Author Topic: [IC] GMK Grėseann 2  (Read 92273 times)

Offline Qarmaa

Re: [IC] GMK Grėseann 2
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 13:16:55 »
I'm very confused in regards to the kitting decisions here. The 3 key wasn't added to base, the spacebars are part of a massive extension kit that most people won't use 10% of. I'm just curious as to how this is the most efficient way of doing things, unless you're being strongarmed by your vendors to cut down on kitting. While I appreciate the addition of some 40s friendly keys, still having to pay for all available kits kinda ruins that for me personally.
The reasoning for extensions kit is explained in 1st post. Please refer to that. 40s not gonna be in base. From my side I'll try to provide good price for it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 January 2022, 13:20:42 by Qarmaa »

Offline Tyson

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 13:35:58 »
I feel like this is going to be a tough sell against triple-shot JTK Griseann, which is shipping this quarter (supposedly), and will have lots and lots of extras (probably 1500+, looking at the numbers).

Bigggggg doubt, GMK > JTK by a long shot imo. While I really like Hoodrow, I'm not a fan of JTK at all.

How is GMK much better than JTK? Most if not all issues that are happening with JTK are happening with GMK as well. Misaligned letters(check the 'Z' key), thickness issues(check skinny '?'), sometimes warped spacebars. And to their list of issues they recently added not properly sized 3u spacebars and different textured keys in the same set. So, I think they both have advantages over each other, rather than one being way better than another. Triple shot and price(though recent JTK prices are also not super cheap, they came with a pretty big layout support) are also big plus.

Ehh, I guess it's just down to preference for me. I just don't like the texture of JTK caps, the one JTK set that I've owned, JTK Tianwen. There were minor things that stood out to me that I never see with GMK caps. The plastic that was shot into the caps to make the legends looked separated and had it's own texture to it. I also disliked how inconsistent the thickness was for certain mod legends and alpha legends. Something about the shape of the caps felt more OEM than cherry to me. I'm sure a lot of people don't have these issues with JTK but these were my main gripes with their caps. I do like that they are advancing their technology and making triple shot a reality! What they are doing for the community is fantastic!

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 14:04:48 »
Wait... what's going on with the Į symbol?

The render, as it is now, is showing a ς letter (GREEK lowercase final S, U+03c2), instead of a Į (LATIN uppercase C with cedilla), which is the character(s) [upper and lowercase: Į and į, U+00c7 and U+00e7] actually produced by the US International layout.

I also would review the front-printing on the R3 \| keycap: in the UK layout, # is in the base layer, and ~ is in the Shift layer, so I'd expect them to be in the inverse order: #~.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 14:11:45 »
Į symbol
Please note that on the renders it's not the proper size or either 100% accurate because it's traced. Please check GMK Greek Beige how it's gonna look irl. Fix for the renders pending.

This confirms my suspicion: please be advised that ς and Į are NOT different renderings of the same character and don't even represent the same letter in their respective alphabets; this particular change is actually an error that should be rolled back.

Offline lemongrassii

• ig
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 14:13:26 »
Super happy to see this, really missed not having shinethrough caps with JTK. That being said, the purse icon looks disproportionately wide in the renders, can that be understood as an inaccuracy or are you planning on getting a new mold made?

KMAC HAPPY × DOLINGER 2017 × ORION V3 + LIGHTPAD V2 × 280 × IDB60 × LEAF60 × 8XV1.2OG × 8XV2.0ADD × GSKT-00 × TENGU × BIAS × RF87U × HHKBP2+HHKBPC+HHKBPH TYPE-S

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 14:19:26 »
So hyped for this to run. Just hoping the extension isn't too pricey. Do we really need 2xR1 PF1?
poker II

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 14:35:29 »
Wait... what's going on with the Į symbol?

The render, as it is now, is showing a ς letter (GREEK lowercase final S, U+03c2), instead of a Į (LATIN uppercase C with cedilla), which is the character(s) [upper and lowercase: Į and į, U+00c7 and U+00e7] actually produced by the US International layout.

I also would review the front-printing on the R3 \| keycap: in the UK layout, # is in the base layer, and ~ is in the Shift layer, so I'd expect them to be in the inverse order: #~.
Thanks for a heads up. Both things will be fixed.

Super happy to see this, really missed not having shinethrough caps with JTK. That being said, the purse icon looks disproportionately wide in the renders, can that be understood as an inaccuracy or are you planning on getting a new mold made?
It's just a render thing. Will be using trusted old one =)

Offline XiXora

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 19:13:02 »
Sad to see the HHKB sublegends go but if I'm the only one fighting for that… 🤷‍♂️

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 20:19:17 »
shooting my shot for r0

Offline actress

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 22:03:39 »
yesssss. Keep the mac icons imo

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 00:11:22 »
yes 1000000%

tyvm

Offline gloomycloud

• me enjoy 60s
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 01:21:03 »
this is nice, thank you
HHKB Pro 2 || Polaris || Kei || Meridian || X60 V2

Offline white_rabbit

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 07:12:02 »
It hurts to see kitting like this.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 08:13:08 »
I'd really love to have r4 over r5, but realize I am probably in the minority. Would you be open to doing a child kit for the bottom row? Either a r5 or a traditional r4 kit?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 11:04:14 »
I'd really love to have r4 over r5, but realize I am probably in the minority. Would you be open to doing a child kit for the bottom row? Either a r5 or a traditional r4 kit?

typically these kits don't do that well at GB, but as an r4 preferrer, i'm not opposed to trying
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MK47

• Don't talk to me
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 11:29:21 »
Qarmaa with another banger. Will be buying multiple sets.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 12:30:25 »

typically these kits don't do that well at GB, but as an r4 preferrer, i'm not opposed to trying

Tbh, I really only need it for left alt because that's what I use to crouch/slide in games. R5 is kinda weird to slide you thumb onto from the spacebar.

I do have vanilla WoB though, so worst case I can steal left alt from that set.

Offline stomaha

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 13:25:23 »
Love the kitting. In for both kits.

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 13:59:24 »
This is just so cool! Totally Considering this!!!

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 14:01:16 »
omg the cloverleaf supers are BEAUTIFUL THANK YOU

Offline actress

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 14:29:19 »
Qarma can you do Solarized dark 2 while you're at it lol
Straight bangers from you indeed

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] GMK Grėseann 2
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 17:56:27 »
As said in Discord, +1 for xbox backspace sublegend as R1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 18:09:28 »
This good.

Offline aaronlau

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 21:04:20 »
In.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 05:15:09 »
Gotta say that I'm not sure about 'PF' instead of 'M' on the macro keys, just looks cleaner with 'M'. Everything else is great though!

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 09:42:58 »
Sad to see the HHKB sublegends go but if I'm the only one fighting for that… 🤷‍♂️

Which subs, and do you mean sideprints? Alt + Opt is there, did you want HHKB arrow subs? That'd be pretty cool, as well as Del on ~`, but those would both be weird on non-60% boards. The rest, like volume, page up, page down, etc. aren't that interesting, in my opinion.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 16:31:23 »

Tbh, I really only need it for left alt because that's what I use to crouch/slide in games. R5 is kinda weird to slide you thumb onto from the spacebar.

I do have vanilla WoB though, so worst case I can steal left alt from that set.

see if you can find like a partial OG set with r4 bottom row, that might also be pretty good and won't require you to break up the vanilla set
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline coolguyzayn

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 19:15:17 »
For the Extensions kit, can you consider also including shine-through regular caps icon kinda like how gmk metaverse had both purse and non-purse caps lock included?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 19:41:12 »
For the Extensions kit, can you consider also including shine-through regular caps icon kinda like how gmk metaverse had both purse and non-purse caps lock included?

If these aren't added you should check out https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111537.0

That kit hasn't shipped yet but should be soon and will work with this set, Metaverse, WoB and others I'm sure, just can't think of every WoB esque set right now! There should be a ton of extras for it too and I don't think they will move crazy fast (Could be wrong though, not too sure who likes small kits like this)! I made sure to join during GB since it's such a versatile kit!

Offline coolguyzayn

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 20:17:35 »

If these aren't added you should check out https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111537.0

That kit hasn't shipped yet but should be soon and will work with this set, Metaverse, WoB and others I'm sure, just can't think of every WoB esque set right now! There should be a ton of extras for it too and I don't think they will move crazy fast (Could be wrong though, not too sure who likes small kits like this)! I made sure to join during GB since it's such a versatile kit!

Thanks for sharing this, however, I probably should've clarified that I was talking about adding a shine-through caps lock to go with the icon mod kit I bought from gmk wob red cyrillic.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 18:01:46 »
I'd add the UK R4 [|\] front print on the R4 [><] key to match everything else.

+1

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 21:07:01 »
In for one base kit. thank you!
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 08:28:58 »
Show Image

Į symbol
Please note that on the renders it's not the proper size or either 100% accurate because it's traced. Please check GMK Greek Beige how it's gonna look irl. Fix for the renders pending.

That's not supposed to be a Greek letter word-final sigma: ς, but rather an (uppercase) Latin letter C with cedilla: Į. Therefore, the legend in GMK Greek Beige is not appropriate.
Incorrect:

Correct:

Also, the micro sign sublegend: ĩ on the M key is too small. It should be approximately the same size as a lowercase Latin letter or other miscellaneous symbols (, ×, ÷ etc.).
Incorrect:

Correct:

Here's a recording of the actual layout in action and the characters it outputs.

Finally, it looks like some of the diacritics in the current base kit render are too small, specifically those on: Å, Á, É, Ú, Í, Ķ. You'll probably want to fix that at some point.

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 15:17:45 »
Show Image

Į symbol

That's not supposed to be a Greek letter word-final sigma: ς, but rather an (uppercase) Latin letter C with cedilla: Į. Therefore, the legend in GMK Greek Beige is not appropriate.
Incorrect:
Show Image
Show Image

Correct:
Show Image

Also, the micro sign sublegend: ĩ on the M key is too small. It should be approximately the same size as a lowercase Latin letter or other miscellaneous symbols (€, ×, ÷ etc.).
Incorrect:
Show Image

Correct:
Show Image

Here's a recording of the actual layout in action and the characters it outputs.

Finally, it looks like some of the diacritics in the current base kit render are too small, specifically those on: Å, Á, É, Ú, Í, Ķ. You'll probably want to fix that at some point.
As I said earlier, those are mostly render issues. Will be fixed with next update.

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 21:44:25 »
Update

This likely will be a final kitting:

Based on survey on R4/R5 bottom row, R5 won, so we'll going with it.

(as of 22.01.2022, not including my vote)

Changes in base kit:
- xbox backspace sublegend on pipe as separate key in honor to original run
- Mac icons from 1.5u Supers and 1u Alts removed
- swapped UK-ISO legends on R3 pipe
- added front print on R4 <>
- added R3 dedicated “Control”
- fixed Į sublegend (tho it would not affect the final product since I'm reusing all of the sublegends from original design except ¨, that one will be replaced with proper one as previously stated)

Changes in extensions:
- added another 1u spacebar key
- removed 6u off-centered spacebar
- added minimal 40s support
- removed blanks keys
- windowed caps are text now so they fit any WoB and will not look out of place

I addressed most of the feedback. Can't please everyone but I did my best to implement the changes people want the most. There is some thing I wanted to keep, that includes purse caps, icon only mods. This things will stay as they are now.
Quite a few people asked about R0. Sorry, I can't do it, it would dramatically increase the price and personally I don't see use for it (I do admit that looks cool tho).

In current state extensions kit gonna be around $45 to $50 and for someone it would be tough to swallow. But it's a support that missing in the regular WoB and I really want to give it to people so they could buy it separately and use with any WoB.

There was few requests about beige or white version. I'm not really into Royal Alpha color scheme, but I do like beige. If I was making beige addon/base, I would do it doubleshotted. Sadly there is not much demand for it, so maybe it will happen at some point, not now though.

That's all for today folks. In next update pricing, list of the vendors and GB date will be posted. See ya then.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 January 2022, 14:43:38 by Qarmaa »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 22:55:53 »
two recommendations:

F13 in base, as 88 key TKLs have become pretty common and it's effectively a standard layout these days

split out second B and spacebars into their own kit, generally alice users will be buying the spacebars anyway, and not everyone who wants the extension kit (macro column layout users especially!) will need the spacebars. i know it adds a SKU but i think it's a pretty good kitting move.

otherwise looks great to me

Offline ahpeace112

• Snayee
    • insta page
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 23:54:42 »
Cant wait for GB!
Current rotations:
| DK Saver SUS | OTD 356CL | OTD 356 CL DGE | OTD 356.2 | OTD 360C | OTD 456GT | TGR Jane V1 CE  | HK Unikorn Blue| Kyohaku | Khajit60 | Realforce 84U | HHKB Pro 1 | HHKB Pro 2 |

More
Have/Had:
| OTD 356 Mini V1 Black | OTD The Cheat | TGR Jane V2 Rose Gold | TGR Jane V2 Bluegrey | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR GAF 910 | TGE Jane V2 ME | LZ FE | LZ GH V2 | LZ CLS | KMAC 1 | Duck Orion V2 | En dash | Unikorn R1 Hot Pink | Unikorn R1 Grey | Unikorn AU PC | Unikorn R2.1 Indigo | Matrix 10 RE | Matrix 2.0og KR | Matrix 2.0og | Matrix 2.2og | Matrix 2.0add Light Blue/Silver | Matrix 1.2og | Kohaku R1 | Fidelity | Ovinnik | Merisi Ottantaquattro | KC 2/65 One off Commission | Valcun Pro | KC 1/65 | KC No 1 Rev 2 | AKB Vero | Jer1800 | Noxary 378 | BNE | Series 6xx | Haus Fnf | F1-722 | Sho Srx | Sho S60 V2 | Matrix Vita | RS60 | GS60 | SBL | GSKT | Ogre | IDB60 | 60.1 Commission | Isla Proto | Dalco 959 mini GT | Jubi | Infinitum | Iron180 | ATX 512 | Volcano660 | Polaris | Prophet | 7V | Constellation | KFE CE | Kei R1 | KBD67 | Tofu Acrylic | NCR80 |

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 09:53:52 »
Show Image

The front-printed legend placement on R4 <>|\ does not match that on R3 \|#~. In the latter key's case, the character on the left is the base legend (#), while the character on the right (~) is the shifted legend. Well, it's the opposite on the R4 key.
Since this way of positioning legends horizontally is also the more common one (base – left, shifted – right), I suggest changing the R4 key so that the backslash is on the left, i.e. \|.
I also suggest avoiding such a large gap between the two front-printed legends.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 January 2022, 09:56:39 by konstantin »

Offline actress

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 10:52:17 »
two recommendations:

F13 in base, as 88 key TKLs have become pretty common and it's effectively a standard layout these days

split out second B and spacebars into their own kit, generally alice users will be buying the spacebars anyway, and not everyone who wants the extension kit (macro column layout users especially!) will need the spacebars. i know it adds a SKU but i think it's a pretty good kitting move.

otherwise looks great to me

Agree with this.
Can't wait for GB!

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 14:30:00 »
Show Image

The front-printed legend placement on R4 <>|\ does not match that on R3 \|#~. In the latter key's case, the character on the left is the base legend (#), while the character on the right (~) is the shifted legend. Well, it's the opposite on the R4 key.
Since this way of positioning legends horizontally is also the more common one (base – left, shifted – right), I suggest changing the R4 key so that the backslash is on the left, i.e. \|.
I also suggest avoiding such a large gap between the two front-printed legends.
Noted, thank you. //updated base kit
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 January 2022, 14:40:31 by Qarmaa »

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 16:13:31 »
definitely in for base and extension

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 17:18:04 »
isn't the point of 3-key 40s in base to allow 40s users to have support without buying a $40+ kit? what's the intention to adding minimal 40s support to a kit with eighteen macro keys?

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 17:34:15 »
isn't the point of 3-key 40s in base to allow 40s users to have support without buying a $40+ kit? what's the intention to adding minimal 40s support to a kit with eighteen macro keys?
As I previously stated, none of that end up being in the base kit, sorry. I explained why in 1st post. You can always split extensions kit with someone.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 20:16:54 »
i'm a little confused as to why the first method to subsidize cost would be to find a friend willing to pay for half of one kit.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 21:32:40 »
. You can always split extensions kit with someone.

This is the worst response to kitting criticisms I’ve ever heard
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 January 2022, 21:36:11 by TyPo.mk »

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 09:33:05 »
Might be the first UV-printed set I’ll join, too beautiful to skip

Offline autocast

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 19:00:51 »
The gist of kits look great right now! Definitely in for a purchase

Offline kcching

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 04:27:23 »
I NEED THIS! Please update GB date!!!

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 11:59:02 »

see if you can find like a partial OG set with r4 bottom row, that might also be pretty good and won't require you to break up the vanilla set

No hate. I saw someone do this in a r/mm post and decided to try it. Actually very comfortable to hit with my thumb, and I wouldn't have to source a whole set for it.

281617-0
281619-1

Legend is just goofy looking.

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 18:49:46 »
Decided to split macros and other extensions to reduce cost of the extensions if you buying multiple one (if you need one kit for regular WoB and another for Griseann). Kits submitted for quotes.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 January 2022, 19:06:54 by Qarmaa »