Author Topic: Need Help for my DIY Keyboard!  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Noxiousnada

Need Help for my DIY Keyboard!
« on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 04:19:41 »
Hello.
So i just thinking about making my own keyboard here some specs:

Colortheme:
F-Zero
Retrostyle
Gameboy (that Thicc grey one)

Switches/Keycaps:
Slient, no tactical or clicky

Keycaps dosent touch the Bottomplate for beeing qieter

sound of typing can be a bit metallic or a nice "bumb"sound like on old Rubberdome, not to cheap or plasticy

Board:
Full Board with Numpad
RGB

Case:
Should not change the sound of the keyboard overall

Which bottomplate s better? some sort of metallic or arcyl?

one more idea:
[which i need to get made]
Sideilluminated, at half of the case, a thin like max
5mm stripe around the case

Also i need some sites where i can buy that needed stuff.

Peace and ty for ur help!

Offline nevin

Re: Need Help for my DIY Keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 07:25:58 »
do some research, most of the stuff you're looking for exists.

Colortheme / keycaps
- to get the light to shine through the keycap you'll have to stick with default set or a set similar to them (usually pretty plain and not that great quality, usually mainly black or white keycaps with transparent legends)

none of these custom keycap sets are backlight keys (light will NOT shine THROUGH the keycap, only out from UNDER it)
- sets to check out (some are past group buys)
   - GMK DMG - game boy style
   - GMK Laer - cyberpunk theme
   - GMK Future Funk
   - JTK Classic FC
   == retro ==
   - SA Jukebox
   - SA Retro

Switches:
- so you want a silent linear switch, there are a handful from different manufacturers
   - cherry has some silent linear switches
   - gateron has some silent linear switches
   - Zeal has some silent linear switches

Board
full size..... there are not many full size options in the custom arena especially full size and rgb
- only full size rgb that comes to mind is the GMMK. not a total custom, but hot swap
- looks like AOPO 108 might be an option as well, not sure if rgb is programmable (you'd have to research)

Case
- layered acrylic can sound very nice as well as some of the heavy aluminum cases, look for gasket mount or similar for the aluminum cases.

one more idea:
- a diffusion layer for underglow (this is a pretty common feature)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Noxiousnada

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:58:13 »
Colortheme / keycaps
- to get the light to shine through the keycap you'll have to stick with default set or a set similar to them (usually pretty plain and not that great quality, usually mainly black or white keycaps with transparent legends)

so u mean the light only shines through the letters from beneath it?
if so, this would be okayish i think^^

Switches:
- so you want a silent linear switch, there are a handful from different manufacturers
   - cherry has some silent linear switches
   - gateron has some silent linear switches
   - Zeal has some silent linear switches

So i was looking around and i like that cherry slient blacks.

So the next problem will be: iam qwertz user not a qwerty, is there a way to get them from that sites where the most guys buing it stuff? (novelkeys and so on)

hmm...

and do u have some sites where i can buy everything?
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:09:11 by Noxiousnada »

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 08:25:31 »
so u mean the light only shines through the letters from beneath it?
if so, this would be okayish i think^^

on most per key RGB, the LEDs are actually on the PCB and shine through the switch as well as the keycap. so yes, the RGB LEDs are under the switch & keycap

So i was looking around and i like that cherry slient blacks.
(cherry silent blacks have a black opaque housing, this would defeat the purpose of RGB)
...looks like the gateron silents have black housings as well
...if you want RGB and silent linear you would want to go with something with a transparent housing
some examples
Zeal - Pink Rosélios / Sakurios (Silent Linear)
Zeal - Orange Healios V2 (Silent Linear)
 - or you could try swapping a silent stem from cherry or gateron into one of the RGB compatible housings from either cherry or gateron (which would still probably be cheaper than zeal's offerings) i don't know if there was any changes to the switch housings to accommodate the bumpers on the stem of the silent switches. would be something to look into....

So the next problem will be: iam qwertz user not a qwerty, is there a way to get them from that sites where the most guys buing it stuff? (novelkeys and so on)

because most keycap sets have different profiles for different rows the key would look out of place if you moved a qwerty "z" to a qwertz "z"
...."z" is row 4 profile in qwerty, but row 2 profile in qwertz

language kits do come up in some of the group buys. but with any of the group buys, the caps are opaque so the legends won't "lite up" like they do on typical "gamer" keyboards

...just ran across another full size rgb keyboard.... the wooting two (pre-order) and it's available in a german iso layout!

anyway... happy hunting!
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68