Author Topic: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - Fixed split space plates if you want em.  (Read 73542 times)

Offline DetectiveNio

Re: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - Half done Invoices
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 23:58:53 »
The form did ask for shipping address. 2nd or 3rd question iirc. That's why OP said "remember to include zipcode etcetc" a few replies above

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - Half done Invoices
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 00:41:27 »
Hi! Just want to confirm the invoice amount already includes shipping & handling fee right for the amount is higher than USD185? (I don't remmeber whether the form asked for shipping address. if it does, i surely add my address in)

If you wanted one kit, its $185 + $15 shipping conus = $200
If you got an extra top, its $185 + $15 for extra top + $15 Shipping = $215

Also, if you're not in CONUS, I made it clear in the invoice that I'm charging you for shipping later, once the cases are made, since I don't have a contract for international flat rate. Should be a reasonable amount for USPS though.

Also, all invoices are out except for one user who wanted multiple tops but didn't contact me.

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2019, 00:42:59 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline iJeeSung

Re: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - All invoices out
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 01:03:11 »
Wow thanks for going so easy on us for the shipping. Much appreciated

Offline Datastream

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 06:52:06 »
I bet shipping to EU is like 35+ usd

Offline infinitecurry

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 08:29:22 »
Just paid my invoice!

Offline diddykang

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 19:09:34 »
Paid invoice!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 23:38:34 »
Alright, and away we go. Belle has been paid for the first half of the print job, so that should start in the coming days. Wei and I are just finalizing the PCB order, and the plate has been turned into a gerber and is ready to be sent to a PCB house to be made.

Don't hesitate to reach out to rndkbd@gmail.com (You can PM, but I'll just make you email me so I have all my GB communication in one place) if you've got any questions. I'll try and post updates every couple days, even if it's just a "just waiting for things, Belle and I still walk this earth" type of thing.

Thanks all, can't wait for everyone to enjoy their boards.

- Typed on a PLA75

Offline Datastream

Re: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - Printing Order Submitted
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 05:55:58 »
I'll try and post updates every couple days, even if it's just a "just waiting for things, Belle and I still walk this earth" type of thing.

Appreciated dude

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 07:07:32 »
Belle is ordering new PEI sheets for her printers, so the surfaces of the case that are the first layer of the print will be very smooth with almost no defects (the tops are printed upside down, so this means the top faces will be really nice). Might add a few days to the total time, but it will be worth it.

PCB order is placed with Wei, I'll submit the plate order when I have some time this weekend.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 16:26:22 »
Damn, I missed this one. Hopefully there will be another round, or some extras will be available.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 20:00:24 »
Belle is well underway printing the lowers. PCBs are en route and all paid for, plates will be ordered tomorrow or Monday. Not much has changed, just giving my every few days updates as promised.

Andy

Offline Capsy

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 20:05:02 »
Thank you Andy !!

Offline Datastream

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 03:44:21 »
I'm hyped

Offline h.parks

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 22:13:59 »
thank you for the great communication so far on this GB, keep it up
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline iJeeSung

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 03:05:33 »
thank you for the great communication so far on this GB, keep it up
Wish I could thumbs up to show I agree. This quote will have to suffice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 26 October 2019, 21:02:10 »
Hi everyone. Somewhat weekly update time:

Printing is going well, I'll share a little tale of troubleshooting on the fly with you:

Belle's printers do not have removable sheets like those fancy store bought units, so she's gotta pry the bases off the PEI sheets... not good for the PLA75, as we don't want defects. Pulling by the USB cutout resulted in those warping, so we had to come up with something else.

Since the bottom is completely surrounded by the top shroud, there are two little pry slots printed into the case to allow a pair of screwdrivers and some strong hands to lift the cases off the print bed - pretty nifty IMHO.

So yeah, production continues, Belle is getting those fresh PEI sheets on the beds this weekend, and then the production of the tops will begin on those perfectly pristine smooth sheets  :thumb:

Have a good weekend y'all

Andy

Offline johnnysstash

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 28 October 2019, 16:57:03 »
who/how should i contact for an address change on my order? i bought a house and need my order shipped there instead of my old house! thank you.

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 09:36:28 »
Are we on track for mid nov delivery? :)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 10:51:41 »
Are we on track for mid nov delivery? :)

I'm not sure how far along Belle is with the printing, but she mentioned doing the translucent ones first, so the delivery date might be a little later for the colored cases/tops. On the order of a week or two, no insane multi month delay.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 11:06:27 »
I'm very excited to try this. Take your time

Offline Oni74

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 18:28:36 »
I'm very excited to try this. Take your time
But not too much time... ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 21:17:44 »

Happy Halloween. Bottoms are coming out nicely.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 21:30:36 »
Oh wow those look great. Excited

Offline TieuNgu

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 13:27:26 »
https://mkultra.click/collections/75/products/kbd75v1-foam-combo

I'm just wondering if these foams work / help improving the sound of this board?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 17:20:31 »
https://mkultra.click/collections/75/products/kbd75v1-foam-combo

I'm just wondering if these foams work / help improving the sound of this board?

Yeah, they should fit. Can't comment on how they'll affect the sound profile of the board though. I may have to try one from mkultra

Offline diddykang

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 04:22:13 »
Looking good!  :thumb:

Offline idlemao

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 13:57:37 »
Wish I could have gotten in on this :(

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 23:07:28 »

Working through printing at a good pace. I sent a prototype plate to Belle so she can make a build and test fit every unit before it is shipped out. Plates for the GB still have yet to be ordered, as I'm waiting for the ADK18 plates to come in so I can evaluate how the fit is, since I'm getting plates cut at a different place than the PLA75 prototypes. However, those are in my city and I think I can pick them up Wed/Thurs, so I'll get the order for the PLA75 plates submitted before the end of the week - and its DHL, so it comes really fast and Belle's printing will still be the slowest link ;)

Also, I'm officially letting you guys know that the fulfillment date for these is going to spill into December - no major setbacks, I just overestimated the print capacity we were working with. My apologies.

What switches/caps are y'all planning on putting in these? I've got lubed T1s in my proto, and I think I'm gonna do Kalih Creams in a second build for the ultimate linear sound.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 November 2019, 23:10:26 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline Datastream

Re: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - Half Done Lower Cases
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 05:46:47 »
Excited but I can wait a little longer if I must. :)

I'm planning on putting silent inks in it or silent ink in cream. PBT caps on it probably

Offline Bayhan

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 09:01:41 »
I'm also getting creams, I'm just having trouble getting a keycap set, I had my eyes on a GB but missed out, I'm just getting into another one so I might be waiting before having the final build, still battling if I should just get a cheap set while I wait for the GB.

Offline thecezar

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 09:54:02 »
Got some zealios that have sitting for a while. Also, so random keycaps that I have that will have to do until I get the KAT eternal keycaps.

Offline infinitecurry

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 10:23:23 »
Excited to try milky gateron yellows with this. I have no idea about the keyset, but I got a neutral color so I'll probably slap on one of my ePBT sets.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:02:52 »
Hi everyone, I need some feedback. Belle is concerned about the finish of the colored tops, as opaque filament doesn't have the amazing flaw hiding ability that translucent ones do.

A typical top finish is this (please look at the imgur album)

http://imgur.com/gallery/fM3zqQd

She's printing a few more to evaluate - I just want to make sure these are consistent with your expectations for the surface finish. If this is acceptable to most, then full steam ahead - if not, I'll be offering a color change - there are some translucent filaments with a hint of color that would both hide surface flaws and give a little color to the build.

Please stay tuned for more pics, and let me know what you think.

Andy

Offline Oni74

Re: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - I need your feedback!
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:03:51 »
Hi everyone, I need some feedback. Belle is concerned about the finish of the colored tops, as opaque filament doesn't have the amazing flaw hiding ability that translucent ones do.

Show Image

She's printing a few more to evaluate - I just want to make sure these are consistent with your expectations for the surface finish. If this is acceptable to most, then full steam ahead - if not, I'll be offering a color change - there are some translucent filaments with a hint of color that would both hide surface flaws and give a little color to the build.

Andy
Definitely not a fan of what's going on at the edges.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!! Let's figure this out together.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline infinitecurry

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:09:35 »

Show Image

Andy

I forget what I ordered (iirc it was a translucent filament anyways) but I would probably switch to a translucent filament if I got opaque.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:11:04 »

Show Image

Andy
I'd vote for a translucent filament as well if that finish can be avoided.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:41:28 »
Seems like a consensus so far. So here's the plan. Belle wanted a few more days to see if a little more tweaking could make the difference, so I'll give her that. If we've got no luck, I'll contact everyone who got colored tops and offer them an exchange.

I'm thinking we can use https://www.3dsolutech.com/store/pla (check page 2 for the see through stuff). It'll be a splash of color with the defect hiding properties of translucent filament.

So that's my plan to make this work - I'm sorry that we've gotta make changes, but I'd rather the transparent (heh) and make sure people are getting good stuff.

A final note: the printing defects are an artifact of how large these pieces are, and maintaining thermal stability on a plate that large is very difficult. As y'all know, keyboardbelle is an expert at this stuff, but sometimes you just run into physical limitations. Structural flatness is easily achievable (the bottoms are dead flat, but you don't see the odd defect since it's face down), but of course it's not the case on the tops.

Let me know if that works. Andy
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:43:11 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline Capsy

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:57:02 »
Seems like a consensus so far. So here's the plan. Belle wanted a few more days to see if a little more tweaking could make the difference, so I'll give her that. If we've got no luck, I'll contact everyone who got colored tops and offer them an exchange.

I'm thinking we can use https://www.3dsolutech.com/store/pla (check page 2 for the see through stuff). It'll be a splash of color with the defect hiding properties of translucent filament.

So that's my plan to make this work - I'm sorry that we've gotta make changes, but I'd rather the transparent (heh) and make sure people are getting good stuff.

A final note: the printing defects are an artifact of how large these pieces are, and maintaining thermal stability on a plate that large is very difficult. As y'all know, keyboardbelle is an expert at this stuff, but sometimes you just run into physical limitations. Structural flatness is easily achievable (the bottoms are dead flat, but you don't see the odd defect since it's face down), but of course it's not the case on the tops.

Let me know if that works. Andy
Sounds perfectly reasonable. Thanks.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:58:21 »
Also, I'm not sure if this applies to all tops, or just the Yung brick style. I'll let everyone know when I know.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 19:07:45 »
So, it looks like it is all cases.

I'll contact everyone who has a colored case, and give them some options to switch - people may have/want to decrease the amount of tops they're ordered, and I have no problem with that.

Belle is printing a sample with the colored yet see through filament, as she happened to have a roll on hand, so rather than waiting for a week to see how that is we will know tomorrow. I hope that is a reasonable compromise, because as simple as it would be to force everyone to have a translucent top, I want to give some options for different builds.

And, seeing as how I can't please everyone, I'll be making a shortlist of respondents to this thread if anyone ends up dropping. Email rndkbd@gmail.com if you'd like a spot on that waitlist.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 19:22:52 »
Just sent an email to all participants:

Hi there, if you've been following the PLA75 GB thread you may be aware of the issues regarding the surface finish of the top cases - if not, here's the coles notes:

Due to the size of the print and the imperfections inherent in any build plate, there are some imperfections on the tops of the build - you can see pictures here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102633.msg2831196#msg2831196
Keep in mind that this is 3D printed and not CNC milled, but with that being said I'd like to offer everyone the opportunity to swap to a translucent (or colored see through, see attached image) top. We are printing a sample with an orange translucent filament, and will have pictures tomorrow. You'd be able to adjust the amount of tops as well, and you will be refunded if you'd like to decrease the amount (I completely understand!)

So please let me know if:
a) I understand the imperfections that may be present on a colored top and I'd like to keep my order as is
b) I'd like to switch to translucent top(s), as they don't show the printing defects
c) I'd like to switch to a colored translucent top. Pictures will be available tomorrow of a sample.

Check your PayPal invoice if you aren't familiar with what you ordered to save some back and forth. Please be timely with your response, as I want to keep this group buy moving - this is not a "disaster," I'd just like to ensure everyone is happy with what they are getting, and should not majorly impact the timeline of the group buy.

Andy

Attached image:

So yeah, I'd rather give everyone a heads up and an opportunity to switch than have some people not be satisfied when the GB ships.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 19:25:43 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline Capsy

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 21:26:33 »
Just sent an email to all participants:

Hi there, if you've been following the PLA75 GB thread you may be aware of the issues regarding the surface finish of the top cases - if not, here's the coles notes:

Due to the size of the print and the imperfections inherent in any build plate, there are some imperfections on the tops of the build - you can see pictures here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102633.msg2831196#msg2831196
Keep in mind that this is 3D printed and not CNC milled, but with that being said I'd like to offer everyone the opportunity to swap to a translucent (or colored see through, see attached image) top. We are printing a sample with an orange translucent filament, and will have pictures tomorrow. You'd be able to adjust the amount of tops as well, and you will be refunded if you'd like to decrease the amount (I completely understand!)

So please let me know if:
a) I understand the imperfections that may be present on a colored top and I'd like to keep my order as is
b) I'd like to switch to translucent top(s), as they don't show the printing defects
c) I'd like to switch to a colored translucent top. Pictures will be available tomorrow of a sample.

Check your PayPal invoice if you aren't familiar with what you ordered to save some back and forth. Please be timely with your response, as I want to keep this group buy moving - this is not a "disaster," I'd just like to ensure everyone is happy with what they are getting, and should not majorly impact the timeline of the group buy.

Andy

Attached image:
Show Image

So yeah, I'd rather give everyone a heads up and an opportunity to switch than have some people not be satisfied when the GB ships.
Thank you !! I'd reply to the email once the sample pics are in.

Offline Datastream

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 02:44:37 »
Oof. I had a standard transparent and opaque black top but I guess the black top has got to go. I'll wait a few days for the new translucent sample pictures and decide if I'll drop the black top or not. Thanks for the heads up

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 10:15:58 »

There is an example of a colored yet translucent filament. The finish is much nicer, and the semi-transparency keep everything looking nice. Belle and I are happy with these, so onward we forge. We've got a black carbon fiber printing right now, so I'll get pics of that up if it turns out as well, as a lot of people wanted a black case.

So we will see how the carbon fiber goes, then please get back to me via email.

Andy

Offline Oni74

Re: [GB] PLA75 Gasket Mount 75% - Colored Translucent Sample
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 10:33:03 »
Thanks for the update. I'll wait for the black CF picture before deciding, and will reply to your email.

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 11:37:16 »
Thanks for the update. I'll wait for the black CF picture before deciding, and will reply to your email.

The black CF is printing right now, so we'll get those pictures updated as soon as it finishes.

Large scale 3D printing is still somewhat the Wild West, so I want to make sure I'm balancing what is possible to make with what materials will look the best.

I had some scraps of a color-changing 3M 1080 vinyl wrap Yung Brick print, so those are posted below (I am not an expert in vinyl wrapping, but there should be guides online and it involves a heat gun, craft knife, and some decent vinyl.

Also, I just quickly trimmed the corners. There must be a guide to folding them properly.

I ❤️ 3D Printed Cases ⌨️ Keyboardbelle.com ⌨️

Offline Capsy

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 15:09:31 »

The black CF is printing right now, so we'll get those pictures updated as soon as it finishes.

Large scale 3D printing is still somewhat the Wild West, so I want to make sure I'm balancing what is possible to make with what materials will look the best.

I had some scraps of a color-changing 3M 1080 vinyl wrap Yung Brick print, so those are posted below (I am not an expert in vinyl wrapping, but there should be guides online and it involves a heat gun, craft knife, and some decent vinyl.

Also, I just quickly trimmed the corners. There must be a guide to folding them properly.

Show Image

Show Image

Wow that looks amazing haha

Offline wonderfulrobot

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 16:26:58 »
Replied to email...

Even more excited about a colored translucent top than my original order

Oh and....

+1000 on the communications on this GB

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 17:49:25 »

If I hold my breath, I think I can print at least a few carbon fiber tops this quality.

I just started another Yung Brick since the first one came out well, so I'll keep pictures posted.

There's some luck involved in this - I don't mind burning through a few rolls of Carbon Fiber if the print success rate is decent.

I may go ahead and wrap these in paper and label them so they don't get scratches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2019, 17:52:24 by keyboardbelle »
I ❤️ 3D Printed Cases ⌨️ Keyboardbelle.com ⌨️

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 18:06:08 »
Those look awesome. Thanks for working overtime Belle. Let's cautiously say that carbon fiber is also available. Just reply to the email I sent everyone if you'd like to change, I don't mind :).