Author Topic: [IC] H1 Linear Switch by HHHH - In-Stock Sale Tomorrow  (Read 96535 times)

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Re: [IC] H1 Linear Switch by HHHH
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 06:02:17 »

And why would you "need to change the top" ?

just because nylon sounds better and fit tightly, not requiring the usage of switch films like the rest of the switches with PC tops?
Sound is subjective, and I prefer the sound of H1s to other switches with nylon tops. Also, you haven't even tried the switch, so I don't think you should comment on the wobbliness.

If nylon tops are your first priority, may I direct you towards MX Blacks.

So many feeling in this thread. Only thing I wish is that they came with zero lube. Any chance that would happen? As someone who lubes, its more work to clean off someone else’s non careful application. Not to mention, who knows what type of lube it is. Personal preference of feel and sound is such a variable, I’m surprised this isn’t brought up more.
This is a good point, let me talk to HHHH.

Offline dyka.tran

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 09:44:39 »
So many feeling in this thread. Only thing I wish is that they came with zero lube. Any chance that would happen? As someone who lubes, its more work to clean off someone else’s non careful application. Not to mention, who knows what type of lube it is. Personal preference of feel and sound is such a variable, I’m surprised this isn’t brought up more.

+1 to this opinion. If there isn't any lube, will the price get cheaper?

Offline irew0w

• a dog
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 14:53:06 »
very interested 👀

Offline lolpes

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:25:11 »

Sound is subjective, and I prefer the sound of H1s to other switches with nylon tops. Also, you haven't even tried the switch, so I don't think you should comment on the wobbliness.

The concern regarding wobbliness and and rattle was raised in this thread a few times already:

I experienced the same, although we have yet to see what happens with the Marshmallow switches.

To be clear, historically films were designed to reduce "wobble" in which the top visibly wobbles side to side when you move the slider around. However nowadays by and I think many people use them to reduce "rattle", in which under normal typing conditions the top housing vibrates against the bottom housing. Cherry MX, Gateron (including Zealios), and JWK switches all seem to need it. Kailh Creams need it too but not all films fit due to their thickness. The difference is mostly noticeable in sound, but you can also feel the reduced vibration depending on how sensitive your fingers are. It's even more noticeable with silent switches. It also tends to increase the tactility of tactile switches.

And the reply to simply increase the tolerances may require a bit more than that. Not looking for drama but seems like a few good concerns where raised, and they to have been simply dismissed for the sake  of keeping the hype train moving.

The switches do look promising but the marketing happening here is kind putting me off any additional interest.

Anyway, interested, don't mind factory lube, and hope no additional work will be required to improve the switch to make it what it is trying to accomplish.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 21:09:25 »

The concern regarding wobbliness and and rattle was raised in this thread a few times already:

I experienced the same, although we have yet to see what happens with the Marshmallow switches.

To be clear, historically films were designed to reduce "wobble" in which the top visibly wobbles side to side when you move the slider around. However nowadays by and I think many people use them to reduce "rattle", in which under normal typing conditions the top housing vibrates against the bottom housing. Cherry MX, Gateron (including Zealios), and JWK switches all seem to need it. Kailh Creams need it too but not all films fit due to their thickness. The difference is mostly noticeable in sound, but you can also feel the reduced vibration depending on how sensitive your fingers are. It's even more noticeable with silent switches. It also tends to increase the tactility of tactile switches.

And the reply to simply increase the tolerances may require a bit more than that. Not looking for drama but seems like a few good concerns where raised, and they to have been simply dismissed for the sake  of keeping the hype train moving.

The switches do look promising but the marketing happening here is kind putting me off any additional interest.

Anyway, interested, don't mind factory lube, and hope no additional work will be required to improve the switch to make it what it is trying to accomplish.

I'm sorry you feel that this thread is full of marketing fluff, but we've been as transparent as can be. HHHH asked the factory to tighten the tolerances, and the tops were thickened to prevent against the "snappy" sound that people tend to dislike, and counter with switch films.

Anyhow, if you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Offline ballinboyz

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 15:23:18 »

+1 to this opinion. If there isn't any lube, will the price get cheaper?

+1. Factory lube adds to the manufacturing process and detracts from the final product.

Offline jrs

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:46:57 »
Will the thicker tops make it so switch films can't be used?

Offline walie

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 17:20:30 »
Can we get confirmation that the tops are actually thicker using some measurements with some calipers? I wouldn’t be surprised if JWK is also lying about this claim.

Offline cryworm

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 18:24:25 »
I am also against factory lubed switches. I feel like most people that want lubed switches know exactly how they want them to feel, and will be fine doing it themselves.

One point I haven't seen mentioned is: Alpacas are also nylon bottom, PolyCarb top, and POM stems made by JWK/Durock. It seems the differences between the H1s and Alpacas is the "thicker" top housing and spring weight. Are they any other big differentiations between the two? JWK and Durock are the same factories right?

Enigma, maybe you should put out an IC form to gauge how people feel about the pre-lubed switches. Either way I'll prob buy 70 just because I love linears.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 20:02:55 »
With Covid-19 rampaging all over, do you wait until China has opened up their factories again or do you start the GB before and pray that the timeline matches up later on?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 22:43:02 »
Will the thicker tops make it so switch films can't be used?

Switch films still can be used, just not necessary IMO. The thicker tops won't stop you from applying them.

Can we get confirmation that the tops are actually thicker using some measurements with some calipers? I wouldn’t be surprised if JWK is also lying about this claim.

I will test that once I am home from my vacation. Keep in mind that occasionally, misinformation is spread due to the language barrier, not because they intent to mislead their customers.

I am also against factory lubed switches. I feel like most people that want lubed switches know exactly how they want them to feel, and will be fine doing it themselves.

One point I haven't seen mentioned is: Alpacas are also nylon bottom, PolyCarb top, and POM stems made by JWK/Durock. It seems the differences between the H1s and Alpacas is the "thicker" top housing and spring weight. Are they any other big differentiations between the two? JWK and Durock are the same factories right?

Enigma, maybe you should put out an IC form to gauge how people feel about the pre-lubed switches. Either way I'll prob buy 70 just because I love linears.
Durock is a company that manufactures switches using the OEM JWK. I'll try to get some more switches and do in-depth comparisons once I am home. IC form is a maybe, I think most people are against factory lube haha.

With Covid-19 rampaging all over, do you wait until China has opened up their factories again or do you start the GB before and pray that the timeline matches up later on?
The group buy will likely open after. We wouldn't want to start collecting money until we're certain that the factory is able to handle the order.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 02:21:44 »
Durock is a company that manufactures switches using the OEM JWK. I'll try to get some more switches and do in-depth comparisons once I am home. IC form is a maybe, I think most people are against factory lube haha.

Would it be possible to even get them without the factory assembling them? This would ramp up lubing and spring swap speed dramatically, and reduce the risk of you getting bad reviews from people who tries to use them without lube.

Offline manzel

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:24:15 »
But shipping loose parts just screams for damaged leafs.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 04:56:04 »

Would it be possible to even get them without the factory assembling them? This would ramp up lubing and spring swap speed dramatically, and reduce the risk of you getting bad reviews from people who tries to use them without lube.

This just screams bad reviews because of all the damaged parts while shipping. Also, people that are here probably know if they want to lube and if they don't then that's their own choice.
Don't be lazy, use lube and let it slide smooth and nice.  :thumb:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline vegs

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 05:30:02 »
+1 on no factory lube if possible
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 10:58:18 »

It's likely possible, but would create a furfillment nightmare. Also, not delivering a complete, assembled product isn't very professional, and we likely won't be taking this route.

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 15:08:50 »
Very interested - also can we skip the factory lube? Everyone will want to lube their own switches I imagine

Offline cdhoffmann

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 15:39:03 »
Very interested - also can we skip the factory lube? Everyone will want to lube their own switches I imagine

READ

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 20:41:37 »
The question was literally asked 50 times just above you my friend.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 08:34:33 »

It's likely possible, but would create a furfillment nightmare. Also, not delivering a complete, assembled product isn't very professional, and we likely won't be taking this route.
Well, it's not complete without lube, and IKEA seems to  do ok sans assembly. I get what you're saying, and it's hardly a deal breaker  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 08:37:15 »
I mean I'd never want it because unless they're packaged Drop style as individual pieces (expensive), there's no way the leaves wouldn't get all busted up.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 16:26:07 »
Yeah the leafs would get wrecked if unassembled.

Offline jrs

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 22:19:26 »
I hope these won't be much more expensive than the Alpaca switches.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Re: [IC] H1 Linear Switch by HHHH - Vendors Announced
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 00:09:19 »
Vendor Announcement!
We've partnered with these amazing vendors to bring this switch to every corner of the world!
North America: Novelkeys
Europe: MyKeyboard
Asia: iLumKB 
Oceania: DailyClack

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 00:18:33 »
Great to hear back on the proxies! Is there any general timeline as of yet?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 00:32:53 »
Great to hear back on the proxies! Is there any general timeline as of yet?
Not yet, due to coronavirus.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 00:34:58 »
Have there been anymore proto switches shipped out for review? I’d like some more impression on the switch, just to get a better idea of what they are

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 03:17:45 »
As long as these are priced alongside the other JWK switches, I'll probably buy some. heavy boi springs though wew

+1 great pricing on alpacas, hoping to see a similar price on these, if not lower. Given these are a gb

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 05:27:57 »
Are the requested mold changes going to be applied to all JWK switches in the future? Or will they be exclusive to the H1 and future switches by HHHH?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline 43studio

• none
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 08:20:44 »
Hello guys,43 studio there.
Recently, there are lot of friend tells me that there is a switch on Geekhack that is very similar to my obsidian switch, I read the post and I will respond to the following points:
First of all, the accusation of plagiarism H1 switch.I got the idea to make an extremely smooth switch just like vintage MX black at October the 2019 when I were loving using vintage black switches .To achieve this.I place the order with some new technology to jwick in the end of October 2019.
And I got my sample at Nov.28,Share them with my trusted friend,earlier then HHHH got the sample.
At January of 2020,I Sold some test Pack,and begin Group buy from jan.14 to Feb.14
HHHH is everything later then my obsidian switch ,and you just accuse me of plagiarizing your switch? Plz tell me how can I stealing your ideas?
About the clone.This two switch have significant difference,obsidian using 62cn Black spring,and the custom build switch tops with a side engraved 43 studio logo.
The following are some evidence screenshot and links:
1.   The picture I got sample and share with my friend(Nov.28)

2.   My IC post in Zfrontier(A famous Chinese form):
https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/18102
I hope you will respond one by one to what I said above,I have relevant legal documents, if necessary, can be litigated;

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 08:47:14 »
Yeah the leafs would get wrecked if unassembled.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless they ship the bottom housing in a box with rails like Drop Halo switches, there's a good chance that many of the switch leafs would get wrecked.

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 09:56:27 »
I hope you will respond one by one to what I said above,I have relevant legal documents, if necessary, can be litigated;

I'd just like to say, thanks for making my job easier. With drama like this, the reviews write themselves.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:00:45 »

I'd just like to say, thanks for making my job easier. With drama like this, the reviews write themselves.

kek

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #183 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:14:33 »
This is one of the dumbest arguments ever if your new switch design isn’t patented. Like wtf haha. And most switch designs I see aren’t creating something that is patentable. Using new materials for a switch is like saying I designed a new button down shirt but I used a new material for buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:24:10 »
Recently, there are lot of friend tells me that there is a switch on Geekhack that is very similar to my obsidian switch, I read the post and I will respond to the following points:
First of all, the accusation of plagiarism H1 switch.I got the idea to make an extremely smooth switch just like vintage MX black at October the 2019 when I were loving using vintage black switches .To achieve this.I place the order with some new technology to jwick in the end of October 2019.
And I got my sample at Nov.28,Share them with my trusted friend,earlier then HHHH got the sample.
At January of 2020,I Sold some test Pack,and begin Group buy from jan.14 to Feb.14
HHHH is everything later then my obsidian switch ,and you just accuse me of plagiarizing your switch? Plz tell me how can I stealing your ideas?
About the clone.This two switch have significant difference,obsidian using 62cn Black spring,and the custom build switch tops with a side engraved 43 studio logo.
Show Image

Show Image

dude, you're literally copying a switch (cherry mx black), which isn't exactly a distinct colourway, and then when somebody else makes a black switch you complain, get outta here... If you're salty about it just run your own parallel GB

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:28:51 »
Show Image

Show Image

dude, you're literally copying a switch (cherry mx black), which isn't exactly a distinct colourway, and then when somebody else makes a black switch you complain, get outta here... If you're salty about it just run your own parallel GB

HHHH wanted me to clarify this: in China, there is a very similar switch being produced that is essentially a clone of the H1. HHHH created this switch first, and he wanted to make this clear to avoid any confusion.

it was an allegation against, presumably 43 studio, which was why they responded.
I don't see anything wrong if A called out B, and B comes out to defend himself.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:29:24 »

I don't think it's about patented design or something like that, i think it's a response to HHHH claims that he came up with the switch first:

HHHH wanted me to clarify this: in China, there is a very similar switch being produced that is essentially a clone of the H1. HHHH created this switch first, and he wanted to make this clear to avoid any confusion.

Anyway, gotta love the drama :)

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:32:04 »
1.The picture I got sample and share with my friend(Nov.28)
Show Image

Show Image

2.My IC post in Zfrontier(A famous Chinese form):

it was an allegation against, presumably 43 studio, which was why they responded.
I don't see anything wrong if A called out B, and B comes out to defend himself.
I mean without having some timestamp showing when HHHH created his everything he said is kinda baseless. I can come out and say I created a switch before either. Means nothing if I can't prove it. Just like they cant call me out without proving it also.

Offline quad_h

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:36:58 »
Show Image

Show Image

The original plan was 67 grams, but it was changed to 78 grams. To resemble a cherry's black axis

My Chinese and English skills are terrible, so I ask for your understanding first.

Your first thought is from 2019 to October.
My first thought is August, 2019.

I may have received the sample later than you because I am in Korea,
but the day when the factory delivered it to me was November 11.
And I sold some sample switches in my Korea store. That's November 26th.

The final switch, not the sample, was launched on January 6 in Korea.

I did not make my own mold and prepared using existing mold.
JWK told me Your switch said the logo is on the top shell ?? ( anyway ) and some of the materials are different.

but As stated in the previous article, I didn't want to add to the confusion.
Nevertheless, many people asked if it was like your switch.
I have been discussing with vendors and testing switches for GB for a long time.

The idea of you and I was very perfect.
It can be seen as the destination that everyone wants.
It doesn't matter who thought first or who made it. But I think that based on Cherry switch is not a monopoly.

I am not good at English, so my foreign friend is helping me.
This process may have been misplaced. Please excuse me. I never meant to blame you.
I really wanted to get off the hook. in some suspicious people.

I hope we can prepare a good switch together next time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:52:21 by quad_h »

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:37:23 »
Show Image

Show Image

ah ok I didnt see that, both are ridiculous.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:37:26 »
what i find funny is how the accuser has pictures in messenger of him saying to someone "DON'T LEAK THIS". How the hell do you trust someone enough to share something, but then you feel the need to prevent them from leaking it?

which in itself looks either blatantly naive or the pictures are fabrications, not that it is, but come on....

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:42:20 »
What quadh says makes sense. I'm still on board. And he provided his proof. Good enough for me.

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:42:35 »
what i find funny is how the accuser has pictures in messenger of him saying to someone "DON'T LEAK THIS". How the hell do you trust someone enough to share something, but then you feel the need to prevent them from leaking it?

which in itself looks either blatantly naive or the pictures are fabrications, not that it is, but come on....

It's more of a insurance for oneself. Like when you're handling something off the book and has yet to get to the surface, you wouldn't want it to get exposed anywhere before you planned for it.
Not that saying that will help prevent the matter, but the fact that you did say it and can screen capture it later on to use it against whomever exposed the material makes your words more reliable. Cases like this is when the chat history can come to play.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:43:26 »
So the whole story essentially is just 43 got upset over HHHH saying how he came up with the idea first, but it was based on the mold of the supposed-came-about-later-on obsidian switches of 43. Is it just me losing track or there are some inconsistencies here?

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:44:22 »
So the whole story essentially is just 43 got upset over HHHH saying how he came up with the idea first, but it was based on the mold of the supposed-came-about-later-on obsidian switches of 43. Is it just me losing track or there are some inconsistencies here?

Give me a week or two and hopefully I will be able to parse this out into a review/update on the drama. Aside obtaining switch sample I am also talking with some of the parties involved in one capacity or another.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:46:08 »

Give me a week or two and hopefully I will be able to parse this out into a review/update on the drama. Aside obtaining switch sample I am also talking with some of the parties involved in one capacity or another.
Pming you on discord

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:46:14 »

Def interested in outcome. I'd like to try one of these switches. Lol

Offline quad_h

« Reply #197 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:50:17 »

I don't know the circumstances of JWK.
My final switch has no logo at switch
This will be a difference from his switch.
Anyway, I just want to say that I didn't steal his idea and It is that it has been prepared from the past.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:27:17 »

So clearly, I was not fully aware of what was going on hear, and due to the language barrier, ocassional inaccuracies were spread.

Here's what I've learned after hearing from both parties:
43 thinks he had the idea first, gave screenshots from October.
HHHH shows he had the idea first, gave screenshots from August.
Based on that, logically speaking, the molds used for the H1 switch are NOT modified molds from the Obsidian switch. Additionally, the Obsidian switch has a logo while the H1 switch is unbranded. HHHH has reached out to JWK, and is pending a response.

Also, based on what I've been able to piece together, the H1 and Obsidian samples may have came from the same mold, but in the end, 43 created his own molds. I'm still not 100% certain on this, so keep that in mind.

At this point, I'm not even certain that the Obsidian switch and H1 uses the same molds, and I suspect I won't be certain until I can get my hands on some and compare side-by-side. I will keep everyone updated, but based on the information above, I think it's clear that HHHH had the idea for a modern take on vintage blacks before 43 did, and a litigation would be utterly pointless.

EDIT: As HHHH puts it, similar switches can and should coexist. Similar molds are entirely possible; especially since both parties were after a switch that felt similar to vintage blacks.

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:32:20 by eniigma »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:30:26 »

So clearly, I was not fully aware of what was going on hear, and due to the language barrier, ocassional inaccuracies were spread.

Here's what I've learned after hearing from both parties:
43 thinks he had the idea first, gave screenshots from October.
HHHH shows he had the idea first, gave screenshots from August.
Based on that, logically speaking, the molds used for the H1 switch are NOT modified molds from the Obsidian switch. Additionally, the Obsidian switch has a logo while the H1 switch is unbranded. HHHH has reached out to JWK, and is pending a response.

At this point, I'm not even certain that the Obsidian switch and H1 uses the same molds, and I suspect I won't be certain until I can get my hands on some and compare side-by-side. I will keep everyone updated, but based on the information above, I think it's clear that HHHH had the idea for a modern take on vintage blacks before 43 did, and a litigation would be utterly pointless.
This sounds about right.