Author Topic: How to turn on NumLock on Model M mini?  (Read 10663 times)

Offline lal

How to turn on NumLock on Model M mini?
« on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 21:58:27 »
Shift-NumLk/ScrLk enables the integrated numpad.  But apparently NumLock is off because 'u' functions as "cursor left", 'j' is "End", etc.  How can I turn NumLock on in this mode?  The combined NumLk/ScrLk key doesn't work, no matter what modifier key is pressed simultaneously.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline sandy55

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 01:28:00 »
It sounds strange to me.
cursors or home/end ( and others ) on alpha keys work in Numlocked mode using in combination with Shift key.
I would like to know how you get cursor function to left with "U" key.

If your BIOS set to Num Lock on upon system boot. ( this might be default selection ) ,
then Windows automatically set your mini M in Num lock mode. You will get "4" typing "u" key.
So normally, you need to press Shift/Numlock to set your alpha keys for normal usage to get "u", "i", "o" as printed on key caps.
Pressing Shift/Numlock let the num block in the alpha keys to Num lock mode.
Now you will get 4,5,6 from U,I,O keys respectively.
to move cursor left direction, you have to press Shift/U. In the Numlock mode, Caps lock
doesn't wotk as shift function for those double assigned keys ( num block in the alpha keys).
At least mine works as above.

But why you want to get numbers or cursor function by using alpha keys?
Numbers are already there  below function keys,  page up/down, home/end and cursors are ready to use without pressing Shift/Numlock.

Am I reading your comment wrong?  

If you typed your comment with mini, then your Shift keys should be OK because you wrote comment in combination of Caps and small letters.
But if not, check your board if you can get small letters or not. It seems like your Shift key is permanently on no matter if it get pressed or not.

Offline lal

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 09:36:02 »
Sandy, thanks for your help! My M mini is working fully right. I just booted into Windows XP and there it works exactly as you described. Shift-NumLk activates the numpad in the alpha section and 'u' gives '4', 'j' gives '1', Shift-u is "cursor left" and Shift-j is "End", et cetera.  So there is no separate NumLock-key to switch between number and cursor mode of the "fake" numpad permanently. Didn't know that.

FYI, the behavior I described in my original post appears in my normal work system, which is Ubuntu GNU/Linux 8.04.1.  Apparently the OS seems to set the NumLock status to "off" on boot because at the virtual consoles, after pressing Shift-NumLk to activate the fake numpad, the numpad-keys work as cursor keys.  However, Shift does *not* switch to number mode, e.g. 'u' as well as Shift-u are both "cursor left" and I can't get the u-key to produce a '4'.  So it's entirely an issue with the operating system and not the keyboard, because it's working correctly in Windows XP.

But on the other hand it's not an issue at all for me, because I don't need the fake numpad.  I got the M mini for a reason after all, and that is: I never ever use the numpad.  I've just been curious about how it's supposed to work.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline sandy55

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 January 2009, 19:58:00 »
Quote from: lal;17754
My M mini is working fully right.
snip
So it's entirely an issue with the operating system and not the keyboard, because it's working correctly in Windows XP.

Congrats.
I'm totally ignorant in Linux.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 January 2009, 03:10:52 »
Quote from: sandy55;17792
I'm totally ignorant in Linux.

Me too.

Offline heathcotegeo

Re: How to turn on NumLock on Model M mini?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 23:39:48 »
Just so you know, the behavior I described in my initial post is present in the Ubuntu GNU/Linux 8.04.1 operating system that I use for my regular work system.  Because activating the false numpad at the virtual consoles requires hitting Shift+NumLk, the operating system appears to set the NumLock status to "off" on boot. This is evidenced by the fact that the numpad keys can be used as cursor keys after pressing Shift+NumLk.  However, Shift does not transition to number mode. For example, pressing 'u' or Shift-u both yield the same result (the "cursor left"), and I am unable to make the u-key create the number 4.  Because it functions appropriately under Windows XP, it can be deduced that the problem lies solely inside the operating system and not with the keyboard.