib that fits into the clicking mechanism.

Weight=60g

Blues final verdict: The higher actuation point is certainly interesting, mostly opinion though as to if it's better or not. Same goes for the more pronounced click. The smooth stem is certainly a plus and acts to replace the smaller amount of lube.

Blacks:

(MX left, Gateron right)

One thing I noticed about both the switches is that the little indent on the stem is on the opposite side, facing the top of the switch instead of the bottom. The Gateron stem extends slightly farther out than its MX counterpart. The smooth stem is most notable with the linear switch, stock Gaterons are comparable to lubed or vintage MX blacks.

(MX left, Gateron right)

The Gateron switch is slightly longer and seems to be made of a slightly different material or mix than the MX spring.

Weight=60g

Final verdict: Gateron blacks feel incredibly smooth compared to MX, and slightly lighter.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 February 2015, 10:44:03 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Gateron Teardown
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:13:37 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:16:31 »
Yep

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline snipars

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:16:46 »
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:23:34 »
Sooooo.... we definitely know the Cherry leaf is of higher quality..  But I mean.. only in the sense that it's got gold plated.. but, then again, the gold probably wears through pretty quickly on the 2 side nubs part.. so... there wouldn't be any mechanical advantage.. (smoothness)

wait is the cherry leaf gold plated? or is it only the contact portion.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:25:41 »
Depends on your preferences, but they certainly could be, and I'd say pretty much across the board yes for linears.

Sooooo.... we definitely know the Cherry leaf is of higher quality..  But I mean.. only in the sense that it's got gold plated.. but, then again, the gold probably wears through pretty quickly on the 2 side nubs part.. so... there wouldn't be any mechanical advantage.. (smoothness)

wait is the cherry leaf gold plated? or is it only the contact portion.
Moslty just the contact portion, it doesn't extend all the way down the pin

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:26:48 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:29:14 »
It seems that each seller (on Taobao) seems to keep a max of 200 switches in stock at any time, so you have to get them when you can find them. I put an order in for some of the super heavy (like super blacks) yellow Gaterons, but they went out of stock before the proxy could put the order in.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:42:22 »
I'm curious how these stand against heavy use.  Is the leaf the same durability as cherry MX?  Does it feature that cherry crosspoint tech?

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:43:59 »
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing! I think someone should put together a group buy for these, I would definitely buy a couple bags worth.  :)

Is there a Gateron equivalent of Cherry Clears?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:43:59 »
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing! I think someone should put together a group buy for these, I would definitely buy a couple bags worth.  :)

Is there a Gateron equivalent of Cherry Clears?
I can't think of one off the top off my head. The gateron clears are like lighter reds

since these are relatively new, no one really has any information on the long term durability of them, though most people seem to be wondering about the softer stem plastic. Gateron claims there switches are rated for 50m presses, like Cherry
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:48:06 by hwood34 »

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:56:48 »
Nice write up! hope to see these become more widely available
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:09:32 »
Nice write up! hope to see these become more widely available
Just wait ;)

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:26:25 »
Very nice write up!

Gaterons for the Corsa it is :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:26:33 »

oh come on.. this is a leaf spring and a plastic slider.. it's not like they just produced some quantum annealing machine..

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:29:31 »
Very nice write up!

damn straight yo

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 21:38:48 »
Very nice write up!

damn straight yo

Everyone joining the bandwagon. Chu chuu~~
#LinearGaterons2k15

Slightly off topic, but still relevant.

Gateron Switch Condoms were made for V1 style (First switch on the left)
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 21:40:19 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 21:44:21 »
What would a Gateron blue with a jailhouse mod in a cherry bottom housing and Gateron translucent top housing approximately feel like?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:05:36 »
What would a Gateron blue with a jailhouse mod in a cherry bottom housing and Gateron translucent top housing approximately feel like?
Well, since the Gateron blues already activate really high, it might be an uncomfortably high actuation point. The cherry bottom wouldn't really make a difference, structurally they're the same, just with slightly different pegs on the bottom

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:10:03 »
What would thin lube on a black gateron feel like?

Well, since the Gateron blues already activate really high, it might be an uncomfortably high actuation point. The cherry bottom wouldn't really make a difference, structurally they're the same, just with slightly different pegs on the bottom
Guess no Gateron blues for me.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:14:51 »
What would thin lube on a black gateron feel like?
They're already so smooth, but pretty much sex on fingers. Thick would be better though

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:22:36 »
Would you say it is worth it to buy the switches for the clear tops and then put them on MX switches? Or are they too opaque to be a benefit for the cost.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:25:09 »
Would you say it is worth it to buy the switches for the clear tops and then put them on MX switches? Or are they too opaque to be a benefit for the cost.

Stay tuned. I'll be sourcing some clear tops to try out. These v2 gaterons are more of a milky white.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:25:16 »
I mean, it's up to you whether that's worth it. The clear tops are certainly cool, better than anything else available. It would just be a little expensive to buy switches for just the tops. Though if you can speak a little chinese, they sometimes sell just the tops on Taobao but the savings aren't that great

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:26:58 »

Stay tuned. I'll be sourcing some clear tops to try out. These v2 gaterons are more of a milky white.
Awesome! I will have to try some if you start to carry them.
I mean, it's up to you whether that's worth it. The clear tops are certainly cool, better than anything else available. It would just be a little expensive to buy switches for just the tops. Though if you can speak a little chinese, they sometimes sell just the tops on Taobao but the savings aren't that great
I might order a couple and see what they are like with LEDs, and determine if it is worth it, they are a lot cheaper than just the clear tops that were on techkeys, but now they are sold out anyway.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:35:43 »
I might order a couple and see what they are like with LEDs, and determine if it is worth it, they are a lot cheaper than just the clear tops that were on techkeys, but now they are sold out anyway.
They're also higher quality.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:36:56 »
I assume you mean the ones off of techkeys, and I assumed that, but if not, that's interesting.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:39:19 »
I assume you mean the ones off of techkeys, and I assumed that, but if not, that's interesting.
The Gateron tops are higher quality, and can actually flex without breaking

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:44:18 »
Do they make clears?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:54:42 »
Do they make clears?
edit: whoops, though you meant another thing. and not that I know of. IIRC the only tactile switch they make is brown
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:13:54 by hwood34 »

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:25:23 »
Thanks for writing this up. These sound like something fun to try next.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:29:32 »
I feel like a scrub, at first glance i was like the the blue one on the left is cherry! that weird bluish color is the gateron. I was wrong :/, i have much to learn...

Thanks for posting a break down though! What was the pricing on the switches you got?
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:32:13 »
I feel like a scrub, at first glance i was like the the blue one on the left is cherry! that weird bluish color is the gateron. I was wrong :/, i have much to learn...

Thanks for posting a break down though! What was the pricing on the switches you got?
I can remember exact per switch,  i think for the 25 plus proxy fee it was like $11. International shipping wasn't cheap though

Offline minh278

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:37:04 »
Have you tried putting an mx-stem in a gateron switch or the inverse? Would it work?
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:45:00 »
Have you tried putting an mx-stem in a gateron switch or the inverse? Would it work?
Between Zeal and hwood they have confirmed that they do work both ways.

Offline minh278

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:52:17 »
Between Zeal and hwood they have confirmed that they do work both ways.

Thanks!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:09:46 »
Gaterons are going to be the next big thing on GH.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline tbc

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:12:23 »
how does an inswitch led look?  does the top let the light through cleanly or does it get very blocked out compared to an abostudio?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:12:30 »
Alright, I'm going to ask the fun question! Have you tried swapping leafs from an MX switch in? (Using tweezers to pull the leafs out, then sliding in and making the contacts still work properly) I'd rather not chance it on the copper internals with the humidity level in MI during the summer.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:38:22 »
Alright, I'm going to ask the fun question! Have you tried swapping leafs from an MX switch in? (Using tweezers to pull the leafs out, then sliding in and making the contacts still work properly) I'd rather not chance it on the copper internals with the humidity level in MI during the summer.

for science !  :))
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:39:21 »

for science !  :))

More like for not having corroded sticky switches! Haha
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 04:03:14 »
It would be interesting to know the consistency between the blue switches.

Quite often someone will have a board with MX blues that does not click consistently cross the board (I have one myself).

Although I understand you have too small a sample to make a reasonable assessment (unless the ones you have are so wildly different in sound and feel, but I think you would have mentioned something obvious like that).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:06:20 »
how does an inswitch led look?  does the top let the light through cleanly or does it get very blocked out compared to an abostudio?
You'd have to ask Zeal this question, I actually don't have any LEDs on hand to test it out.

Yep, everything works nearly the same. I think the difference in feel comes primarily from the stem and spring because it feels nearly the same. I wouldn't recommend it though, it can be hard to removed the leaf from the MX switch without damaging it, that might just be due to there being some minuscule amount of solder left on the leaf, maybe this isn't a problem with new MX switches

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:52:11 »
How much did you pay?
Cost of the switches / each piece
Delivery
Taxes

From which vendor did you buy? Please add a link.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 09:58:46 »
How much did you pay?
Delivery
Taxes

I got them at ¥1.30 from loveq on Taobao. I used Taobao Focus as a proxy, international shipping was almost $20

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:02:48 »
How much did you pay?
Delivery
Taxes

I got them at ¥1.30 from loveq on Taobao. I used Taobao Focus as a proxy, international shipping was almost $20

Thanks for the vendor link hwood. I've been trying to track down some Gaterons as a cheaper alternative to clear switch housings from an RGB board... but I'm terrible at navigating Taobao. ;D

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:03:55 »
How much did you pay?
Delivery
Taxes

Thanks for the vendor link hwood. I've been trying to track down some Gaterons as a cheaper alternative to clear switch housings from an RGB board... but I'm terrible at navigating Taobao. ;D
Luckily the biggest seller of them had part of the title in english :p. But you have to jump on them when they're in stock, they sell out pretty quickly

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:04:31 »
You'd have to ask Zeal this question, I actually don't have any LEDs on hand to test it out.

Yep, everything works nearly the same. I think the difference in feel comes primarily from the stem and spring because it feels nearly the same. I wouldn't recommend it though, it can be hard to removed the leaf from the MX switch without damaging it, that might just be due to there being some minuscule amount of solder left on the leaf, maybe this isn't a problem with new MX switches

It's not a problem at all with unsoldered switches. The leaf from a damaged clear I have (switch top is messed up) came out with no problem. Went back in with no issue, and still actuates perfectly.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:05:37 »

It's not a problem at all with unsoldered switches. The leaf from a damaged clear I have (switch top is messed up) came out with no problem. Went back in with no issue, and still actuates perfectly.
Alright, good. Still pretty tedious doing that 100 or so times :p

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 10:06:00 »
Yes, 1.3 Chinese Yuan equals 0.18 Euro

Considering that a cherry switch costs about 0,55 eur, you need to buy more than 50 switches to even consider the gaterons. Plus the cost of the proxy (maybe it was included).