Author Topic: [IC] Numpad /w 2 rotary encoders, oled  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Sebastien

[IC] Numpad /w 2 rotary encoders, oled
« on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 17:22:59 »
Hey there everybody,

I was discussing starting a project with someone to design and build a custom numpad/macropad and sell it in a groupbuy. Here's the quick sketch I made of the layout in paint: https://imgur.com/a/xVWtN7y
Would it be something you'd be interested in? You'd have options to have a brass plate aswell, optional switches and keycaps. It would come with 2 rotary encoders and an oled screen and most importantly, the reason I wanted to make this, it would have bluetooth.

I just had a few questions:
1. Are media keys favored?
2. Any other features worth implementing?
3. Price range you find comfortable?

Any constructing criticism would be awesome.

Much thanks.

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 April 2021, 17:36:46 by Sebastien »

Offline Darth_munkee

Re: [IC] Numpad /w 2 rotary encoders, media keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 17:27:01 »
It's a good idea and you should run with it. Develop it more to where you know specifics of the device like is it going to have an onboard MCU or daughter board like a pro micro. People are going to tear this apart a bit because of the lack of information at this point though.

Offline Baka Bot

Re: [IC] Numpad /w 2 rotary encoders, oled
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 17:29:38 »
I wait for prototyping first.

Offline Sebastien

Re: [IC] Numpad /w 2 rotary encoders, media keys
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 17:33:51 »
It's a good idea and you should run with it. Develop it more to where you know specifics of the device like is it going to have an onboard MCU or daughter board like a pro micro. People are going to tear this apart a bit because of the lack of information at this point though.

Yeah, I'd get that. It's still a really early phase idea and wasn't sure how else to post it as I wanted to know if there was interest for it but thought it'd be too early for an actual interest check.
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Volny

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 18:11:31 »
I would hope the Fn key is remappable like a normal key. My Ducky Pocket has a Fn key that isn't, and is one of the reasons I don't like it

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 23:59:20 »
Soon, we will have a macropad fully built on encoders, complete with 2 full HD screens

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Sebastien

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 03:27:38 »
I would hope the Fn key is remappable like a normal key. My Ducky Pocket has a Fn key that isn't, and is one of the reasons I don't like it

What would you remap it to?
Why would you not like it as it gives you more options to make macros with 1 through 9 for example by pressing fn along with them?
Thx for your comment already. We definitely want to make it as modular as possible so that's a great point to think about.

Offline Sebastien

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 03:37:30 »
Soon, we will have a macropad fully built on encoders, complete with 2 full HD screens

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Might aswell just go with a single larger 4k touchscreen display so you don't need the rotary encoders and are free to put whatever you want on it. Oh wait, such thing already exists.😳 In all seriousness though, you think it is overkill?

Offline Volny

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 09:50:38 »
Why would you not like it as it gives you more options to make macros with 1 through 9 for example by pressing fn along with them?

That is easy enough to do with AutoHotkey. I do the same thing currently with capslock (eg. When I tap capslock it acts normally, but when I hold it while pressing other keys, it performs various macros without altering lowercase/upper-case). I do similar things with other keys too. AutoHotkey is incredibly powerful and flexible, so your Fn key is almost certain to have more potential if it's exposed as a regular key to programs like autohotkey rather than controllable only from within the numpad.

The benefits of having an exposed Fn key can also be quite prosaic. Maybe I just want the top 4 keys of your numpad to activate, say, the C, M, Y, K channels in Photoshop. But if Photoshop can't read the Fn key (or if I can't remap it to something Photoshop can read), then I can't easily map a shortcut to it from within Photoshop. At best, I have to go into some 3rd-party utility to set up the shortcut. At worst, it's flat out impossible because the Fn isn't designed to be pressed on its own and/or isn't exposed to the OS.

Offline Sebastien

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 12:35:33 »

That is easy enough to do with AutoHotkey. I do the same thing currently with capslock (eg. When I tap capslock it acts normally, but when I hold it while pressing other keys, it performs various macros without altering lowercase/upper-case). I do similar things with other keys too. AutoHotkey is incredibly powerful and flexible, so your Fn key is almost certain to have more potential if it's exposed as a regular key to programs like autohotkey rather than controllable only from within the numpad.

The benefits of having an exposed Fn key can also be quite prosaic. Maybe I just want the top 4 keys of your numpad to activate, say, the C, M, Y, K channels in Photoshop. But if Photoshop can't read the Fn key (or if I can't remap it to something Photoshop can read), then I can't easily map a shortcut to it from within Photoshop. At best, I have to go into some 3rd-party utility to set up the shortcut. At worst, it's flat out impossible because the Fn isn't designed to be pressed on its own and/or isn't exposed to the OS.

Ok thank you. I will definitely take this into account going further. I appreciate your input.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 21:00:53 »
I would like this if it was a smaller form factor, like 3x3 or 3x4 keys.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline cheb

• Mechmarket pricing analysis
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 19:38:41 »
I've been looking for a numpad with rotary encoders, but something on the higher end with an aluminum case, ~100 USD. Laneware recently had the MACRO-1, which looks great, but $175 for a numpad was brutal. Something more similar to the KBDPAD with an extra rotary encoder or two.

Personally, I don't care much for the OLED screen, but its ok.

Making it QMK compatible seems like a pretty top priority if you are worried about remapping. Hope this goes a little bit further.

Offline robsta

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 00:46:37 »
holy **** nice, with bluetooth i will be in, :DDDDDDD

[img width=198 height=78]

Offline moshimochi

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 19:12:04 »
I would love this! I’d just want the option to split that 2u + key into two, to be able to map + and - in that area. Same deal with the zero key

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 00:19:48 »
The concept has my interest for sure as I've been looking for a numpad setup and I like rotaries, but I'd need a lot more details before knowing if this is one I'd put money into a GB for or not.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline mochili96

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 22:28:06 »
Definitely interesting, can't wait to see more of what it'd look like beyond the layout.
Having an 6 degree incline would be nice!