Author Topic: Good Morning!  (Read 2836 times)

Offline wery

Good Morning!
« on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 09:51:09 »
I found the forum via Reddit and pulled the trigger on registering once I saw the zine post!

Currently have a Pure Pro w/Cherry MX Browns, CM Storm w/Cherry MX Blues, 2 scrap terminals w/Vintage Cherry MX Blacks and I am awaiting the arrival of the Bantam kit, which I will probably populate with some custom Cherry MX Browns or the scrapped blacks.

I am stationed in NYC with the USCG, been here for 3 years and was in NOLA before. Was with the NOLA Hackerspace before it died and also with the hackerspace on Staten Island until it died also (storm crow). I enjoy soldering and I am most interested in hunting down and scavenging vintage boards.

Cheers

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Good Morning!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 09:53:33 »
Welcome to GH :). Thanks for your interest in my zine. Looking forward to your pictures! I too love vintage boards, especially non-Cherry boards :D.

Offline wery

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 09:55:16 »
All I can find so far is Cherry boards :/

Me and the wife are planning an epic Jersey City thrift adventure, so here's hoping!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 10:03:31 »
I love thrifting so much :). About a year ago, J&R dumped stock and there was a lot of Cherry and other vintage goodies on eBay. Might be able to track some of that down.

Offline Geckt

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 10:39:17 »
Hello there, also a newb user here. I read vintage blacks in the list, are they supposedly heavy than than even the greens? :)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 10:55:14 »
welcome to the forums :thumb: :thumb:
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 11:49:41 »
Welcome! I hope to read of your thrifting adventures in the near future  :)

Offline wery

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 11:59:30 »
Thanks everyone!

And as far as the blacks, they feel like smoother Browns, also I have no idea of how switches feel besides Cherry Browns and Blues.

Offline Geckt

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 00:33:38 »
Thanks everyone!

And as far as the blacks, they feel like smoother Browns, also I have no idea of how switches feel besides Cherry Browns and Blues.

Ahh nice, I am just obsessed with really heavy switches without the clicky part ofc.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:20:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Do the terminals still work?

Anyway, old terminals do tend to be a good source of vintage switches.  I have an old Link terminal with blacks in it, but it still works and I still use it as a terminal!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wery

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:49:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Anyway, old terminals do tend to be a good source of vintage switches.  I have an old Link terminal with blacks in it, but it still works and I still use it as a terminal!

Unfortunately the terminals don't work. I had to convince a Salvation Army worker to get them out of their outdoor scrap pile. maybe 70% of the keys on each were scavengable. I am glad I got them before they got rained on again! Just have to set up a time to desolder everything and test all the switches... The coolest bit is the arrow keys that are grey with yellow arrows, all doubleshot.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:52:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Unfortunately the terminals don't work. I had to convince a Salvation Army worker to get them out of their outdoor scrap pile. maybe 70% of the keys on each were scavengable. I am glad I got them before they got rained on again! Just have to set up a time to desolder everything and test all the switches... The coolest bit is the arrow keys that are grey with yellow arrows, all doubleshot.

Sounds like Wyse!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 00:48:54 »
Sounds like Wyse!

You mean, "Wise-a*s," right? That's what we used to call them in college!  :D :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 00:52:29 »
Sounds like Wyse!

You mean, "Wise-a*s," right? That's what we used to call them in college!  :D :D

Ahahahaha :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 00:53:24 »
Sounds like Wyse!

Ahahahaha :)
Awesome  :)